Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

a terrible ivan posted:

The Imperial Tomb, right? I think I saw that site in one of my games. The event that adds that site mentions Marshmasters, which are MA C'tis nationals. I didn't get a chance to test it as I wasn't C'tis, but I don't think it's just fluff.

I just found this in a game and I am playing MA Ctis, but the event text said maybe the knowledge of the Arch Theugs could open it. How do I get an Arch Theug?

It also didn't mention ANYTHING about the Marshmasters to me, so maybe it just picked a random nation in the game who can open it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Arch Theurgs are Pythium. Presumably its not C'tis marshes but hydra marshes that are being referred to.

To the newbie: MA Atlantis is very much a mage-focused nation. King of the Deep have fantastic paths for both battlemagic and thugging. S random in particular can equip a Starshine Skullcap and teleport around being jerks with Frost Brand / Shield of Gleaming Gold / self-buffs & maybe armor.

If you enjoyed MA Atlantis's boring troop lineup (heh) you'll absolutely love the freespawn nations, because troop herding with zero troop strategy is how they play. To master Lemuria you need to make the most of their immortal summons & their fear+eth thug chassis, which requires you to have good knowledge of their paths & randoms, cost ratios, how buffs and blesses affect undead, and all the spells they can cast (which is probably a good 20 to 30). But for the basics, try an N9 bless with death magic, like a E5 D4 N9 Statue of Fertility, or D6 N9 Titan of Serpents and Medicine. Then you'll want to prophet your tougher commander and he'll be able to solo provinces on his own if you manage him well, and also you summon up the second tier of priests or better or any of the immortal mages and they can self-bless thug (first tier are worthless as they have 6 hp). And then once you go find some death sites you start cranking out the immortal mages and dropping them on everything using either self-bless spells or high-efficiency damage that can be repeated; don't use gear as that doesn't take advantage of their immortality.

a terrible ivan
Jul 26, 2011

We had an interpreter. He got drunk as a lord when he had to translate. So we cooked him in boiled water.

And I am playing MA Pythium! :)

It looks like the game says that some things are supposed to stay sealed.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Doesn't it make a mummy jump out, curse some people, and then joins up with you for fun?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

Doesn't it make a mummy jump out, curse some people, and then joins up with you for fun?

There are multiple possible things that can come out of the imperial tomb. You can get gold, magic items, some kind of friendly undead, some kind of hostile undead and probably more.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Man I am still having a really hard time getting R'lyeh to win battles on land. That Mind Hunt / Soul Slay combo though is really fun and keeping my interest in the nation alive.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

MagnumOpus posted:

Man I am still having a really hard time getting R'lyeh to win battles on land. That Mind Hunt / Soul Slay combo though is really fun and keeping my interest in the nation alive.

A hundred illithids mind-blasting the poo poo out of everyone works just as well above water as below. Make sure to cast arrow fend.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
So there's no way to get a 0 pop region to repopulate?

If so that's...quite a thing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Summon something beefy & ethereal to stand in front of them.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Junkfist posted:

So there's no way to get a 0 pop region to repopulate?

If so that's...quite a thing.

that's correct. loving ermor

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

TheDemon posted:

that's correct. loving ermor

Are there any gameplay mods that change that? I don't know what the modding community is like for this series but that just doesn't feel right at all.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are random events that will result in population changes. I'm not sure what is and isn't moddable, but perhaps making the population increase events trigger at a much higher rate for Population 0 provinces with Death neutral/Growth dominion provinces?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
You can't mod events. Popkill is the reason nobody likes playing against Ermor/LA R'lyeh. You go through a huge shitfight to gain a bunch of provinces that give you no real benefit except maybe some searched out sites, and then you're geared up for a fight that is well different to any other nation and someone else comes and pushes over your sandcastle.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Junkfist posted:

Are there any gameplay mods that change that? I don't know what the modding community is like for this series but that just doesn't feel right at all.
There are things we can mod and things we can't.

Stuff modders can do in Dominions 4, among other things I've probably forgotten:

- Create new land factions, including new units and so on, as well as altering pre-existing ones.
- Create new magic equipment and spells (albeit with some constraints, but Dominions fans are typically nerdy enough to find workarounds).
- Create new magic sites.
- Change some of the 'fundamentals' of the game, like how much population is required for gold, the effects of certain scales, and a few other things.

Stuff modders cannot do in Dominions 4, yet, among other things I've probably forgotten:

- Make particularly meaningful changes to forts (you can change the 'fort era' of nations, and how much forts, labs and temples cost by faction, but that's about it).
- Change events.
- Complex UI mods.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 3, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What do you mean we can't create amphibious factions? The tags neccessary to allow underwater or coastal starts and set underwater recruitment options are all documented in the modding manual. With a bit of cleverness you can even get a cave start working.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Terrain starts and coastal starts seem to work by copying preexisting nation ids.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

Terrain starts and coastal starts seem to work by copying preexisting nation ids.

That's how you get a cave start; copy agartha and clear the recruitables, overwrite the rest. You'll also get Agartha's money + resource bonus in cave forts but given that caves have lovely output this is probably neccessary for any cave start civ anyway. Coastal start is done the same way except you copy Berytos and you can completely zero or overwrite all their specials.

Underwater start though simply requires the #uwnation tag. Usage of the #likesterr and #hatesterr masks can also increase the odds of starting in certain terrain types (though not make it certain unfortunately).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

What do you mean we can't create amphibious factions?
Durr, completely forgot they added #uwbuild in the last patch. Before that, you had to mod pre-existing nations. Never mind!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Just a question: If there are, by some weird modding-related chance, more then one of the same nation in a game, how do you find out which one borders you?

I mean, just theoretically, what if you have two MA Oceania in a game, with identical flags of course and one of them borders you? Do you send a message to both of them and hope no-one is lying? Is there some kind of method to find out which one of the players is the one close to you without sending weird messages like "do you have a border with me"?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Any news on Awesome Sites? It was my favorite Awesome mod.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

Libluini posted:

Just a question: If there are, by some weird modding-related chance, more then one of the same nation in a game, how do you find out which one borders you?

I mean, just theoretically, what if you have two MA Oceania in a game, with identical flags of course and one of them borders you? Do you send a message to both of them and hope no-one is lying? Is there some kind of method to find out which one of the players is the one close to you without sending weird messages like "do you have a border with me"?

Change the mod so that one of the Oceanias has a new flag. Is it a mp game?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Burnsaber posted:

Change the mod so that one of the Oceanias has a new flag. Is it a mp game?

I'm assuming it has to be, because otherwise message sending would be out.

You can change the mod after the game is live, even just for yourself, if you want.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

drat and I thought Waterworld was a strange game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now this is funny. :v:

Superterranean posted:

I'm assuming it has to be, because otherwise message sending would be out.

You can change the mod after the game is live, even just for yourself, if you want.

Yes, it's a mp game. And I don't know if I should change the mod, it isn't my mod. Also the mod is messed up enough, I don't want to add to the problems.

(It turns out Dom4 lists two MA Oceania in Waterworld when you want to send messages, but after looking under statistics, I saw one of the MA Oceania was in truth EA Oceania.)

Edit:

Also, thanks to Absum contacting me on IRC I now know which Oceania I should be talking to.

Edit:

The several restarts of Dom4 I had to do while discussing this (to make sure I wasn't suffering sudden eye problems or something) solved the issue. Both EA and MA Oceania are now listed correctly everywhere in-game.

I think this is the last time I enter a mp game where players have identical flags. This sort of confusion really makes me stumble around like a moron. :shepface:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 3, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

If the mod sets flags, you can replace the flag files client side. If it doesn't, you can edit the mod so it does client-side.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

So my Pretender was Mind Hunting and the result was that his cord was cut by another Mage and now he is feeble-minded. Is this a normal risk of Mind Hunting? If so how exactly do the mechanics work for determining outcome?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The manual says it's the same as the risk while astral projecting. So a 40% of detection per astral level in the province, with a certain feeblemind if detected.

Don't mind hunt with your pretender.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Each enemy mage has an additive 40% per astral level of detecting and cutting the astral cord. So if there are two S1 mages, that's two 40% chances. If there is one S3 that's one 120% chance. The result is always feebleminding.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

MagnumOpus posted:

So my Pretender was Mind Hunting and the result was that his cord was cut by another Mage and now he is feeble-minded. Is this a normal risk of Mind Hunting? If so how exactly do the mechanics work for determining outcome?

This is only a risk in a province with hostile astral mages. Each S mage has a chance of intercepting mind hunts of 40% per S level, so 40% for S1, 80% for S2, and above 100% for S3s and above. Don't forget this is for each S mage.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Ouch there's my lesson to never settle for the in-game description of what a spell does.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MagnumOpus posted:

So my Pretender was Mind Hunting

No good could have come from this.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

jBrereton posted:

Stuff modders cannot do in Dominions 4, yet, among other things I've probably forgotten:

- Make particularly meaningful changes to forts (you can change the 'fort era' of nations, and how much forts, labs and temples cost by faction, but that's about it).

See I was thinking if regions connected to a fort were able to slowly redistribute population like they instantaneously centralize resources then that'd be a satisfying and reasonable workaround for 0 pop.

But oh well.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

To be more specific, dominions modding is very structured and easy to do, but everything about it is hard-coded. You can make near-infinite variations of what already exists in-game, but the moment you want to step outside that it's impossible.

So forts have a bunch of attributes like defense, supplies, admin. If we ever were to get fort modding, it would only allow us to modify those existing fort attributes.

IF there was a spell that affected population positively, it might be possible to construct pop growth spells from that. If there was a spell that killed a specific number of pop and that number was adjustable through some kind of parameter then maybe you could set it negative and have a modded spell that adds pop (also noting that illwinter often doesn't allow negatives in modding). But there are only popkill spells and their effects are hard-coded set percentages (so you pick the Blight effect number for 15% popkill, for example). I only mention this as an example of how you have to use the modding system to work around a problem.

And then even if you could get a pop growth spell to work (which I will add again, doesn't exist currently), there's no interactions between the spell system and other systems.

The most promising avenue to mod pop growth from zero is the events system, as there is in fact an event that shifts population from one province to another. But events modding does not exist yet, and probably never will.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The popkill spells also aren't moddable at all because they work by sending events rather than doing anything directly.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Even so, many spell effects don't allow a parameter. Non-summon rituals are particularly bad for this, but also non-damage battle spells.
e: For example, it would be wonderful if there was a list of events and you could use the #damage tag to pick the event the spell uses from said list. But you can't.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

TheDemon posted:

The most promising avenue to mod pop growth from zero is the events system, as there is in fact an event that shifts population from one province to another. But events modding does not exist yet, and probably never will.

Have we actually tried a summon with negative popkill yet?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eleven Mod guy, I'm not sure if it's a bug with Dom, your mod, or if it's even a bug in the first place, but this doesn't looks right to me.

While, over on a throne, there's just a bunch of militia, like the indies got mixed up or something.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 4, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lamias are just a rare forest poptype that hates you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don't turn 1 expand, even with a Virtue, kids. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Protip: Virtues are terrible.

• Locked thread