Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

it's not Floridian, but maybe Wake-n-Bake? think they might get Prairie stuff down there, too.

oh, and NOT Swamp Ape (and i dislike St Somewhere, too, but it's possible i'm in the minority)

I've never had a St. Somewhere beer that has impressed me, but it's interesting how brewers seem to really like them - St. Somewhere has done some collaborations with a lot of great breweries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

St Somewhere has awesome labels. I always want to buy their bottles because they look so nice.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

HatfulOfHollow posted:

St Somewhere has awesome labels. I always want to buy their bottles because they look so nice.

You should also buy their beer because it is delicious. Although if you buy any of their Zwanze Day offerings be careful and use eye protection because they all open like crazy.

Edit: If you hate Lecto Divina you are a bad person.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Valencia posted:

I know this was a million pages back, but who was it who replied that they had an infected Fullsteam IGOR? Fullsteam issued an apology for the problem and is offering refunds.

http://www.fullsteam.ag/blog/2014/02/igor-update/

That was me, but it was a bottle a friend got in a trade. No refund for me

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Should I buy Bo & Luke or what.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Should I buy Bo & Luke or what.

It's about the only smoked beer I can get behind.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

It's about the only smoked beer I can get behind.

oh no it's smoked :|

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShaneB posted:

As a smoked beer hater, I very much enjoyed it the couple times I've had it. It comes off more peaty than smokey to me and it's smooth as poo poo.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

It's one of those smoked beers that everybody loves, even if somebody doesn't normally like smoked beers.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Docjowles posted:

Quick question--my sister's visiting south Florida and offered to grab me a few bottles of beer. Gonna ask her to look for Jai Alai from Cigar City, any other Florida shelf beers I really should try that she can find without too much effort in a decent bottle shop? I'm in CO and we don't get much from that part of the country.

Jai Alai and Invasion Pale Ale are really good and really easy to find down here now. Pretty much any Publix you go to has them. Some liquor stores may still have Southern Slice, but I haven't looked recently. You'd probably be best off checking the random Crown than Total Wine now.

I wouldn't really recommend she go out of her way for anything else local bottled unless you're really interested in St. Somewhere(I'd concur the beer is OK and the bottles are pretty). If you don't get Terrapin, Moo Hoo and Wake N' Bake are on shelves in liquor stores.If she's near Oakland Park, she could get a counter-filled Funky Buddha 32oz growler. Tuesdays are the special releases which generally go that night if they're a good one, if not OP Porter is pretty good.

If you PM me when she's around I can tell you if there's anything out recently to look out for.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Chicagoons: Dryhop has a pistachio milk stout that's on tap at some places around the city... at the very least, Reggie's on the south side. It's loving delicious and well worth a try if you can find it.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I am not a fan of this CCB Black Ash collaboration. It's a really interesting beer and I'm sure there are some people for whom it is perfect but I am definitely not one of those persons.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Catfish Noodlin posted:

If you PM me when she's around I can tell you if there's anything out recently to look out for.

She's already made one run for me and I don't want to push it :) Thanks for the input, goons.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

It's that time again!

SA BIF 3 Saint Patricks Day Edition!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Hey goons in or near Philadelphia.

If you can make it into the city tomorrow there is a pretty rad event at Bainbridge Street Barrel House. The annual Sour Face event features a bunch of great funky and sour ales, including three offerings from Bullfrog as well as a keg of Local Option Bourbon Barrel Kentucky Common.

http://www.bainbridgestreetbarrelhouse.com/index.php/events

quote:

Bullfrog Le Roar Grrrz Kriek
Bruery Hottenroth
Bruery Tart Of Darkness
Bullfrog Cidre Sauvage
Brew Works Berliner
4 Hands Prussia Berlinerweiss
Tilquin Geuze
Local Option Barrel Aged Kentucky Common
Bruery Rueuze
Goose Island Lolita
4 Hands Cuvée Ange
Bullfrog Jong Bruin Coffee
Bullfrog Apricotdabra
Carton Digger Gose
Carton Monkey Chased The Weasel
Carton Something Like Sandy
Bruery Tart Of Darkness
Perennial Tart Hopfentea
Perennial La Boheme
Cisco Island Reserve Gose

Bullfrog makes killer sours that are rarely on tap outside the brewpub. I've had Jong Bruin and Le Roar Grrz and both are great. Excited to try Le Roar Grrz Kriek, Jong Bruin Coffee, and Apricotdabra.

Also, I have no idea how BSBH keeps getting kegs of Local Option BB Kentucky Common, or why they seem to be the only bar getting them in Philly, but you owe it to yourself to drink this beer. It's phenomenal.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

My Side Project glasses arrived a couple minutes ago and they are beautiful and are also very heavy, high-quality pieces of glassware. No regrets, even at $17.50 shipped a pop.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

My Side Project glasses arrived a couple minutes ago and they are beautiful and are also very heavy, high-quality pieces of glassware. No regrets, even at $17.50 shipped a pop.

Now if only you could get some of their beer!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Now if only you could get some of their beer!

No kidding. Nice thing about these is that they will likely replace my existing Ikea wine glasses, albeit I'd probably keep the old ones around for guests.

I have entirely too much glassware now, and with the Talkbeer 22oz snifter and more Cantillon glasses arriving soon, methinks I need to contemplate a new storage solution...

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
I'm heading down to the Baltimore area in 3 weeks and will be staying in Fell's Point. I've been to both Max's and Wharf Rat before, and outside of the immediate area, I'm not too familiar with what Baltimore has to offer. What are some other must hit brewpubs/breweries?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

WaffleStomp posted:

I'm heading down to the Baltimore area in 3 weeks and will be staying in Fell's Point. I've been to both Max's and Wharf Rat before, and outside of the immediate area, I'm not too familiar with what Baltimore has to offer. What are some other must hit brewpubs/breweries?

I always recommend Brewer's Art and Alewife. I've also heard good things about Of Love & Regret, which is the Stillwater pub. And if you're willing to trek outside of the city DuClaw is pretty good.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Brewer's Art is pretty good. Really neat old building, and the beer is pretty good. Food was decent too.

Of love and regret is next on my Baltimore hit list.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone had Bois Fume, Smooth Criminal, Melange 1/3, or Tumescene from The Bruery? Worth grabbing any of them?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Has anyone had Bois Fume, Smooth Criminal, Melange 1/3, or Tumescene from The Bruery? Worth grabbing any of them?

3 is one of the best beers that The Bruery makes. Jump on it. I'm probably not getting any of the allocations this month.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

crazyfish posted:

3 is one of the best beers that The Bruery makes. Jump on it. I'm probably not getting any of the allocations this month.

Cool. My buddy is asking because it looks like he isn't really using his allocations either. I figured I haven't tried those so might as well see if any are worth it.

E: vvv Hell yeah post back. Always like to hear about beers I haven't had yet.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 4, 2014

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Cool. My buddy is asking because it looks like he isn't really using his allocations either. I figured I haven't tried those so might as well see if any are worth it.

Fume, Smooth Criminal, and Tume will be available to try most likely this weekend. Prior to that, only a select number of bottles went out, and I haven't heard too many good things from those people. I can provide you a run-down once I try them if you'd like.

M1 and M3 are both excellent beers.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Also, I have no idea how BSBH keeps getting kegs of Local Option BB Kentucky Common, or why they seem to be the only bar getting them in Philly, but you owe it to yourself to drink this beer. It's phenomenal.

It's because the owners of BSBH are related to the owners of Bella Vista, somehow.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I heard tell that this Dogfish Head World Wide Stout was undrinkable until being aged for 717 years, but the fresh one I am consuming (blasting) isn't half bad. Not worth $9 of course, but it was something neat to try. Boozy as hell, but I drink whiskey and whatnot straight so that's kind of appealing to me. I was expecting a heavier mouthfeel though for the 20% or whatever ridiculous ABV it is. It tastes like a stronger, hotter Lion Stout to me. Pretty good!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

How is the Bruery Tasting room? I'll be in Anaheim for a conference in early March and it looks like i'm about a ten minute cab ride away, so definitely interested in checking it out for a few drinks the night before I fly home (a Wednesday).

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Cervixalot posted:

How is the Bruery Tasting room? I'll be in Anaheim for a conference in early March and it looks like i'm about a ten minute cab ride away, so definitely interested in checking it out for a few drinks the night before I fly home (a Wednesday).

Decently sized with a tv (or two?). Long tap list and a large amount of bottles/merch available. Definitely worth a visit if only to drown yourself in Humulus Lager. poo poo's amazing.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Chicagoans, if you feel like braving the snow, Smallbar Logan Square has Hopslam and Darkness on tap, the latter being 6 bucks a snifter. Anyone else have this year's and get some really odd green apple?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cbear posted:

Brewer's Art is pretty good. Really neat old building, and the beer is pretty good. Food was decent too.

Of love and regret is next on my Baltimore hit list.

When I go to Brewer's Art, I go downstairs to the bar, stake out a seat, and order small plates + beer. It's become something I try to fit into any Baltimore trip.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

ChickenArise posted:

When I go to Brewer's Art, I go downstairs to the bar, stake out a seat, and order small plates + beer. It's become something I try to fit into any Baltimore trip.

Same here. It's just got such a cool atmosphere.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Cervixalot posted:

Shouldn't be too crowded on a Wednesday. Two TVs, good amount of room, a lot on tap, pretty nice setup. I'm a bit partial to their old tasting room, but the current tasting room is nice.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Speaking of BIFs, I broke into the Cleveland Crusher that Kudosx sent me and I really, really like this one. Similar to BORIS but definitely smoother and sweeter, with stronger coffee, molasses, and toffee notes and a wonderful roasty profile. Goes down super easy, even if it's about as thick as cough syrup. Really good stuff.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Zam posted:

Shouldn't be too crowded on a Wednesday. Two TVs, good amount of room, a lot on tap, pretty nice setup. I'm a bit partial to their old tasting room, but the current tasting room is nice.

Yeah, definitely go on an off day even though their hours are really restricted. The Tasting Room is a clusterfuck on peak nights: too many people, too loud, and the bar setup isn't good for the amount of business they see. On a Friday/Saturday I'd rather go to Noble or down to Orange for Provisions or Haven. Or just head to Santa Ana and hit up Playground, their beer list is phenomenal and the food is too.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I dug deep into my balls-sack and conjured up the courage to finally consume a Mango Magnifico. The smell was horrible but the taste was not too bad. Not particularly good either, but I really liked how hot it was, and it tasted more than anything like a mango-habanero salsa. I can certainly understand why most hated it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ChickenArise posted:

I wasn't in love with their beer, but the atmosphere in the basement is absolutely wonderful. Similar vibe as Monk's in the backroom in a way. Upstairs I saw a lot of people dressed very nicely. Definitely a cool place to go.

By the way, their stuff just made it to NJ/PA.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

crazyfish posted:

Chicagoans, if you feel like braving the snow, Smallbar Logan Square has Hopslam and Darkness on tap, the latter being 6 bucks a snifter. Anyone else have this year's and get some really odd green apple?

If you're referring to Darkness...then no. Though, there is some disagreement over whether they've done two brewings of Darkness so who the gently caress knows (one for Darkness Day and one for the latest Chicago release).

Then again lately I've had a huge amount of variation between things on tap versus bottled. Pt5 2012 on tap? Meh, Pt5 2012 bottle? Amazing! Abacus 2011 on tap? Meh, Abacus 2011 bottle? Amazing! So who the hell knows.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

If you're referring to Darkness...then no. Though, there is some disagreement over whether they've done two brewings of Darkness so who the gently caress knows (one for Darkness Day and one for the latest Chicago release).

Then again lately I've had a huge amount of variation between things on tap versus bottled. Pt5 2012 on tap? Meh, Pt5 2012 bottle? Amazing! Abacus 2011 on tap? Meh, Abacus 2011 bottle? Amazing! So who the hell knows.

Yeah I was referring to Darkness. I only really got the green apple flavour during the first couple sips and then after that, the hops and chocolate took over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So I just heard about SanTan expanding distro to California, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and Texas. This is the only thing I know about them: