Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Liquid Penguins posted:

If your game can't get on steam it is a bad game. Sorry to break it to you indie developers.

It's actually usually because you're not blowing the right desk jockey that happens to look at your game before it gets auto sorted into trash because Steam has some legit issues with its approval process.

They tried to fix it with Greenlight but pure mass community voting is a terrible system because look at that trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I believe they've mentioned in the past they want to let people start their own Steam stores, ala third-party app stores for Android, using Steam for payment processing and such.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Kins posted:

I believe they've mentioned in the past they want to let people start their own Steam stores, ala third-party app stores for Android, using Steam for payment processing and such.

The Humble Store's gotten to that already, which I find pretty neat. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if those guys put together an optional desktop client like GoG given how they've slowly made their way to being a full-on marketplace.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Free market dude.

The iOS and Android stores have less quality control than Steam, and look at what a shithole both of them are.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's actually usually because you're not blowing the right desk jockey that happens to look at your game before it gets auto sorted into trash because Steam has some legit issues with its approval process.

They tried to fix it with Greenlight but pure mass community voting is a terrible system because look at that trash.

If trash is what people want then it's a rousing success then, no? Maybe lots of people legitimately like zombie and slender games and steam should try and accommodate as many of them as they can. Who cares if some game is innovative cause no one was gonna buy it anyway. Should steam be trying to influence peoples tastes?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The quality control for Steam should be the gaming enthusiast press that highlights the good stuff, Patrick is right.

I'm not saying there can't be improvements to how Steam works, but making things tighter probably won't improve anything.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

flatluigi posted:

Because they're doing an absolutely amazing job of it so far, right?
Compared to the alternatives? Pretty much so far, yeah.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'd rather a few really good games get denied then allow every one who thinks they can make video games be able to put something up on Steam.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Yea Steam is already rapidly losing its power as a game discovery tool. Flooding the new releases with a million "press F to make a fart noise $0.99" and "I made some animes and put them in a basic game-maker JRPG $59.99" would be terrible. Greenlight isn't great but it's a whole hell of a lot better than just throwing the gates wide open.

It doesn't help that most of the time I read some "Steam won't let me sell my game!" the game in question is one of those terrible game-maker zero-effort looking things. And if it isn't the press from those stories usually end up influencing Greenlight and getting the game on Steam anyway.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

KoB posted:

Legit good games got thrown out because Steam didnt have enough people to effectively curate the submissions. Then they let poo poo like The War Z through with open arms.

Can I get a list of good games that were denied by Steam?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

flatluigi posted:

Because they're doing an absolutely amazing job of it so far, right?

Compared to those markets, yeah actually? Like even with all the early access and greenlight garbage coming in it's a million times better than any Android app/game storefront. And oddly enough, the biggest issues w/r/t bad/low-quality games coming to steam in huge numbers have come in when steam made it easier to get games on their market. I'm not saying Steam didn't have problems with approving games before but the way they're trying to fix that issue just isn't doing an amazing job and making it even more open really won't help loving anyone besides people making lovely $1 games that aren't worth playing in the first place.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 3, 2014

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I know I'm pretty late with this but the new Syndicate is a lot of fun, nice going Jeff.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Yes I want Steam to be more open, so I can get flooded with a million Minecraft clones, and Zombie games.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Tweet from Chris Franklin, the Errant Signal guy:

quote:

I really wish the idea that curation/gatekeeping is the only solution to this problem would die off.

So is anyone actually proposing one or is this just a non-suggestion?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If there's another solution I'd love to hear it because it's loving obvious that letting a store be a free-for-all flooded with scams and clones is only good for people who make nothing but scams and clones.

e: i mean hell, y'all make fun of Desura but even that is curated to an extent. i'd gladly take that level over what Apple and Google do, aka nothing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can I get a list of good games that were denied by Steam?

Cook, Serve, Delicious and La Mulana are two games that immediately come to mind that were repeatedly denied by Steam and given no real explanation why despite being a) Fairly high profile and b) drat fine games.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Popy posted:

Yes I want Steam to be more open, so I can get flooded with a million Minecraft clones, and Zombie games.

Speaking of... http://store.steampowered.com/app/253430/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yet another Greenlight game with no notice on the store page itself. Goddamn that looks gross.

But I know the Auditorium devs had Intake denied for the reason of "go use Greenlight" even though they had three games already on Steam. And then months later Steam decided they didn't need to use Greenlight because reasons.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Liquid Penguins posted:

Patrick is spending too much time networking with indie devs and is now sympathetic to their zombie craft cause.

You're saying that as if zombie and minecraft ripoff games aren't getting on steam easily anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

flatluigi posted:

You're saying that as if zombie and minecraft ripoff games aren't getting on steam easily anyway.

Yes, and imagine what horrors await beyond Greenlight's gatekeeping.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Valves recent experiments with Greenlight and noises about user created storefronts both have the same goal: user generated curation.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

It's funny how you can tell exactly what kind of a game that is by the name alone.

Seeing that on the Steam front page actually made me angry about all the loving indie zombie games, because I've been reading a lot about zombies and the whole zombie revival zeitgeist going on lately. This is because I'm moderating a panel discussion about "Zombies in popular culture" in a local literature festival ran by my university's literature students in about two weeks. I think it's weird to have such a nerd bait topic there but the theme for the whole festival is "Body" so it kinda fits, and it also wasn't my idea, I was just asked if I wanted to do it. At least it being a lit festival I can just safely ignore all the video game zombies except for Walking Dead and Resident Evil I guess since they both come in so many different forms.

What I'm trying to say here is gently caress zombies I want to go back to shooting Nazis in my video games.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Veib posted:

It's funny how you can tell exactly what kind of a game that is by the name alone.

Seeing that on the Steam front page actually made me angry about all the loving indie zombie games, because I've been reading a lot about zombies and the whole zombie revival zeitgeist going on lately. This is because I'm moderating a panel discussion about "Zombies in popular culture" in a local literature festival ran by my university's literature students in about two weeks. I think it's weird to have such a nerd bait topic there but the theme for the whole festival is "Body" so it kinda fits, and it also wasn't my idea, I was just asked if I wanted to do it. At least it being a lit festival I can just safely ignore all the video game zombies except for Walking Dead and Resident Evil I guess since they both come in so many different forms.

What I'm trying to say here is gently caress zombies I want to go back to shooting Nazis in my video games.

Sorry to start a derail, but WHY is there such a zombie zeitgeist nowadays?

EDIT: Mods please change my name to "Zombie Zeitgeist" thanks

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Same reason Nazis were so popular (please don't bring back Nazis as the go to enemy in all video games), it's easy and there's no moral conflict in killing them. They also make for an easy way to set people against each other for the more interesting zombie games like The Walking Dead and The Last of Us. They're just easy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They also give a ton of flexibility to the developer. You can make them slow, fast, smart, stupid, fragile, or invincible with no justification other than "because zombies".

If you're feeling especially creative, you can just call them something else besides zombies (like 'infected') and then you don't even need to pay attention to what few constraints the zombie genre carries with it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Zombie AI is also ridiculously simple and predictable (both to program and for the player to succeed over), and you don't have to come up with a complicated reason why there are so many and why they're so stupid and why they're all attacking the player.

The "used as context" thing is way more interesting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's not like the zombie craze is confined to video games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It isn't as widespread, though. It's only The Walking Dead that's big.

edit: Zombies being all over the place is what people don't like, although unless you're on a PC and looking at indie games all day there's not really a problem. It's still not as common as the modern military genre for mainstream/console games.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 3, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Giant Bomb Live Archive youtube channel no longer exist. Anyone know if that person made a new account or someone mirror those videos?

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Zombie AI is also ridiculously simple and predictable (both to program and for the player to succeed over), and you don't have to come up with a complicated reason why there are so many and why they're so stupid and why they're all attacking the player.

The "used as context" thing is way more interesting.

Which is also why every single zombie movie/game/comic/novel has the same message: Man is the REAL monster!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Al! posted:

Cook, Serve, Delicious and La Mulana are two games that immediately come to mind that were repeatedly denied by Steam and given no real explanation why despite being a) Fairly high profile and b) drat fine games.

They are on steam now though.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Hooray! Jim Sterling is going to be on Bombin' in the AM next week. I love Jim Sterling.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They are on steam now though.

This has always been my problem with people complaining about steam curation. Yes it isn't perfect and sometimes good games get passed over for CASTLEMINER Z but they fix those problems eventually. Valve has said straight up they aren't happy with the current set up and greenlight. I imagine it will get where it needs to be eventually but having no rules is a terrrrrrrrrriiiiible idea. Like people said you only need to look at the Ouya or ios store to see why that's a bad idea.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Zombies are dumb. When a zombie pathfinds the wrong way around an obstacle and then misses you, it's funny and makes sense in context. When a ninja or a space marine does it, it's immersion breaking.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Anything that keeps Steam from looking like Xbox Live Indie Games is fine by me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
What are you talking about Try Not To Fart and Don't Be Nervous Talking to Girls are classics, one of them unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There's a bunch of stuff being said about zombies all over in the recent years, and some of the most common ideas people are throwing around is that it's a an easy Other to which you can project your fears about things bigger than you like the global economic recession, diseases like bird and swine flu (AIDS in the '80s), overpopulation (especially in places that aren't near you), lack of personal connections in the technological world, illegal aliens coming to eat you and steal your jobs in the process, and so on. It's a fictional apocalyptic representation for fears that might not be purely apocalyptic but are very real. It's easy to use in multiple ways because they're so empty on its own. Dracula has a personality, a zombie doesn't.

Then there's the criticism of consumer capitalism coming from things like Dawn of the Dead (it literally takes place in a mall, just like Dead Rising) and continuing in for example World War Z (the book), with buyers as mindless consumers hoarding whatever they can get their hands on. Workers are also mindless drones with no individuality, but the ones without work are in an even worse position, so there's societal cultural anxiety of just surviving in modern capitalism. I just read a short story that made a not-so-subtle connection between zombies and homeless people (as well as zombies and low-info voters).

But the zombie apocalypse happening also shatters this society, so some people see it as an escapist liberation fantasy from that very anxiety that gives them the chance to start over again and be a powerful leader in a time of crisis. And related to that zombies are also a very easy Other for personal violent fantasies, which then leads us to all the racism with survival nut zombie targets that represent black people to them (like that loving Obama zombie target).

Of course not everyone doing zombie stuff is saying all of these things and to some it's just a currently popular thing to make money with, but the craze did not start from nowhere. Like right now it's going on with the momentum of it going on and people hopping along, but there's a cultural push somewhere that made it happen, whatever you think it is or isn't.

It's also obviously nothing new per se, but there's a reason somewhere zombies are so loving huge right now. There were fuckloads of zombie movies in the '70s and '80s, but there were no zombie walks or zombie versions of Jane Austen novels (it loving sucks, btw). It wasn't as pervasive throughout the entire spectrum of (popular) culture before.

All in all it's a lot more nuanced and interesting phenomenon than video game zombies usually make it look like.

(also I legit did not know "zombie zeitgeist" is a phrase people actually use, I thought I just made it up for that post, gonna start using it now, also gonna stop posting about zombies after this sorry about the derail)

e: Also my favorite thing about zombies is the utterly amazing "so bad it's good" camp value of '70s-'80s zombie movies, most newer stuff is just boring.

Veib fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread