Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
It's always a fier... :stonk:

MR2

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/615272239.htm

:france: Guy says its got a 280hp 2L turbo, sport exhaust, brake kit.
All that is yours for a measly 15k €... Somehow I can't really hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Llyd posted:

Somehow I can't really hate it.

I can. Replicars are incredibly tacky.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I just like how much kit car knock off dudes need to embroider every interior surface with prancing horses, as if to say "No really, it IS a Ferrari! It really is!" as if the more logos you plant on the car, the more real it is.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

I can. Replicars are incredibly tacky.

More tacky then a real Ferrari? I would rather have this one the maintenance and insurance I save will pay it off in 2 years.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elephanthead posted:

More tacky then a real Ferrari? I would rather have this one the maintenance and insurance I save will pay it off in 2 years.

Why not just buy an MR2, which performs identically, (or more probably, better, and probably doesn't rattle like a soup can full of rocks,) and doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME IM AN ENORMOUS POSER!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Kit cars seem perfectly valid to me as long as the person makes no effort to pretend it's not a kit. I will never own a cobra, but I could theoretically own a kit car that looks identical and meets my performance needs (read: picking up groceries). Where is the harm?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Putting labels and badges on cars is just a silly practice, and even sillier when you are misrepresenting what you really have.

I have a neighbor with an "M3" 328i BMW. The M3 badge doesn't fool anyone who knows what they are, and someone who doesn't know what they are doesn't give a poo poo in the first place. So what's the point?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I have a neighbor with an "M3" 328i BMW. The M3 badge doesn't fool anyone who knows what they are, and someone who doesn't know what they are doesn't give a poo poo in the first place. So what's the point?

This is what I never got either.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

Why not just buy an MR2, which performs identically, (or more probably, better, and probably doesn't rattle like a soup can full of rocks,) and doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME I WISH I COULD AFFORD A FERRARI BUT I CAN'T SO I'LL TRY AND FOOL SOME PEOPLE INTO THINKING I CAN!"

I adjusted that a little.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

88h88 posted:

I adjusted that a little.

Similarly, I don't understand people who buy 10+ year old BMW/Mercedes and don't do anything to fix them. The car's 10+ years old. It needs a suspension refresh at the minimum, and probably bushings/etc. If you're not willing to put in the work to do that why not just buy a low mileage Kia? Because then they wouldn't be able to say they drive a BMW.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Wojcigitty posted:

Well since he appears to have typed carmro with his face then it's likely that he meant to ask $3000. If not that would be an awesome beater or, assuming it's a V6, candidate for a LT1 swap.

actually says 1300 later in the ad haha

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
MUST RESIST PATINA.....

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This actually looks pretty drat good, opinions? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4309164442.html

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

This actually looks pretty drat good, opinions? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4309164442.html

You could probably get a b-series for cheaper and without the unknown electrical problems that come with that thing.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Residency Evil posted:

Similarly, I don't understand people who buy 10+ year old BMW/Mercedes and don't do anything to fix them. The car's 10+ years old. It needs a suspension refresh at the minimum, and probably bushings/etc. If you're not willing to put in the work to do that why not just buy a low mileage Kia? Because then they wouldn't be able to say they drive a BMW.

Because a 10 year old BMW is still more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing than a new Kia? Yea they really should be getting those things done, but if they don't mind the ride being shittier than is necessary, that's up to them.

Oh hey content:

subx fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 4, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Ha, that guy has been trying to sell that T-type for over 6 months. The price seems to randomly bounce between 12k and 14k.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

1990 Ford Festiva Race Car

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Q_res posted:

Ha, that guy has been trying to sell that T-type for over 6 months. The price seems to randomly bounce between 12k and 14k.

Seems like the sort of car you should really have on eBay or something, not local listings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

subx posted:

Oh hey content:

Someday...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

You forgot this part:

quote:

The engine of this race car has been swapped for a larger, more powerful unit that was recently rebuilt last year and has fewer than 5000KM on it. It is a 1.6L DOHC Turbo unit from a Mazda 323GT that comes with a full turbo-back sport exhaust, an enlarged intercooler with firm piping, a larger turbo swapped in from a Ford Probe, a racing chip ECU, and many other extras. The entire engine was torn down and professionally rebuilt with all new gaskets, seals, bearings, and more.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
You both forgot the best part:

quote:

Vehicle does require some repair at this time.

What needs to be fixed? Who knows! This car was built for SPIRITED DRIVING RACING CAR!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is oxbrain still around on the forums?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Because new seat covers, intermittent wipers, power mirrors and an upgraded stereo are definitely things I look for in my cageless, full interior broken RACE CAR.

Also, if that interior has been shampooed and steam cleaned I dread to think what it looked like before hand.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've seen that Festiva. The interior shot is from right when he put those seats in, which is why they're dirty (no excuse I know, but hey it's his ad). It's smoking and he's been trying to figure out why for months, hence "needs repair". It's a decent car, in fact I thought about buying it and swapping my BP in but not for $3k.
He was also really mad when I sold my factory seats (which were the same red stripey ones, kind of rare) to a guy in Ontario since it took him 2 years to find the ones he's got.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm in no position to buy a tow vehicle right now, but in the fall when I get my bonus...

I know I'll need to look out for hop-ons, but this seems to be kinda perfect. Don't have to worry about storing a trailer or anything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of those with a little sleep cab would be awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's the same kind of truck as the Roadkill ramp truck, right? The plywood bed on theirs kind of sketches me out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

I'm in no position to buy a tow vehicle right now, but in the fall when I get my bonus...

I know I'll need to look out for hop-ons, but this seems to be kinda perfect. Don't have to worry about storing a trailer or anything.

Seems like the downside would be losing the ability to use it as a pickup truck (i.e. the only things that truck will move, are cars) but otherwise it's not bad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seems like the downside would be losing the ability to use it as a pickup truck (i.e. the only things that truck will move, are cars) but otherwise it's not bad.

It looks to me like you could still haul furniture and stuff given some tie-downs.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

It looks to me like you could still haul furniture and stuff given some tie-downs.

Brake Checking would be exciting, a rear mounted dashcam would be required. Roll the dice on if you break yourself, or get a car (hostage).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Weld some brackets on the side for stakes, make some sort of tailgate between the stake sides. Problem solved.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 5, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ramp trucks will never, ever, cease to be cool.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lack of storage for tools and stuff would be a problem it looks like. With a larger cab it would be pretty cool.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ramp trucks are cool and all, but if you track a lot the ultimate race car hauler is an RV and a trailer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
At the VIR 24 Hour Chump Classic, there was an F or E-750 and it looked loving amazing. We're getting the Transit proper this year with either the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost or an I5 Powerstroke. I know that places like Westfalia will be doing conversions on them which will be way too much money, but also way cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

Lack of storage for tools and stuff would be a problem it looks like. With a larger cab it would be pretty cool.

IIRC most of these have pretty good-sized bins around the perimeter of the flatbed. I dunno if you'd be able to store a full set of tires but my entire travel toolbox would definitely fit in there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

At the VIR 24 Hour Chump Classic, there was an F or E-750 and it looked loving amazing. We're getting the Transit proper this year with either the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost or an I5 Powerstroke. I know that places like Westfalia will be doing conversions on them which will be way too much money, but also way cool.

I'd love a Sprinter RV, but prices even used are god drat ridiculous, I could pay off my house for the price of a decent diesel RV.

The affordable way to go is to just get an old van based RV with a big block if you're towing, and just be prepared to be working on it probably more than the race car. And of course have a separate savings account just to be able to put gas in the drat thing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4320755255.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well. The '86 with the 16-valve is marginally better, but that's still a nice find. I think could well be worth $1200, although that depends on the condition of the rust. And the engine, since that's a pretty good terminal amount of miles on it.

If the engine is toast, maybe pick it up for $1k and then swap in an '86 16-valve.

e. I should mention that I'm a Sirocco fanboy, even though I've never owned one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Call Mr. Plow,
That's my name.
That name again is Mr. Plow.

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/4320572362.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!