Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

So, I've decided to play this for a little bit, I'm trying to make a good Blade/Elementalist build, but, I kinda forgot how I should allocate the skill points for equipment.

Was it something like 2 Head Talisman, 1 Major Talisman, 1 Minor Talisman, 1 Primary Weapon, 1 Secondary Weapon, repeat, or something else?

I would say push your primary weapon to level 5 then keep the rest of your skills at the level of the gear that you have available from drops and mission rewards.

Primary Weapon > Major Tali > Head Tali > Minor Tali > Secondary Weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/game_director_letter_january_2014

I suppose I should get off my arse and actually loving finish Transylvania before Tokyo arrives. Though I'm sure I've got a while yet.

Edit: I apparently picked the greatest loving moment to stop playing for months, my story mission just says "Find the One". Anyone got a non-spoilerish hint for me? It's Mortal Sins tier 24.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 3, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pilchenstein posted:

I suppose I should get off my arse and actually loving finish Transylvania before Tokyo arrives. Though I'm sure I've got a while yet.

Edit: I apparently picked the greatest loving moment to stop playing for months, my story mission just says "Find the One". Anyone got a non-spoilerish hint for me? It's Mortal Sins tier 24.

This thread has non-spoilerish hints progressing til the answer.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

macnbc posted:

This thread has non-spoilerish hints progressing til the answer.
Cheers, I figured it was one of those "you'll find him when you find him" jobs and was about to start visiting every mission giver marked on the map.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oh look! Their engine couldn't handle a 60 person raid?! Who would have guessed?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Len posted:

Oh look! Their engine couldn't handle a 60 person raid?! Who would have guessed?

I'm surprised it even loads the game chugs at the three dozen people loitering in Agartha.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

alfheimwanderer posted:

Interesting. I take it the current crop of Tendrils of Dis haven't been killed off yet?

The Tendrils of Dis actually froze witht hat update, with the current tentacle at 592 HP.

I'm not surprised a 60-man raid's too much; peoplekept saying that'll pare down the lag, but I'm pretty sure less than 60 people turned up to most of the megabosses I've fought, and it still strains. The lower a player limit the better, really; not justfor lagpurposes, but the higher a player count you ask for the harder it's going to be to put together.

...Really hopethey have a better way to give slivers, though...

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Go home Funcom, You're drunk.

Serious Edit: So hold the phone, Joel has been gone for a couple months and real content has come into the game? He was gone during the Christmas thing wasn't he?

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 4, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Well I finished the story, it was a little underwhelming, I have to say. I'm curious to know what happens if you don't piss off that disembodied voice at every opportunity, but I'm hosed if I'm playing it through again just to find out what was in the prison.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Pilchenstein posted:

Well I finished the story, it was a little underwhelming, I have to say. I'm curious to know what happens if you don't piss off that disembodied voice at every opportunity, but I'm hosed if I'm playing it through again just to find out what was in the prison.

A bit of googling or youtube should find you the other ending video(s).

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Pilchenstein posted:

With a three hour cooldown, I might put some time into the Flappy boss if it really drops Criterion Upgrades and Astral Fuses.

That new love hotel sounds like it'll probably cause a bunch of pubbie hilarity, though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

A bit of googling or youtube should find you the other ending video(s).
God only knows why I didn't think of that. I've started a second character anyway because you lot never shut up about the Illuminati and I have to ask, when did they change the opening cinematic?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well, I bought this during a sale, and I have to say I like the way the game works, but I'm getting real bored of Kingsmouth already, and half the stuff there can kill me real quickly.

I take it picking assault rifles first was a bad idea?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

God only knows why I didn't think of that. I've started a second character anyway because you lot never shut up about the Illuminati and I have to ask, when did they change the opening cinematic?

The beta to launch was the only time I knew they changed anything.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Well, I bought this during a sale, and I have to say I like the way the game works, but I'm getting real bored of Kingsmouth already, and half the stuff there can kill me real quickly.

I take it picking assault rifles first was a bad idea?

Gonna get mixed responses about rifles being good or bad as a starting weapon. Rifles have a built in heal mechanic that makes soloing cheesy as poo poo, but if you do not set it up to exploit that self healing while damaging then the weapon is lack luster. I still stand by chaos/blades being a good starting combination. You can get decent AoE builders and consumers, along with a couple nice single target consumers and enough clickie abilities to not die in a fire if you over pull.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ummmm...

This might be a really stupid question, but how do you buy the DLC? (issue 5, 6, 7)

Or is it just automatic?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

WMain00 posted:

Ummmm...

This might be a really stupid question, but how do you buy the DLC? (issue 5, 6, 7)

Or is it just automatic?

You need to use the ingame store, for some reason it's under "boosts".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The first of those fan-clothing sets got in the game, with both genders getting the mental patient outfit!

I guess that means that soon, both genders will get the Boring Practical Armor Set too.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

The beta to launch was the only time I knew they changed anything.
I must've skipped it at launch then cause I don't remember the bit inbetween swallowing the bee and waking up coughing.

Since I'm starting a new guy, what's the one weird build discovered by a local grandmother that all mobs hate? You can tell me, I'll keep it a secret.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

I must've skipped it at launch then cause I don't remember the bit inbetween swallowing the bee and waking up coughing.

Since I'm starting a new guy, what's the one weird build discovered by a local grandmother that all mobs hate? You can tell me, I'll keep it a secret.

When I rolled an alt, I liked using Chop Shop (Blade Focus AoE Consumer) + Finish The Movement (Passive that causes all focus abilities to give one resource point when the focus finishes) = Tons of Fun and a worn out '1' key. But anything that can do AoE in Kingsmouth will see you through to the end, after Kingsmouth you shouldn't be going after mob packs nearly as often.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I stopped playing shortly after scenarios came in (in part because they kept crashing my game) so what's this 60 man raid thing?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
^^^^^
You know the giant filth bird that flies around Agartha?
60 People jump it in its nest and break its kneecaps.

Or at least that's the plan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It should be noted it's been lowered to a 40-man raid, which doesn't really solve the real problem so much as ease it.

The official forums are also reporting that it's a really good fight with multiple phases and complexity on par with dungeon endbosses. These are the people that won't miss an opportunity to fellate Funcom for everything they do, good and bad, though, so take that with a few grains of salt

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So I picked up a disc copy for $5 because I thought, hey, a month and some veteran points, it's cheaper this way.

Have to create a new account with it.

:negative:

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

^^^^^
It doesn't let you add the key in your account management page?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

^^^^^
It doesn't let you add the key in your account management page?

Not that I can see. It only gives me the option of creating a new account when I try to register the key.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Hey guys I just got this email from funcom about new and compelling content....

quote:

Join the fight today and defeat the massive Obsidian Basilisk for epic loot!

The Twelve Portents event chain continues this month in Khitai. The event starts today and lasts until Tuesday the 11th of February. Remember that by taking part in all twelve world boss events you will earn a Legendary reward!

If you do not have a level 80 character, but are brave and resourceful, you can still join in the fight to take down the Basilisk in Khitai and get a chance to win powerful raid gear or even a unique and rare pet version of the great monster itself!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

GEMorris posted:

Have i been gone for so long that TSW uses linear levels and classes now, or did Funcom QA mix TSW and Conan?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HughGRect posted:

Have i been gone for so long that TSW uses linear levels and classes now, or did Funcom QA mix TSW and Conan?

My point was that their Dev team is so understaffed and devoid of ideas that they are basically applying their "huge worldboss" design paradigm to every game they make.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

GEMorris posted:

My point was that their Dev team is so understaffed and devoid of ideas that they are basically applying their "huge worldboss" design paradigm to every game they make.

I hope its a golem, Conan needs more golems.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

The pubbies (and Cheston) like that though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

(and Cheston)

I object to this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

The pubbies (and Cheston) like that though.

When I called them out on this, they instead decided that it would be more feasible to target my use of the word 'objectively' in the sentence 'megabosses in this game are objectively bad'.

I stand by the use, but I still wish I hadn't used it, because it gave them an excuse to dodge the truth.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 7, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So the filth corridor's finally been wiped out. THe Apparatus gating the raid's now up, requiring one pure water and any pure rune.

In addition, you can now buy Criterion Upgrades and Astral Fuses with exorbitant amounts of the currencies. We're talking like, 500 fragments.

I got the full bee suit and the automaton, though, though, so I'm happy.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
I shouldn't be surprised that there's one more timesink before we fight Flappy.

Of course now that I've said that, there'll be a third filth hallway to clear too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Yue posted:

I shouldn't be surprised that there's one more timesink before we fight Flappy.

Of course now that I've said that, there'll be a third filth hallway to clear too.

Honestly, I was campaigning for an Apparatus before Flappy. The length of the corridor phase was such that we had a huge surplus of fragments, enough that we needed a third Apparatus phase to compensate. Flappy will give both slivers and fragments, which is all well and good, but if they had that without any way to get slivers independently that would orphan a massive amount of fragments.

Also, it gave me the chance to get everything I wanted out of the vendor, so I don't need to go anywhere near Flapy more than once (to get the achievement for doing the whole event).

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

^^^^^
There's an achievement for killing Flappy 15 times. Also for 50 times.

There's apparently a pet reward for one of those, if that's your thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

So the filth corridor's finally been wiped out. THe Apparatus gating the raid's now up, requiring one pure water and any pure rune.

In addition, you can now buy Criterion Upgrades and Astral Fuses with exorbitant amounts of the currencies. We're talking like, 500 fragments.

I got the full bee suit and the automaton, though, though, so I'm happy.

Now when you say wiped out do you mean enough pubbies finally cared to make it go away or did Funcom just give up and remove it?

Edit: Ha! Who here wants the MOST secure job ever?

Funcom_TSW posted:

The Secret World @funcom_tsw · Feb 3

Are you a programmer? Are you passionate about #TSW or Age of Conan? We currently have positions open! Check here: http://bit.ly/1gHsuK6

Len fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 8, 2014

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Do you do absolutely zero research about potential employers? Do we have an opportunity for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

Do you do absolutely zero research about potential employers? Do we have an opportunity for you!

Noone passionate about TSW would even risk that one.

• Locked thread