Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I added myself to the list and am going down the list adding everyone. I hope you're ready for the most useless ability I can find when you summon me :smugdog:

Use item: eyedrops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I added myself to the list and am going down the list adding everyone. I hope you're ready for the most useless ability I can find when you summon me :smugdog:

As long as you don't leave it as the tutorial one from the start of the game, you're ahead of the pack. Seems like 19 in 20 Summons I get is loving Freelancer Tiz with a 33-34 power basic attack.

It's Caterpies on the loving WonderTrade all over again.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth Hanbidge posted:

As long as you don't leave it as the tutorial one from the start of the game, you're ahead of the pack. Seems like 19 in 20 Summons I get is loving Freelancer Tiz with a 33-34 power basic attack.
I've Streetpassed the same girl every weekday for the past three weeks. She seems to be getting through the game at a slightly faster pace than me - last time I checked she was level 77. Her summons would probably be hella useful against the bosses I'm coming up against... But nope, she's hasn't sent a single attack since the tutorial. :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Darth Hanbidge posted:

How do you even change your streetpass dude anyways? I can't figure out how in the demo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Choose Send in the battle menu then do the attack you want to send.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.
I left my DS at my friends' house yesterday. Won't get it back until they come over for D&D tomorrow. All I can think about are those loving no-mark villagers lazing the gently caress around and not building me weapon and special move shops.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

cap601 posted:

Attempting to minimise details:

To get the best ending you want to do what the game tells you to do. To get the other ending you need to try something different. You'll probably want to do the latter before the former.

Don't worry too much though—if you save after any ending then you'll be placed back at a position that you can try for the other endings.

Adding to this after Ringabel gets his memory back in chapter six and you speak to Yulyana in the Vestal cave for the second time that's probably the best time in the context of the story to follow your suspicions and stop listening to Airy. This'll send you right to the final chapter and cuts down the three chapter drag in the story in a way that feels natural

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Choose Send in the battle menu then do the attack you want to send.

Wait like, actually in a battle?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yes, you need to send attacks that happen during a battle.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm still only on the Prelude chapter (holy hell it feels long), at Lontano Villa, but I'm really loving this game so far. I don't think I've ever finished a FF game, I always get bored/lose interest at some point, and the grinding usually gets to me. I haven't felt like I've needed to grind so far really (but again, I'm not that far in). It's a lot of fun, too. One of the previous FF games which I played was 3 (the DS remake of it), I don't think I really "got" the job system in it. I was very reluctant to change jobs on characters in it.

One complaint that I'd have about Bravely Default is that I feel like it takes ages to gain job levels.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Darth Hanbidge posted:

I streeptpassed someone yesterday who had set a 1 power basic attack. I didn't even realise you could do so little damage!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's 40%/40% for me so far on getting a weak lil' tutorial attack or a 150-healing potion or whatever. The remaining percentage is 18% 4000-7000 attacks by regular people and the final 2% is 100,000+ mega-moves by people at level 99 and all jobs maxed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I apparently can't even use the ablink feature because I have no one in my BD friend list.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I'm still only on the Prelude chapter (holy hell it feels long), at Lontano Villa, but I'm really loving this game so far. I don't think I've ever finished a FF game, I always get bored/lose interest at some point, and the grinding usually gets to me. I haven't felt like I've needed to grind so far really (but again, I'm not that far in). It's a lot of fun, too. One of the previous FF games which I played was 3 (the DS remake of it), I don't think I really "got" the job system in it. I was very reluctant to change jobs on characters in it.

One complaint that I'd have about Bravely Default is that I feel like it takes ages to gain job levels.

There is a island above the water village where one of the dragon pillars are- go there, put on easy mode, +100% encounters and run around there for easy XP/JP/Money, equip a growth egg and have fun easily grinding!

Samael fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 3, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Remember that after you have some friends registered on your 3ds you still need to import them in BD.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

I streeptpassed someone yesterday who had set a 1 power basic attack. I didn't even realise you could do so little damage!

I knew, because that's about how much damage all enemies do to my double-shield Edea and Tiz. :smug:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Dual shields and the skill that uses your def to attack is amazing. To anyone who is mildly endangered of getting bored by the gameplay halfway through, here's the most broken combo of the entire game: Ninja and Valkyrie is a nigh unbeatable combo for 99% of the encounters in the game. It's perfect for endgame stuff too, all you need is a mastered time mage for hasten world. Then you stack as much agi as possible on everyone and do high jump. Press auto battle, win the game.

I did this from chapter 6 to the final boss, only had to manually control one fight.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 3, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Seems you can't update friends for the demo over the Internet. Guess I'll never get to try that out till I get the full game

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seems you can't update friends for the demo over the Internet. Guess I'll never get to try that out till I get the full game
Nope, the internet functionality is disabled in the demo.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Pierson posted:

It's 40%/40% for me so far on getting a weak lil' tutorial attack or a 150-healing potion or whatever. The remaining percentage is 18% 4000-7000 attacks by regular people and the final 2% is 100,000+ mega-moves by people at level 99 and all jobs maxed.

Bear in mind that if the sent ability is a special, then it might have a number of additional effects besides what's listed, depending on how they've customised it. I often send Rejuvenation which shows as a few thousand HP heal, but what it doesn't tell you is that it also raises anyone who's dead, restores a bunch of MP and gives everyone 2 BP. Others might put a status effect on the boss, give your whole party a useful buff, that kind of thing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I was rather surprised by the amount of bosses I could Poison in the game. (And the ones who didn't could usually be Paralyzed by Ringabel's Special attack.) It made for some rather fun battles.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's a chest on Lontano Villa 3F which is locked. Do you need a job ability to unlock it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

There's a chest on Lontano Villa 3F which is locked. Do you need a job ability to unlock it?

Chapter 6 item will allow you to unlock these.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aurain posted:

Chapter 6 item will allow you to unlock these.
Crap, I was worried that it would be something you'd get later on. Do you get locked out of coming back to Caldisla?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You get never ever locked out of Anything, really.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hymirvetr posted:

You get never ever locked out of Anything, really.

I think some of the Party Chats may be missable. Always do them before talking to an NPC just to be safe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ah ok. I thought people earlier had said that you get locked out of sidequests when you progress chapters. I guess I misread/misunderstood. Thanks guys!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Ah ok. I thought people earlier had said that you get locked out of sidequests when you progress chapters. I guess I misread/misunderstood. Thanks guys!

Well, that's a unique situation. I'll spoiler it so you can come back to this post when you reach chapter (safe spoiler)5 and understand what I meant.

Dangerous spoiler VVVVV
You're not necessarily being locked out of a side quest, per se, but if you rush through chapter 5/6 and 7 to get to the true end, you miss out on unique dialogue and characterisation scenes with the Job Masters you've already beaten as they're all alive again at the start of a new cycle. It's up to you as to how important these scenes are to you but if you skip them, you can't get these scenes again. You're not exactly missing content because you've already done it (barring chapter 7 fights and some of 6 which mix some/all job master fights up) but you are missing new scenes.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

I think I saw someone with a 0 power basic attack a couple of weeks ago. I'm... not sure how they managed that, or why.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Quantum Toast posted:

I think I saw someone with a 0 power basic attack a couple of weeks ago. I'm... not sure how they managed that, or why.

I think the damage of a sent attack is whatever damage it did when the sender used it, so maybe they missed, or some boss gimmick prevented the damage or something?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Suaimhneas posted:

I think the damage of a sent attack is whatever damage it did when the sender used it, so maybe they missed, or some boss gimmick prevented the damage or something?

The power rating definitely is.

Just tested it when i used a special bow attack to do a whopping 3.5k damage. Hope you all appreciate it.

I think it's there to give you a rough idea of the maximum damage you can expect to deal with the move.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Suaimhneas posted:

Yea it's that, a 0 damage attack means a miss or a block or something silly like that, the 1 damage is the way more hilarious one.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just arrived in Ancheim. I love this music. :allears: I've put about 6 hours into this already, and I'm really only at the start. I mean, I probably wasted about half an hour going back up to Lontano Villa to see could I find a way to open that chest, but apart from that I've just been going straight through it more or less, aside from spending time gearing up etc.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I heard the Hard costume reward was removed from the english releases. is this true?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Aurain posted:

I think some of the Party Chats may be missable. Always do them before talking to an NPC just to be safe.

I'm pretty sure that you can also run out of enemies that teach you specific Genomes, mostly Energy Burst since you can only learn it from 2 bosses. Not being able to learn the -ja spells might also be possible if you get hosed over with SpotPass, although I'm not entirely sure how likely that would be.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I heard the Hard costume reward was removed from the english releases. is this true?

I've heard nothing of the sort, only :reddit: complaining about "censorship" because the bonus costume had a bikini bottom replaced with hotpants.

Also, if you change difficulty at all during gameplay, the costume does not unlock. So no cheesing the game in easy mode and switching to hard on the final boss.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Dehry posted:

I've heard nothing of the sort, only :reddit: complaining about "censorship" because the bonus costume had a bikini bottom replaced with hotpants.

Also, if you change difficulty at all during gameplay, the costume does not unlock. So no cheesing the game in easy mode and switching to hard on the final boss.

At least in the EU version (which I would assume to be what the US is getting as well) it was changed to being a reward for beating a certain boss fight, all that hard mode gets you is bragging rights.

And the censorship changes roughly 5 pixels on 2 outfits. You'll hardly notice it even if you know the changes, especially since they left some rather suggestive dialog in (nevermind that the story goes some really dark places during certain segments, so I wouldn't exactly call it a kiddie game in any case).

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

AnotherGamer posted:

I'm pretty sure that you can also run out of enemies that teach you specific Genomes, mostly Energy Burst since you can only learn it from 2 bosses.
Pretty sure you can't screw yourself out of genomes. Those two bosses respawn, and for the early game ones, they appear again in the bonus dungeon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is there a fake internet StreetPass functionality? It seems to be fairly important to have StreetPasses to actually build the village, but if I can't get dudes from the tubes because StreetPass in America is broken, I think I won't buy this game. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Phone posted:

Is there a fake internet StreetPass functionality? It seems to be fairly important to have StreetPasses to actually build the village, but if I can't get dudes from the tubes because StreetPass in America is broken, I think I won't buy this game. :/

You can fake streetpassing by setting your wifi SSID to "attwifi" and spoofing one of the homepass MAC addresses - it works fine. If you want to super-cheese streetpass you can cycle the ~15 homepass MACs once every 8 hours.

Just google for "homepass" and follow the instructions - the bit about having to turn off your wifi security is wrong, just leave the password the same and add the renamed AP to your 3DS as one of your 3 connections.

e: The important bit is the SSID and MAC address.

• Locked thread