Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just look at how happy this guy is! I think his name is Crosshairs.

They are keeping a semi-organic aspect of the Decepticons: you can see the slime/drool on its.. mouth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat, that trailer owned. The Dinobots looked huge and there's literally a face turning into a gun and shooting back at Optimus. It's like they read this thread while filming.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

From violence to faces to violent faces. I love it.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat, that trailer owned. The Dinobots looked huge and there's literally a face turning into a gun and shooting back at Optimus. It's like they read this thread while filming.

I hope we get some of the non-vehicle transformations like Megatron's gun form.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Seriously guys...

Optimus wielding a sword while riding Grimlock. If that doesn't get you excited, then :frogout:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The transformations/battles still look cluttered and messy as the first films, imo, but there is no Sheer LaBeef which means the film has a chance of being not ungood.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

WastedJoker posted:

The transformations/battles still look cluttered and messy as the first films, imo

Good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Seriously, its like Bay remembered Prime saying "Give me your face." and now has a Decepticon go "Come and take it." *BOOM! CHBOOOM!* and Prime gets shot.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Is that megatrons alt form? Also Swoop and Grimlock look badass! They appear to be deceptions though.

That looked more like Hungrrrr than Swoop.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Psikotik posted:

That looked more like Hungrrrr than Swoop.

leaked shots of the toys show that swoop will be a two headed pteranodon.
Note grimlock has horns or something.
Will there be an explanation as to why the dinobots are almost dinosaurs but not quite? Do the differences have a subtextual meaning or are they simple to look cool? Why weren't such liberties taken with more of the vehicle modes to movie transformers? I have many questions, the two headed pteranodon is baffling to me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I didn't know Swoop would have two heads. It seems like they're kind of mashing up dinosaurs with some element of fantasy thrown in. Like, I've thought as a kid "What if Grimlock was Godzilla?" and it feels like Swoop is some kind of King Ghidorah.

There were Decepticons like that, I think the Terrorcons who were a gestalt like Devestator but fantasy monsters.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rita Repulsa posted:

leaked shots of the toys show that swoop will be a two headed pteranodon.
Note grimlock has horns or something.
Will there be an explanation as to why the dinobots are almost dinosaurs but not quite? Do the differences have a subtextual meaning or are they simple to look cool? Why weren't such liberties taken with more of the vehicle modes to movie transformers? I have many questions, the two headed pteranodon is baffling to me.

They didn't choose the forms to blend in with Dinosaurs but rather to appear as God monsters to ancient man; Chinese dragon, Quezacotl, etc.

This ties into the subtext that modern transformers have taken the forms of what we worship - military might and consumer goods.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

PriorMarcus posted:

They didn't choose the forms to blend in with Dinosaurs but rather to appear as God monsters to ancient man; Chinese dragon, Quezacotl, etc.

This ties into the subtext that modern transformers have taken the forms of what we worship - military might and consumer goods.

This is a disturbingly good interpretation. Has the same subtle mockery of the audience that terry's interpetations have and works in-movie for once given rotf had that baffling part with ancient humans and transformers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

PriorMarcus posted:

That is an awesome take. Cool.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Just to point out that it my own made up theory, I've no idea if it's what the film is using.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Just to point out that it my own made up theory, I've no idea if it's what the film is using.

It is now, in my mind. The Mayan gods being transformers would be awesome.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Or its just more pandering to audiences in developing markets. (China, Latin America, etc.)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
prior was just making comparisons when name dropping queltz and chinese dragons., just mentioning the existance of god beasts in culture

Neither grimlock nor swoop resemeble either that directly. Chinese dragons are long and sinuous with beards and doglike faces.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Axel Serenity posted:

Seriously guys...

Optimus wielding a sword while riding Grimlock. If that doesn't get you excited, then :frogout:

Actually, looking at it in motion, it appears that Optimus has a shield as well.

This is Michael Bay's great secret: He knows how to make our inner 8 year olds scream in excitement.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PriorMarcus posted:

Booyah.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Actually, looking at it in motion, it appears that Optimus has a shield as well.

This is Michael Bay's great secret: He knows how to make our inner 8 year olds scream in excitement.

Is it just me or does this shot look really cheap?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Might be just the gif compression, it looks pretty good to me?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

What I'm wondering is why they're launching rockets back there.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

wdarkk posted:

That's just a practical (i.e. real life) pyrotechnic effect. You see that in a lot of shots in these movies. Usually there's a big CGI robot in front to hide most of it.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 3, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I will say this: If Grimlock does not refer to himself in the third person, I am coming for you Michael Bay. :argh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, these normally make more sense when they aren't issuing forward from the destruction of an ancient Chinese archway.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I will say this: If Grimlock does not refer to himself in the third person, I am coming for you Michael Bay. :argh:

The Dinobots are going to be as intelligent as Gods. It's gonna be total Architect from Matrix speak, man! gently caress yo Transfomers, kiddies!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Chinese fireworks for Chinese New Year?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

PriorMarcus posted:

God drat. I've always felt as if Bay has been maliciously mocking the audience with the Transformers movie, this makes me really believe it now.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gatts posted:

The Dinobots are going to be as intelligent as Gods. It's gonna be total Architect from Matrix speak, man! gently caress yo Transfomers, kiddies!

"VIS A VIS! CONCORDANTLY!.....me Grimlock forget where me going with this..."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Should I get hyped for this movie or not? I enjoyed the first Transformers movie, thought the second was complete poo poo, and never watched the 3rd.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tommy 2.0 posted:

God drat. I've always felt as if Bay has been maliciously mocking the audience with the Transformers movie, this makes me really believe it now.

It's pretty easy to assume that they're putting a Transformers twist on the old story of mythical creatures being inspired by dinosaur bones. The dinobots (crash-)landed millions of years ago, based their shapes off dinosaurs, and then were eventually worshiped by humans.

This also handily combines Jurassic Park imagery with 'golden calf' imagery - a bit of Prometheus-style 'Chariots of the Gods' stuff.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Do you like Dinosaurs? Do you like Robots? Do you like Robots riding Robotic Dinosaurs while explosions shoot out of their rear end for no reason?

If you answer yes to these then you will enjoy this movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mordiceius posted:

Should I get hyped for this movie or not? I enjoyed the first Transformers movie, thought the second was complete poo poo, and never watched the 3rd.

3 is easily the best one. But, then again, 1 is the worst. Your results may vary.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why don't the Dinobots have feathers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sassassin posted:

I wonder if they'll have small brains.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

They kinda do, with the layered metal style and all that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Do the Dinobots ever look like actual dinosaurs, or is it always a transformation between obviously-robotic dinosaur and obviously-robotic humanoid?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The main G1 Dinobots are always robotic (except for a while in some comics), but a lot of the ones from other series have fleshy exteriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The Dinobots have always been stupid, arrogant, immensely powerful, and loving hilarious. I hope we get something similar to this in the next movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNz2fMOYng

Also, note that Grimlock thinks of himself as the boss. This could cause conflict with Optimus Prime over who is the leader of the Autobots.