Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

She was probably more willing to have physical contact with another woman than the sort of guy that tends to show up at indie wrestling shows.

Oh absolutely. I didn't realize LM was female, that suddenly makes a lot more sense. I doubt Maria would hug many if any male wrestling fans at an indie shoe, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh absolutely. I didn't realize LM was female, that suddenly makes a lot more sense. I doubt Maria would hug many if any male wrestling fans at an indie shoe, haha.

Haha I didn't know LM was female either, I thought it was a dude going to great lengths to show how unimpressed he was to get a hug by Maria.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

at one point she came out to announce the total donation thus far and looked like she just did a massive line before she went out so I really didn't know what to think of it

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
PWInsider has an audio interview with Quack up. He REALLY liked Watchmen.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

DM Punk posted:

The comic or the movie

This is important

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

triplexpac posted:

The comic or the movie

This is important

The comic. He makes it sound like the best thing ever printed.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I wonder if he's one of the people that hate the poo poo out of the Watchmen movie for not having the same ending as the comic.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

KungFu Grip posted:

I wonder if he's one of the people that hate the poo poo out of the Watchmen movie for not having the same ending as the comic.

I guarantee he is, there's no way he couldn't sperg out about it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Coincidentally, when I told someone my "Quack is Dr. Cube" theory, he noted that it would be a huge Watchmen reference, making it that much more likely.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

my favorite part of Watchmen was when Dan made Laurie sleep on the couch because she told her mom that he was Niteowl

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Or when Hollis Mason held Dan up for money the day before the biggest superheroing event of the year.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Or Mothman coming back in good shape for one reunion, but then being brought back the next year after he had fallen off the wagon again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Or when the series had an 8 month delay so instead they released a bunch of pirate comics in the meantime.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And somehow in all this NPWD talk we missed Drew Gulak having the mist significant title defense in recorded history.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Watched a couple matches and the big faction battle. loving insane that Icarus and Archibald Peck seem to basically be the top faces in the company now, though face Icarus is working out so far better than I expected.

Jimmy Jacobs as the latest heel faction leader might be fun, and I'll at least give the company a look when they return. They better be be running more interesting shows than they were last year if they want my money with NJPW taking up the bulk of my non WWE wrestling watching though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Peck's natural fit to push. Teetolar, doesn't swear and is a genuinely likable fellow. So he's a perfect fit.

Icarus is a Chikara veteran. He works pretty well as a face thats earned his spot.

Other than that you have Ultramantis and, uh, Dasher?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

coconono posted:

Peck's natural fit to push. Teetolar, doesn't swear and is a genuinely likable fellow. So he's a perfect fit.

Icarus is a Chikara veteran. He works pretty well as a face thats earned his spot.

Other than that you have Ultramantis and, uh, Dasher?

Hallowicked, Thunderfrog, Colony, Portal...there's a ton of lovable faces.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
No more Donst?

http://imgur.com/MZvQz7P

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Don't get me wrong, Evans is doing a great job with the gimmick, just never would've imagined a year ago that him and Icarus would be cast as the top two guys.

Like the Baltic guys from what little I've seen of them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Same goes for Sugar Dunkerton. Akuma's been absent during the entire Ashes situation and only live-tweeted NPWD, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not involved either.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

Same goes for Sugar Dunkerton. Akuma's been absent during the entire Ashes situation and only live-tweeted NPWD, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not involved either.

Akuma said he's happy that CHIKARA is back but hasn't been contacted for anything involving it. He was somewhat critical of the non-wrestling parts of this whole thing, so maybe Quack is bitter.

Donst is weird though since he was in some Ashes videos and seemed to be involved in some aspect of the story.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Toxx Sonnet no. 9 - Ode to Remsburg

The puzzle pieces falling into place
of Quackenbush's magnum opus; Rise
CHIKARA, rise! The mask upon his face
Is tightened; now, unto the prize.

Has Kingston flown the coop? And will we see
The corp'rate giant crush our heroes like
A group of ants? Not these ants! The Colony!
The King of Trios! Mantis on the mic!

A continuity spread years behind
The Young Lions Cup and Cibernetico,
The serious, the wacky intertwined
Oh CHIKARA, my love, I've missed you so

A world is born from Quackenbush's pen.
May 25th, the story starts again.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Last Ashes video just went up.

AssailAnt is now the new Worker Ant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_R7udfIgQ

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DM Punk posted:

Not until he's possessed by the ghost of Stan Hansen he isn't :colbert:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

DM Punk posted:

Why isn't his kid an ant

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Why isn't his kid an ant

He married a human obviously.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Clearly it's some sort of Octodad situation at home.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
I really hope that Tim Donst and Sugar Dunkerton aren't going to be around in the relaunched Chikara because they have massive big-time opportunities, and not because Quackenbush is being a butt-head.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

SirDippingSauce posted:

I really hope that Tim Donst and Sugar Dunkerton aren't going to be around in the relaunched Chikara because they have massive big-time opportunities, and not because Quackenbush is being a butt-head.

By things they've both said on Twitter, they won't be.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

SirDippingSauce posted:

I hope so too. Donst was money near the end of Chikara before this, and it'd kinda suck that we'd miss out on it because Quackenbush is Quackenbush. Dunkerton was getting better every show. They both have upside, and I'd rather them not stick around Chikara if it's getting in the way of them possibly seeing the world/etc.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Donst said a few days ago that he and CHIKARA have parted ways for the "foreseeable future". And Sugar said the same pretty much. That's fine, but a little annoying they never tied up their storylines before the shutdown.

I also doubt Gargano will be back either. Or Saturyne. Or Jakob. And there's probably a few more I am leaving out too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhonne posted:

He married a human obviously.
Oh so he is a Myrmidon then

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DM Punk posted:

Donst said a few days ago that he and CHIKARA have parted ways for the "foreseeable future". And Sugar said the same pretty much. That's fine, but a little annoying they never tied up their storylines before the shutdown.

I also doubt Gargano will be back either. Or Saturyne. Or Jakob. And there's probably a few more I am leaving out too.

Yeah, I was surprised Jakob wasn't involved in some fashion with the BDK rebirth. Who was that third guy with Ares and Tursas anyway?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thauros posted:

Yeah, I was surprised Jakob wasn't involved in some fashion with the BDK rebirth. Who was that third guy with Ares and Tursas anyway?

Claudio? (Antonio Cesaro)

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Thauros posted:

That wasn't Tursas. That was some new guy called Nøkken. The third guy is called Milo Schnitzler.

I think Jakob is involved in the Bloc Party faction. I think he's the guy in the mask as the Polar Baron, whose name is Martov Sicklemeier.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I think Jakob is involved in the Bloc Party faction. I think he's the guy in the mask as the Polar Baron, whose name is Martov Sicklemeier.

Really? What makes you think that? The dude's voice doesnt sound anything like him.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

DM Punk posted:

Really? What makes you think that? The dude's voice doesnt sound anything like him.

Yes, because it's impossible to disguise your voice by talking lower and affecting a different accent.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
All that being said, it's very much possible that this is more Quack-Fun-Time and that Donst, Sugar, etc are being held back for a bigger return later on in the story. No matter what the actual end result is, I'm hoping the best for everyone who was involved with Chikara before the shutdown last year, as they had a pretty nice roster full of people who were possibly going places.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

DM Punk posted:

Gargano at least is busy in bigger things, and Saturyne just has a new gimmick but iirc also wrestled in a few "Wrestling IS..." venues with the new gimmick, and I really really hope Jakob comes back, not even for selfish reasons, just because he was super entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

For the guys not being part of Chikara for the foreseeable future, it's one of two things. Either Quack is playing a long game with them or he just doesn't have any spots on the roster.

When Gargano joined Chikara, they did a storyline where he made Icarus and Chuck Taylor believe that Akuma was the weak link in FIST and they ended up kicking him out of the group. The storyline was pretty simple: Akuma would be gone for a while, come back down the line as a face and feud with FIST, culminating in a big blow-off match with Icarus and then being a regular part of the roster again. Great angle, but Akuma was pretty pissed off about it because it meant that during all that time, he wasn't going to be booked in Chikara.

With the other option, that's what happened to guys like Super Smash Brothers. Quack simply had nothing for them in terms of the direction he was going in. He just had about 40 guys brawl over the future of Chikara. It's understandable that he simply doesn't have a spot for Dunkerton at the moment, even if he is awesome. It's weird to say, but before the Ashes angle, Chikara reached the point where at least 90% of the matches were part of a larger story. Something like Akuma vs. Jakob was about building up Jakob's rage and his knockout punch. Or it could be something like Saturyne pinning someone for the sake of saying that she's in line for a Young Lions Cup shot. Every match on the card became more and more important and there were far less throwaway matches.

Meanwhile, you have Wrestling is Fun, where they can have Shane Storm wrestle Grizzly Redwood despite neither having shown up in Chikara in forever. Wrestling is Fun feels like older Chikara, only without the emphasis. You won't see them waste Steen or a Japanese import on Wrestling is Fun, but you will see matches that have no bearing on anything.

At least everyone's story has been wrapped up in some way. Sugar and Gargano kayfabe quit directly before Chikara closed down, meaning neither had a reason to be involved with the resurrection. Tim Donst's angle and gimmick reached its conclusion and Ashes found an entertaining way to show his epilogue, at least for now. Akuma... Well, Akuma simply had nothing going on. After King of Trios '12, he just became "face Lance Storm" and only popped in to remind everyone that he was friends with 3.0.

• Locked thread