Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
d) wait a couple seconds for the fire to burn out and proceed into B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Shogunner posted:

They still do tons of damage if you try to jump through them since jumping doesn't make the damage less.
Did they change that? I have played very sparsely over the past few months but I remember taking less than 10 damage or so jumping through molotovs.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Shogunner posted:

They still do tons of damage if you try to jump through them since jumping doesn't make the damage less. 2 playing banana on inferno + incens owns for example since they either

a) smoke their own rush and get owned out of the smoke
b) gently caress off and go a
c) all take 40 damage coming into the site

d) wait like 8 seconds and continue as normal?

e:f;b

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Babyface Mingo posted:

d) wait a couple seconds for the fire to burn out and proceed into B

2 of em = gives you rotate time + discourages flying through smoke and having terrorists 1-ak your defender which is best if you have a weaker shooter defending b. if they do rush through the molotovs then the chance of taking them down with one magazine will be greatly increased.

dy. posted:

Did they change that? I have played very sparsely over the past few months but I remember taking less than 10 damage or so jumping through molotovs.

yeah it's been changed for a while now

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

$800.

Shogunner posted:

gives you rotate time

False.

If they rush the site, it doesn't give you rotate time, they just take the damage and rush you. If they wait for the fire to go out, they'll do it quietly and then rush you once the fire goes out, giving you no time to rotate anyway.

If you do rotate before they pressure the site, a good team should recognize that you've overrotated at that point, and then go A instead.

Shogunner posted:

+ discourages flying through smoke and having terrorists 1-ak your defender

As opposed to flying through the fire and 1-AK-ing your defender? Or just 1-AK-ing your defender through the fire first?

Use smoke for this. Every time.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Decoys don't seem to be great to plan some grand strategic masterpiece move off of. However, if you are a player who utilizes the radar (you should), then you know that decoys do take a few seconds of the match off of you.

Maybe it's just me, but there is always that 1 or 2 second beat while i look at the radar, i'm confused for a moment, then I realize it's a decoy and I go about my business.

edit- Molotovs are legit, did any of you guys watch dreamhack??

RadioPassive posted:

B-b-but I'm attacking B site on inferno as T. I can't carry two smokes, and I got big plans for my other smoke.

Babyface Mingo posted:

I still feel smokes do a better job than molotovs in most cases.

i can't carry 2 smoke help me

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 3, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
The only very niche use for a molotov is forcing an enemy out of an enclosed area. stuff like that loving big box on season B site or the various hidey holes on toscan A. It's very rarely worth the cost.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I still feel smokes do a better job than molotovs in most cases. I mean unless you're playing with bads, most of the time the consensus is to not push through smoke so the smoke already clears that whole 'rushing' thing. The molotov just does the no rushing thing by making it so that you take damage if you do try to push through it. Also, your chances of getting shot through a molotov are like 85%, while a smoke is 50%.

At least that's how I feel about it. Basically I think molotov has really niche uses but hey.

Plum Chaser fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 3, 2014

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

RadioPassive posted:

$800.

False.

If they rush the site, it doesn't give you rotate time, they just take the damage and rush you. If they wait for the fire to go out, they'll do it quietly and then rush you once the fire goes out, giving you no time to rotate anyway.

If you do rotate before they pressure the site, a good team should recognize that you've overrotated at that point, and then go A instead.

As opposed to flying through the fire and 1-AK-ing your defender? Or just 1-AK-ing your defender through the fire first?

1200 bucks actually, I don't gently caress with incendiaries if we aren't up a decent amount

It gives you rotate time if they decide to wait because you'll have a mid picker, apts guy, and cubby guy (the way I like playing b), cubby guy can rotate if mid guy doesn't see them back out. Also flying through the fire and getting 1-ak'd still gives your second b guy time to throw a flash/nade and defend the site whilst cubby guy is watching from ct. It's way more complex to write out and sounds janky but using it in games has worked phenomenally 4/5 times

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Popehoist posted:

The only very niche use for a molotov is forcing an enemy out of an enclosed area. stuff like that loving big box on season B site or the various hidey holes on toscan A. It's very rarely worth the cost.

It can be useful as a last-ditch effort to defend a ticking bomb as well. Especially if you're significantly outnumbered.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

40 OZ posted:

Decoys don't seem to be great to plan some grand strategic masterpiece move off of. However, if you are a player who utilizes the radar (you should), then you know that decoys do take a few seconds of the match off of you.

Maybe it's just me, but there is always that 1 or 2 second beat while i look at the radar, i'm confused for a moment, then I realize it's a decoy and I go about my business.

edit- Molotovs are legit, did any of you guys watch dreamhack??

B-b-but I'm attacking B site on inferno as T. I can't carry two smokes, and I got big plans for my other smoke.

Decoys are also great to mask your own sound since throwing 5 (or 10) of them around will mask your footsteps.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah molotovs/incgrenades are pretty decent. Of course you can just rush through them but you will take like 30-50 damage, which is 1 less shot to kill you. And odd's are, at least one of your teammates will stop at the fire and gently caress up the rush.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

What about if Molotov were only $200-250?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
They're good nades and it's hilarious how gung ho some people in this thread are about being right about molotovs!!!

Run through fire and 1ak the defender, sure. Stop moving in the fire so you can 1ak the defender and take a shitload of extra damage, and likely get lit the gently caress up by the defender if not killed. Or else wait till you're outside of the fire to blast your sick 1ak, but oops by that time you're already dead because the CT is watching you try to clear the fire. I don't see how this point makes them any different than smokes, if not more effective. Just run thru the smoke and 1ak the defender heh, smoke's loving SUCK.

Yeah, you're right that they might not buy you time if the entire team is loving stupid and is going to run through the fire taking a total of like 200 damage, but then you spray everyone down by yourself because they're all panicking from rushing through fire and also damaged to hell.

e: plus, like 40oz said, when you buy incgrenades, you should also be carrying.... a SMOKE!!!

They're not a waste of money especially if you've got >1-2k after your buy. I don't buy them every round, but mollys are great stop being idiotic and condescending... radiopassive

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 3, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Don't rush through smokes and/or fire you idiots

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
1v1 radiopassive vs shogunner at banana on inferno. shogunner gets to throw a molotov every round and radiopassive only has his sick AK

e: im upset about bad CS opinions being delivered forcefully!!!!!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
yo someone post my molotov on mcvey from season a few days ago, molotovs own get over it nubs

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The best use of fire is obviously to hide it under smoke. That way, when they run through the smoke they get damaged as well :smug: :smug: :smug:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Sorry Xen for calling you a bad name.

Quit buying only deagles when you're on my team or I'll find your address and gently caress you up.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Dylan-D posted:

Is there any valid strategy to employ with decoy grenades, specifically when they are used as intended (to decoy; not to fakeflash)?

It seems like the only time I find them marginally useful is as CT when a rush is coming you throw it somewhere no one is and you sometimes have Ts going out of their way to peek the grenade.

Yes, buy a Negev then a decoy and throw it somewhere. Works best if your entire team does this all in a single site so no one can hear anything.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

down with slavery posted:

yo someone post my molotov on mcvey from season a few days ago, molotovs own get over it nubs

Clutchest molly I've seen.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
one of fat lou's videos a few pages back has a double kill in cache's upper b from a molly (I was one)

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

The only time I used a decoy to great effect was on cs_Italy. With fifteen seconds left, I threw a smoke and a decoy in the smoke and ran away from the last CT. He spent several seconds firing at the decoy before realizing I wasn't there and lost the round.

I agree with T-side Molotov. They are better denying the defuse if you can pull it off.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I like using incendiaries when I'm defending a site alone, such as Dust2 B or Mirage B. Fire up the hall, smoke it when it goes out, and I've taken 30+ seconds off the clock unless the enemy has balls of steel. And if they do, then I've charred their ball hairs and can give them a light tap to complete their castration.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Lemming posted:

The best use of fire is obviously to hide it under smoke. That way, when they run through the smoke they get damaged as well :smug: :smug: :smug:

Except throwing a smoke extinguishes fire and throwing fire extinguishes it immediately if it's on top of smoke, i'm 90% sure.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Lemming posted:

That was only viable through like...November 2012. At that point they made it so smoke and fire don't mix. Fire gets put out instantly.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Just in case anyone here is new, here's a public service announcement: I don't like anyone.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

how were the three smugfaces not a dead giveaway. I thought you guys could understand basic sarcasm and now I'm ashamed to play CS with you.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Xenaero posted:

Just in case anyone here is new, here's a public service announcement: I don't like anyone.

nice

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Xenaero posted:

Just in case anyone here is new, here's a public service announcement: I like everyone.

Aww!

:glomp:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Jellidelic posted:

how were the three smugfaces not a dead giveaway. I thought you guys could understand basic sarcasm and now I'm ashamed to play CS with you.

is emptyquoting allowed here

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Jellidelic posted:

Have you seen some of the players in Goonman? Some of them are bad and need to be taught. :viggo:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Fat Lou posted:

Have you seen some of the players in Goonman? Some of them are bad and need to be taught. :viggo:

I believe the proper emoticon you were looking for is :black101:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

teagone posted:

Smoke is better to use to stop or delay a rush 100% of the time.

How does a molotov not? I usually buy both, and just drop one when the other runs out; the only way to counter a molotov is to drop a smoke on it, which would kind of be screwing your own team over when it comes down to it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Anyone have a solution for crazy framerate drops on BB? I feel like it might have happened on Wex, too, but I've tried dozens of other community servers (and matchmaking :v:) and it only happens when I play with goons. My game runs at ~150 FPS (fps_max 150) until I look in the direction of anyone and then it drops down to the teens. If I shoot at anyone, I'm looking at <5 FPS. If I didn't drop to single digits while actually shooting at people, I'd almost feel like I'm cheating because it happens regardless of distance to the player. It's like I'm playing with the worst wallhack.

edit: Specs, even though I think they're probably irrelevant:

i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz
Radeon 7870
240GB SSD
8 GB RAM

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 4, 2014

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Mess with drivers?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

RadioPassive posted:

Mess with drivers?

Everything's current. I don't think it's a common problem, but the last time I played on BB, someone else said they had the same issue. I just don't understand why it only happens on the one server, regardless of map. Occurs if I set all of the settings to low, as well.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I don't understand why the server would have any affect on client side graphics junk. Do you get choke/loss on BB?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

astr0man posted:

I don't understand why the server would have any affect on client side graphics junk. Do you get choke/loss on BB?

Fix your rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Do you use -processheap in your launch options?

• Locked thread