Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
As the poster above me stated, about half the series is using magic to jump around and teleport between dimensions and interacting with various gods/creatures. And the other half is people using weirdo shadow dances or dolls and string or card reading to predict events or make them better in a fight or whatever else. Sure, during a battle it's an explosion, but one of the plot points is even that Tehol's continent is using a rough, older, more raw power source for devastatingly terrible magic, while Malazan magic is a lot more refined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I don't disagree with the points above, but it still seems to me that every contest between magicians devolves into a contest of explosions. Maybe that's okay, though. At any rate, the descriptions of magic outside of Big Energy Blasts are both interesting and well-written.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm not trying to argue or anything, but that's sort of like saying whenever there's a war, our current knowledge or thermodynamics only shows itself in which side has the bigger and better explosions. It's the most efficient use of power to achieve the goal.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it
I'm an old Black Company reader, and someone recommended this to me a couple of years ago. I decided to pick it up last month, and I've just started Memories of Ice.

:drat:

This series is amazing. I studied a fair amount of anthropology / archaeology so Erikson's twist on fantasy hits all the right notes for me. Gardens of the Moon was kind of rough to get through at times (but enjoyable), and given the time between the first book and the rest, I totally get why. That said, I was totally hooked about halfway through Deadhouse Gates. I thought it was going to take a while for Memories of Ice to pick up after that, but it really hits the ground running.

Quick, general question for those who've read the entire run (re: ascendency): is the process ever really explained in any detail? I think its continuum of power and the varied circumstances that lead to it have been really entertaining so far—part of its appeal is its unfolding mystery, I'm just wondering if there's a payoff down the road. Is the "tipping point" for mortals into ascendency ever really made clear? So far it seems like a few things can trigger it; being chosen by gods, interacting with certain warrens, etc.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Archonic posted:

Quick, general question for those who've read the entire run (re: ascendency)

Is it ever really explained fully and completely? No. Throughout the series though, there are a few characters who provide their thoughts on the matter.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

rizzen posted:

Is it ever really explained fully and completely? No. Throughout the series though, there are a few characters who provide their thoughts on the matter.

Yea, in one of the latter novels I think it's Paran that has a discussion about Ascendants and how they come to be that gives the most explanation out of anything in the series.

EDIT: I thought I had it saved somewhere but I can't find it. Ascendants are people that have gone beyond a normal mortal constraints, by a trial, experience, singular willpower, etc. as I understand it.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 3, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Archonic posted:

Quick, general question for those who've read the entire run (re: ascendency): is the process ever really explained in any detail? I think its continuum of power and the varied circumstances that lead to it have been really entertaining so far—part of its appeal is its unfolding mystery, I'm just wondering if there's a payoff down the road. Is the "tipping point" for mortals into ascendency ever really made clear? So far it seems like a few things can trigger it; being chosen by gods, interacting with certain warrens, etc.
More or less, though, as with most things in the series, it largely comes from the perspective and theories of other characters, so you may or may not be satisfied with the level of detail. Certainly you find out more about what ascendancy is and some of the many ways in which it happens.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

I don't disagree with the points above, but it still seems to me that every contest between magicians devolves into a contest of explosions. Maybe that's okay, though. At any rate, the descriptions of magic outside of Big Energy Blasts are both interesting and well-written.

I think that may also be a consequence of the fact that just about every direct fight between magicians tends to involve very powerful magicians who (a) don't care as much about getting noticed and (b) have the ability to use Big Energy Blasts (a rare thing relative to the total magic wielding population), which happens to be the easiest way or ending the fight. But then, there are also quite a bit of demon summoning type shenanigans.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheLordOfKraa posted:

I've just started reading / listening to this series and it is very quickly becoming my favorite series of books. I've just started buying the kindle books now instead of waiting for each successive audio-book to come out.

I would have a hard time with a series like this if I just tried listening to it from the beginning. It has such a huge cast and focus, as well as having a lot of weird things happening throughout it that not having the "dramatis personae" lists, glossary indexes and ability to easily reread passages(along with my tendency of not being able to focus as well listening as I do reading) would make it so much harder for me to follow the series. I do love using audiobooks instead of just doing a regular reread for series like this though.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

The best was obviously:

[Book 3]Quick Ben versus the Pannion Seer condors.

Quick Ben was using demonic illusions to funnel enemies into kill zones, sending out brain-buster wraiths, starting a molten landslide and having the Master of the Deck punch a demon-condor out of the air and warg into Hound of Shadow or some awesome poo poo holy gently caress what did I just read.

You know Quick Ben gets a lot of telling not seeing about him being a smart bastard. So it was nice to see him actually live up to his name for once.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Xachariah posted:

You know Quick Ben gets a lot of telling not seeing about him being a smart bastard. So it was nice to see him actually live up to his name for once.

Quick Ben isn't even at his meanest yet. You just made me pick that book up and reread it again.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Well, it certainly doesn't fit my mental image of Tattersail, but I won't complain. It looks pretty god drat great.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
An author writes a non-standard (read: not traditional attractive) woman for a change and some idiot cover artist transforms her into Sexy Thin Lady #852. When "artistic license" means "prettifying", honestly I find that kinda poo poo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Beak.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

the least weasel posted:

An author writes a non-standard (read: not traditional attractive) woman for a change and some idiot cover artist transforms her into Sexy Thin Lady #852. When "artistic license" means "prettifying", honestly I find that kinda poo poo.

I have to agree. One of the early things I liked is that Erikson's characters weren't all paragons of beauty.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

the least weasel posted:

This is what bugged me about the cover before, but it's sad that it's pretty much expected at this point from artists.

Either way, it's still a badass cover.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The scene was loose on details.

It's not his fault, he had no choice but to randomly make poo poo up about a 13 book series.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I get that the artist may not have read Gardens, just that one scene. But the editor or someone else at the publisher has read it, and approved that picture, and likely discussed the scene with the artist ahead of time. So someone had to consciously make the call to "prettify" a character on the basis of marketing - for a cover image that will likely never be used on a physical book, where the cover is more important for making sales.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Just finished Forge of Darkness. I want the rest of the series to be done already! That book took everything I thought I knew and understood and just turned it on its head. Spectacular!

Tooter fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 6, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Man, romance is handled so weirdly in Malazan. It's either completely in your face and literally the only thing the character talks about or just a passing reference.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Tooter posted:

Just finished Forge of Darkness. I want the rest of the series to be done already! That book took everything I thought I knew and understood and just turned it on its head. Spectacular!

To make your wait more painful the blurb for the next book, Fall of Light just got posted on Amazon.

Spoilers galore if you haven't read Forge of Darkness

"It is a bitter winter and civil war now ravages Kurald Galain, as Urusander's Legion prepares to march upon the city of Kharkanas. The rebels' only opposition lies scattered, bereft of a leader since Anomander's departure in search of his estranged brother, Andarist. The last brother remaining, Silchas Ruin, rules in Anomander's stead. He seeks to gather the Houseblades of the Highborn Noble families and resurrect the Hust Legion in the southlands, but is fast running out of time. The officers and leaders of Urusander's Legion, led by Hunn Raal, want the Consort, Draconus, cast aside and Vatha Urusander wedded to Mother Dark, taking his place on a throne at the side of the Living Goddess. But this union will be far more than political, as a sorcerous power has claimed those opposing Mother Dark - given form by the exiled High Priestess Syntara, the Cult of Light rises in answer to Mother Dark and her Children. Far to the west, an unlikely army has gathered, seeking an enemy without form, in a place none can find, and commanded by a Jaghut driven mad with grief. Hood's call has been heard, and the long-abandoned city of Omtose Phellack is now home to a rabble of new arrivals. From the south have come Dog-Runners and Jheck warriors. From the Western Sea strange ships have grounded upon the harsh shore, with blue-skinned strangers arriving to offer Hood their swords. And from the North, down from mountain fastnesses and isolated valleys, Toblakai arrive, day and night, to pledge themselves to Hood's impossible war. Soon, all will set forth - or not at all - under the banners of the living. Soon, weapons will be drawn, with Death itself the enemy. Beneath the chaos of such events, and spanning the realm and those countless other realms hidden behind its veil, magic now bleeds into the world. Unconstrained, mysterious and savage, the power that is the lifeblood of the Azathanai, K'rul, runs loose and wild. Following its scent, seeking the places of wounding where the sorcery rushes forth, entities both new and ancient are gathering. And they are eager to feed. Comprehending the terrible risk of his gift of blood, a weakened, dying K'rul sets out, in the company of a lone guardian, to bring order to this newborn sorcery - alas, his choice of potential allies is suspect. In the name of order, K'rul seeks its greatest avowed enemy."

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Oh man. I knew we'd see a lot more about the Light/Dark split, but that extra stuff re: Hood's war against Death? I thought for sure that that would be one of the stories left untold. Here's to hoping we get some more insight into the nature of the Azathanai as well.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Man, romance is handled so weirdly in Malazan. It's either completely in your face and literally the only thing the character talks about or just a passing reference.

You consistently have some of the oddest interpretations of these books I've seen.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

To make your wait more painful the blurb for the next book, Fall of Light just got posted on Amazon.

Holy god(s) I just came in my pants and out of my pants.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

:(

E: The blurb, That's Kruppe at the end, isn't it?

Bluedust fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 7, 2014

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
About the blurb. It's probably Tiam, or maybe Korabas. But probably Tiam, since we know he makes a deal with the dragons for the warrens and Tiam is a force of chaos.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Habibi posted:

You consistently have some of the oddest interpretations of these books I've seen.

Dammit, I want to hate Malazan but when I read more, I come out happier but still confused.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I consistently have a difficult time expressing why I'm enjoying this series, and there are several things I strongly dislike. And yet, I always want to read "just a few more pages" before turning in for the night.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Tooter posted:

I honestly barely remember my first Gardens of the Moon read other than the fact I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I was hooked from the second chapter, mostly because of this thread. I finished Crippled God about a month ago and still have no idea what was going on. Now I'm into Forge of Darkness and really have no clue what happened. This series is amazing

This is my favorite Malazan review of all time. It sums up my feelings on the books perfectly. Or at least it would if I had the slightest idea what was going on in any of these books.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

The thing is that a real clash of energy blasts like that usually means that somebody hosed up and got caught in the jaws of a bigger fish. Take Quick Ben as an example, the only times you see him doing the whole energy blast thing is when he either horribly outmatches them (and he knows it) or when all of his plans have failed and he's on the back foot. Most of his magic happens between those, when he's scrying for information, teleporting people around or casting illusions to misdirect. The final confrontation is energy blasts but that's only a tenth of the actual contest and by the point it happens everything has been decided.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So how does magic get from warren to mage?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

A wizard does it.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

amuayse posted:

Yes.

The answer is that it's not really explained in the main series (I haven't read the Forge Of Darkness stuff). The mages just "draw" upon the the power of the warrens be it from objects or themselves. It's also never explained how one actually comes to be able to use the warrens and become a mage. I just take it as one of those things in the series that just "is."

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Candles.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

amuayse posted:

The Warrens of Magic dwelt in the beyond. Find the gate and nudge it open a crack. What leaks out is yours to shape. Open yourself to the Warren that comes to you - that finds you. Draw forth its power - as much as your body and soul are capable of containing - but remember, when the body fails, the gate closes - Tattersail.

You can have natural affinity for Warrens or you can be taught, Beak was an autistic savant who learned loads of them.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 8, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

gently caress yes.
And Assail by Esslemont is also released this year. This will be a good year.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Happy Yeti posted:

About the blurb. It's probably Tiam, or maybe Korabas. But probably Tiam, since we know he makes a deal with the dragons for the warrens and Tiam is a force of chaos.

Tiam seems the logical choice, since the warrens she (K) creates/formalizes are each aspected to and anchored in a dragon. I don't recall the specifics of her imprisonment well enough to judge whether it would make sense, but in this scenario, it's possible that chaining Korabas up was what Tiam bargained for in return.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 8, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

Tiam seems the logical choice, [spoilersince the warrens she (K) creates/formalizes are each aspected to and anchored in a dragon. I don't recall the specifics of her imprisonment well enough to judge whether it would make sense, but in this scenario, it's possible that chaining Korabas up was what Tiam bargained for in return.[/spoiler]

Yeah, and also the Liosan, Edur and Andi will be seduced by Tiam and mix blood with her, since they get the power to turn into Soletaken/Eleint that way.
From the Malazan books, there is a lot of characters saying "Tiam, you bitch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, and also the Liosan, Edur and Andi will be seduced by Tiam and mix blood with her, since they get the power to turn into Soletaken/Eleint that way.
From the Malazan books, there is a lot of characters saying "Tiam, you bitch".

Yeah, but I feel like that could be / have been a thing even if Tiam doesn't/didn't turn out to be the one K'rul deals with.