Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always tell people that sure, I can do that as a service off-hours. And I tell them that I tend to charge half to 1/3rd of geek squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm nice to people, but I don't ever want to do personal work beyond a quick question or two. There's a guy I trust at a local shop; I refer people there, specifically to that guy.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ticket: the network drive all of our users have is full. I don't have access to it but am told its just a matter of deleting the zombie folders from users who have left. So I ask for a list of all the folders in the directory so I can compare it to our list of active users (each user automatically gets a folder when their account is created) from the guy who can see it. He sends it to me as a single gigantic .JPG file. :smithicide:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ursine Asylum posted:

The realistic response is that the people in this thread probably generally are sane and chill to even the most abrasive of their technology-impaired flock, because being a BOFH does not generally keep you employed. This is (one of) the IT venting thread(s), where you come in, sit down, take a shot, and scream into your monitor for as long as it takes to feel better.

Yes, this is mostly true. I have gone to great lengths to explain things to this doofus in the plainest, most easily digestible and accessible English possible, but he just doesn't have the background to get it, no matter how spoonfed he is. When you think a Java plugin problem is somehow related to your telephone circuit, we are never going to be able to communicate in a meaningful way.
There are times when you get people who are purposefully incompetent, terrible and/or lazy and you just need to tell them so.
Clearly, it's been a long time since I worked in a corporate environment.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Well, bit of an update on poopsock senior admin lady DBAN nuked DC: Ordered 31 new workstations for mission critical people, 60 iPads, and a new server, working on quote to burn the remaining 249 XP desktops and laptops within 30 days.

Only have found 13 pirated copies of Win 7 and have retrieved all the local passwords with ophcrack.

So far, only bad thing is boss man's son has remarked new server should be Zentyal.

Edit: I forgot, inventory and Visio Map completed, on and offsite backups active too. So much going on I couldn't recall what I'd shared.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Be a nice person even to the bad ones. Do a solid for that dude that asked you to fix a pc for his son or whatever (if its <30 minutes).

great idea and yes you should be nice to co workers but in no way should you do it for free. Three things are likely to happen
A) %random virus app%, P2P client uninstalled, or some poo poo; doesn't run or get's removed because it's being an issue. Kid/coworker complains "well you broke it so fix it" or if you come back with "What you're charging me this time?" It ends bad
B)You find something highly illegal on the system and need to turn it over to the police
C) you are tech support for life, and get fed the "Aww come on you did it for free last time this won't take but a minute!"

I usually will say a flat dollar amount or beer+pizza; unless it's a church I do those PC's for free.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ghana rheya posted:

on and offsite backups active too. So much going on I couldn't recall what I'd shared.

Everything else is good, but this right here is something that would have made the whole DBAN debacle a bump in the road instead of a mountain of trouble.

So good work on that, buddy.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah, if anyone had actually made sure she was doing the job they'd have found out long ago we basically wasted several thousand dollars over months of contracting a data center and never loading a bit. But that bastard is humming along now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I don't mind giving general advice ("oh yeah that sounds like malware, you should give ___ and ___ a shot to see if it gets rid of it" or "you want a laptop suggestion? I use ___, but if i was going to buy a laptop today i'd buy ___ or ___, or maybe a chrome book if I only needed the internet, good luck!") but gently caress ever doing work for someone I work with, even for money, especially if there's any chance that they would do something stupid to blow up their computer and try to blame me at work.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Theresa Frontpage posted:

I also had to do that to about 50 pins on a CPU I dropped on the floor once, but that's a different story.

A 0.5mm mechanical pencil with a metal nib has come in handy so often for this I can't even

Also \/\/\/ this. I charge way more than geek squad because you don't want to become geek squad to these people.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 4, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I always tell people that sure, I can do that as a service off-hours. And I tell them that I tend to charge half to 1/3rd of geek squad.

I have said similar except that I charge 2-3 times what geek squad does. And also this was not with someone I work with at my job as the answer to that is sorry don't have the time.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 4, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Belial42 posted:

The rumor floating around is that someone asked for EPO testing procedures shortly before the power was lost. Wonder if the cameras will pick anything up.

This happened in our old datacenter once; someone mistook the EPO button for the button that unlocks the door. Of course, this was over a weekend, so we all had to spend the entire weekend powering everything back on and fixing all the broken crap.

I guess the upside is that our inadvertent EPO test revealed that the button only cuts power to half the data center. :v:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Some days I look at the two big red buttons we have in our data center (main breaker and fire system discharge) and I get this sort of nervous paranoia that says "one of these would be the end of you, and the other will fill the room with oxygen destroying gas" and I suddenly don't really want to be in there anymore.

Why are we hard-wired to want to push big red buttons :sigh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

hihifellow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NITBfc1EOBo

When it comes to straightening CPU pins I use the edge of a credit card. I've saved a couple of mashed CPUs that way but I always felt I was on the verge of pins snapping off from the fatigue of being bent back into shape.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hihifellow posted:

the other will fill the room with oxygen destroying gas
Most gaseous fire suppressants aren't lethal, they just lower the oxygen concentration to a level that is still breathable but smothers a fire.

Fun fact: It's not lack of oxygen that makes you breathe harder, it's excess of carbon dioxide in your lungs. So Inergen contains 8% carbon dioxide (the rest is 50/50 argon and nitrogen). This inclusion of CO2 is designed to trick your body into taking deeper breaths in case you get trapped in an Inergen-flooded room.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

hihifellow posted:

Some days I look at the two big red buttons we have in our data center (main breaker and fire system discharge) and I get this sort of nervous paranoia that says "one of these would be the end of you, and the other will fill the room with oxygen destroying gas" and I suddenly don't really want to be in there anymore.

In my office we have this:

It's about as long as my arm and I want to pull it REALLY BAD

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It say's push to close. Push it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwSLeQ0HiOc

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Great Beer posted:

He sends it to me as a single gigantic .JPG file. :smithicide:
It could be worse.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

My last day of work at my old job, we had to shut everything down for some big power work that was happening in the building that weekend. So my last day of work was spent switching everything off and throwing the massive breakers in the power room.

Cathartic as gently caress.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A whiner came in...

My lead is trying to improve IT's image at the site. While most of us do our best, the day is only 8 hours long and the problems aren't all cables being unplugged by accident and there's going to be some balls that drop when we juggle all this poo poo. It's a great initiative.

However, people are complaining our lunches are too long and that we all eat together. This is nothing new either, one person even complained to the client's HR department a few years. We have an hour, we take that hour, we don't have the same rules everyone else. I guess people get jealous, especially since most departments can't do that because they are patient care and I guess IT is totally the same thing. Frankly, I'm getting annoyed that people outside our department are trying to micromanage us and set our policies. If it's in the SLA, nobody on either side enforces or mentions it. The on-call has their pager AND a house phone on them so that they can respond to "urgent" tickets (you wouldn't believe what gets to be a high priority ticket, or maybe you would). When we're in the lunch room we also often get lit the gently caress up from people wanting to get their poo poo done.

We've decided to convert a corner of our storeroom into a lunchroom/clubhouse. I don't know if it's actually going to happen but hopefully I can keep the momentum going, since it's my idea. I'm flitting between a classy, whisky-sipping, Diogenes club or a biker gang bar. Biomed engineering and facilities already know to stay the gently caress out of the lunchroom since they are never in there.

Speaking of the SLA, since we have an EMR system you can access remotely that puts us on the hook for a lot of free work. Scope creep gets to be a problem sometimes. If someone cries loud enough, we'll likely end up supporting it without any change to the contracts. Of course that consideration is well beyond my paygrade, but we're a business --not your nephew who's really smart with the computer box.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MG42 posted:

An "internet stopped working".
Turned out the finance department forgot to pay for the fortigate license and as a result the webfilter blocks every single webpage.
:sigh:

We got tired of people asking if there were any problems with the internet, so...:
(It reads internet is broken)

I thought that it was actually a childish misspelling of "Internet is stuck", which also works quite well here.

Internet is brok.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Volmarias posted:

I thought that it was actually a childish misspelling of "Internet is stuck", which also works quite well here.

Internet is brok.

Especially considering it looks like it's in crayon

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

KoRMaK posted:

Be a nice person even to the bad ones. Do a solid for that dude that asked you to fix a pc for his son or whatever (if its <30 minutes).

gently caress that. Being nice isn't the same thing as being a sucker.

You do free work/favors for two classes of people: 1) Your parents who are letting you freeload or are paying for your education, and 2) Your absolute best friends (yours, not friends of the family), and then only if you are already past the point of keeping score.

Everyone else gets charged. Everyone. You aren't an rear end in a top hat for doing it, you are forcing people to put tangible value on your time.

Volmarias posted:

Internet is brok.

I like to think that the note is in misspelled English and it was the only thing that a user could think of to do to get IT involved. Just a post-it on the door.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 4, 2014

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
It's in Dutch :V

spankmeister posted:

What does it say on the window?

"Dt wknd stappe ga j ng mee?"

Every room here has texting language like that on the glass.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

quote:

When calling i have the 3 green dots with voice quality while the phone is still ringing, usually when ringing i should have one red dot only and no voice quality when the call is established then i have the 3 green dots with voice quality.

Our new QA guy talks and writes like an overexcited puppy. One day I'll make him read Q.A. Confidential

fake edit: WHAT IF I'M GAY

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Knormal posted:

It could be worse.

Can someone please give me a call about this error message I'm getting??!! It's driving me crazy and IT'S AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!!! I've attached a screen-print of it

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The boss decided to update the firewall this morning. I'm posting this from my phone because now it is dead and he's driving to our NOC 45min away to reboot it since no one there seems to be doing their jobs.

Oops.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MG42 posted:

It's in Dutch :V

"Dt wknd stappe ga j ng mee?"

Every room here has texting language like that on the glass.

nee tog :ughh:

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Sirotan posted:

The boss decided to update the firewall this morning. I'm posting this from my phone because now it is dead and he's driving to our NOC 45min away to reboot it since no one there seems to be doing their jobs.

Oops.

Who chooses updates a firewall in the morning, welp. Are there not service windows for stuff like that?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Who chooses updates a firewall in the morning, welp. Are there not service windows for stuff like that?

After we just recently installed more memory in the thing, we were 5 versions behind and each version had to be installed in succession to get to the most current firmware. He had already installed the first 4 over a couple days without any problems so I guess he just got a bit too hopeful...

It's now an hour later and it's still down. I've not heard from him but at this point I'm assuming a simple reboot wasn't enough to fix it. Welp.

Edit: Yay it't back :unsmith:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 4, 2014

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

C) you are tech support for life, and get fed the "Aww come on you did it for free last time this won't take but a minute!"

I've recently had the opposite "problem", one of my best clients insists on paying for literally remoting to her PC and uninstalling an app.

It would take longer to write the check than it took me to do the job. She already pays me several hundred a year to do menial setups and such. When I finally gave her a bill at her insistence, she sent me nearly double.

These are best problems to have, but it feels like I'm taking advantage.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish I had the problem of people giving me more money than I asked for.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dragyn posted:

I've recently had the opposite "problem", one of my best clients insists on paying for literally remoting to her PC and uninstalling an app.

It would take longer to write the check than it took me to do the job. She already pays me several hundred a year to do menial setups and such. When I finally gave her a bill at her insistence, she sent me nearly double.

These are best problems to have, but it feels like I'm taking advantage.

If she sent you double what you billed, she clearly thinks you are worth more than your are charging and feels SHE is taking advantage of YOU without paying you the extra.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I recently sent someone close to double what they billed me because what they were asking for was stupidly low. Don't undervalue your time because then you encourage everyone else to do the same.

Back on topic:
Had an email this morning to reschedule a meeting that I didn't have. After a few confused emails it turns out the person wasn't sure who the meeting was with so just sent out some reschedule requests to find out.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

MF_James posted:

If she sent you double what you billed, she clearly thinks you are worth more than your are charging and feels SHE is taking advantage of YOU without paying you the extra.

I agree.. and I have no idea why. She's my only client who insists on big fat tips. :iia:

New-ShitPost
Jul 25, 2011

When I'm bored I always like to read our company's (terrible) outage reports.

WAN Link Usage posted:

Update: Sprint team reported there is a high utilization of bandwidth. In the next management bridge Sprint team will be available and they will share their recommendation towards resolution of the issue.
Update: It was discussed, if the WAN link is saturated, Sprint recommends either to go for Link upgradation or avoid transferring large files during business hours.

Thanks for the insight!

Slow Apps posted:

(6 hours into outage)
Update: Team Looked at ESX servers and sees red and yellow errors on host and guest.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"Recommend introduction of new orange class to allow errors to be combined and reduce overall number."

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
User is having issues loading a file within SAP from within a virtual machine.

Ticket reaches us (since we handle VMs now, woo!), and we test everything. IE works fine and we're not able to find any problems elsewhere. So we sent the ticket to SAP support.

SAP support routes ticket back, stating "client has 12gb free on virtual machine, client should only have 3-4gb free. Please reduce free space on VM"

I umm... er... what? :confused:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Migishu posted:

User is having issues loading a file within SAP from within a virtual machine.

Ticket reaches us (since we handle VMs now, woo!), and we test everything. IE works fine and we're not able to find any problems elsewhere. So we sent the ticket to SAP support.

SAP support routes ticket back, stating "client has 12gb free on virtual machine, client should only have 3-4gb free. Please reduce free space on VM"

I umm... er... what? :confused:

Clearly they're using a 32-bit int to pick up the free space and it's getting confuzzled. Clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in!

quote:

trying to access majic reports and recieving Error

No screenshots, no error message, not even the names of the reports they're trying to access.

• Locked thread