Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Knormal posted:

It happened, I found the user with the worst mouse ever.

http://ergo.contour-design.com/ergonomic-mouse/rollermouse-pro2

There were a few of these at the last place I worked and they're as awful as you think. Also they get incredibly grubby and are impossible to clean thoroughly.

Years ago I was cleaning out an I.T. crap drawer left by my idiot predecessors and found this. I thought they were flight sim pedals until I read the label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

How do those even work?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Collateral Damage posted:

You're either trolling or you've never worked outside the IT/web industry.

I work for one of the world's largest international banks, and with a handful of exceptions it's Windows Server of various flavours for everything back-end and Windows 7 on the desktops.

Even the drat ATMs run Windows. Not even 7, XP.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

How do those even work?

I assume you either tilt or drag your left foot around to move the cursor, and stomp your right foot to click? Seems like one of those "sounds like a good idea in the abstract for about 1 second before you actually think about it at all" ergonomic things, like the sidewaysmouse or those weird transforming chairs.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

GreenNight posted:

Oh right ESX. Have any of you use Jabber? We're trying to decide between Jabber and Lync. We get both with our licensing.

If you use the office suite go for lync

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

You're either trolling or you've never worked outside the IT/web industry.

I work for one of the world's largest international banks, and with a handful of exceptions it's Windows Server of various flavours for everything back-end and Windows 7 on the desktops.

Are you serious?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Servers

I mean, this isn't a hard thing to go look up.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ratbert90 posted:

Are you serious?

That just measures servers that are accessible to the web though - are those are a lot more likely to be non-windows.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ratbert90 posted:

Are you serious?

Those are web servers and other servers you can find by doing a sweep of the public internet.

This ignores all the internal file servers, LDAP, applications, database....

Also, even that says 25 to 30% of servers use Windows server. I highly doubt every single one of them is an amateur, particularly since an amateur might want to learn linux and doesn't have to buy and maintain a license for it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Those are web servers and other servers you can find by doing a sweep of the public internet.

This ignores all the internal file servers, LDAP, applications, database....

Also, even that says 25 to 30% of servers use Windows server. I highly doubt every single one of them is an amateur, particularly since an amateur might want to learn linux and doesn't have to buy and maintain a license for it.

I know. I am saying that it isn't "Every corporation on earth runs Windows because I work at a bank and they run Windows."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Except you're not really saying anything just being argumentative

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

My previous job was working for a company that among other things, made a head tracking mouse alternative. When you're a quad it makes perfect sense. When you're just using it for ergo reasons, you're actively searching for ways to make a 5 minute task take one hour to complete.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Megaman posted:

That's THE funniest joke I've heard in a LONG time. I've never heard of a single company that runs windows in any serious environment. Do you work for Tardco or IdiotiCorp?

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard in a long time.

Although it's sad at the same time because I have cleaned up after people with this mentality in environments.
"Windows AD? LOL that costs money and isn't secure or free! SAMBA is the way to go!"
"Exchange? Sendmail is where it's at! No stupid cals or costly money for!"

Then people wonder why poo poo runs like it's from the 90's

GreenNight posted:

Oh right ESX. Have any of you use Jabber? We're trying to decide between Jabber and Lync. We get both with our licensing.

Do you want do deal with java mess? if so Jabber's you're option; even cisco's unified communications jabber is a nightmare "We need A/V and Firewalls disabled on this box, or it won't work!" Lync is actually a decent product that works well even in the O365 versions.

However if you're a small office and looking for a lite free solution there is openfire(jabber on the back end) http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 2, 2014

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Although it's sad at the same time because I have cleaned up after people with this mentality in environments.
"Windows AD? LOL that costs money and isn't secure or free! SAMBA is the way to go!"

Currently in an environment that is the result of about 5 years of this mentality, but quickly learned that the mentality was the result of "wait, that costs money? but what we use right now is free, just make it work like the thing that costs money. and make it faster" from the people who control the money.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do you want do deal with java mess? if so Jabber's you're option; even cisco's unified communications jabber is a nightmare "We need A/V and Firewalls disabled on this box, or it won't work!" Lync is actually a decent product that works well even in the O365 versions.

However if you're a small office and looking for a lite free solution there is openfire(jabber on the back end) http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/

Jabber users Java? Ok I made my decision on what my recommendation is. Thanks for the info.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

There's room. Exchange sucks, admittedly. Naive sendmail also sucks. Good sendmail rocks. Postfix is great for small/medium shops. Samba isn't an AD competitor, and just use AD, but don't write off jabber/xmpp. Large Jabber works, Google Talk among others

Linux and windows are equally viable for servers. Business apps are often on windows. Everything else on *nix. People are too all or nothing

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Jabber users Java? Ok I made my decision on what my recommendation is. Thanks for the info.

No. Openfire is one of many implementations of the XMPP (Jabber) protocol. Openfire uses Java but there are others that don't.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Are you serious?

For major companies, public servers are often outsourced.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Are you serious?

BSD is dying. Netcraft confirms it.

GreenNight posted:

There's an erlang jabber server, ejabberd, but OpenFire is glorious Java.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Openfire is pretty easy to administer and long-term stable as long as you make sure its java VM has enough memory. I've only ever run it with at most 100 simultaneous users though, so, my experience may or may not be typical.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
My old openfire server was constantly freezing up to the point where it required a hard reboot, so when one of our old HP G5's (former ESXi host in our DR site) was put out for recycling, I snatched it up. It now has 16 cores and 28GB of memory to work with and hasn't had an issue since :v: I'm sure the whole 10 people in the IT department who use it appreciate its stability.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

For major companies, public servers are often outsourced.

Please stop. Windows v. Linux (and to a lesser degree these days, UNIX) is pretty indisputable. Red Hat has made it into F500 purely off subscriptions for Linux. Large shops run Linux. Every single F500 company runs Linux servers. Every one. They also run Windows. Each has their place.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Please stop. Windows v. Linux (and to a lesser degree these days, UNIX) is pretty indisputable. Red Hat has made it into F500 purely off subscriptions for Linux. Large shops run Linux. Every single F500 company runs Linux servers. Every one. They also run Windows. Each has their place.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. :unsmith: Operating systems to me are just a tool, not a religion.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evol262 posted:

There's room. Exchange sucks, admittedly.

Why do people keep saying this? Sure, 2000 and 2003 were probably pretty lovely, but Exchange nowadays is pretty goddamn easy to set up (properly, even), very forgiving in terms of database management, recovering from problems (like "the log drive filled up because Backup Exec blows" or "some dumbass disconnected the DB drives"), and really is pretty simple to administer, although the 2007 Powershell debacle was retarded.

I'm not saying by any means it's the best email server there ever was, but I've had no issues with it and we have a bunch of clients running all different versions with no problems. It's probably one of the things I spend the least amount of time troubleshooting/fixing. Also, there are a LOT of things that Exchange/AD just get right that take a lot of effort to set up with the free stuff. Case in point, one of our biggest clients, a cloud startup that is fervently anti-Microsoft, recently set up a website just to be an employee directory because the Google Apps built-in directory wasn't good enough for them, primarily because no one entered in their info (and as far as I know admins can't do it since it's a per user thing). That's a problem we wouldn't even have in an Exchange environment where it automagically pulls everything from AD and that info gets entered during user creation.

evol262 posted:

Linux and windows are equally viable for servers. Business apps are often on windows. Everything else on *nix. People are too all or nothing

This I completely agree with. Web servers especially, but anything else where the software is primarily open-source or built on Linux. Even if there's a Windows port of it, why? Use the software on the system it was designed and built with. Nagios, Openfire, Cacti, MediaWiki, just to name a few, are all very nice pieces of free software and if they fit your needs, there's no reason to insist on trying to find a Windows version. You put it on Gentoo though (a previous coworker loved him some loving Gentoo) and we're going to have words.

Edit: hopefully we can turn this into another useless distro flamewar

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Potato Alley posted:

You put it on Gentoo though (a previous coworker loved him some loving Gentoo) and we're going to have words.

Edit: hopefully we can turn this into another useless distro flamewar

Gotta get your .5% performance increase after spending 3 hours compiling OpenOffice. :smug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wasn't trying to argue the merits of operating systems, sorry if it came off like that. :shobon:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Potato Alley posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Sure, 2000 and 2003 were probably pretty lovely, but Exchange nowadays is pretty goddamn easy to set up (properly, even), very forgiving in terms of database management, recovering from problems (like "the log drive filled up because Backup Exec blows" or "some dumbass disconnected the DB drives"), and really is pretty simple to administer, although the 2007 Powershell debacle was retarded.

I'm not saying by any means it's the best email server there ever was, but I've had no issues with it and we have a bunch of clients running all different versions with no problems. It's probably one of the things I spend the least amount of time troubleshooting/fixing. Also, there are a LOT of things that Exchange/AD just get right that take a lot of effort to set up with the free stuff. Case in point, one of our biggest clients, a cloud startup that is fervently anti-Microsoft, recently set up a website just to be an employee directory because the Google Apps built-in directory wasn't good enough for them, primarily because no one entered in their info (and as far as I know admins can't do it since it's a per user thing). That's a problem we wouldn't even have in an Exchange environment where it automagically pulls everything from AD and that info gets entered during user creation.

Admittedly, I haven't touched an exchange console since 2005, so my opinion on it is dated. But your outlook autocomplete and sendmail aren't orthogonal (actually autocompleting people you talk to often rather than pulling from LDAP is, but Thunderbird and Outlook both handle that fine without exchange backing it, just that it doesn't live on the server, and LDAP completion works). I'd be amazed if Google didn't have a tool to programmatically create info. Exchange's calendaring is unrivalled, but backups, corrupt databases, hideously long rebuilds, weird MAPI issues across versions of office, powershell debacle, etc.

It works. It's great for end users. But it takes a lot more hand holding than sendmail.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Potato Alley posted:

UNIX guy here. This is one of those things that "everybody knows" that just isn't so.

For instance "Everybody knows that Sun gear and Cisco gear can't do Auto negotiate."
or
"Everyone knows mommy birds will abandon their babies if you touch them."

MS does email (via exchange), print/file and auth pretty well these days. I'd not hesitate to deploy MS for any of these things.

Honestly, I feel the same way about MS doing those things as I feel about HP as a server vendor. They might suck, but everyone else sucks worse. What are you going to use for LDAP, iPlanet? (or whatever sun/oracle call it now?)

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

a ticket came in: what has been working fine since the company started is suddenly unacceptable

Anyone have any suggestions for video conferencing that isn't google hangouts or Skype? My company has decided these are no good apparently and wants something else.

No one ever got fired for buying IBM Cisco.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

GreenNight posted:

...we bought Trillian for Business.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

a ticket came in: what has been working fine since the company started is suddenly unacceptable

Anyone have any suggestions for video conferencing that isn't google hangouts or Skype? My company has decided these are no good apparently and wants something else.

Do you know why this is no longer so? That might help to make a better decision.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Exchange 2010 is actually great, it's a lot easier to administrate than 2003 was - when it invariably breaks it's usually fairly quick to figure out why.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

Honestly, I feel the same way about MS doing those things as I feel about HP as a server vendor. They might suck, but everyone else sucks worse. What are you going to use for LDAP, iPlanet? (or whatever sun/oracle call it now?)

eDirectory, obviously.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I like to use the right tool for the job, rather than making decisions on some fanatical devotion to a particular OS v:shobon:v

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

I like to use the right tool for the job, rather than making decisions on some fanatical devotion to a particular OS v:shobon:v
:eyepop:

What a heretical opinion!!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

anthonypants posted:

:eyepop:

What a heretical opinion!!

The irony is that we run Solaris for things that have no reason being run on Solaris (read: everything but file servers), but at least that's changing.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
Chiming into the Microsoft vs Linux vs Cisco vs IBM vs Nanna Joe vs Open Sores vs Stallman vs Wozniak chat, I really think that a lot more popular tools, that may or may not have had a start in the UNIX environment that still heavily rely on the CLI for most actions, should really look to Microsoft and how they do things with Exchange 2007 and onwards.

It's all Powershell, which isn't the request, but when you do something in the GUI, if its change a mailbox's properties or change a send connector, it'll execute the command, then show you the Powershell command it ran to do it.
This has been a godsend to myself who is trying to get to grips with Exchange, amongst others, very quickly. So when we need to write a custom script, or just schedule an action, I've already got the code that I can just bundle into a .ps1 and just run from there. It's also nice to see what the EMC is actually doing when you ask it to do something, but ultimately it means that if you're more of a CLI player, you don't have to spend as long reading through every possible manual page, when you can just do the few repeatables in the GUI, write it down and then execute them.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
An "internet stopped working".
Turned out the finance department forgot to pay for the fortigate license and as a result the webfilter blocks every single webpage.
:sigh:

We got tired of people asking if there were any problems with the internet, so...:
(It reads internet is broken)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I need more pics of the little banner on your office window, STAT. that looks pretty neato.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nitrogen posted:

I need more pics of the little banner on your office window, STAT. that looks pretty neato.

I second that motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Here's the whole collection, go nuts.

• Locked thread