Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No Safe Word posted:

It's damning but it's also just wrong. We're better off than most of the teams in the 20's at the very least.

I think he meant damning of the list, as in saying that it's not a good list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Elam was barely mediocre last year but to be fair he was playing out of position.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
So who do fellow Packer fans think they should take at safety at this time? Would Ha Ha Clinton-Dix be around or would we be better off taking some later round talent?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Silva is fairly spot on with the Panthers' needs, though I would rank WR above OL since it's been such a hilariously glaring need for like three or four years now. (I also wouldn't bother putting DE on that list for the reasons he himself provided, so not sure why it was included at all.)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Giants have so many needs that they might be entering a transition period over the next few years. Too many holes all over the o-line and secondary. If Eli regresses more then they're in massive trouble.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

He got the Bears list right. They need to get young and good on defense really loving quickly.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I knew San Diego's corners were bad but I didn't know they were that bad. Jesus christ.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Lessail posted:

So who do fellow Packer fans think they should take at safety at this time? Would Ha Ha Clinton-Dix be around or would we be better off taking some later round talent?

Jimmie Ward was a standout at the Senior Bowl. Packers will probably be linked to Ladler from Vanderbilt as well.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Again, Church is only good at tackling and even then he takes bad angles too often for comfort. Yes, both he and Wilcox are relatively young (Church will be 26 this month so it's about time to pan out) but neither are proven. That should not stop you from taking a safety in either the first or second.

Obviously the Boys need help with rushing the passer but there's a decent depth of guys who can do that this year. If they don't grab a safety within the first two rounds then they're pass D will be destroyed again next season. They've already loving passed on Vacarro, Reid, Cyrpien and Smith over the last couple of years while safety has been a dire need for them.

Why continue this path?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Sataere posted:

He got the Bears list right. They need to get young and good on defense really loving quickly.

I think safety and corner are more dire needs than anywhere in the LB Corps but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting depth there too.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

Why continue this path?

Three reasons:

1. Wilcox's struggles were expected; he was injured, a rookie, and did not have much experience at the position. He wasn't so bad that they need to give up on him entirely.
2. The schematic differences between Kiffin and Marinelli bode well for the improvement of the secondary.
3. DE/DT/OLB depth is so bad that they're more likely to improve the defense as a whole by investing in those positions. None of their tackles are proven. Ware has proven to be old and Selvie is a backup at best. Carter has proven to be unreliable. Lee has proven to be injury prone. Their other OLBs are unproven. Wilcox showed more than Tyrone Crawford, Ben Bass, Kyle Wilber, and Devonte Holloman last season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Boy, it is starting to look like the Cowboys are in for a rough ride the next few years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bewbies posted:

Boy, it is starting to look like the Cowboys are in for a rough ride the next few years.

Nothing can phase America's (most average) Team.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bewbies posted:

At least they have their kicker

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Azhais posted:

At least they have their kicker

I hear good things about their center too

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Guys, the Cowboys have been projected a safety in the 1st and 2nd round by TFF for years now while hilariously ignoring the need. Pretty safe to say they won't draft one.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

bewbies posted:

Seriously. Romo has propped up that team for so long but even if he plays until he's 40 like a lot of QBs do he's going to hit his decline phase sooner rather than later. Besides that they have Dez, Tyron Smith, and what else? Ware is old and breaking down, Lee has missed a ton of time over the last couple seasons, Witten can't have too much longer left. It seems pretty dire unless they start hitting on a lot of draft picks, and quickly.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

Seriously. Romo has propped up that team for so long but even if he plays until he's 40 like a lot of QBs do he's going to hit his decline phase sooner rather than later. Besides that they have Dez, Tyron Smith, and what else? Ware is old and breaking down, Lee has missed a ton of time over the last couple seasons, Witten can't have too much longer left. It seems pretty dire unless they start hitting on a lot of draft picks, and quickly.

That was the point I wanted to make. The offense is good enough for the short term, but the defense is in terrible shape. Yet they have one safety who can hold the fort in the near term and a prospect they just drafted in the 3rd last year. With their first two picks they're more likely to find guys who can contribute right away in the front 7.

Without looking it up I can tell you that Dallas has drafted at least 4 safeties since 2009, and have added a few free agents too. They just miss on the position frequently, primarily because they love small school project safeties. That doesn't mean they should double down on the position this draft, especially when there's a surplus of defensive line prospects (which happens to be the biggest hole on the Dallas defense).

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

DupaDupa posted:

I think safety and corner are more dire needs than anywhere in the LB Corps but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting depth there too.

Yeah, I mean, the linebacker play was really bad this year, but their safeties were both literally in the bottom 5 in the league. If Emery could rebuild the d-line and find two new safeties, I think he could sit on his hands at every other position and have a way better defense. They'd still have some holes, but I don't know that he's going to be able to fix everything on D in one offseason.

My wish list would probably be Michael Bennett or Lamar Houston, an above-average safety like Chris Clemons, re-signing Henry Melton and Corey Wootton on the cheap, and then drafting a big d-tackle like Nix or Hageman and another safety (Jimmie Ward? Calvin Pryor?) in rounds 1-2. They ought to be able to do all that with the cap space they'll get from cutting Peppers and Bush. I wish there were a way to make a run at Greg Hardy or Jairus Byrd, but there's no way they can afford either one with everything else they need.

If they could find a way to re-sign Tillman for a year too, that would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. I think he plays a year or two in Tampa, then signs a one-day contract and retires a Bear.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I'm going to be so mad when the Seahawks resign Bennett.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

Don't forget that Romo will be coming off a serious back surgery to repair a herniated disk, which is his 2nd back surgery in two years! :shepicide:

Disillusionist posted:

That was the point I wanted to make. The offense is good enough for the short term, but the defense is in terrible shape. Yet they have one safety who can hold the fort in the near term and a prospect they just drafted in the 3rd last year. With their first two picks they're more likely to find guys who can contribute right away in the front 7.

What they need to do is draft front 7 early. What they're likely to do is draft another loving RB and TE

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Toymachine posted:

Guys, the Cowboys have been projected a safety in the 1st and 2nd round by TFF for years now while hilariously ignoring the need. Pretty safe to say they won't draft one.

A safety to the Cowboys is the equivalent of a LB to the Giants.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

You guys can't be serious in saying that the Boys' shouldn't take a safety, until what, the 3rd-4th round?

They can add depth to the front 7 with either the 1st or 2nd, and picks 3-7. These small school projects at safety are just as much responsible for their horrendous pass defense as a lack of pass rush. There's no reason to not try for a safety within the first two rounds. They don't need depth there - they need immediate help at that position.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The Cowboys kept Monte Kiffin. They deserve no benefit of doubt. We should automatically assume the worst until proven otherwise. They will take a safety in the 5th round.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

You guys can't be serious in saying that the Boys' shouldn't take a safety, until what, the 3rd-4th round?

They can add depth to the front 7 with either the 1st or 2nd, and picks 3-7. These small school projects at safety are just as much responsible for their horrendous pass defense as a lack of pass rush. There's no reason to not try for a safety within the first two rounds. They don't need depth there - they need immediate help at that position.

I don't think they HAVE to take a safety at all. Getting caught up in one position seems silly (unless it's a quarterback), especially since the entire defense lacks talent. They only have two picks in the first two rounds, which is where you find most starters. With needs at all d-line positions, OLB, depth at MLB and CB in addition to safety you can't just pound the table for one position.

If Dallas went safety and DT with their first two picks I could just as easily complain about DE and linebacker not being addressed until the middle rounds.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Safety seems like a position that isn't particularly valued in the NFL unless you get one of the very top guys, so a mid round pick seems about right unless they really fall in love with Dix or whoever. Then you go after a free agent of some sort and end up with a guy who some other group of fans was complaining about last year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

A safety to the Cowboys is the equivalent of a LB to the Giants.

Guys I'm telling you Jerry Jones is TOTALLY going to draft this kid out of Arkansas

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Disillusionist posted:

I don't think they HAVE to take a safety at all. Getting caught up in one position seems silly (unless it's a quarterback), especially since the entire defense lacks talent. They only have two picks in the first two rounds, which is where you find most starters. With needs at all d-line positions, OLB, depth at MLB and CB in addition to safety you can't just pound the table for one position.

If Dallas went safety and DT with their first two picks I could just as easily complain about DE and linebacker not being addressed until the middle rounds.

Well I'm tired of talking about it so I guess we'll see what we can blame after going 8-8 again next season.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

John Brown posted:

They shouldn't take a safety unless Dix happens to fall to them. We have more pressing matters such as our defensive line which will be losing its best player to free agency this year. Even if we do take a safety our secondary will continue to look terrible because our defensive line will not be able to generate any pressure at all what so ever outside of Ware.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

There's much better depth in this draft at DL and OLB than at S. To grab a safety early they would probably have to reach for a guy when they can in all likelihood get much better value with the pick by addressing holes in the front 7, improving pass rush and as a byproduct making the secondary better, et cetera, et cetera.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I hope teams look at the offseason as a whole unit and say "We need to come out of this offseason with two starting-caliber safeties. Right now we have zero." But then hopefully they don't care whether they get the safeties through the draft or in free agency.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Here's a preview of how active Dallas is expected to be in free agency

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

DupaDupa posted:

I'd love to get Bennett, but I would not be mad about Lamarr Houston at all. Granted, the Raiders are about to have a ton of cap space ($59 million, holy poo poo,) so they might be able to re-sign him. If Chicago could pry him away, though, he'd be an ideal LE and nickel-package DT, just like Bennett.

I have to think Emery can rebuild their d-line this offseason, through some combination of the draft and free agency. I mean, when they needed receivers in 2012, he traded for Marshall and drafted Jeffery. When they needed o-line in 2013, he signed Bushrod and Slauson, then drafted Long and Mills. When they needed linebackers that same year, he signed DJ Williams and Anderson, then drafted Bostic and Greene (whoops.) He clearly likes to identify a problem and then double (or quadruple) up on it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the same thing with the d-line this year, after it was a dumpster fire all season.

cujojp
Oct 31, 2011

NEVER FORGET

Rasczak posted:

Tony loving Romo
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Cowboys&Year=2013

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

TheChirurgeon posted:

Guys I'm telling you Jerry Jones is TOTALLY going to draft this kid out of Arkansas

He's gonna sign McFadden to a 10 year 100 million dollar deal on March 11 to take care of that need.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

His contract is pretty good for a top QB?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

You're mad about THAT? Scroll down to "dead money"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rasczak posted:

Didn't realize how much room the Giants have to operate. Cutting Snee, Bass, Myers, and Webster could make them serious players.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I loving hate Jeromy Clary so loving much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

DupaDupa posted:

I'm still made they signed him in the first place. It's all Schiano's fault. He would've stayed with the Bucs otherwise.

• Locked thread