Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

The_Doctor posted:

Someone edited together the best bits of the Bay films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtu62Gklgso

What I am getting from this is that every time Starscream transforms, he does something awesome.

revtoiletduck fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This is pretty random but I wanna say that I love this lil' fella, flaws and all:

rawwwr

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah! I really like his one really big hosed up William Birkin monster hand

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The freakin' geek beats kommissar popoff to the first AOE toy review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJdBXBhmuU

I'll admit the size of Shampootimus Prime impresses me on vehicle mode.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's shellformer-y and pretty hollow, but still not as simple as I thought it would be. At least the huge backpack seems pretty light.

VVV In my mind, he was going to be a Big-Convoy-style "peel open truck to get robot" thing. VVV

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 4, 2014

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The MSJ posted:

It's shellformer-y and pretty hollow, but still not as simple as I thought it would be. At least the huge backpack seems pretty light.

It's only 15 easy steps!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ka0 posted:

The freakin' geek beats kommissar popoff to the first AOE toy review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJdBXBhmuU

I have no hope for the new line of toys, that sucks.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Wonder what're the chances they'll pull a Prime and the non First Edition figure will be a completely different mold.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Man, that is Big Convoy level shellforming. Almost none of the truck mode forms any part of the robot mode.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Wonder what're the chances they'll pull a Prime and the non First Edition figure will be a completely different mold.

The non-First Edition Prime is a different mold, but is equally awful judging by the pictures.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
I sure am glad I stopped collecting the movie toys after ROTF. The shift in quality from the second to the fourth movie is pretty staggering. I feel like you couldn't even put the two lines on a shelf next to each other at this point. I still find it kinda funny that the PG-13 movie series featuring a homicidal Optimus Prime gets the simplified kid-friendly toy line while the Saturday morning cartoon featuring Optimus Prime playing basketball with a kid in a wheelchair gets the relatively complex, collector-oriented line. But I'm certainly not complaining about the former existing if it's what's allowing the latter to.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ka0 posted:

While I'm personally not planning on buying it, I ultimately don't have a problem with this direction for "mainstream" Transformers toys. Hasbro flat-out addressed it in some statement that got posted on TFW recently: the movie line and other "main" lines are going to have simplified transformations so kids can have fun going pew pew with their transforming robots without having to recruit mom and dad to spend half an hour transforming each robot, and the "Generations" line is going to continue with more collector-oriented stuff.

I'm totally okay with this. They straight-up said that they're not dumbing down everything and that Generations isn't going anywhere, and if simplified movie bots means more sales/happier kids which means more kickass Generations stuff as basically "vanity" projects, I am all for it. It might even mean we'll get more complex versions of movie bots in the Generations line, since that's seeming to be the catch-all collector's line at this point.

As for AOE FE Optimus himself, I think he's alright for what he is. I won't be getting him, but he's more involved than I expected and he's pretty drat huge and the chrome looks great. If I were a kid and my parents bought that for me, I'd be pretty stoked. And unlike ROTF Leader Optimus, I'd be able to transform him without resorting to youtube videos or asking for help from mom and dad.
Don't get me wrong, I like ROTF Leader Optimus a lot and he's a marvel of engineering, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking he was in any way "kid friendly" in a line of children's toys. His transformation was ridiculous for *anyone*, no child was transforming him on their own unless they were some kind of autistic savant.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 4, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

While I do think ROTF Prime was pretty ridiculous for a toy, which is why it was awesome, it seems like they went full-bore on dumbing it down. I think they did this to save costs more than anything to be honest, that plastic looks cheap as gently caress.

Can't agree with the chrome though, chrome pretty tacky, chrome and plastic just looks awful.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

the movie line and other "main" lines are going to have simplified transformations so kids can have fun going pew pew with their transforming robots without having to recruit mom and dad to spend half an hour transforming each robot

Yeah, I still don't buy this. Kids are smart, and unless parents were erroneously buying stuff like RotF Prime for five year olds, I am 100% certain that the target demo was entirely able to transform that toy. Probably better than we can, since a limited toy budget means you spend more time with each toy, unlike collectors who buy larger numbers and use them for display. A kid that has his or her hands on RotF Prime for hours a day would be able to master the transformation, just like we used to master the old TFs or 8- and 16-bit games back in the day.

I agree with Sire Oblivion that this is a cost-saving measure more than anything. The "keeping it simple for the kids" is just a nice way to spin the fact that the cost of plastic is directly impacting even the top selling toy brands at this point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

Yeah, I still don't buy this. Kids are smart, and unless parents were erroneously buying stuff like RotF Prime for five year olds, I am 100% certain that the target demo was entirely able to transform that toy. Probably better than we can, since a limited toy budget means you spend more time with each toy, unlike collectors who buy larger numbers and use them for display. A kid that has his or her hands on RotF Prime for hours a day would be able to master the transformation, just like we used to master the old TFs or 8- and 16-bit games back in the day.
Definitely going to disagree with that. Even knowing what I'm doing with ROTF Prime (which took a long-rear end time to learn), he's still a big time investment to transform. For a kid, that kind of disrupts the flow of play. "Optimus shoots at Starscream and then turns into a truck and drives away!" *literally 20 real-world minutes later* "Okay Optimus is a truck now".

A lot of the fun of the G1 bots was that their transformations were quick enough that it didn't disrupt the flow of imaginary action when I was a kid. That's one of the reasons I like some of the simpler bots we've gotten in recent years - Classics Bumblebee is pretty quick to transform, he's my #1 favorite Transformers toy of all time. Hubcap is #2, and I can transform him in like 10 seconds and I love it. I'm really digging the new Legends 2-packs with targetmasters for the same reason.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Definitely going to disagree with that. Even knowing what I'm doing with ROTF Prime (which took a long-rear end time to learn), he's still a big time investment to transform. For a kid, that kind of disrupts the flow of play. "Optimus shoots at Starscream and then turns into a truck and drives away!" *literally 20 real-world minutes later* "Okay Optimus is a truck now".

A lot of the fun of the G1 bots was that their transformations were quick enough that it didn't disrupt the flow of imaginary action when I was a kid. That's one of the reasons I like some of the simpler bots we've gotten in recent years - Classics Bumblebee is pretty quick to transform, he's my #1 favorite Transformers toy of all time. Hubcap is #2, and I can transform him in like 10 seconds and I love it. I'm really digging the new Legends 2-packs with targetmasters for the same reason.

Just wanted to iterate my support for what you've said. 37 year old grown man child here and I've found a number of the newer toys to just take to long to transform. My kids, which I had hoped would carry my same love for this brand have really gravitated toward the easier ones. Their imaginations do a lot of the work when their isn't an elbow joint.

For collectors (and bigger kids), I am thrilled Generations isn't going away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got my Masterpiece Smokescreen yesterday, and you guys weren't kidding about that one chest bit being hard to snap in. I missed doing it as I was going and couldn't figure out why the chest wouldn't quite stay down, then I realized I had to shove that in. I dunno if he'll ever be a car again.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
When you're a kid having mock battles, the last thing you want to do is spend 30 minutes transforming a dude. Hell, I would spend 2 minutes transforming a guy and I'd think "that's a lot longer than it takes in the show."

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Gammatron 64 posted:

When you're a kid having mock battles, the last thing you want to do is spend 30 minutes transforming a dude. Hell, I would spend 2 minutes transforming a guy and I'd think "that's a lot longer than it takes in the show."

I can only make the transforming noise with my mouth for so long before needing to take a breath!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

They straight-up said that they're not dumbing down everything and that Generations isn't going anywhere

Call me a pessimist but I'm not real sanguine about that state of affairs lasting any longer than it takes whoever's in charge to transfer out and a new manager to see a way to really tighten up the bottom line.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

I can only make the transforming noise with my mouth for so long before needing to take a breath!

This is something we used to do as kids. :3:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Putting Diesel together took me almost three hours. I never want to take him out of combined mode again because I don't want to ever have to transform that thing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I want to thank Xenomorph for voicing my thoughts way better than I could (in english at least). The toy doesn't interest me either but I understand what they were going for and I hope they do well and refine the concept to get that sweet spot between cool looks and simpler yet interesting transformations. I'd be surprised if the AoE toyline doesn't have at least two or three must-have figures.

The only thing I disagree with is the chrome. I think it always looks awfully bad and silver paint invariably looks better in the same situation.

In other movienews, tfw2005 was having a serious battle between those who think Grimlock is a Carnotaurus now (because of the horns?) and those who think he's still a T-Rex. IT'S A SPACE ROBOT EXTREME BAY-DINOSAUR you loving spergtrons!

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 4, 2014

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would think that everyone in this thread has done it at one point or another.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Gammatron 64 posted:

USED to do? I play with my 2-year old and his Rescue Bots and make the sound every chance I get! He's trying to do the sound too, it's so cute :)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I want to thank Xenomorph for voicing my thoughts way better than I could (in english at least). The toy doesn't interest me either but I understand what they were going for and I hope they do well and refine the concept to get that sweet spot between cool looks and simpler yet interesting transformations. I'd be surprised if the AoE toyline doesn't have at least two or three must-have figures.

The only thing I disagree with is the chrome. I think it always looks awfully bad and silver paint invariably looks better in the same situation.

In other movienews, tfw2005 was having a serious battle between those who think Grimlock is a Carnotaurus now (because of the horns?) and those who think he's still a T-Rex. IT'S A SPACE ROBOT EXTREME BAY-DINOSAUR you loving spergtrons!

Real pterodactyls had two heads and metal skin, too!

And yeah, he would look so much better and not so much like a weird knockoff from Big Lots if he was painted instead of having a blinged out chrome chest.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Keldroc posted:

I agree with Sire Oblivion that this is a cost-saving measure more than anything. The "keeping it simple for the kids" is just a nice way to spin the fact that the cost of plastic is directly impacting even the top selling toy brands at this point.

Action figures shouldn't take time to 'master', and no, they couldn't. Like do you think 12 year olds are buying these toys? And parents aren't 'erroneously' buying toys for their children, dude. We're talking about like loving six year olds here. Any older than that and they're playing videogames.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also no, kids aren't "dumb" today but they are goddamn impatient. I've always been pretty good at remembering complex transformations but at that age I would have said "gently caress this" to ROTF leader Prime, and never transformed him back to truck mode, and I was far more patient than kids in general are today. Honestly it's weird because ROTF Prime isn't even fun to transform for an adult. It's complex but it's also too fiddly. I think even ROTF Mixmaster is easier to do if you remember the sequence, because at least with Mix you don't have to force anything, all his pieces tab and close with no effort (as long as you don't do anything out of order, which is hard in itself!) I have fun transforming the latter since it's like a puzzle where at least the pieces go together without effort.

This is not to say that the ROTF Leader mold isn't incredible, because it is. It's just one of those figures you kind of want to transform every 6 months or so to change your display a bit.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 4, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, exactly. Kids are intelligent (I wouldn't say 'smart', I've always imagined smart to occur at more of an intersection of intelligent/learned) but they also have poo poo to do.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

therealjon_ posted:

Putting Diesel together took me almost three hours. I never want to take him out of combined mode again because I don't want to ever have to transform that thing.

I really enjoyed transforming him precisely because he took so long. But I despise having nothing to do, and so a robot/combiner that is like a "project" gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, that's right...as kids. :cripes:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Magic posted:

I really enjoyed transforming him precisely because he took so long. But I despise having nothing to do, and so a robot/combiner that is like a "project" gives me a lot of satisfaction.

ROTF Leader Prime is one of my favorite figures ever for this exact reason.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was watching Vangelus' latest videos and there's this pretty neat Ultra Magnus addon kit for the deluxe. It looks great, I wasn't really paying attention to that particular 3rd party project so I expected nothing from it. Now I think I want it!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, I actually have both versions of that mold and I at least want the Magnus one. Then I can give him the God Bomber upgrade later so he can be like... Double Magnus.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

I totally get that. I think my frustration with Diesel/Menasor was I felt like so many of his parts were just going to snap while doing him. Especially that mid section, the crank joints are so tight on that thin piece of plastic bridging the top to the bottom of his body.

That said the end result was pretty satisfying, but he's staying that way forever!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

therealjon_ posted:

I totally get that. I think my frustration with Diesel/Menasor was I felt like so many of his parts were just going to snap while doing him. Especially that mid section, the crank joints are so tight on that thin piece of plastic bridging the top to the bottom of his body.

That said the end result was pretty satisfying, but he's staying that way forever!

Oh yeah, for sure. His midsection terrified me the first time I ran through it, as I was so scared of breaking something. Then I broke a tab--but it didn't matter--and the stress sort of left me. I really like Diesel on his own, though, so I'd feel bad about not seeing his individual modes again.

My one complaint about his combined mode is that his left knee/thigh doesn't want to stay locked very well when I try to pose him.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Blackheart posted:

He looks more like an Allosaur to me than either of those choices (please don't kill me!). :ninja:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rei_ posted:

Yeah, exactly. Kids are intelligent (I wouldn't say 'smart', I've always imagined smart to occur at more of an intersection of intelligent/learned) but they also have poo poo to do.

On the topic of children being morons or whatever: my first glimpse at how insane modern TFs have been becoming was a few years back when I had two nephews over and they obviously wanted to play with my cool toy collection. Animated was out in full force at this time, so they naturally gravitated to the very colorful and friendly-looking robots only to be stopped in their tracks by the nonsense that is Deluxe Bumblebee's transformation. I think when your kid-appeal mascot character requires adult assistance to handle, you've crossed a boundary in toy design. Don't mistake complexity for intelligence; the number one goal of toy design should be "is this thing actually fun to play with."

(Incidentally I work as a teacher at an after-school facility and I use a couple of Bot Shots as sign holders for "turn your work in here" kind of things. The kids fukken love them.)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

As long as they leave Generations more or less alone, I don't really care what they do with the movie line. Some decent Dinobots would have been nice, but I am not one of the TFW "RAWR RUINED FOREVER...AGAIN!" people on this issue. However, I really do think it's more about cost than kid compatibility. The latter just makes a nicer story, and kids are not as inept as you seem to think. It didn't take 20 minutes to transform Trypticon, but it did take a while, and the result was worth the effort. I'm sure a lot of modern kids think the same of RotF Prime or the like.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If I haven't convinced you guys yet about my horrible taste in plastic robots, I picked these guys on discount and they're surprisingly solid and fun to play with, if you fiddle and customize them a bit (which honestly, is the whole point). They're voyager-sized and the best thing is their accessories and guns (the megs vs. optimus pack comes with a ton of extras) have standard 5mm pegs and pegholes so they're great for arming your regular transformers.

Just look at Hound's :buddy: face

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

If I haven't convinced you guys yet about my horrible taste in plastic robots, I picked these guys on discount and they're surprisingly solid and fun to play with, if you fiddle and customize them a bit (which honestly, is the whole point). They're voyager-sized and the best thing is their accessories and guns (the megs vs. optimus pack comes with a ton of extras) have standard 5mm pegs and pegholes so they're great for arming your regular transformers.

[quote="Blackheart" post="425312373"]

I have tried so hard to love these (I've purchased about 4), but they all seem to transform the same way, and I haven't seen a vehicle mode I like all that much. It's a fun idea but I don't think they're quite on the mark yet. Hopefully they get there before they get thrown in the refuse bin with PCCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The "core" PCCs were legit cool scout figures in many cases, and they're even better with the Maketoys Mobine limb kits. A couple of the official limb sets were actually decent too, but yeah they were by far the weakest part of the PCC line. Grimstone and the dinobots is :krad: all by himself though.