Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

leftover beans, tortillas and carnitas. The onion half was from my quac and pico, half was enough for those as well.

lime, cilantro.

my tortillas are dried up, I can still fry them and make tortilla strips, taco shells, corn chips.

I am making tostadas.

refried some leftover beans in the lard I have and mashed.

dropped my meat into the fry oil to re invigorate it. you could reheat it in the microwave if you don't like fun.

topped with chopped cilantro and onion. Could do cheese and salsa instead? or pico if you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I've used a bunch of recipes from this recipes but didn't have time to read back through it tonight. Any favorite crock pot recipes for pork loin? I have a peanut sauce one I'm looking at but thought I'd see if anyone had a great one off the cuff.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
what kind of loin is it? things like tenderloin are very lean and don't do very well in the crock pot.

most loins I prefer to roast, or cook with a dry heat quickly. If there is enough connective tissue and fat marbling going on, you can get away with braising it (using your slow cooker)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm looking for some relatively quick recipes that are generally diet friendly. Not really any specific diet, so much as a eat-loving-less diet. My only real constraint is time. I work Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 5, so big crockpot meals are out except for the weekends. Quicker meals are better for the weeknights.

Also, anyone have any good ideas for add-ins and flavorings for hummus? I just got done with a spinach and artichoke hummus that was kind of all right, but not amazing. My standard flavor for hummus has been 5 spice powder and red pepper flakes, but I'm always looking for new ways to flavor the stuff.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking for some relatively quick recipes that are generally diet friendly. Not really any specific diet, so much as a eat-loving-less diet. My only real constraint is time. I work Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 5, so big crockpot meals are out except for the weekends. Quicker meals are better for the weeknights.

Also, anyone have any good ideas for add-ins and flavorings for hummus? I just got done with a spinach and artichoke hummus that was kind of all right, but not amazing. My standard flavor for hummus has been 5 spice powder and red pepper flakes, but I'm always looking for new ways to flavor the stuff.

Garlic hummus. With chopped Jalapenos.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't make hummus, I use store bought, but I like to dice up homemade pickles and stir those in. Adds a nice vinegary punch.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

hummuschat

I really like doing a bay leaf or two in there when I cook up the chick peas. Also if red pepper isn't too expensive you can add some roasted red pepper in there. I also like to do raw garlic for the most part but doing a whole head of roast garlic in there is also really good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Red bell pepper is cheaper than green here right now and roasted red pepper hummus with a bunch of garlic is awesome.

Speaking of awesome, ribollita, the Tuscan bread and bean soup to use whatever leafy greats/leftover veg./leftover minestrone/stale bread you have:

A half pound of red beans (gently caress authenticity, red beans are great in this and the Portuguese have good taste) soaked overnight and cooked in salted water (3 minutes @high pressure with natural release in my pressure cooker). Then sweat some salted onion, garlic, and celery* in a bit of oil before adding chili flakes, bay leaf, parsley, and whatever herbs you want, then tomato fresh or tinned, greens to wilt, two cups of stale bread torn into small bits, beans and cooking liquid, a bit of rind from a chunk of Parmesan, stock if you are feeling fancy but you don't need it, and whatever other vegetables you may choose. Simmer until the bread breaks down to thicken into a hearty stew. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste before drizzling extra virgin olive oil over the pot as generously as you want.

* If you are smart and lucky enough to have the option of buying your celery with leaves, do so and chop up the leafy end to go in here. They are a wonderful bitter green that not enough people play with and take ribollita from yummy to awesome.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm fond of basil, and it goes lovely in a batch of hummus. Top with a few toasted pine nuts before serving, and life is good.

Toasted crushed cumin seed, a bit of chopped parsley (and by a bit, I mean a lot), a few whole chickpeas, and some coarse grained sea salt on top is lovely too.

Fry off the chickpeas in olive oil, salt, and za'atar before grinding into the puree, and you've got this amazing tasting hummus.

Conversely, do the same with a couple of sprigs of rosemary.

Chop up some FIRM fleshed olives (so kalamata is workable, but often too squishy for it to work), and sprinkle on top before serving.

Cilantro and lime juice is very nice.

My mum used to take plain hummus, shredded cabbage, some diced pickles, some tomato, a bit of finely chopped red onion, and whatever herb she had lying about (usually cilantro), chopped celery, some lime or lemon juice, and black pepper, and eat it in pita bread. She felt like my hummus was too salty, so she wanted to eat it, but wanted it more diluted. It tasted pretty drat good.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

Red bell pepper is cheaper than green here right now and roasted red pepper hummus with a bunch of garlic is awesome.

Speaking of awesome, ribollita, the Tuscan bread and bean soup to use whatever leafy greats/leftover veg./leftover minestrone/stale bread you have:

A half pound of red beans (gently caress authenticity, red beans are great in this and the Portuguese have good taste) soaked overnight and cooked in salted water (3 minutes @high pressure with natural release in my pressure cooker). Then sweat some salted onion, garlic, and celery* in a bit of oil before adding chili flakes, bay leaf, parsley, and whatever herbs you want, then tomato fresh or tinned, greens to wilt, two cups of stale bread torn into small bits, beans and cooking liquid, a bit of rind from a chunk of Parmesan, stock if you are feeling fancy but you don't need it, and whatever other vegetables you may choose. Simmer until the bread breaks down to thicken into a hearty stew. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste before drizzling extra virgin olive oil over the pot as generously as you want.

* If you are smart and lucky enough to have the option of buying your celery with leaves, do so and chop up the leafy end to go in here. They are a wonderful bitter green that not enough people play with and take ribollita from yummy to awesome.

So making this. Just have to wait for me having stale bread and celery that needs to be used to coincide :ohdear:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

season veg, chicken, inside and out. the drier the skin the better, so pat it dry. maybe let salt sit on it while it warms up, this will expel more moisture. You don't wan't rubbery skin.

even better, dry brine it for a few days in the fridge.

place on veg, truss or don't

450 degree oven for just under an hour. I do this on weeknights because it is so easy to prepare. Even if I have to wait an hour for it. It makes my house smell wonderful too.

I picked it up on the way home and a couple jalepenos and a lime. None of the other meat, vegetables looked very good and/or over priced so I didn't get anything else. I will try to go to the store on Friday. I can probably make it through till saturday again with what I have.

Tomorrow some kind of chicken noodle soup using my leftover chicken. I will make it much the same way I made my turkey dumpling soup, just with some new flavors this time.. and noodles.

the end. for now.

just kidding, i got my case of Soylent in the mail today. I don't have to keep this charade up anymore.

copen fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 22, 2014

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
nth'ing roast chicken as a great way to:

1.) have a relatively cheap nice meal. You can do it all for well under $10- chicken, onion, couple of other root vegetables.
2.) make your kitchen/house smell really good while you're cooking it.
3.) produce great quantities of leftovers. Especially if you're cooking for yourself, or just two people. You can do chicken soup, chicken salad, shredded chicken for tacos, etc. Typically a four or five pound chicken, roasted, with give me half a dozen meals.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Did you do anything with the veggies in the skillet or just throw them in the pan? I have a cast iron skillet just kinda...sitting in my room doing nothing and I think i wanna try that

copen
Feb 2, 2003
just some salt, don't cut them too big or very small. you wan't them to be done about the same time as the chicken. the chicken drippings will make them taste fantastic.

edit: kosher salt is best for just about everything.

edit2: I gave them a good stir when it was done, then put my chicken back on top to rest for about 10 mins.

copen fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 22, 2014

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Okay another question, I'm pretty sure its too much work for me to prep this cast iron skillet in the middle of winter where i can't really air out the house. how can I do the same thing just in a roaster?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
If your cast iron pan is smoking you are getting it to hot to season. You are really just burning it off at that point.

Edit: you can do it in any pan you have and it will be fine.

copen fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 22, 2014

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010
What's a good resource to use for cheap vegetarian (that are tasty) dishes? Having to cut back on meats and fried foods because of health reasons. I have made recipes for cauliflower mashed "potatoes" and kale chips (surprisingly good). However, I can only eat so much cauliflower and kale. :bang:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SoleilEquil posted:

What's a good resource to use for cheap vegetarian (that are tasty) dishes? Having to cut back on meats and fried foods because of health reasons. I have made recipes for cauliflower mashed "potatoes" and kale chips (surprisingly good). However, I can only eat so much cauliflower and kale. :bang:

Hummus is a good staple food that can be flavored in tons of different ways. Use this recipe as a base.

Cauliflower can make pizza crust that is both tasty and healthy. Just make sure you squeeze as much water out of it as possible before baking. We recently tried it for the first time, and holy hell was it good.

Make veggie stir frys. Those are easy and infinitely variable. Depending on your level of effort, you can either buy a bag of frozen stir fry mix, or grab a bunch of different veggies and slice them thin yourself. What I generally do is mince up 2 cloves of garlic, about an ounce or two of fresh ginger, very thinly slice about half a bell pepper, 1 sweet onion, 1 large carrot, and then get a can of baby corn and bamboo shoots, because I can't get those fresh in my town. Really though, you can add whatever veggies you want. Zucchini, bok choy, bean sprouts, snow peas, scallions... it's pretty much entirely dependant on what you want to eat and how you want it to taste. I also buy a jar of stir fry sauce, of varying flavors, because I'm too lazy to make my own, and I like the stuff our grocers sell. Try different sauces with different veggie combos. You'll also want to make a slurry of ~1TBSP water and flour/cornstarch. Just add those into a very small container and stir, then let it sit to even out.

Take a wok, or if you don't have one, a large, wide skillet, add the ginger and garlic and heat it up on high with a good oil like peanut or canola oil. You want an oil with a really high smoke point, so don't use olive oil or butter/margarine, as those will burn. Once the garlic starts to brown slightly, add your veggies and stir around to coat everything in oil. Continue cooking and stirring for ~5 minutes until the veggies are tender, yet crispy. Add your stir fry sauce, followed by the slurry, and stir everything together to incorporate the slurry into the sauce. Turn off the heat and let it sit for a couple minutes to cool and thicken, and voila! Veggie stir fry.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SoleilEquil posted:

This thread is also an invaluable resource for such dishes.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

The Midniter posted:

This thread is also an invaluable resource for such dishes.

neogeo0823 posted:

Hummus is a good staple food that can be flavored in tons of different ways. Use this recipe as a base.

Cauliflower can make pizza crust that is both tasty and healthy. Just make sure you squeeze as much water out of it as possible before baking. We recently tried it for the first time, and holy hell was it good.

Thanks for linking that! I kind of had overlooked checking out vegan recipes for what I was looking.

Hummus is already a staple of mine, but I always store buy it so I'll have to give that one a try. The cauliflower pizza crust looks amazing and is definitely bookmarked.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

neogeo0823 posted:

I also buy a jar of stir fry sauce, of varying flavors, because I'm too lazy to make my own, and I like the stuff our grocers sell.

I just make a sauce of equal parts soy sauce, sriracha, and brown sugar. You can alter to your taste but that's a pretty good base.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

SoleilEquil posted:

This is a pretty comprehensive introduction/guide to cooking vegetarian on a budget. I haven't made many of the recipes, but it's at least good for inspiration.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

KingShiro posted:

I just make a sauce of equal parts soy sauce, sriracha, and brown sugar. You can alter to your taste but that's a pretty good base.

I'd add a dash of fish sauce or oyster sauce or something as well. Not a lot.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh yeah, I also forgot about fried rice! That's a really easy dish to make, that's tasty as gently caress and also infinitely variable. Unfortunately, I've lost the link to the original recipe that I go by, but I've got it memorized well enough to transcribe it here.

Things you'll need:

For 1-2 servings, depending on how hungry you are.

1 to 1.5 cups uncooked rice
2-4 eggs
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster or fish sauce
1 tbsp sriracha
~2 cups add-ins*
1-3 scallions

*For the add-ins, you can do whatever you want. Literally any combo of meat and/or veggies. Tonight, I used a small sweet onion, half a green pepper, and half a bag of broccoli slaw. In the past, I've used shrimp, I've sliced up a whole chicken breast, I've used those frozen diced veggies you get for $.99 at the grocery store, fresh veggies of all sorts, whatever.

Procedure:

Ideally, you'd want to cook your rice 1-2 days ahead of time. After cooking it, put it on a foil lined pan in the fridge until needed. Since most people can't predict when they'll want fried rice 2 days in advance(I know I can't), you can cheat a bit and put your cooked rice on a foil lined pan in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Make sure you separate the clumps as much as possible before you freeze it. The texture won't be quite the same, but it's entirely passable.

Prepare your add-ins ahead of time, most likely while the rice if cooling in the freezer. Dice/slice veggies into small, half-bite-sized pieces. Slice up your chicken. Take your eggs and the soy sauce and very lightly whisk them together in a bowl. The idea isn't to make them like scrambled eggs, but to just kind of break the eggs apart and mix them together. Slice your scallions thinly.

Once your rice is cooled, take a very wide-bottomed pan or wok, and add a couple tbsp of canola or peanut oil and heat on high. Add the rice, and break up any large clumps. You won't get them all, but try not to leave any huge ones. Let the rice heat for ~3 minutes on high, then stir/flip the rice and let it go for another ~3 minutes.

By now most of the smaller clumps should have broken up. Add in ~1tbsp sriracha on top of the rice, not directly on the hot pan bottom. If you set it on the metal, it'll boil and you'll mace yourself. You'll want to use more or less depending on your tolerance for heat. I like just a bit less than a full tbsp per cup of uncooked rice. Now add the 2tbsp of oyster/fish sauce(I prefer fish, since it's thinner and doesn't caramelize like the oyster sauce does), hold your breath, and quickly stir everything together until the rice is uniformly colored and there's no white/light spots or clumps left in there.

Next, push all the rice up the sides of the pan, leaving as much of the middle open as possible. Drizzle a bit of oil into the middle, and add whatever veggies you're using, along with half the scallions. Stir them, trying not to mix them with the rice, and cook for a couple minutes until they're stir fried and tendercrisp. Once they're done, stir them into the rice.

Push the rice/veggies against the sides of the pan again, same as before. Now drizzle a bit more oil, then add your meat, if you're using it. Same as before, stir fry until it's done. Stir that into the rice. Once again, push the rice up along the sides of the pan. This time, you'll just add your egg, with no oil, straight to the middle of the pan and turn off the heat. There's a few different things you can do with the eggs at this point. Some people like to fry them without touching them, the cut them into strips and serve them as a garnish. Personally, I just take a fork and quickly whisk the egg around the middle of the pan. I'm not really stirring the egg so much as scraping it off the bottom of the pan. As I do this, the egg cooks and breaks up into little chunks, which I mix into the rice once it's set.

Let the rice cool for a few minutes in the pan, then scoop into bowls and garnish with the rest of the scallions. Laugh at all the people who think that complex recipes are the only good ones.

Here was my bowl of rice tonight.

Tasty. As. gently caress.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

SoleilEquil posted:

Get a big bag of lentils and some whole spices if you don't have them already (mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds). Consult dino's Indian cooking thread.Ta-daa, you're ready to enter the wonderful world of daal.

I've been cooking a shitload of red lentil daal lately, it's awesome. Dirt cheap, tasty, done in 15 minutes.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

Get a big bag of lentils and some whole spices if you don't have them already (mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds). Consult dino's Indian cooking thread.Ta-daa, you're ready to enter the wonderful world of daal.

I've been cooking a shitload of red lentil daal lately, it's awesome. Dirt cheap, tasty, done in 15 minutes.

I've never been a huge fan of lentils. However, because of the sheer number of recommendations I've seen for them here, I might have to give them another chance. Especially because that recipe looks delicious.

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013
I didn't like lentils originally, but red lentils are less lentil-y? I don't really know how to describe it. They cook down very easily and fall apart, much like split peas. You can easily make soup with them and they get creamy, like pea soup. Even my dad, who HATES lentils (the only two things he won't eat are lentils and canned wax beans) loved the lentil-tomato-chickpea soup I made. Quite tasty.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SoleilEquil posted:

I've never been a huge fan of lentils. However, because of the sheer number of recommendations I've seen for them here, I might have to give them another chance. Especially because that recipe looks delicious.

Try learning the ways of Indian lentils. They do things with dal that I didn't think could be done. Even a basic daal tarka is pretty amazing tasting, and infinitely adaptable. Got some carrots? Toss them in! Potatoes? Cube, boil, dal, devour!

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
One technique that's made my life as an impoverished-food-eater a lot easier is giant fuckoff-batches of caramelized onions.
Slice 3-4 onions, lightly oil giant cast-iron, sprinkle w/ salt and a touch of baking soda(to lower ph and facilitate caramelization). Cover; cook on low for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Take off lid. Cook on med-low, stirring constantly, for 30 minutes or as long as it takes for your onions to turn into shriveled blackened concentrated deliciousness.

Once you've got a couple of cups of caramelized onions you can use them to gussie up all of yr favorite poor-people foods.

Fried rice? Throw in some caramelized onions and laugh at the fact that people pay good money at restaurants for things less tasty than this.
Is that a fish you cooked, good sir? Top yr fish with blackened strands of sweet n' savory allium. Doff your chef-cap, homey, that fish might as well be speaking with a Parisian accent, it's so sophisicated.
Eggs? Sheeeit, son, your omelette is about to hop the train to French-inspired high-cuisine flavor town. Chugga whoo-whoo. Crown fried eggs with a tiara of onion. Yolk and caramelization ahoy. Your toast won't know what hit it.
Beans? Aw man, puree or molcajete a couple-a tbsp caramelized onions and add them into your refritos or black beans. poo poo's unreal.

Realtalk: Spending 40 minutes once a week or 2 babysitting a pan of onions is one of the best time-investments a poor person with taste can make.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

One technique that's made my life as an impoverished-food-eater a lot easier is giant fuckoff-batches of caramelized onions.
Slice 3-4 onions, lightly oil giant cast-iron, sprinkle w/ salt and a touch of baking soda(to lower ph and facilitate caramelization). Cover; cook on low for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Take off lid. Cook on med-low, stirring constantly, for 30 minutes or as long as it takes for your onions to turn into shriveled blackened concentrated deliciousness.

Once you've got a couple of cups of caramelized onions you can use them to gussie up all of yr favorite poor-people foods.

Fried rice? Throw in some caramelized onions and laugh at the fact that people pay good money at restaurants for things less tasty than this.
Is that a fish you cooked, good sir? Top yr fish with blackened strands of sweet n' savory allium. Doff your chef-cap, homey, that fish might as well be speaking with a Parisian accent, it's so sophisicated.
Eggs? Sheeeit, son, your omelette is about to hop the train to French-inspired high-cuisine flavor town. Chugga whoo-whoo. Crown fried eggs with a tiara of onion. Yolk and caramelization ahoy. Your toast won't know what hit it.
Beans? Aw man, puree or molcajete a couple-a tbsp caramelized onions and add them into your refritos or black beans. poo poo's unreal.

Realtalk: Spending 40 minutes once a week or 2 babysitting a pan of onions is one of the best time-investments a poor person with taste can make.

You can make caramelized onions quicker and easier: link

If you have a copy of Modernist Cuisine @ Home, look at page 127 for how to pressure caramelize onions.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 2, 2014

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can make caramelized onions quicker and easier: link

If you have a copy of Modernist Cuisine @ Home, look at page 127 for how to pressure caramelize onions.

Any idea how the pressure cooker version works?

Also I read about doing them in a crock pot, anyone tried that?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

Any idea how the pressure cooker version works?

Also I read about doing them in a crock pot, anyone tried that?

It's really pretty simple: just cut some onion to the desired shape and combine in a mixing bowl with 0.3% baking soda (by which I mean for every 100g onions, use 0.3g baking soda) until thoroughly combined. Then combine with 7% butter (scaling to onions in the same way as baking soda), semi-tighten jar lids, and pressure cook for 40 minutes. Quick release, let the jars cool, and open when convenient. When you want to use the onions, simmer over medium heat until they've reduced to a syrup, about 10 minutes.

Quick note...just make sure you don't rest the jars directly on the floor of the pressure cooker; space them with a trivet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

Have you tried adding a dash of balsamic vinegar to your onions?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
So here's my dinner tonight.

Homemade red sauce:

Homemade no knead bread, from Budget Bytes:

Homemade red sauce. No recipe, just canned tomatoes, garlic, spices. Hit that poo poo with an immersion blender:

Cooked up a couple of hot sausages, sliced them and dumped 'em in the sauce, along with like 2 cups of spinach:

$.89 for the pasta, ~$1 for the sausage, ~$.75 for the spinach, $.27 for the loaf of bread (per Budget Bytes), $1.19 for the can of tomatoes. Total cost- call it $5. Servings- at least two lunches and two dinners, plus a midnight snack. For me, living on my own, that's a great deal. Also, it's really minimally different cost-wise than if my cash flow were much stronger right now. I'd probably add another sausage, or get some really nice cheese to grate on top instead of the grocery store brand in the can.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I did a pasta, myself. No pics, sorry - but I put oil and thinly sliced garlic (about 4 cloves) in a pan, set the stove to medium heat, and poked it around occasionally. Meanwhile, I set a pot of water to boil and make pasta with. As soon as the oil starts bubbling, turn it down to medium low and start swirling it around to make sure the garlic doesn't burn. When the garlic is golden, optionally toss some thin sliced shrooms+zucchini into the oil and toss until flexible, and then put on your drained pasta. Add a fuckton of parmesan and some black pepper + red pepper, toss, eat.

Delicious.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's really pretty simple: just cut some onion to the desired shape and combine in a mixing bowl with 0.3% baking soda (by which I mean for every 100g onions, use 0.3g baking soda) until thoroughly combined. Then combine with 7% butter (scaling to onions in the same way as baking soda), semi-tighten jar lids, and pressure cook for 40 minutes. Quick release, let the jars cool, and open when convenient. When you want to use the onions, simmer over medium heat until they've reduced to a syrup, about 10 minutes.

Quick note...just make sure you don't rest the jars directly on the floor of the pressure cooker; space them with a trivet.

So you do them in mason jars?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
What's the absolute easiest, least time consuming way to make stock?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
pressure cooker

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Or dump it in a crock pot before work/bed and pack it when you get home/wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but one great way to save some cash and still eat healthy is chicken. A lot of times in the store, the bone-on skin-on breasts are some of the cheapest available. It doesn't take a whole lot of skill to remove the bones from the meat. When you remove the bones from the meat, you get two pieces of meat and one bone.

What do you do with these?

Freeze the bones for later use. (Stock, for rice and soups!)

Reserve the tenderloin for later use (or fry it and eat it immediately, that happens sometimes)

Take a very sharp knife and cut the chicken breast in half, lengthwise. This stretches your portions tremendously. Once you get good at this, you can easily get three pieces of chicken per 8 oz chicken breast.

I have some chicken to break down in the fridge, so next time I do it, I can take pictures and post them here. But, when you break down the breast, I find it best to turn it skin side down, and even out the thicker part of the breast just slightly in order to make your slices more even. This also makes achieving three pieces from one breast a LOT easier. This also leaves you with an extra piece of "scrap" meat. Something you can A. Reserve for soup chicken or B. Reserve and bake off on a sheet tray with a little bit of oil (don't forget this part, it keeps your chicken juicy, even if you overcook it),salt and pepper and make chicken salad with!

I usually break down 10-12 whole breasts everytime I do this. Feeding a family of 6, I do a lot of manual labor in my kitchen.

Kafka Esq. posted:

What's the absolute easiest, least time consuming way to make stock?

Chicken Quarters
Mire Poix (Onion Carrot Celery)
Chuck everything in stock pot, put it on the lowest setting.

You can do one of two things here;

Let the water absorb all of the goodness from the chicken and have more nutrients in your stock.
After about 30-40 minutes of simmering, remove all of the chicken from the stock (easiest when you put your chicken on top of the vegetables) and reserve all of the meat for other dishes return bones/unwanted parts. This is especially a great idea if you...
A. Hate loving eating chicken legs/thighs because of all of the ligaments and those drat bones. Problem Solved.
B. Want stock, but don't want to waste all of that money and throw away good meat. Because this meat is awesome.

Other things to consider adding to your stock;
Whole Peppercorns
Parsley stems (or the whole drat thing)
Rosemary
Thyme
Garlic
Bay Leaves

If you have a big enough stock pot, you can start this when you get home from work, and simmer it until you go to bed. Hell, hard boil it, it will finish faster.

Better yet, pressure cooker!

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 4, 2014