Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Lamias are just a rare forest poptype that hates you.

Pretty much this.

dis astranagant posted:

Protip: Virtues are terrible.

And this.

Don't worry I'm working on a pretender mod, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Pomp posted:

Don't turn 1 expand, even with a Virtue, kids. :eng99:

Turn 1 expand only with dragons. And maybe krakens.

Anything else and who knows what will happen. But dragons are capable of killing pretty much any indy group, while there is a smaller set of UW indies, which a kraken is suitable of taking out.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Turn one expand with Bandar log so you can get rid of those useless makarta

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Junkfist posted:

See I was thinking if regions connected to a fort were able to slowly redistribute population like they instantaneously centralize resources then that'd be a satisfying and reasonable workaround for 0 pop.

But oh well.

Apparently with the existing system any attempt at population migration breaks the game more than Eramor ever could. As to any potential fix? Well that would involve effort, and frankly they have new Victory screens to code! No time to fix unimportant stuff like population migration!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

jsoh posted:

Turn one expand with Bandar log so you can get rid of those useless makarta
Makartas aren't useless... they're great for catching lances.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Meinberg posted:

dragons are capable of killing pretty much any indy group

Sup literally everyone else on my team

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Nah, gently caress amazons and heavy cav.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

goatface posted:

Don't mind hunt with your pretender.

Unless you're one of the factions that gets affliction healers in which case mind hunt to your hearts content.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

Unless you're one of the factions that gets affliction healers in which case mind hunt to your hearts content.

You should probably have better things to do with your pretender.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

sullat posted:

You should probably have better things to do with your pretender.

I never said it was a good idea, but at least you don't have to worry about mind hunt!

Mind Hunt is S4 too so getting dudes who can cast it is no easy feat.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Neruz posted:

Mind Hunt is S4 too so getting dudes who can cast it is no easy feat.

Eh. There are a lot of nations with S3s, and it's not like Starshine Skullcaps can't be moved from dude to dude. Even an S2 can do it if you have access to Crystal Coins.

I mindhunted the poo poo out of Jomon as LA Atlantis using Forgiving Fathers, only ever got one of them feebleminded. If you've got good scouting, you can usually pick your targets pretty safely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Sonofabitch.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got into this game about a week ago and while I'm loving it, I'd really like to get into multiplayer. The AI gets a little stale even though I'm not great at the game. I know about the goon game thread in PGS, but figured I'd ask some questions before jumping in.

1. How do turns work? Do people coordinate to be online at the same time or does the host set a timeframe for everyone to take their turns? I'm guessing that if someone doesn't act within that timeframe their turn just automatically ends and their units carry on with existing orders.

2. If someone sets their civilization to be AI controlled can they later take it back? Such as in cases where a player isn't available for a little while, but wouldn't want to hold up the game. It's not like the AI could mess everything up in a few turns, right? :v:

3. Are disciples the typical game mode?

4. How long does a typical game last and how quickly does it move?

The reason I'm asking questions like these is because I travel a lot for work right now and my schedule isn't really consistent. Coordinating when I'm home wouldn't be an issue, but if I'm away I'd sometimes need broad windows or even have to back out and set myself to AI.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Safety Factor posted:

I got into this game about a week ago and while I'm loving it, I'd really like to get into multiplayer. The AI gets a little stale even though I'm not great at the game. I know about the goon game thread in PGS, but figured I'd ask some questions before jumping in.

1. How do turns work? Do people coordinate to be online at the same time or does the host set a timeframe for everyone to take their turns? I'm guessing that if someone doesn't act within that timeframe their turn just automatically ends and their units carry on with existing orders.

2. If someone sets their civilization to be AI controlled can they later take it back? Such as in cases where a player isn't available for a little while, but wouldn't want to hold up the game. It's not like the AI could mess everything up in a few turns, right? :v:

3. Are disciples the typical game mode?

4. How long does a typical game last and how quickly does it move?

The reason I'm asking questions like these is because I travel a lot for work right now and my schedule isn't really consistent. Coordinating when I'm home wouldn't be an issue, but if I'm away I'd sometimes need broad windows or even have to back out and set myself to AI.

1. Everybody gives their orders at the same time. Once all of the orders are submitted to the server the server automatically processes all of the orders at the same time. There is a long list of which orders come first/last somewhere. If you don't send in your orders by the time 24 hours or over (the clock can be changed to longer times too), then your guys just sit there with the orders they had before.

2. You can't come back from being set to an AI. So if you need to leave for some time either: ask for the timer to be put off for 1-2 days. Life happens so people are generally okay with it as long as you don't abuse the privilege. Or look for a substitute to take over your orders for the week or so you are gone. Give them the password and IP address and they can play for you.

3. No clue.

4. Typically, most players are killed/sent to be AI by the end of the first 2-3 weeks or so of real life time. Then the final 3-4 players will have their game finished by the end of month two. This game takes a long time to play. Turns start out coming in quickly. You might do 2 or 3 in a day, but end up coming every 2-3 days in the late game.

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922

Meinberg posted:

Turn 1 expand only with dragons. And maybe krakens.

Anything else and who knows what will happen. But dragons are capable of killing pretty much any indy group, while there is a smaller set of UW indies, which a kraken is suitable of taking out.

"Pretty much" is an important qualifier, undead indies + frost dragon is a bad end. :cripes:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Lemuria game was pretty short, I chose a small map to change airs and avoid extreme micro in the late game, and yeah, the AI can't play against undead nations.

So... say, what should be my next game? You can choose the faction!
I played EA Ulm, EA Arco, MA Atlantis and LA Lemuria. This time I will bump up the AI to hard! (here Dom veterans will laugh)

LA Ulm? the whole Dracula/Transylvania made me laugh when I saw the connection.
Mictlan in some age? Abysia? I want to try Blood, and I only dabbled in Fire magic.
EA Yomi? I read they are kind of bad.
A giant nation? The norse ones, the hebrew ones?
Any of the indian/ape nations? They have a nice array of units.
Agharta in a map with decent cave system?

I prefer a nation with strong theme, originality, and a decent scope of possible tactics and strategies (if a nation is 'good', but it's just good based on using the same specific unit/bless/spell combo, it's less interesting for me).

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922
MA Abysia is best nation. Ten Salamanders under a beastmaster can clear basically any number of infantry, especially the chaff the AI throws at you. Abysia's warlocks can come out blood loving four and astral/blood/fire is some of the most potent magic you can throw. Be sure to get some death on your pretender or plan to diversify into it, Abyssians get death national summons and no natural way to summon them.

Slayers are great Assassins and the AI has no brains about protecting their pretender, if they don't take a beefy one that li'l hitman will easily win the game for you.

You want very little mixing with independent troops, since your helltroopers will burn them alive if they're too close in formation. :supaburn:

Heavy order and productivity and forts forts forts are an absolute must, you've got basically nothing but heavy infantry (and the humanbreds, but they're just "pretty good." But that heavy infantry, in heat three at least, is the invincible squadron of doomtroopers that feels so right in Dominions.

Abysia is kinda my favorite, can you tell?

E: It's an entire race of burning volcano blood mages what more do you want?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

"You want very little mixing with independent troops, since your helltroopers will burn them alive if they're too close in formation"

Question, all the "auras" do friendly fire? Fire, cold? Fear, awe? I suppose Fear only works with the enemy. Wait, was Awe an aura or just a normal about-to-hit effect?

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922

Turin Turambar posted:

"You want very little mixing with independent troops, since your helltroopers will burn them alive if they're too close in formation"

Question, all the "auras" do friendly fire? Fire, cold? Fear, awe? I suppose Fear only works with the enemy. Wait, was Awe an aura or just a normal about-to-hit effect?

I believe that damage effects are indiscriminate but Fear and definitely awe are enemy only - Awe isn't quite an aura, your enemies take an awe check before they swing at the awe-inspiring unit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From the description of the Abysian infantry:

"They radiate a furnace-like heat and are impervious to all forms of fire, but are vulnerable to cold. The chill of winter slows them down and lowers their morale."

Is it true? In the game or inspector site I don't see any effect or trait that indicates that. Is it just part of the heat aura?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hey Pomp, you should use irc if you aren't, we really need to talk or you can just move from where you are and we can be peaceful.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
How does precision on spells interact with a mage's innate precision? Like, is there any point trying to buff a mage's precision with a spell like eagle eyes if they're casting a precision 1 spell like fireball?

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

TheresNoThyme posted:

How does precision on spells interact with a mage's innate precision? Like, is there any point trying to buff a mage's precision with a spell like eagle eyes if they're casting a precision 1 spell like fireball?

"Precision 1" on the spell means that you ADD 1 precision to the caster's stat when using the spell, not that the precision is lowered to 1. So it's always good to have the precision increased up to 15/16 (precision count double for accuracy from there) if you want your mages to actually hit bad guys and not friendly fire half your army.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Vaos posted:

"Precision 1" on the spell means that you ADD 1 precision to the caster's stat when using the spell, not that the precision is lowered to 1. So it's always good to have the precision increased up to 15/16 (precision count double for accuracy from there) if you want your mages to actually hit bad guys and not friendly fire half your army.

Oh, nice. I guess I'm just so used to seeing fireballs whiff past people (and into my own armies) that I assumed their precision was overwriting mage precision.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Try getting an air bless for Marignon, it works pretty well.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

amuayse posted:

Try getting an air bless for Marignon, it works pretty well.

Yeah, an Air/Earth bless + a minimum of scales to mitigate old age can really help Marignon's mages being performant on the field.

Not sure about other eras but in MA all your mages will be (or already are) old, so they can potentially pick up nasty -precision afflictions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vaos posted:

If it works like precision in mundane combat (ie. arrows), it doubles up from 10 onwards.

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922

Turin Turambar posted:

"They radiate a furnace-like heat and are impervious to all forms of fire, but are vulnerable to cold. The chill of winter slows them down and lowers their morale."

Is it true? In the game or inspector site I don't see any effect or trait that indicates that. Is it just part of the heat aura?

I know they have Heat Power, or at least salamanders do. I don't have the game to look at right now but I believe purebreed abyssians have "weakness to cold" as well?

E: And even if they don't I know for a fact they "prefer" heat 3 provinces which does have an effect on morale if I recall.

Sovietski fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 4, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

This time I will bump up the AI to hard! (here Dom veterans will laugh)

Don't bother. It won't make it smarter, it'll just result in you being flooded with more chaff than usual that you have to mow down.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Speleothing posted:

Eh. There are a lot of nations with S3s, and it's not like Starshine Skullcaps can't be moved from dude to dude. Even an S2 can do it if you have access to Crystal Coins.

I mindhunted the poo poo out of Jomon as LA Atlantis using Forgiving Fathers, only ever got one of them feebleminded. If you've got good scouting, you can usually pick your targets pretty safely.

Yeah, if you use it conservatively it is very powerful. If you gently caress up, you are only out 5 gems for an Eye of the Void and maybe 200 pounds of gold (or whatever) for recruitment.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheresNoThyme posted:

Oh, nice. I guess I'm just so used to seeing fireballs whiff past people (and into my own armies) that I assumed their precision was overwriting mage precision.

There is a breakdown of the deviation I think posted on some wiki... but basically if you want to sit at the back of the field you can deviate more squares than if you stood halfway forward and pushed your blockers to the frontline.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Irony.or.Death posted:

:smith:

I have moved to the "Dragons are at least a little overrated" camp.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
A normal dragon would have Awe from dom9. A normal dragon disciple would have N9 for regen. We had neither. In hindsight I'm not entirely surprised at the result, although testing indicated we'd be fine.

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing

Sovietski posted:

Super awesome Abysia post

What would a good pretender look like for MA Abysia? I'm not all that sure what I should be looking for in terms of magic ability. For instance I'm not sure how much death magic is healthy for an Abysian pretender without gimping him in other fields while also trying to get Order 3 and Productivity 3.

Lipton Iced Soup fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 5, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

They have a preferred heat scale of 3, so they suffer morale and fatigue penalties if the heat in a province is less than 3. There's nothing actually special about this; that's just how heat scales work. The same is true for literally everyone else in the game just with a different preferred scale.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
With the scales being needed, wouldn't high dom be needed to help the spread so that his troops aren't suffering as much?

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
What's the consensus on LA Ulm? It's tempting to play a game of all vampires all the time, but the Vampire Queen pretender is pretty absurdly pricey.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

With the scales being needed, wouldn't high dom be needed to help the spread so that his troops aren't suffering as much?

Abysia can blood sac so they have that option to patch up the domspread inside their own turf.

The problem with high dominion is that abysia is really starved for pretender points. They really need order (your non-cap mages are expensive for what they do and require temple+lab), growth (bloodhunting on a gold starved nation and the nice interaction with your old mages) and production (no low resource units). Going high dominion probably isn't possible unless you take an immobile/dormant pretender, but that causes its own problems for the nation's poor magic diversity.

Lipton Iced Soup posted:

What would a good pretender look like for MA Abysia? I'm not all that sure what I should be looking for in terms of magic ability. For instance I'm not sure how much death magic is healthy for an Abysian pretender without gimping him in other fields while also trying to get Order 3 and Productivity 3.

What are you planning to use the death magic for? If it's just smoulderghosts, they aren't that great in my experience and a pretender has better things to do than summon them. Abysia needs blood summons and blood will eventually break you into death with vampires/unique commanders, so there's not really a great reason to take it early unless you're building a site searcher or have a specific item/spell in mind.

Yessod posted:

What's the consensus on LA Ulm? It's tempting to play a game of all vampires all the time, but the Vampire Queen pretender is pretty absurdly pricey.

I played SP with a dormant blood fountain and it worked out well for mass vampire strats. Gives a good domscore for your immortals, enough leftover points to get growth, and swapping turns on summons + blood hunting your cap causes the income hit to be bearable.

That said, the real star of the nation for me were the mages who only require a lab to hire (members of the 2nd tier iirc). You could probably build a strat around using them to pump up your research, by taking magic scales and then going wild rushing evo for iron blizzard. Vampires are nice but alone they're not nearly enough to win you the game. They mainly provide you with a chaff screen + a self-propelling blood economy.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 5, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

1. Everybody gives their orders at the same time. Once all of the orders are submitted to the server the server automatically processes all of the orders at the same time. There is a long list of which orders come first/last somewhere. If you don't send in your orders by the time 24 hours or over (the clock can be changed to longer times too), then your guys just sit there with the orders they had before.

2. You can't come back from being set to an AI. So if you need to leave for some time either: ask for the timer to be put off for 1-2 days. Life happens so people are generally okay with it as long as you don't abuse the privilege. Or look for a substitute to take over your orders for the week or so you are gone. Give them the password and IP address and they can play for you.

3. No clue.

4. Typically, most players are killed/sent to be AI by the end of the first 2-3 weeks or so of real life time. Then the final 3-4 players will have their game finished by the end of month two. This game takes a long time to play. Turns start out coming in quickly. You might do 2 or 3 in a day, but end up coming every 2-3 days in the late game.

Thanks for answering my questions. Looks like I'll be able to make multiplayer work with my schedule. I'll get my name added to the PGS thread and keep an eye out for any newbie games that crop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a terrible ivan
Jul 26, 2011

We had an interpreter. He got drunk as a lord when he had to translate. So we cooked him in boiled water.

Neruz posted:

They have a preferred heat scale of 3, so they suffer morale and fatigue penalties if the heat in a province is less than 3. There's nothing actually special about this; that's just how heat scales work. The same is true for literally everyone else in the game just with a different preferred scale.

I don't think this is true at all. Temperature never affects morale, and only adds to encumberance of units that do not have appropriate resistance (plus Cold Blooded in cold climate).

Nation's temperature preference decides at what point you get a penalty to taxes (maybe supplies too) from any given province.

• Locked thread