Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

theflyingorc posted:

I love the use of all those old jokers.

Yeah, that's awesome. I'm not sure I'm clear on the first four though... First one looks like Joker in the 40's, then maybe Sid Ceasar Cesar Romero? The other two are familiar, but I can't quite place them.

Edit: God, Sid Ceasar, I'm an rear end in a top hat.

choobs fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

Yeah, that's awesome. I'm not sure I'm clear on the first four though... First one looks like Joker in the 40's, then maybe Sid Ceasar? The other two are familiar, but I can't quite place them.
40's, Cesar Romero (you can see the 'stache),
Aparo Joker (death of Jason Todd era), Bolland from Killing Joke.

Nicholson, BTAS,
Nu52, Heath

edit: sheeeet, that is Adams. Curse you PantsOptional!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 3, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

choobs posted:

Yeah, that's awesome. I'm not sure I'm clear on the first four though... First one looks like Joker in the 40's, then maybe Sid Ceasar? The other two are familiar, but I can't quite place them.

Joker in his first appearance, Cesar Romero, 70's-80's Joker, Killing Joke-r.

edit: loving beaten.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 3, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Uh, did you guys just miss Nicholson, Animated Series, Modern Faceless Joker, and Heath Ledger?

edit: I'm dumb he talked specifically about the first 4.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mind the walrus posted:

This seems like a good time to ask and honestly it's probably easier to find out through you guys than trying to dig up the information in half-edited wikis, but how did X-writers reconcile the whole Weapon-Plus idea from Morrison's X-Men with the Weapon X of the past? Like why was Weapon X such a big deal while every other Weapon-Plus seems to be a "one and done" kind of deal (outside of the obvious "Weapon-Plus was a retcon" answer)?

It was the Tenth anniversary. They decided to try and make it extra special.
By the time they create the thirtieth iteration, they will have successfully made Vin Diesel.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think the first one is the Kane pencils. The one below it isn't Aparo, it's Adams.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

I think the first one is the Kane pencils. The one below it isn't Aparo, it's Adams.

Yeah, the first one is from Batman #1, and the Adams face is a trace from "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge!" Also, those first What If joke panels that Binary Badger posted were from What If volume one #34, not volume two.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

It was the Tenth anniversary. They decided to try and make it extra special.
By the time they create the thirtieth iteration, they will have successfully made Vin Diesel.

Fantomex is Weapon XIII. He said as much in his first appearance. Even as a Doctor Who joke I'm not quite sure what you're angling for here.

Crowetron posted:

I know Max Landis is a huge rear end in a top hat, but this really sums up pretty much all my problems with The Joker and Batman.

I don't know about Max Landis being an rear end in a top hat or not. He's defnitely the son of privilege, and he suffers from the curse that all well-articulated men do which is that their sense of sounding right outstrips their capacity to be right, but I don't know about an rear end in a top hat. I'd love to hear evidence though, I'm not particularly fighting for the guy.

Well, aside from the fact that he's the only comics guy I've ever seen willing to fight for Superman and against the horseshit that Batman and the Joker often become but no one seems to mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know about Max Landis being an rear end in a top hat or not. He's defnitely the son of privilege, and he suffers from the curse that all well-articulated men do which is that their sense of sounding right outstrips their capacity to be right, but I don't know about an rear end in a top hat. I'd love to hear evidence though, I'm not particularly fighting for the guy.

There's a lot of anecdotes about him trying lovely PUA poo poo on women and getting super hostile when it doesn't work.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
To be fair, I made the same initial assessment w/r/t Aparo/Adams before second-guessing myself and resorting to Google. I also almost called the Kane pic a Sprang pic perhaps out of wishful thinking.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There's a lot of anecdotes about him trying lovely PUA poo poo on women and getting super hostile when it doesn't work.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. The guy definitely has some manchild issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. The guy definitely has some manchild issues.

Also father is an rear end in a top hat of the first degree.

Dark Horse Presents 31

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 3, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And that's my cue to start reading up on John Landis stories. I probably shouldn't be surprised since the guy basically pioneered the dumb frat movie (not that Animal House isn't awesome), but the only thing I've ever read about him that I found questionable was the Twilight Zone movie deaths. Thanks bobkatt and Lurdiak.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

mind the walrus posted:

Fantomex is Weapon XIII. He said as much in his first appearance. Even as a Doctor Who joke I'm not quite sure what you're angling for here.

He said thirtieth, not thirteenth. He's referencing Diesel's XXX movie.

That is, movie titled XXX. "XXX movie" sounds like something else.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah my bad. Totally dumb on my part. I read gud. :downs:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sefer posted:

He said thirtieth, not thirteenth. He's referencing Diesel's XXX movie.

That is, movie titled XXX. "XXX movie" sounds like something else.

Ding ding, right you are!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Groo #1

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I had to look her up because it seems like LL&L is at most a relic of 90s Wolverine and very early Deadpool, and while I see some similarities I wouldn't be able to tell you if Brand is a rip-off of her.

That said SWORD as a concept and Brand's romance with Beast do make her enough of a worthwhile contribution to the X-Canon on her own, even if her character is very possibly a xerox of a forgotten relic of the Dark Age.

It was just the surprising familiarity that made me think it was the same character rolling in from Deadpool to Astonishing X-men. Both sit on some space station watching for space threats while looking really 90's in their garishly hair color themed space latex suits with matching goggles/black detail.
I don't read a lot of comics though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

mind the walrus posted:

Superman and the Joker meet for the very first time:
I love Joker cycling through all his personas like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Prison Warden posted:

It isn't just asian characters, in comics if you are from the mysterious foreign land of not-America you, maybe 90% of the time have to get powers that are themed around where you come from. T'challa is a Panther guy because he is from Africa. Dust has desert powers, Banshee is.. well... a banshee, Mother of Champions's power is that she gives birth a lot because, hey guys there are a lot of people in China! It's just what happens. But for some reason the American heroes aren't the mighty Buick-Man, Cheeseburger boy, Rich Man (okay a lot are this guy) and Eagle Lad.

The one thing I never got/always surprised me was that for a team comprised of Canadiana or stereotypes, Alpha Flight's name was nothing of the sort.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Really, this sums up Max Landis pretty much perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RWMc-EdDRY

Hell, this video slash idea is a distillation of everything hardcore fans get wrong about comics. Excessive, out of control violence and gore (because it's MATURE!), the obsessive need to work in old ideas at the downside of a proper story (the big reveal at the end only has punch if you're familiar with the source material: a big reveal should work no matter WHO is absorbing the story. And it arguably doesn't have punch anyway because it's being worked in more to happen than as an organic end to the story), ridiculous cynicism and an inability to just let stories be happy and silly instead of grim and terrible and REALISTIC, because drat it, comic books aren't for kids, I'm a grown up, stop making fun of me! True, there's a few good ideas buried in there (the Lois stuff and the Superman/Batman stuff), but it's just caught up in so much self-absorbed morass that it just makes the overall idea look worse in general. It's the kind of thing where a proper editor would go "Okay, not a bad first draft, but still needs a LOT of work", except as the comments show, it's being eaten up by the same clueless hardcores and the same clueless hardcores are running the whole drat comic business.

Le sigh.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 4, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was pretty weird to learn that Landis wrote the Spider-Man fanfic "Shocker: Legit" because I thought it was really cool when I was about 15 or so. In retrospect, yeah, it reflects a lot of what Cornwind Evil mentioned in his post. It's got stuff like Shocker using his gauntlets to rather gorily vibrate the adamantium plate out of Hammerhead's skull and explode Bullseye's testicles, then the main villain is his evil father, who I think taught him safecracking and escape artistry as part of a master plan to kill Galactus or something like that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Metal Loaf posted:

It was pretty weird to learn that Landis wrote the Spider-Man fanfic "Shocker: Legit" because I thought it was really cool when I was about 15 or so. In retrospect, yeah, it reflects a lot of what Cornwind Evil mentioned in his post. It's got stuff like Shocker using his gauntlets to rather gorily vibrate the adamantium plate out of Hammerhead's skull and explode Bullseye's testicles, then the main villain is his evil father, who I think taught him safecracking and escape artistry as part of a master plan to kill Galactus or something like that.

Every super powered person was a result of Shockerdad's evil plan. Also he was going to use the Banner Gamma Bomb to kill Galactus and loot the corpse. It is exceedingly dumb and exceedingly Max Landis.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is that the one where he hooked up with Ms Marvel or is that a different Shocker Saves Everyone and Is Best Buds with Rhino story I'm thinking of?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Prison Warden posted:

But for some reason the American heroes aren't the mighty Buick-Man, Cheeseburger boy, Rich Man (okay a lot are this guy) and Eagle Lad.

Counterpoint, Armadillo and everyone else in the Texas initiative/Rangers. If you hail from the mysterious lands of Not New York you are usually a regional stereotype.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

Counterpoint, Armadillo and everyone else in the Texas initiative/Rangers. If you hail from the mysterious lands of Not New York you are usually a regional stereotype.

Unless you're the Great Lakes Avengers, apparently.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

Is that the one where he hooked up with Ms Marvel or is that a different Shocker Saves Everyone and Is Best Buds with Rhino story I'm thinking of?

I think he shacks up with Black Cat, then his dad kills her, then she comes back in a throwaway line at the end because she made a deal with Mephisto.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

X-Force #120

Doop has nefarious plans for everybody!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wish it'd come up sometime that X-Statix were famous celebrities, and have it turn out they're, in universe, one of the most famous super teams next to the Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WickedHate posted:

I wish it'd come up sometime that X-Statix were famous celebrities, and have it turn out they're, in universe, one of the most famous super teams next to the Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

I don't know, I like the idea that they were one of those many flash-in-the-pan reality-tv phenomenons that had a brief period of tremendous popularity before the audience got bored and moved on to something else. Every so often somebody finds an old magazine and goes,"Oh God remember these guys? I forgot all about them, man I was so stupid back then... didn't they all die or something?"

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I liked that panel sequence a lot, so here is a .gif.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

surc posted:

I liked that panel sequence a lot, so here is a .gif.

You missed the first one where he is reflected in car's window.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I am pretty sure they were only famous when mutants were everywhere. Since they all died and scarlet witch destroyed that community they were just a fad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

And that's my cue to start reading up on John Landis stories. I probably shouldn't be surprised since the guy basically pioneered the dumb frat movie (not that Animal House isn't awesome), but the only thing I've ever read about him that I found questionable was the Twilight Zone movie deaths. Thanks bobkatt and Lurdiak.

Causing the death of two children because of near criminal negligence makes you a giant loving rear end in a top hat. Far more than being a douchebag PUA.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Honestly, I like the idea of put-down-upon Shocker becoming a hero and I have a soft spot for Shocker: Legit but yeah, it's pretty terrible after a re-read or so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gygaxian posted:

Honestly, I like the idea of put-down-upon Shocker becoming a hero and I have a soft spot for Shocker: Legit but yeah, it's pretty terrible after a re-read or so.

Ultimate Shocker is the best Shocker. Well that and terrified Shocker from the 90's cartoon where Spider-Man in the symbiote costume is trying to kill him (I tried to look it up on youtube, but Disney has been purging a poo poo ton of 90's Marvel cartoon clips)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fortunately, Venom driving a truck is still there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyZh_xg22Qk

edit: Listening to Superman's anti-KKK radio show led me to this:

That guy wastes no time getting to his peps. The butler is all "who the heck are you people?!"

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 4, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crowetron posted:

I know Max Landis is a huge rear end in a top hat, but this really sums up pretty much all my problems with The Joker and Batman.

"How did you..."

"Because I'm loving *Superman*, and you're just a gimmicky supervillain. Come back when you have eye beams that can instantly vaporize 99.9995% of all matter and *then* you'll be in my league. ...or you can just wait for this guy named Mxyzptlk to come along and trick him into giving you fifth dimensional powers."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even more than that I just like Superman's total dismissal of the Joker's schitck as pathetic. After witnessing a depressing number of people over multiple decades who idolize the character because of the charm Nicholson and Hamill and Ledger brought to the role, it's really refreshing to have at least one other person in the world look at him and go "meh."

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Fortunately, Venom driving a truck is still there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyZh_xg22Qk

edit: Listening to Superman's anti-KKK radio show led me to this:

That guy wastes no time getting to his peps. The butler is all "who the heck are you people?!"

I wonder when the American ideal switched from black hair to blond hair.

• Locked thread