Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Senkoji, Kanazawa, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Pine Tree, Kanazawa, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Think I already know the answer to this (and won't like it), but what's the cheapest I can get 120 scanned by mail? I've got like 75 rolls staring me in the face, and while I have a V750, the thought of scanning all of them makes me cringe. Have a feeling I'll wind up doing it all myself over the next 6 or so months, but wanted to see what my options were before I started.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Send me the rolls and your scanner and I will do it free. :coal:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Yond Cassius posted:

Film's not even close to that finicky. Refrigeration and that temperature recommendation are for long-term storage, not for a day's (or even week's or month's) shooting. People have been dragging film out into the deserts and jungles of the world for decades. You don't want to cook it more than you have to, but even 40C wouldn't hurt it too much in the short run.

A word of advice though, don't push it too far, especially with exposed film.

I had Kodak 400TX and a roll of Acros, both 35mm, sit around for a month or two in the summer heat. One was in view of a window, the other wasn't - both were still in-camera. The film already had been exposed. When I finally got around to develop it, I got pictures; but with ping-pong ball sized grain. Even on the Acros. Actually, the Acros seemed to have fared worse.

That said, I did the same for 1-2 weeks with other film and noticed no ill effects.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I'm out shooting the film now, and I think heat is going to be the absolute least of my concerns. I'm expecting to get a roll back with skewed horizons and nothing in focus.

Having so much fun doing it, though.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Baron Dirigible posted:

skewed horizons

Unless I'm working on a tripod I gently caress up leveling all the time and have to rotate crop everything. I am not a good photographer.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
well this was my first time developing 4x5, finally got some time to do it. First batch I hosed up, put the sheets in the mod54 the wrong way so you can see the fingering at the top and bottom... still I didn't mind the contrast etc of this picture.... got another batch sitting in the tank now hopefully it turns out a lot better

acros 100, R09 1:100 1 hour semi-stand, scanned & no adjustments

First LF photo. by Alex Gard, on Flickr

I just rang my old college (got kicked out 10 years ago) and asked if I can use their dark room. They seemed fine so thankfully I'll have a place to work in locally.

e: more

newcombe bay, antarctica by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 28, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

So did you sell the Sinar and get a field camera yet, or do you hate yourself? :v:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Nope but got a sweet deal on a toyo to hate myself less.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shoulda just bought a Chamonix.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

4x5 Casey Resupply by Alex Gard, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

eggsovereasy posted:

Unless I'm working on a tripod I gently caress up leveling all the time and have to rotate crop everything. I am not a good photographer.
I gently caress it up even on a tripod, with a bubble level in the hotshoe. Oh well.

I love this. Very much.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

4x5 Sea-ice by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Hp5+ in T-max Dev as I read that HP5+ is no go in R09?

It's very hit & miss for me at the moment, more 'miss' than 'hit' but I'm still having fun despite defiling every bit of film I get my hands on in the developing process

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You're posting really good work, you've managed to keep tone in snow which is no mean feat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hi sludge tank,

that's loving dope keep doing what you're doing.

OK bye.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

Hp5+ in T-max Dev as I read that HP5+ is no go in R09?

It's very hit & miss for me at the moment, more 'miss' than 'hit' but I'm still having fun despite defiling every bit of film I get my hands on in the developing process

HP5+ in Rodnial (R09) is just fine. I particularly like it at 1+75 EI 200.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I've been shooting with a Yashica-d I bought off eBay for $75. I enjoy it but I've had issues with focus and blurriness (particularly since my wife dropped it four feet onto a tile floor).

My dream is to get a Pentax 67 and I may still go that route but my local camera shop has a Med Format camera I haven't seen discussed in this thread. A Rapid Omega 100. I could probably get the whole kit for $500, any thoughts.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Delzuma posted:

My dream is to get a Pentax 67 and I may still go that route but my local camera shop has a Med Format camera I haven't seen discussed in this thread. A Rapid Omega 100. I could probably get the whole kit for $500, any thoughts.

I'm pretty sure those things are *much* cheaper on eBay.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, if you're shelling out $500 bucks buy a p67 kit instead.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
That's a compete koni omega kit though. A wedding photographers workhorse camera. Not a terrible price I guess. A similar p67 will cost you way more.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I think I love black & white now and don't think I want to use any other camera but large format. I'm loving in love. It's been such good fun making the picture to developing the film and all that poo poo, and thanks btw to you guys for the advice and answering my annoying questions and poo poo.

4x5 Wilkes by Alex Gard, on Flickr

e: broken link

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 2, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Velvia 50

Heian Jingu Torii I, Kyoto, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Heian Jingu Torii II, Kyoto, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Just chiming in to say that if you're willing to plunk down $700 for a brand new MF system, $700 will take you very far in terms of buying a Pentax 6x7. You'll even have some left over for film and accessories if you're smart.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Botany Bay/James Cook monument by Alex Gard, on Flickr
I really like fomapan, but I really hate scanning fomapan

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 4, 2014

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just chiming in to say that if you're willing to plunk down $700 for a brand new MF system, $700 will take you very far in terms of buying a Pentax 6x7. You'll even have some left over for film and accessories if you're smart.

It seems like it takes you less far with the Pentax 67 and almost nowhere with the 67II though.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Currently I'm not willing to plunk down $700 for anything but if I can get this setup for $400-500 depending on what I can offer them in trade (their website is awful and that's what I do for a living) I'd be more than happy with it.

I know that P67s come up now and again for $500, in fact I believe one's available in the thread currently. If I go this route though it's more because of the lenses. I know I'd be light on the low end. I'd like to find a wide angle for landscapes and I have no idea what lenses the Omega would use.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

It seems like it takes you less far with the Pentax 67 and almost nowhere with the 67II though.

The 67II really offers minimal improvements over the 67 that aren't even close to worth the change in price.

Sludge Tank posted:

I really like fomapan, but I really hate scanning fomapan

You must really hate dusting your negs because the scans you've posted are grody as hell.

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 4, 2014

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

You can get a nice GW690II for $500-$600. Bigger negatives :getin:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can anyone help me out with some advice regarding a Polaroid back for a Bronica SQ-A? I was thinking of picking this one up

It says the following types of Polaroid Land Pack film can be used:
665, 667, 668, 669, 107, 87, 88

Are these types of film still available easily enough? I'm clueless when it comes to Polaroid.

Also that ASA 75/1000 toggle, does that mean I can only shoot films at that speed?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can anyone help me out with some advice regarding a Polaroid back for a Bronica SQ-A? I was thinking of picking this one up

It says the following types of Polaroid Land Pack film can be used:
665, 667, 668, 669, 107, 87, 88

Are these types of film still available easily enough? I'm clueless when it comes to Polaroid.

Also that ASA 75/1000 toggle, does that mean I can only shoot films at that speed?

It'll work with Fuji's FP-100C. I assume the toggle is for some sort of auto-exposure system and you should ignore it and expose manually.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

It'll work with Fuji's FP-100C. I assume the toggle is for some sort of auto-exposure system and you should ignore it and expose manually.

Great, thanks for the help.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

It's pointless to buy a 67ii unless you're heavily invested in the P67 already. The improvements are minor in the grand scheme of things (autoexposure, matrix metering, and better mirror damping) and the camera is far, far, far more expensive. The 67 is essentially the same camera as the 6x7MLU (only a few metal parts changed to plastic), so there's no reason at all to prefer one or the other. MLU-less bodies are typically a bit cheaper.

Delzuma posted:

Currently I'm not willing to plunk down $700 for anything but if I can get this setup for $400-500 depending on what I can offer them in trade (their website is awful and that's what I do for a living) I'd be more than happy with it.

For some reason the P67 system is subject to HUGE seasonal variations in pricing. Every year around tax time the price of the system jumps up 25-100% depending on the item, then it drops back down a bit later.

Normally you can pick up a body for $150-200, a prism for $75, a 75mm/90mm/105mm for $150-175, and you're good to start. Throw in another $200 for a 55mm or $150 for a 150mm/165mm and you are getting a pretty solid kit.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So I recently decided to start shooting film again and really enjoying the experience so I've decided to make the leap up into medium format.

After looking through all of the different options available to me, I'm leaning towards a Mamiya TLR - something like the C330 or similar. Anyone have any experience with these and can offer any feedback or advice? My main prerequisites are reliability, format (6x6) and to a lesser extent price - I'd rather not go overboard on my first MF purchase.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Unless you're planning on doing a lot of macro work or close-focused shots and need parallax correction, go with the C220, it's cheaper and a lighter than the C330. If you don't need interchangeable lens system, go with a Yashica TLR or something similar, they're significantly smaller and lighter than Mamiya's line of TLRs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

elgarbo posted:

So I recently decided to start shooting film again and really enjoying the experience so I've decided to make the leap up into medium format.

After looking through all of the different options available to me, I'm leaning towards a Mamiya TLR - something like the C330 or similar. Anyone have any experience with these and can offer any feedback or advice? My main prerequisites are reliability, format (6x6) and to a lesser extent price - I'd rather not go overboard on my first MF purchase.

Your request is pretty broad, what will it be used for?

A Rollei is always a solid investment. The Mamiya system has some neat features for close focus, but the Rolleicord is a rock-solid basic TLR. The Rolleiflex also has a TTL focusing prism, which is a killer feature to me at least, but they are a fair bit more expensive than the Rolleicords.

There's also the Bronica SQ series, Kowa Sixes, and of course Hasselblads. I assume a Mamiya 6 is out of your range, but they're the top end in 6x6 rangefinders. You can also always crop later, and there's other cheap offerings in other formats. The Koni Omega is nice, the P67 is nice, the Fuji rangefinders are nice, etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 5, 2014

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

elgarbo posted:

Or, as another alternative, go with a Minolta Autocord.
They are utterly excellent. They also take Rollei's Bay 1 filter so add-ons are (well for TLR standards) abundant.

In my highest resolution scans, the Minolta Autocord sometimes both meets and exceeds both my Planar and Xenotar Rolleiflexes in sharpness.
Now I know about the futility of sharpness-sperging, but I mean as a testament to the amazingly good construction of that TLR.
Also it has the most ergonomic focus mechanism of them all. Furthermore, the most sane film path, which only bends the film *after* it was exposed, probably leading to the above observation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VomitOnLino posted:

Or, as another alternative, go with a Minolta Autocord.
They are utterly excellent. They also take Rollei's Bay 1 filter so add-ons are (well for TLR standards) abundant.

In my highest resolution scans, the Minolta Autocord sometimes both meets and exceeds both my Planar and Xenotar Rolleiflexes in sharpness.
Now I know about the futility of sharpness-sperging, but I mean as a testament to the amazingly good construction of that TLR.
Also it has the most ergonomic focus mechanism of them all. Furthermore, the most sane film path, which only bends the film *after* it was exposed, probably leading to the above observation.

Yeah, the Autocord is really underrated. There's one fatal flaw, the focus lever is made of some poo poo metal that corrodes, so don't force it, clean it if it's stuck.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Your request is pretty broad, what will it be used for?.

Fair point - at this stage it'll primarily be urban and suburban landscapes, potentially some portraiture.

I was drawn to the TLRs for a few reasons - price, waistlevel finders and format. The Mamiya's interchangeable lenses seemed like a bonus, giving it flexibility to change up my shooting in the future, as well as adding bonus points to the reliability column - if the shutter breaks down I could just get a new lens rather than dealing with a whole camera.

However, I genuinely have no idea other than a little bit of internet research so I'm definitely open to all suggestions.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

On the other hand you can find a nice yashica-mat for $100 or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Just a heads up to Brit/UK large format shooters, I'm selling my MPP plus a dozen holders and a Polaroid back in the gear thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=172#post425344440

• Locked thread