Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Rythe posted:

Not a single set was clearance in my area, and we have 3 Walmarts within 15 minutes of each other, this also includes a local Target and TRU. I am kind of disappointed in the lack of clearance sales, this is the one time of year I save up a good chunk of toy money and have a blast buying a bunch of fun sets and a great price.

For at least the past year and a half in canada, sets have rarely been discounted. Last year one of the best discoutns was jabba's palace and very few stores even had any when the mark down started. Most sets are clearing out within the first few months of showing up and the best you can hope for is a 20% sale. 2 years ago it was very different as walmart/toysrus/zellers you could find 35%-50% off starting at least 4-6 weeks before the new wave would show up. I haven't seen that for ages. Target came to canada and discounts but again I haven't seen too much on the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Zellers BOGO sales disappearing are the worst part of the chain shutting down.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Knormal posted:

People voted up a DeLorean again? Do people really think Lego's going to make another DeLorean after having just done one?

Maybe they want them to do it justice instead of the vomit pile which kind of looks like a Delorean but isn't and we totally wanted the cool MOC design instead.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I've noticed that Targets and Walmarts in nicer areas usually have more discounted Lego

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pirate Ken posted:

I've noticed that Targets and Walmarts in nicer areas usually have more discounted Lego

Target near me commonly puts stuff on discount on stuff Lego is retiring.. problem is they never really get much of an inventory so the selection is really bad.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
The two Galactic Titans I got were 50% off, but that was a few weeks ago. Still, Fred Meyer/Smiths/Kroger is usually my go-to for sales and clearance, since that's the only place I seem to get lucky anymore.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Came to visit my mom today and found she had gotten me this a few days ago.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4728-1

5$ at the Salvation army? With all the pieces too? :getin:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Szymanski posted:

I had the Mech and the Titan, not really impressed with the Insectoid stuff. Really want the vermin vaporizer to drop in price.

I picked up the insectoid stuff for cheap on amazon and actually ended up liking it. I feel like the dual function of the mech was somewhat forced.

The vaporizer is also a decent set. They had all (almost all?) the GS sets on clearance an none on display when I was in my lego store earlier this month so I can't imagine they'll be around a lot longer.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I built the Simpson's House.

The colors man, the colors :psyduck:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So, how many of you are planning on rebuilding the Fire Brigade into the Ghostbusters' Firehouse?

Or hoping for an official release?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

RodShaft posted:

So, how many of you are planning on rebuilding the Fire Brigade into the Ghostbusters' Firehouse?

Or hoping for an official release?

There's not going to be an official Ghostbusters firehouse set. :(

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

There's not going to be an official Ghostbusters firehouse set. :(

I can at least hope for a facade and just have to build the rest. They've had 3 Minecraft sets. STOP CRUSHING MY DREAMS!

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
So my son has really taken a liking to building super tiny cars now.

I had picked up this book for him back at Christmas time: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Play-Book-Ideas-Bricks/dp/1465414126/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391369057&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+play I highly recommend it as he is building all sorts of different things out of it (I had borrowed 2 others from the library which were not really that inspiring like this one has been).

So I am thinking of picking up this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Unofficial-Lego-Builders-Book/dp/3868526587/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (the biggest complaint it seems is that it is mostly cars, which is just what I need). However I know we need to get a bunch more "little pieces", so what is the best way about going about that? I would like a huge variety as far as colors and 'shapes' go, so the PAB wall is probably out since they usually only have 2-3 different small bricks.

Are there any sets that contain a lot of little parts? So far I gather that the term is "Micro building", and I tried searching on ebay, but haven't had much luck.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Rathina posted:

So my son has really taken a liking to building super tiny cars now.

I had picked up this book for him back at Christmas time: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Play-Book-Ideas-Bricks/dp/1465414126/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391369057&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+play I highly recommend it as he is building all sorts of different things out of it (I had borrowed 2 others from the library which were not really that inspiring like this one has been).

So I am thinking of picking up this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Unofficial-Lego-Builders-Book/dp/3868526587/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (the biggest complaint it seems is that it is mostly cars, which is just what I need). However I know we need to get a bunch more "little pieces", so what is the best way about going about that? I would like a huge variety as far as colors and 'shapes' go, so the PAB wall is probably out since they usually only have 2-3 different small bricks.

Are there any sets that contain a lot of little parts? So far I gather that the term is "Micro building", and I tried searching on ebay, but haven't had much luck.

If you know the specific pieces you want you could put in an order at https://www.bricklink.com. There are also small 6$ sets that have a small micro vehicle. They come in hard plastic pods.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Maybe they want them to do it justice instead of the vomit pile which kind of looks like a Delorean but isn't and we totally wanted the cool MOC design instead.

Eh, it's just too small a scale to do it right. The model that won also had a lot of issues. Way too boxy compared to a real Delorean. It just looked good in the one photo that was on Cuusoo.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEUhPf54OoU

The new Chima sets are cray cray in the best way. It's like Lego meets Transformers meets the Zords from Power Rangers.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Joramun posted:

The new Chima sets are cray cray in the best way. It's like Lego meets Transformers meets the Zords from Power Rangers.

Oh lordy that's insane! Also can't wait for the spider and scorpion stuff!

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I'm surprised that Lego didn't try to reboot the Adventure line. It seemed popular enough to spawn several iterations, and there isn't much to fill that void of action and storyline. But I guess it could be argued Arctic, Ninjago/Chima and Agents (along with the movie) fill that role.

It would be absolutely fascinating to see how they decide which themes to work on every year.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Pirate Ken posted:

It would be absolutely fascinating to see how they decide which themes to work on every year.

I hope there's one guy that every year is like, "let's bring back Ice Planet!"

(And Spyrius)

(And Blacktron 1)

(And a monorail)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

RodShaft posted:

I hope there's one guy that every year is like, "let's bring back Ice Planet!"

(And Spyrius)

(And Blacktron 1)

(And a monorail)

God DAMMIT Magnus we are NOT doing any more Time Cruisers

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

^^^^^C'mon, you know you'd love it^^^^^

Pirate Ken posted:

I'm surprised that Lego didn't try to reboot the Adventure line. It seemed popular enough to spawn several iterations, and there isn't much to fill that void of action and storyline. But I guess it could be argued Arctic, Ninjago/Chima and Agents (along with the movie) fill that role.

In a way, the Adventure line was a precursor to Lego's got going on with Ninjago and Chima. It had a sort of a narrative, and almost every set featured heroes and villains so that they could be ready to duke it out. The biggest difference was that Adventure was a lot more open and grounded, and it doesn't have any wacky gimmicks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RodShaft posted:

(And Blacktron 1)

I made a Blacktron Bomber during terrible football night.

I mighta gone overboard sticking stuff to it, but it's kind of a disease.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

I made a Blacktron Bomber during terrible football night.

I mighta gone overboard sticking stuff to it, but it's kind of a disease.

Today I built a space tank with Benny driving to shoot down your evil Blacktron Bomber.

My goal was to make something out of bricks I currently owned without using LDD and not order stuff from Bricklink. I have a few issues with it, namely the front is a little ugly, but came out alright.

ltr fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 3, 2014

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

ltr posted:

Today I built a space tank with Benny driving to shoot down your evil Blacktron Bomber.

My goal was to make something out of bricks I currently owned without using LDD and not order stuff from Bricklink. I have a few issues with it, namely the front is a little ugly, but came out alright.

I made a Garbage truck to sweep up the pieces but some jerk took off in it. :arghfist::saddowns:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Pirate Ken posted:

I think Pharoah's Quest was latest spiritual successor to the Adventure line (including, I think, a couple of new versions of old Adventure sets). I loved it, it's probably my favourite line in recent years, but I don't think it was that popular in general. I think you're right that Ninjago/Chima have kind of replaced these themes. I think there's been a big shift from Adventure to Action and the main distinction between the two styles is action sets having an emphasis on conflict over exploration. I'm a sucker for sets that are more about discovery and adventure in hostile environments than the conflict.

It's one of the reasons I'm excited forward to the Actic sets. As part of the City lines it doesn't have to have the conflict based narrative and two factions represented in every set which is pretty much compulsary for the more action orientated lines these days. An exploration or colonization based spaced theme is number one on my Lego wishlist, but unfortunately it's not something I expect to see any time soon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd love a more science-y looking Time Cruisers line. Something like these Arctic-looking sets, but time travel!

Also, the barista may be my new favourite minifig.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The_Doctor posted:

Also, the barista may be my new favourite minifig.

The barista is so great (and the only fig that can pull off that hair piece so far) but the robot pelt hunter wins it for me.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Joramun posted:

My jaw dropped when the goddamn fortress transformed into an eagle so smoothly.
Also, I'm getting a really strong KKnD vibe from it in the best way possible.

I mean, the stuff I grew up with was awesome, but this is amazing.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Taeke posted:

My jaw dropped when the goddamn fortress transformed into an eagle so smoothly.
Also, I'm getting a really strong KKnD vibe from it in the best way possible.

I mean, the stuff I grew up with was awesome, but this is amazing.

Same here. I love how they just go all out with the designs these days, younger me would never even have imagined his kind of stuff. It's amazingly creative.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It reminds me of the sort of things we'd wish we could build as kids as we were pawing through tubs looking for parts to complete the spaceships we were working on.

I'm glad some of us grew up and got hired as designers for Lego.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Joramun posted:

Oh man all those trans pieces on the mammoth :getin:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It's huge.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SaNChEzZ posted:

It's huge.

You forgot to hang Shelob from the upper section.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Joramun posted:

This is the more important video. Starting at 2:45 if the link is wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY2r20qhyaI&t=164s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy cow that was unexpected. That's a heck of a build. :stare:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pirate Ken posted:

What I really want rebooted are Rock Raiders, those were my favorite legos growing up. I even had the lovely RTS game.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'm sorry, but why do I keep hearing about Adventurers and Rock Raiders needing a reboot (and Arctic getting one!), when what we clearly need rebooted is Blacktron, Futuron, and M:Tron?
At least Space Police got a reboot a few years ago, even if they were Space Racists.

I figure Benny's ship is the closest we'll ever get to a Classic Space reboot.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm sorry, but why do I keep hearing about Adventurers and Rock Raiders needing a reboot (and Arctic getting one!), when what we clearly need rebooted is Blacktron, Futuron, and M:Tron?
At least Space Police got a reboot a few years ago, even if they were Space Racists.

I figure Benny's ship is the closest we'll ever get to a Classic Space reboot.

Benny's Spaceship and the Cuusoo Exo Suit for Classic Space.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ltr posted:

This is the more important video. Starting at 2:45 if the link is wrong.

The most important thing about that video is: New Johnny Thunder minifigure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-post from yospos, ol qwerty's Mars rover stop-motion is awesome:

ol qwerty bastard posted:

current mars rover stop motion status: