Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, I'm not losing that hour of my life anymore, so I guess we'll have to disagree on our definitions of the word.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm glad Jack is back, and I'm gonna watch it... But let's not pretend the last two seasons of 24 weren't garbage. My expectations are very, very low.

Saying only the last two seasons were garbage is pretty generous, honestly.
I mean I'm totally gonna watch it just to see how post-9/11 paranoia holds up in the year 2014 if nothing else, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking I won't be watching garbage.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Season 2 was legit good but Season 3 is still my favorite. Chase, Nina, and Saunders were all awesome characters.

Not to mention being the origin of TVIV emoticon :tviv:

zoux posted:

The one where the nuke went off in LA was literally the last episode of 24 that I watched, who died in between then and now?

I'm pretty sure most of the cast not only died, but also came back to life somehow. It's like Dragonball Z except with nukes and bullets instead of energy blasts.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Doug Benson's on @Midnight tonight, so that should be fun!

I liked him in that youtube video about weed. That was him, I think...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MentholsNBeer posted:

I liked him in that youtube video about weed. That was him, I think...
He does like his weed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

He does like his weed.

That "Super High Me" movie? Dumb premise. I've been getting stoned every day for a lot longer than a month - at one point I went something like 4 years with literally only 2 days where I didn't smoke at all. There are people I know who have been high every day for decades.

Mitch Hedberg was much more funny. :smith:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You have to admire doug benson for having a career in comedy without a sense of humor.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah Super High Me was pretty bad. I find Doug Benson funny in other situations but SHM just wasn't any fun.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

precision posted:

That "Super High Me" movie? Dumb premise. I've been getting stoned every day for a lot longer than a month - at one point I went something like 4 years with literally only 2 days where I didn't smoke at all. There are people I know who have been high every day for decades.

Mitch Hedberg was much more funny. :smith:

That sounds expensive!

Also you made me think of-Mitch Hedberg in Super High Me Prequel: Heroin Edition...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, Doug Benson seems like a cool guy, but I always get the impression he's putting the least possible effort into his routines. He relies on the audience laughing because "ha, he's stoned!"

It's always weird to me when I get reminded that, for large chunks of America, "someone is high" is still inherently funny. To me, that's as weird as "person is drunk" being inherently funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fooz posted:

You have to admire doug benson for having a career in comedy without a sense of humor.

He's far from the only one the achieve this feat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Doug Benson's on @Midnight tonight, so that should be fun!

I am enjoying @Midnight more than I thought I would. I love the pointless panel 'Game' shows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

He's far from the only one the achieve this feat.

Colin Quinn and Ned Holness come to mind immediately.

raditts posted:

Well, I'm not losing that hour of my life anymore, so I guess we'll have to disagree on our definitions of the word.

Well put, and now that I know the only decent actor on that pile of flaming garbage is a smug dick I just really don't care anymore. Sorry your show sucks, if it's any consolation Marvel and Disney won't let it get cancelled after 1 season.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am having a blast watching Episodes. My wife was watching and I snuck a few ganders, now it's the first thing I watch when new episodes are waiting. I can't tell if it's LeBlanc parodying himself or what, but I'm enjoying it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Well put, and now that I know the only decent actor on that pile of flaming garbage is a smug dick I just really don't care anymore. Sorry your show sucks, if it's any consolation Marvel and Disney won't let it get cancelled after 1 season.

Gosh, you make one little comment which may be partly in jest and now you're a smug dick. Tough crowd.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Holy loving Christ, NBC's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit tribute is a travesty. Everyone is tiptoeing around the fact that's a mostly irrelevant spank mag and pretending that it's about exotic locations and good photography.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

Gosh, you make one little comment which may be partly in jest and now you're a smug dick. Tough crowd.

Calling people who don't like your boring show losers is not smug?

"No but really there's Z-list Marvel characters you haven't ever heard of coming up, please don't pay attention to the fact that we can't have any of the characters from the movies! I mean it's ok we mentioned The Avengers that one time in passing. Losers."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hahahahaha holy poo poo, The Following. I'm watching a Manic Pixie Dream Girl and some boy bond over their death cult. What is this?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

precision posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo, The Following. I'm watching a Manic Pixie Dream Girl and some boy bond over their death cult. What is this?

The greatest show on TV

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone stabbed their own eyes out in the first season.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
American Horror Story has covered that ground pretty well too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

"No but really there's Z-list Marvel characters you haven't ever heard of coming up, please don't pay attention to the fact that we can't have any of the characters from the movies! I mean it's ok we mentioned The Avengers that one time in passing. Losers."

Yeah, that kinda sounds like something Donald Trump would say about people that didn't watch The Celebrity Apprentice Season 26.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are those James Purefoy masks on sale anywhere?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Wandle Cax posted:

Did you even read the interview? It's not like he was completely kidding or talking about something else and then that just slipped out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Following is basically telling the writers of Sleepy Hollow to write Hannibal.

Maybe it IS the best show on TV.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

Yeah, that quote came across as, at best, incredibly ill-judged. It's not the fault of the audience if the programme does not live up to the premise. It stinks of a basic misunderstanding of the target audience as well. 'Geeks' (stupid umbrella term) aren't some monolithic entity. They are, in this context, pretty much everyone in the 14-40 age group who has even a passing familiarity with comics, cartoons, or action films.

The problem is that there is nothing remarkable about the programme on any level. It is a second-rate Whedon imitation that is almost the dictionary definition of anodyne, and that is evidently not what people wanted.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Further in the interview he talks about Agents of Shield being a slow burn, and I'm sorry I just watched the first two seasons of Nikita. I don't have time for slow burns anymore if there's agents involved.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm amazed that people are still into superheroes, let alone tangential superhero related generic squads.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Fooz posted:

I'm amazed that people are still into superheroes, let alone tangential superhero related generic squads.

I think it's just the evolution of blockbuster action movies, they were big and muscular in the 80s, everyman in the 90s, and now superpowered. It's basically the same story over and over anyways. I hope wizards are next

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 4, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Gregg's being a loving idiot here. I want to believe that he was referring more to people who tuned in thinking Robert Downey Jr. was going to be a recurring guest or something, but at face value, that was just a stupid thing to say. However, if you're going to get defensive over an actor's comments about a show you claim to be no longer interested in, I'm not sure you could be called a winner.

There are a dozen other genre shows that have a better handle on pacing and characterization than SHIELD that demand your attention. I guarantee you, you'll be happier for giving it.

EDIT: Please understand, I totally get the urge, and it's not like I'm a big SHIELD fanboy. I tuned out after the mid-season finale. But the amount of bitching about this show has been so constant...like, if a show is simply "mediocre," by definition it should not take several medium-length posts to hammer that point home. After a while you have to stop complaining about mediocrity, get over whatever missed opportunities there were, and start focusing on something else. That's really what I'm reacting to here, warranted or otherwise.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 4, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
SHIELD's problems have gently caress all to do with slow burns, discovery periods, overarching mysteries, or the Marvel Universe, and everything to do with lovely pacing, dull characters, tepid dialogue, and 80s production values.

And yes, I'm still watching.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I mean, Doug Benson seems like a cool guy, but I always get the impression he's putting the least possible effort into his routines. He relies on the audience laughing because "ha, he's stoned!"

It's always weird to me when I get reminded that, for large chunks of America, "someone is high" is still inherently funny. To me, that's as weird as "person is drunk" being inherently funny.

Getting Doug With High is weed blackface.

Fooz posted:

Superheroes are actually getting fun again because now that Marvel blew their wad with The Avengers people can actually have fun and be goofy instead of churning out safe, identical origin stories that are just advertisements for a blockbuster coming out in two years. And with how ridiculously popular Thor was audiences have shown that sillier comic book stuff can fly, so now we get Guardians of the Galaxy and an Edgar Wright-helmed Ant Man next year.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slamhound posted:

SHIELD's problems have gently caress all to do with slow burns, discovery periods, overarching mysteries, or the Marvel Universe, and everything to do with lovely pacing, dull characters, tepid dialogue, and 80s production values.

And yes, I'm still watching.

But you haven't watched anything from the 80s recently i'm assuming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fooz posted:

Iron Man 3 was the 2nd highest grossing movie of 2013. People still really care about superheroes.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

muscles like this? posted:

Iron Man 3 was the 2nd highest grossing movie of 2013. People still really care about superheroes.

At least Iron Man 3 was really good, unlike The Avengers. I haven't watched Agents of SHIELD but if it's a low-budget Avengers then it's gotta be dire.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Agents of SHIELD is more like a low budget version of the shawarma scene extended to 42 painful minutes every week.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

At least Iron Man 3 was really good, unlike The Avengers. I haven't watched Agents of SHIELD but if it's a low-budget Avengers then it's gotta be dire.

Agents of SHIELD is more like Marvel-ized Buffy (or some other mostly-ensembley sf/f action/comedy/drama show that I'm blanking on right now) in style than anything particularly similar to The Avengers.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am enjoying @Midnight more than I thought I would. I love the pointless panel 'Game' shows.

Maron talked about it with Simon Amstell on his podcast recently. He said Americans don't understand game shows with no stakes and no prizes, when in reality they are just a staging device for improv comedy. I guess that's why we have Hardwick yelling POINTS every 2 seconds. I really wish he'd stop that.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Like the QI Elves, @Midnight needs gremlins or something that dole out points as they see fit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My friend is watching Heroes and she won't listen when I tell her it gets bad. Ali Larter is no Tati-chan :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha I forgot how bad Ali Larter is. So bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

That's why I'm amazed, per my post. Especially since iron man 3 was the movie that convinced me to never see another superhero movie.

• Locked thread