Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
So, WTF should I do about this obnoxious iMessage spam? I've been getting it once or twice a day for months. I've emailed imessage.spam@icloud.com about it (as per Apple technote) over and over again and never got a response or any results. I finally got fed up and emailed tcook@apple.com about it to the same effect.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not bring up their contact details and block them?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
There is no way to block iMessages on the Mac.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm an idiot and thought that was an iOS screenshot

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Xabi posted:

My friend's got a 2011 MacBook Pro that he's putting a new SSD disk into. His plan is to use some sort of Icy Box to clone the old disk, before putting the new disk into the laptop. Will he also need the original CD to install MacOS or will the cloning sort all that out? The reason I'm asking is that he can't find the old CD. Also, is there anything else he needs to remember before he starts this whole project?

Tell him to not worry about finding the original disk. If it's a 2011 model MBP (or even some/all 2010s), he can upgrade the firmware to get Internet Recovery (chances are that he has already done this since I believe it should have come up as an automatic update). He can also use the App Store to download Mavericks and make a USB stick from the Mavericks install app (Terminal-based instructions here, easy to use GUI tool here).

What I'd do: download Mavericks, make a USB installer stick, boot from it, select Disk Utility from the menu instead of installing, use Disk Utility's restore function to clone the old drive to the new, shut the computer down, swap the drives, done.

And yeah, he doesn't need to actually perform an OS install. OS X is easily cloneable so long as the destination disk has enough space. There are a couple reasons why I'm suggesting booting from a USB installer to perform the clone, though. One is that cloning the drive you're presently booted from is a bit iffy, since the running OS could change files after they've been copied. The other is that if anything goes wrong, a USB installer stick is a very useful tool to have.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks a lot!

The cloning didn't work though, as the new SSD disk is smaller than the original hard drive. So, he cloned the old hard drive to an external one. The plan now is to install Mavericks onto the new SSD with a USB stick, and then use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to copy the old stuff from the external hard drive onto the SSD.

Does that seem right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nask26 posted:

I've got a 2011 MBP 8gb of ram and an SSD running Mavericks. If I open up my dropbox folder in finder its really fast and acts how I would expect it too. If I open any app ( to open a word document for example ) and navigate to the dropbox folder it takes forever for anything to show up. It's not only the dropbox folder and it's not every single time but its probably 50/50. Any ideas what this could be?
(First update Dropbox and OS X and whatever first to try to eliminate the possibility of older version issues)

That might have to do with the DNS issue I mentioned somewhere before. One simple test, what happens when you click this?: http://backups.backupdb It should quickly just go to a "can't find server" type dialog/page. If there's a delay or goes anywhere else it means your DNS is redirecting some stuff and as a side effect loving with OS X. Some ISP's DNS servers do this, OpenDNS might do it by default still but I've heard it can be turned off. I think Google's works properly (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

If it's not that I have no clue :shobon:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

If he's got too much stuff to fit on the SSD he's going to have to prune some files no matter what he does, but otherwise that's a good plan.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

BobHoward posted:

If he's got too much stuff to fit on the SSD he's going to have to prune some files no matter what he does, but otherwise that's a good plan.
Yeah, that's been taken care of. We thought that would be enough to clone the stuff, but apparently it's the size of the disk you want to clone that matters, not how much of the space you've used up.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Xabi posted:

Yeah, that's been taken care of. We thought that would be enough to clone the stuff, but apparently it's the size of the disk you want to clone that matters, not how much of the space you've used up.

Oh, that. I forgot to tell you an important detail. Unfortunately Apple provides no hints about this in the user interface. If you use Disk Utility's restore function on whole HDDs, it does a blind copy of every block (partition table and all), in which case the destination must be at least as large as the source. But if you specify a partition as the source instead, it can detect the filesystem and resize it as it copies. This lets it copy to a smaller destination as long as there's enough space for the files.

So, you'd want to partition the destination drive first, then do a partition clone. But now I realize there's a flaw with that too. Before Lion, this worked perfectly, but as of Lion Apple has begun installing a second hidden Recovery partition. If you clone just the main partition the computer will boot and work fine, but you won't be able to boot into the Recovery HD and you won't be able to turn FileVault 2 on (it requires a recovery partition).

If your friend doesn't care about FV2 and doesn't mind dedicating a USB key to the installer (which does everything the Recovery partition can), a clone will work. Otherwise just go ahead and perform an OS install and use Migration Assistant. It'll get him to the same place in the end, just a bit slower (the Disk Utility clone method is faster because it's a block copy, even when resizing a partition).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks again!

I have another question: When I got a new MacBook I tried to use the Migration Assistant to move over all the stuff from the old Mac. However, at least as far as I could understand, MI didn't let me choose which of the programs I wanted to migrate (I didn't want everything moved over). I think this was a feature before in earlier Mac OSs, where you got a list of all programs installed on the old Mac, with the option to move just the ones you chose. Is this not possible anymore?

nisroc
Feb 20, 2011

Xabi posted:

Thanks again!

I have another question: When I got a new MacBook I tried to use the Migration Assistant to move over all the stuff from the old Mac. However, at least as far as I could understand, MI didn't let me choose which of the programs I wanted to migrate (I didn't want everything moved over). I think this was a feature before in earlier Mac OSs, where you got a list of all programs installed on the old Mac, with the option to move just the ones you chose. Is this not possible anymore?

You can do that if you use Carbon Copy Cloner(google). It will allow you to select individual files and app's.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

How the heck do I attach applecare to my macbook?

I stupidly bought it not through the thing where you put in your serial number.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

japtor posted:

(First update Dropbox and OS X and whatever first to try to eliminate the possibility of older version issues)

That might have to do with the DNS issue I mentioned somewhere before. One simple test, what happens when you click this?: http://backups.backupdb It should quickly just go to a "can't find server" type dialog/page. If there's a delay or goes anywhere else it means your DNS is redirecting some stuff and as a side effect loving with OS X. Some ISP's DNS servers do this, OpenDNS might do it by default still but I've heard it can be turned off. I think Google's works properly (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

If it's not that I have no clue :shobon:

Thank you! Opendns does about 2 redirects before showing it's own error page, switched to google dns and hopefully that fixes it. I didn't think that it was trying to connect each time I opened a dialog box.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How the heck do I attach applecare to my macbook?

I stupidly bought it not through the thing where you put in your serial number.

The agreement itself should have a serial number that you can enter here: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/applecare/register/

I think buying applecare together with the product is a stupid idea, anyway. What if you lose or break it in a non-warranty covered way it in the first year? Applecare wasted in that case

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My PIN is 4826 posted:

The agreement itself should have a serial number that you can enter here: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/applecare/register/

I think buying applecare together with the product is a stupid idea, anyway. What if you lose or break it in a non-warranty covered way it in the first year? Applecare wasted in that case

I guess my second/actual question is whether or not they're going to mail it to me? I got an email saying it should be here next week but that's kind of weird for a product that has no legit reason to be not-digital.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I guess my second/actual question is whether or not they're going to mail it to me? I got an email saying it should be here next week but that's kind of weird for a product that has no legit reason to be not-digital.

They mail you the registration details for it. Yes it could have been completely digital.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

They mail you the registration details for it. Yes it could have been completely digital.

Well, that's terrible, I should I have gone in and bought it at the store.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
Talk me into/out of buying a new mac-book pro. I'm looking to make my work environment a little bit more mobile. My work station at the moment is a windows 7 two monitor set up with a separate dedicated linux box for hosting an apache dev system (Php/mysql/etc.)

I'm looking at this 13" Macbook on amazon.

I envisioned getting a dock and running the two existing DVI monitors I have from the Thunderbolt ports. I was also imagining running virtual machines for both my windows and my linux system so that I could basically just hit the ground running. Would those system specs be enough to do that? Basically I run these programs in windows. Putty (for the ssh tunnel and remote server subversion updates), vim, chrome/firefox/internet explorer, and MysqlWorkbench or whatever it's called. Can someone comment on a similar anecdotal experience?

Lastly, if I do buy this system, should it be through amazon? Should I really pay $250 for what looks like an extended warranty?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yeah it'll handle your workflow like a champ.

I recommend getting AppleCare for any non-desktop product. Way too many variables at play to make sure the mobile stuff stays reliable years down the road.

Use AppleInsider's price guide to find the cheapest prices (has a tab for mac + applecare too)
http://prices.appleinsider.com

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The potential problem there is RAM. 8GB isn't a lot to run two VMs plus the host OS X. Keep in mind that the new Retina machines have Iris/Iris Pro integrated graphics, which eats up to 1GB on its own.

I think that for the 13" 16GB RAM is only available as configure-to-order, might not be easy to get that through Amazon.

edit: I have never bought AppleCare and have never been burned by not doing so, but many swear by it. You can delay buying it till the original warranty is about to run out.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 4, 2014

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
Yes, the memory was something I was concerned about. That link for insider is awesome. Thanks.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

I recommend getting AppleCare for any non-desktop product.

My first Mac was a late 2009 27" iMac. After replacing the SuperDrive, the Hard Drive and the entire display (cloudy mess in the top right corner) I am very glad I went with Apple Care.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Legdiian posted:

My first Mac was a late 2009 27" iMac. After replacing the SuperDrive, the Hard Drive and the entire display (cloudy mess in the top right corner) I am very glad I went with Apple Care.
My 2010 27" iMac has a similar story:
I'm definitely glad that I got AppleCare. Also that was the second time the LCD was replaced. I don't think I have the invoice for the previous repair anymore.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Considering that AppleCare costs $169 for iMacs, you came out ahead on that deal.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Well, my friend' run into a strange, strange problem when he tried to put in the new SSD disk in his MacBook. The plan was to install from a bootable USB stick with Mavericks, and later use Setup or Migration Assistant to move over the stuff from the old hard drive.

After the installation, the computer won't start up if he reboots, only if he shuts it completely off and then turn it on. If he just reboots, the dreaded "blinking" folder shows up - indicating that Mavericks can't find a bootable drive. We've looked at pretty much every thing twice: the cable's fine, we've tried installing several times, we've tried to repair the OS (but then the disk won't show up in Disk Utility), so something's obviously not right. Is the new SSD hosed? It's a Corsair Force GS btw.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xabi posted:

Well, my friend' run into a strange, strange problem when he tried to put in the new SSD disk in his MacBook. The plan was to install from a bootable USB stick with Mavericks, and later use Setup or Migration Assistant to move over the stuff from the old hard drive.

After the installation, the computer won't start up if he reboots, only if he shuts it completely off and then turn it on. If he just reboots, the dreaded "blinking" folder shows up - indicating that Mavericks can't find a bootable drive. We've looked at pretty much every thing twice: the cable's fine, we've tried installing several times, we've tried to repair the OS (but then the disk won't show up in Disk Utility), so something's obviously not right. Is the new SSD hosed? It's a Corsair Force GS btw.
You're not the first to encounter this with a Force GS:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=678024

Sounds like the cable might be bad. Depending on the model, that's not an unusual failure.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Out of curiosity, does that mean they bill labor at $39/hr? Or does that work take more/less than an hour?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Ninja Rope posted:

Out of curiosity, does that mean they bill labor at $39/hr? Or does that work take more/less than an hour?

39 regardless of the amount of time spent.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any ideas why selecting certain folders (Desktop and Downloads, mainly) causes my open dialogue to spin like crazy and take forever to view files? Neither folder is crowded with stuff.

I do have four NTFS volumes, but I don't think that's it.

EDIT: It seems to be selecting things from the Favorites menu that causes the slowdown. Going to the same folder's path manually it appers.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 5, 2014

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I've been using PuTTy on my Windows desktop PC with a wired connection to connect to an Ubuntu box on my local network, and PuTTy runs just like a local terminal would. When I hit the arrow keys to go through previous commands, or to move the cursor in a line, it does it with no noticeable delay. On my MacBook over wifi on the same network, using Terminal + ssh has a delay. It's probably only a few hundred milliseconds, but it's noticeable enough to feel sluggish and unpleasant. It's especially bad when I hold down an arrow key to move the cursor through a line. I haven't changed any default settings in PuTTy or ssh on this, so is this lag due to differences in settings, or just like the latency from wifi?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Any ideas why selecting certain folders (Desktop and Downloads, mainly) causes my open dialogue to spin like crazy and take forever to view files? Neither folder is crowded with stuff.

I do have four NTFS volumes, but I don't think that's it.

EDIT: It seems to be selecting things from the Favorites menu that causes the slowdown. Going to the same folder's path manually it appers.
Quoting myself from above cause you might have the same issue as the previous guy:

japtor posted:

(any gibberish fake URL should do too)

tractor fanatic posted:

I've been using PuTTy on my Windows desktop PC with a wired connection to connect to an Ubuntu box on my local network, and PuTTy runs just like a local terminal would. When I hit the arrow keys to go through previous commands, or to move the cursor in a line, it does it with no noticeable delay. On my MacBook over wifi on the same network, using Terminal + ssh has a delay. It's probably only a few hundred milliseconds, but it's noticeable enough to feel sluggish and unpleasant. It's especially bad when I hold down an arrow key to move the cursor through a line. I haven't changed any default settings in PuTTy or ssh on this, so is this lag due to differences in settings, or just like the latency from wifi?
Never thought about it cause I never used anything else, but I've noticed a delay on remote connections as far as I can remember.

...except when I tried just now to make sure, both wired machines but I swear I've had the lagginess with them before. I haven't had a notebook in years, although I guess I have noticeable lag when using SSH clients on iOS to connect to my Mac. Can you just test by plugging the MB in or do you have one of the newer ones without an ethernet jack?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

tractor fanatic posted:

is this lag due to differences in settings, or just like the latency from wifi?

Almost certainly the latter, I don't think there's any settings to screw this up.

If you don't have a way to connect wired ethernet to the Mac, you can try loopback ("ssh localhost") to see what SSH is like without any physical network latency. Unless there's something badly wrong, it should feel exactly like a normal terminal window.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

After I created a guest account, I've got my name up in the upper right corner whenever I'm on the regular account. I've since deleted the guest account, but my name's still up there. How do I remove it? It fucks up what used to be a nice upper right corner.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Either Command+click drag it off, or disable the fast user switching menu bar item under System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 5, 2014

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

I would be surprised if there is a perceivable difference between wired and wireless throughput for ssh/text on a local network. You can test it with iperf. On the Ubuntu box:

iperf -fm -p12345 -i1 -s

And then on Windows/Mac:

iperf -fm -i1 -c remote.host -p12345

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am kind of a mac newbie, but could use some help dealing with a presentation issue. I have a new macbook pro which I am hooking up to a projector and controlling via interactive whiteboard. My goal is to be able to present slideshows using mathematica.

Mathematica's slideshow navigation toolbar sits at the very top of the screen, and I can't figure out how to actually move it. The top-center of the screen is absolutely the most irritating place to put a slideshow navigation tool, as it requires me to place my fat rear end right in front of the projected screen and reach up to change to the next slide. Ideally, I could have a button off to the side of the screen I could simply tap.

PageUp and PageDown keyboard commands will also switch from slide to slide. Is there any way I can get movable on-screen buttons that will send that keypress when I click them? Basically, I am looking for something like an on-screen keyboard, with with only page up and page down.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Toe Rag posted:

I would be surprised if there is a perceivable difference between wired and wireless throughput for ssh/text on a local network. You can test it with iperf. On the Ubuntu box:

iperf -fm -p12345 -i1 -s

And then on Windows/Mac:

iperf -fm -i1 -c remote.host -p12345

I haven't tried iperf yet, but I did ping the server 50 times from both my MacBook and my Android tablet, and average time on the tablet is 20ms with a stddev of 45, while the MacBook has an average of 145ms with a stddev of 100.

edit: I guess the ping latencies are because the wifi driver slows things down in low power or something. ping -f gives me 1.2ms average times.

tractor fanatic fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 6, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tippis posted:

The mouse is an insanely inefficient input device for mass manipulation of listed items. The only thing that is worse is bash, since it requires entire commands rather than gestures — it's only advantage is in batching those commands. So no, I'd rather have a keyboard-based file manager that is quick and efficient and, for that purpose, built around the quickest input device available.

Tab completion is your friend and it makes bash incredibly efficient, especially if you've set up loads of bash tab completion defaults.

edit: brew install bash-completion

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

duck monster posted:

Tab completion is your friend and it makes bash incredibly efficient, especially if you've set up loads of bash tab completion defaults.

edit: brew install bash-completion

You can also make aliases for frequently used commands, turning long commands into a couple of characters.