Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Marley Wants More posted:

"But if you just write down the path to the defrag utility for me I can't murder you when you get there and make your skin into a body suit!"

Live-action STDH: As I type this someone is telling me about someone they know knowing someone who named his daughter "Shithead", pronounced "She-TAY-ad". (STH: It was in response to me laughing at an expense report restaurant receipt which states the server was "Shiteya".)

Edit: She got called out on what an old joke that is. She's insisting that, in her case, it's true.

I think Le-a, pronounced "Le-dash-uh," is the number #1 most common BS name I've heard. I've met at least a half dozen people who have insisted they directly knew or knew of someone with that name.

I'm mostly willing to accept that one or two of these silly names exist throughout the world, but everyone always wants to be a part of the story. Also, good luck having any conservation about silly names that doesn't devolve into "white people do this, but black people do this!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

I am consistently surprised by peoples' willingness to spout STDH in public. Like, I understand the anonymity of the internet emboldening people, but if you get caught in real life everyone you know is going to think you're an idiot.
One of my mom's friends (who is a teacher) once tried to claim that there were two kids at the school she taught named Male and Female (pronounced "Molly" and "Fa-molly").

Hey man, I legit went to school with a guy named "Cloud Dragon".
:colbert:

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jan 30, 2014

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Look at that, he's holding a packet of sausages! It totally happened...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

hallo spacedog posted:

But then you'd be letting our fat-phobic society erase your identity as a proud healthy fat person.

Which would be a real thing if only the vast majority of the fat people in question lived remotely healthy lifestyles.

"What? I put lettuce on my Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese. That's like a whole salad, right? Also I walk next door to the Burger King, so that's exercise."

Fat-shaming? No. Ridiculous disregard for personal health shaming? Hell yes, shame those tubby fuckers.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Squalitude posted:

It would be a good joke if...

Nah, it wouldn't.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I was sitting for too long before I realised Richmond is probably a cigarette brand. I had no idea why some kid would get pissed off at receiving an 8 pack instead of a 10 pack... Or why he would have to pay someone older to buy them for him.

It's too early for this poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think it's "kid under 18 asked me to buy cigarettes, instead I got him a pack of sausages with the same brand name hahahahahaha aren't I witty"

And then somehow holding onto the sausages is proof.

(under 18 kids can't buy cigarettes in the US, dunno about the rest of the world)

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

silvergoose posted:

(under 18 kids can't buy cigarettes in the US, dunno about the rest of the world)

The story's set in the UK and under-18s can't buy cigarettes there either. That might be the one plausible part of the story.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

dijon du jour posted:

I am consistently surprised by peoples' willingness to spout STDH in public. Like, I understand the anonymity of the internet emboldening people, but if you get caught in real life everyone you know is going to think you're an idiot.
One of my mom's friends (who is a teacher) once tried to claim that there were two kids at the school she taught named Male and Female (pronounced "Molly" and "Fa-molly").

:monocle: Wow, your mother and my mother must have the same friend. What are the odds?

In her version, it was 1960s Appalachia, so at least it wasn't "black people, amiright?"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

hyperhazard posted:

:monocle: Wow, your mother and my mother must have the same friend. What are the odds?

In her version, it was 1960s Appalachia, so at least it wasn't "black people, amiright?"

There is a very patient young woman at our local Vons named 'Latrina'. I think she'd like to strangled her mother.

How about a nice cuppa?

quote:

A Nice Hot Cup Of Karma
Coffee Shop | UK | Bad Behavior, Food & Drink

(I work in a small sandwich shop owned by my parents. We are famous locally for giving great value for money. It is Saturday morning and I am on my own. A customer walks in.)

Me: “Good morning, sir. How can I help you?”

Customer: “How much is a tea?”

Me: “£1.”

Customer: “And how much do you get?”

(I am a little taken aback by this, but I show him a cup. It’s roughly the same dimensions as a standard mug.)

Customer: “That’s f****** ridiculous! Are you trying to f****** rip us all off!?”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but I don’t know what to say. We have the cheapest tea in the area that uses proper milk. I don’t make the prices!”

(At this point a regular walks in.)

Customer: “I don’t care! You don’t f****** know anything. Get me your godd*** manager. Do you know who I am?”

Regular: “Excuse me? You shouldn’t swear at her, or call her stupid. She’s been serving me for a year now and she’s never let me down once!”

Customer: *not looking at him or paying much attention* “Yeah, whatever, mate. Who the f*** do you think you are?”

Regular: “Your boss’ husband.”

(The customer turns, finally notices who the regular is, and runs out. I thank my regular by giving him a free plated breakfast. It later turns out that the customer was fired, ironically for poor customer service!)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This barista, in a year of serving me, has never let me down.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

This barista, in a year of serving me, has never let me down.

Every single time I ordered a tea, by god, I got that tea.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This thread has ruined actual story telling for me. Someone on TFR posted a pretty rad video of an old British Commando talking about his knife. British Commando knives are pretty distinctive and iconic. He had some terrifying accounts of killing sentries with it. He finished with a story of a dispute he'd had with a fellow recruit. They'd been discussing how you use the knife (forward grip vs. reverse grip) and he'd told the other guy that he knew how to counter the reverse grip, and ended up breaking the guys arm to prove it. The broken arm guy was then kicked out for not having faith in the training methods. All I could think of was this thread. All I could imagine was someone's arm getting broken while they were both drunk, and then that guy being booted for something else, only for the old commando to make it into him being rad.
You've ruined the concept of narrative for me.

EDIT: forgot to include the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

There is a very patient young woman at our local Vons named 'Latrina'. I think she'd like to strangled her mother.

She changed it. It used to be Shithouse.

Good change, good change!

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This account of a Minnesota band purchasing an RV. It's actually pretty funny (raccoons! medical waste! fire!), but almost certainly fictitious.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

I'm disappointed. Skimming that quickly made me think they got the appropriate response to drawing that on the board: a cold "gently caress you."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thinky Whale posted:

I'm disappointed. Skimming that quickly made me think they got the appropriate response to drawing that on the board: a cold "gently caress you."
I thought the reply on it was someone calling them out, was similarly let down.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

Those darn nerdy substitute teachers, always threatening to kiss their students.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Squalitude posted:

This is a thing that happens though. Maybe not the sausages bit, but dad bought chuppa chups for kids who asked him when I was a kid. Now that I'm an adult though, I only get asked for weed money or lighters when I walk through the park between home and the shops by the 14 year olds who sit in the storm water drain sniffing deodourant all day.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I'm pretty sure those Doctor Who circles aren't an actual language that you can write "gently caress you" in, but whatever.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apparently (and unsurprisingly) some people have made up rules for the Doctor Who alphabet. It doesn't seem to be what they use on the show, just some spergs spergin', and they don't seem to agree with each other. None of the ones that came up in my quick Google search seem to allow what she wrote to say "gently caress you", pretty sure she just drew some circles.

http://www.shermansplanet.com/gallifreyan

I particularly like the "crazy person's manifesto" look of this person's instructions.
http://cbettenbender.deviantart.com/gallery/33798145

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Gallifreyan follows letters
and not sounds.
Congratulations on inventing a writing system that requires another writing system to work at all.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

quote:

Found this note at my front door attached to a 12-pack of Corona's...

I don't really doubt the premise, it's just the specific mention of Reddit that nudges it into the realm of stdh.

And from the comments, we get this gem:

quote:

I once hosed the wrong twin. Found out halfway through when she said pound it like you pound my sister! I finished in her and then played some Mario Kart. I wasn't about to stop.
Of course 99% of the responses are a bunch of back-pounding sycophants in one huge circlejerk of gullibility.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Congratulations on inventing a writing system that requires another writing system to work at all.

Fun fact: the Circular Gallifreyan alphabet is made up out of whole cloth by the internet.

Like, the STYLE of writing shows up on the show but there were never any actual rules to it. Internet CG generators just... made it up. It's so bizarre.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I took GGG to mean "good, giving, and game" initially and wondered what dangerous fetish the chick in question had.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Does it stand for Good Guy Greg?

It does, doesn't it. :cripes:

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

hyperhazard posted:

Does it stand for Good Guy Greg?

It does, doesn't it. :cripes:

Yes, yes it does.

I prefer to imagine it means Gregarious Ginormous Greg.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
I came across this ridiculous "Book of Body Language" today, which was pretty much just copy pasted text (without author credit) from the well known Alan Pease book of similar name, and had this gem on the first page after an explanation that ladies possess dark divining powers in the non verbal field because they know how to communicate with babies.

quote:

Body language is easier to fake with men than with women because, overall, men aren't good readers of body language.

The Lying Job Applicant

Some time ago, a man had been interviewed who was explaining why he had quit his last job. He told us that there had been insufficient future opportunity available to him and that it was a hard decision to leave as he got on well with all the staff there. A woman conducting one of the interviews said she had an 'intuitive feeling' that the applicant was lying and that he had negative feelings about his former boss, despite the applicant's continual praising of his boss. During a review of the interview on video, it was noticed each time the applicant mentioned his former boss a split second sneer appeared on the left-hand side of his face. Often these contradictory signals will flash across a person's face in a fraction of a second and are missed by an untrained observer. His former boss was called and the discovery was made that the applicant had been fired for dealing drugs to other employees. As confidently as this applicant had tried to fake his body language, his contradictory micro-gestures had undercut his credibility with the woman running the interview.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

Ambystoma posted:

I came across this ridiculous "Book of Body Language" today, which was pretty much just copy pasted text (without author credit) from the well known Alan Pease book of similar name, and had this gem on the first page after an explanation that ladies possess dark divining powers in the non verbal field because they know how to communicate with babies.

"Nice to meet you Mr Smith, please take a seat, I just need to see your resume, credentials did you bring your academic transcript?
Oh and this interview will be recorded so we can monitor your nervous moments in pain staking detail
Would you like some water?"

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Revenge fantasies are my favorite STDH.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Loki's brand of trickery is usually a bit more hardcore than that, crafting yourself a The Goonies jacket at best qualifies as the equivalent of hiding a whoopee cushion on Baldr's chair.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

NoUU posted:

I'm imagining how the goonies jacket thing would have actually gone down in real life and it makes me laugh.

And Merrells are ugly, they aren't meant to be stylish they are a utility shoe.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A treacherous, greedy catholic Patrician and Holy Roman Elector was teaching a class on Pope Innocent III, a known heretic.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship the Pope and accept that Catholicism is the one and only faith founded by Jesus Christ, even greater than Nestorianism!”

At this moment, a brave, Greek, Varangian soldier who had killed over 1500 Turks and understood the legitimacy of the Eastern Roman Empire and fully supported all its economic, social and military reforms stood up and held up a map of the Holy Land

"Who should own this land, Brutus?"

The arrogant Venetian smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “The crusaders, you stupid heretic”

”Wrong. Its been over 2000 years since Alexander the Great conquered it. If it was not owned by Arabs, and Catholics, as you say, should own the land... then the crusaders should have conquered Jerusalem by now."

The Patrician was visibly shaken, and dropped his ducats and copy of the Roman Misal. He stormed out of the room crying those ironic catholic tears. The same tears catholics cry for “the Crusaders” (who today live in such luxury that most bathe daily). There is no doubt that at this point our Patrician, Enrico Dandolo, wished he had been Orthodox and supported the Komnenoi struggle against the Turks. He wished so much that he had the Imperial Sword to kill himself from embarrassment, but he himself had pawned it off to the Capetians!

The students applauded and all applied for Roman citizenship that day and accepted Manuel Komnenos as their Basileus. A double-headed eagle named “Byzantium” flew into the room and perched atop the Hagia Sophia and shed a tear on the chalk board. Epitaph of Seikilos was sung several times, and Constantine the Great himself showed up and converted all Catholics to Orthodoxy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No marriage line thrown in at the end?

Tidy Flea
May 2, 2013

NoUU posted:

"Exactly how I got the name I will explain now."
"I was a loner, no friends, no social life."
"A jock, good at sports, no intelligence, couldn't comprehend math."

Is this Perd Hapley's origin story? Also, where did the toy spider come from? He makes it sound like he didn't know it was there.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

krissycokl posted:

Also, where did the toy spider come from? He makes it sound like he didn't know it was there.

Goonies Jacket works in mysterious ways.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

deadly_pudding posted:

Goonies Jacket works in mysterious ways.

Didn't you read it? He explains that he "Don't really remember what I built." He was in such a fog of rage that he was building things into his jacket subsuperconsciously. He's inhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nanomashoes posted:

A treacherous, greedy catholic Patrician and Holy Roman Elector was teaching a class on Pope Innocent III, a known heretic.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship the Pope and accept that Catholicism is the one and only faith founded by Jesus Christ, even greater than Nestorianism!”

At this moment, a brave, Greek, Varangian soldier who had killed over 1500 Turks and understood the legitimacy of the Eastern Roman Empire and fully supported all its economic, social and military reforms stood up and held up a map of the Holy Land

"Who should own this land, Brutus?"

The arrogant Venetian smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “The crusaders, you stupid heretic”

”Wrong. Its been over 2000 years since Alexander the Great conquered it. If it was not owned by Arabs, and Catholics, as you say, should own the land... then the crusaders should have conquered Jerusalem by now."

The Patrician was visibly shaken, and dropped his ducats and copy of the Roman Misal. He stormed out of the room crying those ironic catholic tears. The same tears catholics cry for “the Crusaders” (who today live in such luxury that most bathe daily). There is no doubt that at this point our Patrician, Enrico Dandolo, wished he had been Orthodox and supported the Komnenoi struggle against the Turks. He wished so much that he had the Imperial Sword to kill himself from embarrassment, but he himself had pawned it off to the Capetians!

The students applauded and all applied for Roman citizenship that day and accepted Manuel Komnenos as their Basileus. A double-headed eagle named “Byzantium” flew into the room and perched atop the Hagia Sophia and shed a tear on the chalk board. Epitaph of Seikilos was sung several times, and Constantine the Great himself showed up and converted all Catholics to Orthodoxy.

Nice take.

• Locked thread