Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rawdog pozfail posted:

Never ever watch Crowsnest ever.

As some one who made this mistake, I can support this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Calling any sequence in Phantasmagoria 2 a puzzle is extremely generous.

What about that puzzle of goop and interdimensional boogers or whatever that was at the end?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Went and saw Viy 3D because, well, how could I resist? Turns out it's a sequel, not a remake, and it turns the story into a Sleepy Hollow sort of spooky fairy tale, only with a messier script. First half of the movie is a complete mess; they establish ties with the original Soviet film in very clumsy ways and also introduce the new, extremly implausible main character. There's no identifiable antagonist and no conflict, you have zero reason to care about anything that happens. But later a mystery plot of some sort begins to take shape. Nothing too fancy, but much of the aimless stuff from the beginning gets addressed, and things get in motion at least. It is, of course, never scary; the CG-fests of demon invasions are more slapstick than anything else. The most unsettling part is the hairstyles of the villagers. That poo poo will haunt my dreams.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

woodenchicken posted:

The most unsettling part is the hairstyles of the villagers. That poo poo will haunt my dreams.

Wow, Skrillex has aged terribly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Drunkboxer posted:

What about that puzzle of goop and interdimensional boogers or whatever that was at the end?

Touché. Also that slide puzzle on the door of the S&M club. You know the club, it has three guys dancing in front of it.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

rawdog pozfail posted:

Never ever watch Crowsnest ever.

I thought it was a lot of fun.

I'm fairly sure the characters are written to be as useless and ineffectual as possible, to the point that the viewer ends up rooting for the cannibal hillbillies. I'm thinking specifically of the scene where the really annoying whiny girl gets run over unexpectedly by the RV, it's such a great moment of slapstick.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How's Devil's Due?

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Kvlt! posted:

How's Devil's Due?

Very generic and doesnt add much to a dying (sub?) genre; but it does have one of my favorite FF scares.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

How's Devil's Due?

It's bad. Definitely not worth paying theater prices.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It does do something fairly new that helps explain the amount of found footage though, that was nice.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've kinda come around to found footage, because now I really want to see some GoPro found footage movies. That segment in VHS 2 was pretty cool.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Zwabu posted:

It's bad. Definitely not worth paying theater prices.

What about for "$5 Movie Night"?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

temple posted:

I watched the Phantasm movies over the summer....

1st one, good movie if you like the characters.
2nd one, almost a direct continuation of the story. Very slow but provides some resolution.
3rd one, bad. Not worse than most movies from that time but it gets weird and you just have to like the series to watch it.
4th one, weird. All weird. What is the series about any more? You realize you have invested so much time into these characters and the same ideas are recycled since the 1st movie. Talking about the series is far more fun than watching it. Watch the first one and walk away IMO.

Actually Phantasm III is the best one if only for the way it ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxG8ALGoiLU_&t=15s

It's not the best one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It does do something fairly new that helps explain the amount of found footage though, that was nice.

What did it do?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I re watched The Blair Witch Project last night for about the fifth time and have finally concluded that it's the best horror movie of the 90s.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I absolutely 100% disagree with you. There are plenty of great ideas, and even a few truly inspired moments, but there's so much chaff bogging down the wheat that there's no way the film is as good as it always believed it was. While I can appreciate the improvisational manner of the script, endless wandering filled with swearing because the actors didn't know what else to say does not make for entertainment. If they had replaced the filler with more creepy moments, it could be in my opinion a real classic instead of an interesting experiment that ultimately coasted on its own novelty.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Choco1980 posted:

I absolutely 100% disagree with you. There are plenty of great ideas, and even a few truly inspired moments, but there's so much chaff bogging down the wheat that there's no way the film is as good as it always believed it was. While I can appreciate the improvisational manner of the script, endless wandering filled with swearing because the actors didn't know what else to say does not make for entertainment. If they had replaced the filler with more creepy moments, it could be in my opinion a real classic instead of an interesting experiment that ultimately coasted on its own novelty.

See, the very reason the movie works so well is because it totally downplays those "creepy moments" that you wanted more of. The movie is grounded in reality more than almost any other I've seen, and it's precisely because of the "endless wandering" without much happening. The swearing, the inane chatter is all so naturalistic that my brain starts to forget I'm watching a movie. By the time poo poo hits the fan at the end, the sense of dread and terror feels stunningly close. It's remarkable how the movie opens up my imagination to some utterly terrifying notions, all by simply hinting at them rather than showing them. One shot of a distant figure, one witch sound, one quick flash of a face or a shadowy figure in front of the camera and the whole effect would be completely destroyed. The movie is, in a way, a litmus test for ones own imagination.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

caiman posted:

See, the very reason the movie works so well is because it totally downplays those "creepy moments" that you wanted more of. The movie is grounded in reality more than almost any other I've seen, and it's precisely because of the "endless wandering" without much happening. The swearing, the inane chatter is all so naturalistic that my brain starts to forget I'm watching a movie. By the time poo poo hits the fan at the end, the sense of dread and terror feels stunningly close. It's remarkable how the movie opens up my imagination to some utterly terrifying notions, all by simply hinting at them rather than showing them. One shot of a distant figure, one witch sound, one quick flash of a face or a shadowy figure in front of the camera and the whole effect would be completely destroyed. The movie is, in a way, a litmus test for ones own imagination.

Also as a long time hiker, watching them wander in increasing panic without being able to find the way out was worrying. When Mike cracks up and throws the map away it shouldn't matter - if you head downhill until you hit water then head downstream you'll inevitably find people, and your only worry is lack of food. But then you realise that it didn't matter; even if he had kept his head they wouldn't have been able to find their way out. This is even more obvious if you watched the subsidiary material including Curse of the Blair Witch first, so that you know all about the house at the end and where the film footage was purportedly found.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I agree with this post but I don't really have an alternative "best horror movie of the 90s" to name in its stead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drunkboxer posted:

I agree with this post but I don't really have an alternative "best horror movie of the 90s" to name in its stead.

We've had this discussion before and it's Ravenous.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

We've had this discussion before and it's Ravenous.

I guess that doesn't click as a horror movie to me since it's mostly fighting, I thought. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Also what's horrific about eating people to gain their power? Sounds like the dream to me.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

caiman posted:

one witch sound

I 100% agree, but this part made me laugh.

Speaking of witch sounds, I really wanted to like Lords of Salem, but the witches made absolutely no sense. They're just hanging out in the woods, yelling "EVIL" words? I'm not sure if this actually happened or if I just created a false memory, but I'm convinced there was a scene during the crazy witch chanting where one of the women shouts out, "I'm BLASPHEMING!", in the same exact tone that Richard Dreyfus would respond, "Keep Blasheming, Bob!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Scream, Blair Witch, Silence of the Lambs, New Nightmare, Ravenous. There's your top 5 for the 90s. Candyman and Tremors just barely miss making the cut.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Speaking of Ed Gein, the other day I met one of the psychiatrist's who treated him, it was actually really interesting.

And while we're on the subject, after the original, which one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies are worth watching? Not including the remakes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drunkboxer posted:

I guess that doesn't click as a horror movie to me since it's mostly fighting, I thought. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Also what's horrific about eating people to gain their power? Sounds like the dream to me.

Difficult to argue with, I suppose.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kvlt! posted:

Speaking of Ed Gein, the other day I met one of the psychiatrist's who treated him, it was actually really interesting.

And while we're on the subject, after the original, which one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies are worth watching? Not including the remakes.

The first one is fantastic, not sure about the rest though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Phantasm II is available via Cinemax on demand streaming. Will it screw anything up watching this if I haven't seen the original film?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kvlt! posted:

What did it do?

The cult members broke into the couple's home and installed 18 hidden cameras. So rather than rely entirely on a handheld camera and finding an excuse for the male lead to always be recording with his handheld they had more sources.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kvlt! posted:

This franchise has actually been remade several times. There's also a few non-successive sequels.

The first one is essential horror, and I'm somewhat shocked you haven't seen it. The second one is pretty divisive, but some goons like it quite a bit. It has Bill Moseley in a pretty iconic role of Chop Top. I haven't seen part 3, but it's a reboot as well I believe. . Part 4 was literally only released because Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger both became bigger stars several years after this one was completed.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I'd definitely say Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is worth watching, but it's completely different than the original. The remake is totally watchable.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The best Horror movie of the '90s is Dead Alive and don't any of you forget it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

This franchise has actually been remade several times. There's also a few non-successive sequels.

Even if you don't count TCM3 as a soft reboot or whatever, it's been remade no less than three times.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Zwabu posted:

Phantasm II is available via Cinemax on demand streaming. Will it screw anything up watching this if I haven't seen the original film?

It'll spoil the ending of the first one, including a pretty amazing scare sequence. But I've made people who don't like horror watch just the second one and they weren't (that) lost.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Just to be clear I've seen the original TCM and all the modern ones too, I just haven't seen the ones in between. Thanks all!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kvlt! posted:

This just reminds me of that Loaded Weapon quote:

"General Mortars was my patient. I taught him to express his anger."

"You taught him well."

"Quite. After our last session, he started the Vietnamese war."

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The best horror movie of the 90's was actually Candyman.

on the subject of ed gein, I watched Deranged (1974) recently which is supposedly a re-telling of the ed gein story. It was ok, Roberts Blossom chewed the scenery as ed gein but the movie ended pretty abruptly and for some reason it was presented as a "true crime" story with an on screen narrator. Wasn't on the level of TCM, thats for sure

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The best Horror movies of the '90s in no order based on my generally questionable taste and ratings:

From Dusk Till Dawn
Blade
The Faculty
Scream
The Blair Witch Project
Army of Darkness
The Frighteners
Tremors
Troll 2
The People Under the Stairs
Idle Hands
Candyman
In the Mouth of Madness
Dead Alive
House on Haunted Hill
Mimic
Deep Rising
New Nightmare
Ravenous
Night of the Living Dead
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
The Exorcist III
Demon Knight
The Relic
Tremors II: Aftershocks
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
My Boyfriend's Back
Frankenhooker
Dr. Giggles
Highway to Hell
Terror Firmer
The Willies
Body Melt
Tell Me Something
The Boneyard

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Jason Goes to Hell was a stupid awful movie but it will always hold a special place in my heart as my first real horror experience.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I actually really do like the House on Haunted Hill remake. It generally gets crapped on, but I thought it was one of those rare movies that was just silly enough to disarm you, then it would bust out some genuinely scary poo poo when you weren't expecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

DeathChicken posted:

I actually really do like the House on Haunted Hill remake. It generally gets crapped on, but I thought it was one of those rare movies that was just silly enough to disarm you, then it would bust out some genuinely scary poo poo when you weren't expecting it.

I generally agree. I loved everything about it until that last bit. It wasn't necessary and just ruined the atmosphere. :(