Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is "supply" a game term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

alg posted:

Is "supply" a game term?

It's not bolded like a keyword but the rulebook refers to your supply of force cards in the force phase section on page 14.

It just means you have to have one of your three slots available to commit a guy if you want to play this card, so you can't play a guy without committing him or get a 4th unit committed.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Is "supply" a game term?

In multiplayer aren't each side only allowed to have 3 force cards? I think this is just to make sure you aren't cheesing in a 4th force card.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really looking forward to this force pack cycle. I'm liking the look of tying Force Commitment into more aspects of the game; as it stands, that mechanic feels a bit divorced from the rest of the game for me.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm really looking forward to this force pack cycle. I'm liking the look of tying Force Commitment into more aspects of the game; as it stands, that mechanic feels a bit divorced from the rest of the game for me.

It's really hard for non-Jedi LS to take the force with any sort of consistency. It's really weird how random unique imperial goons can have 3 pips. Especially since their claims to fame are oft-times little more than "took an unnecessary shortcut, lost some ATATs to a river, then got my walker opened like a tauntaun and was blown up."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've recently been shown the light when it comes to protecting my games, and I really want to start sleeving my LCG collection That said, I'm worried about storage options. I currently have my cards in Ultra Pro binder pages, so when I want to deckbuild I can see all 6 cards per pod at a glance. If I sleeve everything, I think my only option is going to be a card box or two, and that makes flipping through pods problematic. Any suggestions?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

I've recently been shown the light when it comes to protecting my games, and I really want to start sleeving my LCG collection That said, I'm worried about storage options. I currently have my cards in Ultra Pro binder pages, so when I want to deckbuild I can see all 6 cards per pod at a glance. If I sleeve everything, I think my only option is going to be a card box or two, and that makes flipping through pods problematic. Any suggestions?

I'd limit sleeving to only decks. I was sleeving all my SWLCG and ANRLCG cards and not only is it expensive, it doubles the storage size (thickness), and even Ultra-Pro Mattes vary in size and opacity across print runs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
While that is an attractive idea, I do a lot of deck building. I'm not in any ongoing leagues or tournament play, so i tend to build new decks every time my wife and I play together. That would make for a lot of shuffling cards in and out of sleeves and binder pages, and that sounds like a recipe for disaster in terms of bent corners and edges.

Storage space itself isn't too much of a concern. This is the only LCG I play, so if it takes up a lot of room, I can live with that. My primary concern (other than protecting the cards from wear and tear) is ease of access when I want to sit down and theory-craft new decks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I can't help but feel that the game would be better if the majority of pods were 1-of and the 2-ofs were the abnormals. Then data packs could have more than 1 pod per faction. The game is all but dead in my area and a large complaint has been the general lack of card options per period.

Also the whole 'your ID is your splash faction' bit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think higher variance would make the game worse in a way that an expanded card pool wouldn't make up for.

I mean, the splash faction as faction ID is for consistency too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PJOmega posted:

I can't help but feel that the game would be better if the majority of pods were 1-of and the 2-ofs were the abnormals. Then data packs could have more than 1 pod per faction. The game is all but dead in my area and a large complaint has been the general lack of card options per period.

Also the whole 'your ID is your splash faction' bit.

You don't necessarily need to do the other ID as your splash faction, the game is getting to a point where you can make a pure deck and be fine or one guy in our group always builds decks using all three factions and adds the neutral one that allows you to ignore faction requirements and he is the second best player in the group.

Got to play a couple games of 2v2 last night and it was great. I thought the multiplayer stuff was really smooth though I think the rebels had a bit of an easier time, the Smuggler rush and Hoth rush aggro decks that my friend and I played, absolutely dominated the DS and we won on our third turn and actually could have had destroyed more DS objectives than the dial was at(dial was at 5 and we could have blown up 7). It was a lesson in why you don't just start dropping bombs, first turn from one DS guy was Vader and the other guy played an At-At, my objective flip was a pair of Anoat Sectors and I had blockade runner in my opening draw. First turn knocked out an objective and set the pace from there.

After the game we chose teams for next week and are coordinating our decks for maximum effect. Looking forward to it. We might also try the 3v1 or 2v1 scenarios if new players show up. I'm thinking the 2v1 scenario might be a good to teach new players the game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, anyone enjoying the new pods in BotF? I'm impressed with the Imperial and Rebel ones for 1v1, though I imagine Sith would be a powerhouse in 2v2.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Last week we tried the search for Skywalker 2v1 scenario. Man that Light side deck is brutal. You really need to build strong decks to manage it because it just ran over us both times. Red Five is nigh unstoppable and with the enhancements the deck runs it's silly powerful. Second game we just managed to get Luke on the board and then didn't have nearly enough guns/blast icons on the board to kill him.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Has anyone been successful with Executor yet? I'm thinking on this:

Affiliation:
Sith (Core)

Total Objective Sets: (10)

2x Imperial Command (Core)
Admiral Motti (Core)
Duty Officer (Core)
Heavy Stormtrooper Squad (Core)
Heavy Stormtrooper Squad (Core)
Orbital Bombardment (Core)

2x Death and Despayre (Core)
Devastator (Core)
Imperial Officer (Core)
Control Room (Core)
Defense Upgrade (Core)
Heat of Battle (Core)

2x Deploy the Fleet (The Search For Skywalker)
Death Squadron Star Destroyer (The Search For Skywalker)
Death Squadron Star Destroyer (The Search For Skywalker)
Fleet Navigator (The Search For Skywalker)
Death Squadron Command (The Search For Skywalker)
Admiral's Orders (The Search For Skywalker)

2x The Executor Arrives (Escape from Hoth)
Executor (Escape from Hoth)
ISB Liaison (Escape from Hoth)
ISB Liaison (Escape from Hoth)
Sith Holocron (Escape from Hoth)
Aggression (Escape from Hoth)

1x Imperial Blockade (Edge of Darkness)
Captain Needa (Edge of Darkness)
Imperial I-class Star Destroyer (Edge of Darkness)
Imperial I-class Star Destroyer (Edge of Darkness)
Apology Accepted (Edge of Darkness)
Tractor Beam (Edge of Darkness)

1x Repair and Refurbish (Balance of the Force)
Thunderflare (Balance of the Force)
Logistics Officer (Balance of the Force)
Logistics Officer (Balance of the Force)
Weapons Upgrade (Balance of the Force)
Supporting Fire (Balance of the Force)

I feel like I'll have a lot of resources and should be able to play big Capital Ships reasonably. I think that's all the released Star Destroyers.

PaybackJack posted:

Last week we tried the search for Skywalker 2v1 scenario. Man that Light side deck is brutal. You really need to build strong decks to manage it because it just ran over us both times. Red Five is nigh unstoppable and with the enhancements the deck runs it's silly powerful. Second game we just managed to get Luke on the board and then didn't have nearly enough guns/blast icons on the board to kill him.

The Dark Side deck is really brutal too. I am still not sure how to build to beat either one.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

Has anyone been successful with Executor yet? I'm thinking on this:

It slots into the bog standard Sith lists without any difficulty. Executor is a very nice addition but the real MVP of the pod is the Sith Holocron.

Counsel of the Sith x2
The Emperor's Web x2
The Executor Arrives x2
Fall of the Jedi x2

Your last 2 pods are largely meta dependent. My playgroup was very much into playing Jedi Superfriends, so I ran Trandoshan Terror for the 2 resources and Bossk being able to get rid of a hugely buffed Jedi. Not to mention Trandoshan Hunters never being a bad draw. Rebels/Sleuth Smugglers hate The Tattoine Crash because of Jawa spam, since they are often alpha striking every turn. The Ghosts of the Darkside is also hugely effective if only because Force Shockwave is so utterly hosing to swarm decks.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I just picked up a double starter and the desolation of hoth. So far I am enjoying the "Pod" system for card selection, but I have been unable to get a solid deck building strategy going. I'm used to being able to pick cards on a 1 by 1 basis based on synergy, but here we have to pick pods, and not all cards in a 2 pods will have as coherent of a synergy as a 1 for 1 system.

So I am here looking for deckbuilding strategy! Tourney and friendly play alike. Any takers?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4615

hell yeah

edit: after this we have to be in for a new, workable Boba Fett

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Anyone know a good deck builder? cardgamedb went and dropped OCTGN support so I need something new that exports.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really just waiting for some of this awesome poo poo to actually start coming out. It felt like there was a constant stream of new cards when this game was new, but everything just stopped dead when the 3v1 expansion hit.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm really just waiting for some of this awesome poo poo to actually start coming out. It felt like there was a constant stream of new cards when this game was new, but everything just stopped dead when the 3v1 expansion hit.

Heroes and Legends is on the boat and expected out next month at least.

The same gap in releases happen with Netrunner after it's first Deluxe as well. Creation and Control came out early July and we did not see Opening moves till mid/late September.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LordNat posted:

Heroes and Legends is on the boat and expected out next month at least.

The same gap in releases happen with Netrunner after it's first Deluxe as well. Creation and Control came out early July and we did not see Opening moves till mid/late September.

Glad to know its coming soon! I just really like the idea of a card game like this with constant additions and improvements. My only problem now is finding someone else to play against. My wife likes the game, but not nearly as much as I do.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I would be totally down for goon OCTGN.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

I would need to learn how the program works, but I'd be up for trying online play.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

jivjov posted:

My wife likes the game, but not nearly as much as I do.

I ran into a buddy that's typically into heavy Eurogames or stuff like Twilight Struggle and found out that he and his girlfriend had been going to the board game store a few times a week to play this game. Good to know another couple enjoys it. Apparently she's not into the movies/theme at all but really likes the mechanics.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

alg posted:

The only thing I don't like with OCTGN is the missing card art/censored card text. You need to have a hookup for the o8c :filez:

LordNat
May 16, 2009

mongol posted:

The only thing I don't like with OCTGN is the missing card art/censored card text. You need to have a hookup for the o8c :filez:

WAIT I SHOULD NOT LINK FILEZ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Finally getting around to trying some sets I've wanted to try (Frozen Refuge and A Hero's Resolve)

Generally the goal is to overwhelm them to win Edge then bomb the poo poo out of them with stuff like Wedge/Rogue 3/Luke and FX-7. Hold the Line is in there for defenders, mostly. My meta, as I assume most metas are, is currently about Sith control, so I'm hoping I always have the best number of Hoth objectives.

Affiliation:
Jedi (Core)

Total Objective Sets: (10)

2x Hoth Operations (The Desolation of Hoth)
Wedge Antilles (The Desolation of Hoth)
Rogue Three (The Desolation of Hoth)
Snowspeeder (The Desolation of Hoth)
Hoth Survival Gear (The Desolation of Hoth)
Target of Opportunity (The Desolation of Hoth)

1x Echo Base Defense (The Desolation of Hoth)
Wilderness Fighters (The Desolation of Hoth)
Subzero Defenses (The Desolation of Hoth)
Subzero Defenses (The Desolation of Hoth)

1x Frozen Refuge (Assault on Echo Base)
WED-15-1016 (Assault on Echo Base)
FX-7 Medical Assistant (Assault on Echo Base)
Tauntaun (Assault on Echo Base)
Echo Control Center (Assault on Echo Base)
Battle of Hoth (Assault on Echo Base)

2x Attack Pattern Delta (The Battle of Hoth)
Rogue Leader (The Battle of Hoth)
Rogue Two (The Battle of Hoth)
Snowspeeder (The Battle of Hoth)
Snowspeeder Launch Bay (The Battle of Hoth)
Battle of Hoth (The Battle of Hoth)

2x Hold the Line! (The Battle of Hoth)
Hoth Rearguard (The Battle of Hoth)
Coordinated Strike (The Battle of Hoth)
Battle of Hoth (The Battle of Hoth)

2x A Hero's Resolve (Escape from Hoth)
Luke Skywalker (Escape from Hoth)
Snowspeeder (Escape from Hoth)
Tauntaun (Escape from Hoth)
Battle of Hoth (Escape from Hoth)
Heat of Battle (Escape from Hoth)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Mute this and just look at the cards. They made a card for the dude from Jedi Knight :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kVm6-9tnqI

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Scouring the Empire (#100) posted:

Objective - 2 Resources - 5 Health - Sith
Coruscant
Sith affiliation only.

Jerec (Unique) posted:

Unit - 4 Cost - 4 Force Bubbles - 3 Health - Sith
Black Icon(s): Unit Damage x1, Objective Damage x1
White Icon(s): Unit Damage x1
Character - Force User - Inquisitor
Elite
Reaction: After this unit is focused to strike, remove a target unit from the Force.

Imperial Inquisitor x2 posted:

Unit - 2 Cost - 1 Force Bubble - 2 Health - Neutral
Black Icon(s): None
White Icon(s): Unit Damage x1
Character - Force Sensitive - Inquisitor
1 Resource
Reaction: After an enemy unit is removed from the Force by a card effect, remove 1 focus token from this unit.

Force Storm posted:

Event - 4 Cost - 2 Force Bubbles - Sith
Force - Control - Alter
Play only if the balance of the Force is with the dark side.
Action: Deal 2 damage to each unit that is not dedicated to the Force.

Echoes of the Force posted:

Fate - 2 Force Bubbles - Priority 4
You may commit a target unit to or remove a target unit from the Force.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Well I guess Sith won't be getting played less anytime soon. Force Storm is a tremendous counter to Hoth Speeder & Sleuth Scout decks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Well I guess Sith won't be getting played less anytime soon. Force Storm is a tremendous counter to Hoth Speeder & Sleuth Scout decks.

Shame the rest of the pod is so mediocre.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Shame the rest of the pod is so mediocre.

I'm actually not too unhappy with it. The Imperial Inquisitors are basically a resource with added benefits, Jerec isn't amazing but he's got decent HP and his ability is pretty annoying. I think Echoes of the Force has some potential as well for super control decks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Yea :/

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

I'm actually not too unhappy with it. The Imperial Inquisitors are basically a resource with added benefits, Jerec isn't amazing but he's got decent HP and his ability is pretty annoying. I think Echoes of the Force has some potential as well for super control decks.

You'd still be filling your deck with a lot of mediocre cards if you want 2 Force Storm, and as it is I think Sith run low on slots (since at this point 6+ pods seem pretty much mandatory).

That being said Force Storm is a super-hard counter for some decks. I'm also wondering how that works with stuff like Guardians-I'd think they wouldn't be able to protect since all the damage is done simultaneously but I'm not totally sure how that interaction would work.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

You'd still be filling your deck with a lot of mediocre cards if you want 2 Force Storm, and as it is I think Sith run low on slots (since at this point 6+ pods seem pretty much mandatory).

That being said Force Storm is a super-hard counter for some decks. I'm also wondering how that works with stuff like Guardians-I'd think they wouldn't be able to protect since all the damage is done simultaneously but I'm not totally sure how that interaction would work.

Protect let's you put an amount of damage up to lethal, so you can't soak 20 damage onto a 2 health guardian.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How is OCTGN? Pretty easy to use? I'd like to try it out as I can't seem to get anyone around here to play.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeGllN7jQwI

Another Spoiler for Heroes and Legends, and GOOD GOD are yellow cards getting silly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

goooooood lord

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That's insane, I don't know why I wouldn't put that set in all of my smuggler's decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does that have 2x of the "8" costers? I hate the videos so I won't listen with sound.

Possible reasons to not run it are blowouts from the objective flipping. Beyond that yes in a straight smuggler's deck or Rebel control it is insane.

• Locked thread