Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I didn't know they were that far along in shipping. Hopefully I'll get my tracking info soon.

Also, I've never been able to get the kind of sear you get from a pan using a torch. It's just...different. And not as good. I do have that ridiculous Searzall coming eventually, and I'm hoping it addresses those issues.
Yea here in Australia they cleared customs in a snap, I wasn't expecting it for another week or so

My plan was to use the cast iron and a torch to get a crust going as quickly as possible - am I over thinking this maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Sure - I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm just trying to educate myself. I wasn't sure if the objection to non-stick was more based in health or if it was for some other reason.

my objection to non-stick is 'why should I use non-stick?'

at least in my experience, with searing, I don't get nearly as nice of a crust with nonstick as I do with stainless/hard anodized/cast iron. and like gravity said, I don't wanna take nonstick above 400 - it just starts smoking and smells funny and generally makes me feel like I shouldn't be doing that to it. I don't really care about health issues, it's just like - the pan is begging me not to sear anything with it.

nothing sticks to stainless et al. if you manage the moisture on your protein - ie, squeegee your fish skin, thoroughly paper towel dry your chicken skin/porkchop/whatever - so I just stick to that for meat searing. I use nonstick for omelettes or non-moisture-managable items, and that's about it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grim posted:

Yea here in Australia they cleared customs in a snap, I wasn't expecting it for another week or so

My plan was to use the cast iron and a torch to get a crust going as quickly as possible - am I over thinking this maybe?

I would only use a torch on irregular shaped things that don't have a flat enough surface for searing. Although last time I made lamb chops, I sous vizzled them, iced them for a couple of minutes, then breaded and deep fried and they were baller.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does a thermapen stick to one of those magnetic knife holders?

Doubtful, but they have sleeves with magnets on them, they were on special when I bought mine.

No Wave posted:

Sure - I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm just trying to educate myself. I wasn't sure if the objection to non-stick was more based in health or if it was for some other reason.

Not sure where you said getting something to 500 is hard, but my dinghy Max Burton induction top gets my cast iron to 600... on it's lowest setting.

I think the worst part of non-stick is the lack of fond.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would only use a torch on irregular shaped things that don't have a flat enough surface for searing. Although last time I made lamb chops, I sous vizzled them, iced them for a couple of minutes, then breaded and deep fried and they were baller.

SV, Ice, Thomas Keller's Herb Crusted Lamb Rack recipe, Oven at the temperature of the sun (or 410 for mine which is the closest it gets because it's poo poo) for 5 minutes. :sun:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

deimos posted:

Not sure where you said getting something to 500 is hard, but my dinghy Max Burton induction top gets my cast iron to 600... on it's lowest setting.

I think the worst part of non-stick is the lack of fond.
I think I'm being dumb on temp.

However - isn't lack of fond an ADVANTAGE? If you had a pan that left all its crust on the meat - why would you go back? It renders the need for an integral sauce moot (though by all means serve w/ a reduction if you are so inclined). Even in the case of stews the flavor is still getting into the dish during the cooking process.

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
I'm sorry if this has been covered recently, but I've gone back ten pages and didn't catch anything.

I'm contemplating a stand mixer. My budget isn't particularly high, but I'm hearing odd things about the Andrew James Mixer and how it can't seem to catch anything on the sides (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-Jame...rew+james+mixer). I'd love to be wrong because the price is right.

Two other models I'm looking at are:

The Kenwood Prospero (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Pro...=I3SBVU5W5IZQEN)
And the somewhat unorthodox Bosch Food mixer. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-MUM46...=I36CE7U8P42PG4)

Aside from the fact that the Bosch seems to be able to handle pretty much your entire kitchen for you, I've no idea where I should be aiming, let alone what the differences are.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

No Wave posted:

I think I'm being dumb on temp.

However - isn't lack of fond an ADVANTAGE? If you had a pan that left all its crust on the meat - why would you go back? It renders the need for an integral sauce moot (though by all means serve w/ a reduction if you are so inclined). Even in the case of stews the flavor is still getting into the dish during the cooking process.

Thing is, even leaving fond behind on a "sticky" pan, I've never had a problem with insufficient fond/crust on the meat. Get a little oil in there, get a good sear, et voila, delicious. And then I can use the pan fond for whatever I want. But with a non-stick, I have occasionally had problems getting enough browning on the stuff I'm cooking without going straight to burning. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to browning certain things in the non-stick, but it is a problem.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

I recommend this

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009

copen posted:

I recommend this

It's beaauuutiful

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That brass and stainless kind of clash, like a wearing a brown belt with black shoes. I wouldn't turn down a cooking range like that ever though. Are there burners under the wood cutting boards? Could make an excellent smoker when you turn on the wrong burner. :D

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pfffft. If you're going to drool at things in windows you can't afford, at least pick better stores.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 4, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
That kitchen has too many pans, and none of them are carbon steel. Automatic fail. Also, burn down William Sonoma.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That kitchen has too many pans, and none of them are carbon steel. Automatic fail. Also, burn down William Sonoma.

Yeah William Sonoma is the worst. I needed a new pepper mill though and it was the same price.

That stove is 40k dollars. :gonk:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, screw that. You can get a wolf or Vulcan 6 range w/ oven, and a half grill with half oven, AND a full set of vollrath steel disc bottom pans for ~10k

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Why ogle that stuff, when you can just buy Charlie Trotter's home kitchen straight up:

http://chicagoist.com/2014/02/04/charlie_trotters_lincoln_park_mansi.php

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

E: awful app double post

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Does anyone have a recommendation for a slow cooker? Looking to pay no more than probably $50.

edit: a good rice cooker would be nice too! I didn't see either in the op and this thread is kinda unwieldy.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 4, 2014

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I like it

copen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 4, 2014

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Why are you grinding pepper on to your dirty desk?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
haha I knew I should of wiped up the coffee spots.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wow why would you spend 40k on that when you could get a Viking / Blue Star and Salamander and have enough to get three phase service, a combi oven, and pizza oven.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

Wow why would you spend 40k on that when you could get a Viking / Blue Star and Salamander and have enough to get three phase service, a combi oven, and pizza oven.

If one can afford a $40K range, chances are one can buy everything else you listed as well

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Looks like my Kitchenaid is dying. So, I'll need a new mixer. Short of buying a Hobart (because I don't have the 220 outlet available in my kitchen for it), what's going to be the most hardcore countertop mixer? Primary uses include making dough and whipping things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kitchen-Aid bowl-lift. I was interested in other makers but it sounds like Breville and Kenwood/Cuisinart struggle with tough doughs.

Costco has a good 6qt 1hp
http://www.costco.com/KitchenAid%AE-Professional-6-Qt-Mixer.product.11754601.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 5, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The new 6 quart pros have plastic gears and I'm just about done burning out my old good one sooooooo....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KS...mixer+lift+bowl

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KS...chenAid+KSM8990

"Metal gear casing"

"all-metal precise gear design"

edit: it looks like the 7 quart KSM7586P also has metal gears
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Candy-Red-Stand-Mixer-KSM7586PCA/dp/B008XF78IQ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 5, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The new 6 quart pros have plastic gears and I'm just about done burning out my old good one sooooooo....

I have a 5qt Pro 500. All metal gears and construction, thing is a champ, and going strong after 7 years.

e: also, bowl-lift for life. Tilt heads suck.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

If one can afford a $40K range, chances are one can buy everything else you listed as well

Right. I just want the superior choices. And a 60" range :c00l:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
im getting ready to buy my first home with my wife. totally very much considering buying something like 20-40k less than I can comfortably afford, and using the difference to renovate the gently caress out of a kitchen. im talkin giant giant kitchen enveloping venthood, new gently caress off range, separate standing fridge/freezers, hardwood counters, giant sink :)

I can dream right

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

O lord, I just noticed KitchenAid has their own eBay store seems they are selling refurbs/returns directly from there. (Not that it helps me, they don't ship to US protectorates)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
As far as stand mixers, a Bosch is the most hard core option. Spiral rather than planetary mixing, and it'll do an obscene amount of dough at once. Bonus, the attachments are generally higher quality than the KA equivalent.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

As far as stand mixers, a Bosch is the most hard core option. Spiral rather than planetary mixing, and it'll do an obscene amount of dough at once. Bonus, the attachments are generally higher quality than the KA equivalent.

Like this funny looking one?

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-MUM6N10...sch+stand+mixer

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

im getting ready to buy my first home with my wife. totally very much considering buying something like 20-40k less than I can comfortably afford, and using the difference to renovate the gently caress out of a kitchen. im talkin giant giant kitchen enveloping venthood, new gently caress off range, separate standing fridge/freezers, hardwood counters, giant sink :)

I can dream right

Then knock another 40k off to make the bathroom something a roman emperor would be proud of and you more or less have my dream house.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a 5-quart Cuisinart mixer, I've made about 10 loaves of bread and 10 batches of cookies in it in the last six months, really don't use it as much as I thought I would. Probably could have gotten away with saving a couple hundred and getting the Artisan from KitchenAid.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Exactly that one. You can pick it up, along with its attachments, at Pleasant Hill Grain as well (sometimes their price beats Amazon). There's a pretty decent flour mill/sifter you can buy, along with meat grinder, etc etc etc.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

If you're planning on using your mixer mostly for doughs, that Bosch is a tank. Keep in mind it's not very good at small batches. There's a ton of 3rd party attachments and DIY things you can try to improve the small batch performance, but I found you ended up needing different "hacks" depending on the moisture content, and I couldn't be bothered since I'm always trying different breads. 500g-800g of flour usually worked decently, and anything more I never had any issues. I ended up selling mine and buying a Bosch compact mixer (which is fantastic so far, and dirt cheap) because I have a tiny apartment freezer and the 2 of us couldn't eat enough bread to keep up with the minimum batch size. Sold it on craigslist to someone who had one for 27 years before the gearbox died. There's a bit of a cult-like worship of Bosch mixers, and I think I'm hooked. Would definitely recommend either the Compact or the Universal Plus depending on your batch size. I just wish the stainless bowls weren't so expensive, it's the only part of the KA I'm jealous of.

edit: The compact is only $200, and sometimes lower on sale, but before they re-released the model, they were going for twice that on eBay for used models, people liked them so much. People who come over dismiss it because it looks cheap, and was cheap, wondering when I'm going to "upgrade" to a high end mixer like a KA since they know I dump tons of money of kitchen stuff.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 5, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Kreez posted:

If you're planning on using your mixer mostly for doughs, that Bosch is a tank. Keep in mind it's not very good at small batches. There's a ton of 3rd party attachments and DIY things you can try to improve the small batch performance, but I found you ended up needing different "hacks" depending on the moisture content, and I couldn't be bothered since I'm always trying different breads. 500g-800g of flour usually worked decently, and anything more I never had any issues. I ended up selling mine and buying a Bosch compact mixer (which is fantastic so far, and dirt cheap) because I have a tiny apartment freezer and the 2 of us couldn't eat enough bread to keep up with the minimum batch size. Sold it on craigslist to someone who had one for 27 years before the gearbox died. There's a bit of a cult-like worship of Bosch mixers, and I think I'm hooked. Would definitely recommend either the Compact or the Universal Plus depending on your batch size. I just wish the stainless bowls weren't so expensive, it's the only part of the KA I'm jealous of.

edit: The compact is only $200, and sometimes lower on sale, but before they re-released the model, they were going for twice that on eBay for used models, people liked them so much. People who come over dismiss it because it looks cheap, and was cheap, wondering when I'm going to "upgrade" to a high end mixer like a KA since they know I dump tons of money of kitchen stuff.

The Compact is probably the best option for small-batch dough, but you can also use the slicer/shredder bowl attachment and a special dough hook you can buy somewhere, to take advantage of the HUGE motor.

e: never mind, these people say that you can do as little as 400g of dough in the UP with no issues. If you would prefer, they make a small-batch dough catcher that's like $6 and a dough catcher that's like $2 that you can use to really put your mind at ease.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 6, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I might have to go for the monster Bosch, then. I make several loaves of sandwich bread every week (in 2 loaf batches), plus dinner breads sever times a week, and a bunch of other things. Which is why I like to use a mixer because frankly nobody has time for that much kneading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I might have to go for the monster Bosch, then. I make several loaves of sandwich bread every week (in 2 loaf batches), plus dinner breads sever times a week, and a bunch of other things. Which is why I like to use a mixer because frankly nobody has time for that much kneading.

Yeah. I sell bread at the market and the kneading time is really wearing on me. I didn't know the Bosch Compact was so inexpensive...any idea what sort of accessories are available for it?

• Locked thread