Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

peepsalot posted:

Haven't used one in latest version, but last time I had one it seemed to only be faster on things weaker than cobble. dirt, sand, etc.

Bonehammers are way way worse than the majority of picks in my experience. They hit a larger area, but they swing much slower and are crap at breaking through stone and other dense materials (and they're not too good at digging vertically, either). A decently upgraded pick will carve out everything in your path way faster than a bonerhammer ever could. I guess if you find one early, when you're still using the MM or a stone or copper pick, it might be worth using to dig through dirt :shrug:

Those things are awesome as hell for digging wildlife though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ferrous posted:

The game does this with me as well and I'm not using any mods. It only seems to do it on magma and volcanic worlds though.

It does this to me and I don't even have any mods installed.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
For everyone having this issue, install this to your mods folder: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/unofficial-parallax-fix.1384/

I have been using it on my server for a few days and no one has run into the FTL travel glitch since!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

script kitty posted:

For everyone having this issue, install this to your mods folder: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/unofficial-parallax-fix.1384/

I have been using it on my server for a few days and no one has run into the FTL travel glitch since!

Thanks for this. The thread for EE on the official forums was thoroughly unhelpful.

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/430687152222273536

Apparently Tiy is announcing what's in store coming up and doing a reddit AMA tonight.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I get some Coordinates for the Exploration Mod?

I need some tech, like all the tech.

Also, places with plant-matter stone and vines (the block).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I was exploring with the Exploration Mod, and found a legendary rocket launcher that fires drills on this planet:

It probably won't be there for vanilla Starbound, I've got EE and the combat mod installed.

Its in a chest on the surface somewhere to the left. I don't recall how far I went, I scooted along with the bubble jump tech. It's worth the travel to find it.
This is the rocket launchers stats:

Its a threat level 9 planet, so not the most powerful rocket launcher, but pretty close. I can fire off about 19 shots before running out of energy with tier 10 armour, and it can easily make a huge dent in a mountain.
For those looking for some sort of mining laser, this might be your thing. It even chops down trees, and after the drill head of the rocket has been used the explosive part continues on, so it does damage twice.

EDIT: The planet also has meteor showers, so watch out for those.

Also, here:
X sector
78750706, -35906568

X Phi Vel Minoris I c

Legendary shotgun just to the right of beam down point.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 4, 2014

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Time for a double dose of Tiy.

http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-chucklefish-and-starbound/

And he's doing an AMA right at this moment.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1x0usy/ama_about_the_future_of_starboundchucklefish_link/

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

quote:

Perhaps you prefer to be a builder, charging npcs rent based on the quality of the homes they inhabit.

I am totally up for Space Slumlord Simulator 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Those future plans sound amazing.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'd be lying if I claimed that didn't jump out at me too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Those future plans sound amazing.

No kidding. You could literally complete the entire game as a benevolent civilization builder. Build village -> attract tenants -> build farm -> sell goods to your villagers -> pay your way into the capstone mission -> move to the next tier and repeat.

I really like the idea of being able to build awesome castles and kingdoms and advance through the game by doing so.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Still hoping I can burn half of a town to ash and then repurpose the survivors into the labor force for the brand new mining gulag based out of their former town square.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

For some reason I really enjoy semi-detailed farming systems in games like these if I can turn the crops into either cash or actually useful stuff, so that part sounded cool.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Devour or Fire posted:

Still hoping I can burn half of a town to ash and then repurpose the survivors into the labor force for the brand new mining gulag based out of their former town square.

Do it in Sector X so I can roll in with my army of justice, bomb your fortress, smash your gulag open, conquer your planet, and build a heavily fortified and violently independent democratic city-state for the freed slaves :colbert:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Devour or Fire posted:

Doubly so if some survivors escape and start going on space adventures on their own, recruiting refugees from the ruins you leave behind. They'd challenge you periodically and fight your gulag guards, hoping to compensate for weaker equipment with pluck and determination. :3:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My gulagnomics will prevent things like revolts and takeovers by playing it fast and loose and also assuming that all employees will die horribly within a week.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The multiplayer options are pretty sweet, but I hope for boring people like me who can only play in who the gently caress knows when chunks (probably half to 3/4 my time played in starbound on steam is sitting in a chair while I'm not even at the computer), the worthwhile Sector X stuff isn't either disabled or not reasonably possible when not on a multiplayer server with a group of armed to the teeth players.

On the other hand, I look forward to hearing about the exploits of Lord ButtHelmet of the Goonballs Empire, stealing all the air from planet Pubbiedia. Or more simple yet insane things like replacing the entire first layer of a pubbie X planet with sewage blocks but leaving all their buildings and farms intact.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Those plans seem pretty good, except maybe the End Game. Surely the overwhelming majority of people are either going to be playing this alone or on a small server with some friends, so the whole guilds and pvp thing seems a bit pointless to me. I guess it's not like they don't have money to burn though.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Once in a while you get an Ideas Guy that actually follows through.

I loving love those people.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

quote:

Director Mode

On top of sector X, one major part of the replayable content will be director mode. Director mode exists within a separate Starbound client that allows admins to connect to their servers with a range of new tools built to control the action for their players. Admins in director mode (there can be multiple), will be able to spawn blocks, items, monsters, npcs at will. Take direct control over them, have them speak and interact with players. Essentially director mode allows admins to take on a similar role to that of a dungeon master in D&D, creating scenarios and stories on the fly to ensure players never have the same experience twice.

:aaaaa:

Its the ultimate open world... Its going to be hard to wait for this game to get finished.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pilchenstein posted:

Those plans seem pretty good, except maybe the End Game. Surely the overwhelming majority of people are either going to be playing this alone or on a small server with some friends, so the whole guilds and pvp thing seems a bit pointless to me. I guess it's not like they don't have money to burn though.

Agreed, plus "PVP will be enabled by default" is a lovely phrase which should never be uttered by a competent developer.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Agreed, plus "PVP will be enabled by default" is a lovely phrase which should never be uttered by a competent developer.

It will most likely be trivially easy to set up a non-PvP server so...?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Oh my god. Roving the galaxy, finding strange new architecture, and stealing it to charge people rent to live in it. :aaaaa:

I wonder if I will be able to actually make a museum and charge NPCs to visit it and sell things in the gift shop.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Finally, FINALLY, found enough crystal plant seeds to round out my crop collection. My house is complete!

That is until I find/think of something new to add and tear the whole thing down and rebuild for the umpteenth time.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Amazing. I am in awe.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Finished armor for all tiers!

Also, quick sketch for my species! Male on left, female on right:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MrGreenShirt posted:

Finally, FINALLY, found enough crystal plant seeds to round out my crop collection. My house is complete!

That is until I find/think of something new to add and tear the whole thing down and rebuild for the umpteenth time.

As a fan of simple but cool designs, I really like this. I'm am also fond of setting up snack machines for the guests and the skull throne is a nice touch.

Now cover the entire outside in Tesla spikes :unsmigghh:

dog kisser posted:

Also, quick sketch for my species! Male on left, female on right:

Oh, so THAT's what the little purple dot's on their head were. Was a bit hard for me to tell since I thought it was just ear shading in that dark ship, and all the armor examples cover the head.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

MrGreenShirt posted:

I like the meticulously kept garden/orchard, the sparse but adequate guest quarters, and then the throne perched atop a mountain of human remains:black101:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

MrGreenShirt posted:

I really hope that was on purpose. Even if it wasn't, it still owns.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

I really hope that was on purpose. Even if it wasn't, it still owns.

Totally on purpose. The base started out as an experiment in making a Plymouth Arcology in Starbound and priorities just sorta shifted as time went by.

Somewhat related, I wonder if they're planning on adding the ability to craft aegisalt through impervium blocks. If there's one thing that would make my base complete, it would be making it out of impervium with rubium highlights.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Got Tiy to answer a really important question in his AMA.

Not sure what to take of it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My ship keeps doing never ending jumps recently. Anyone else experiencing this same problem and have suggestions to fix it?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Babyface Mingo posted:

Got Tiy to answer a really important question in his AMA.

Not sure what to take of it.

I've said this before, but you're a good person.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, welcome to Madden, sans player verses player. What fun!

Hearthstone! All by yourself!

League of Legends. Bots only mode!

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
After spending a day dissasembling a glitch castle, I finally finished my new home and greenhouse. Building in this game is addictive.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

My ship keeps doing never ending jumps recently. Anyone else experiencing this same problem and have suggestions to fix it?

This happens to me when I try warping to volcano and sometimes magma worlds. Apparently it's an established bug.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

everythingWasBees posted:

I've said this before, but you're a good person.

:blush:

MrGreenShirt posted:

Just seen this, it's awesome and I'm totally going to steal your throne on bones some day.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

MrGreenShirt posted:

Tiy/ Molly/ (babyface mingo?) this kind of arcology would be :krad: for later tiers. Maybe have one or two rare plant types in there (and a shitload of human skeletons buried underneath).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrGreenShirt posted:

This happens to me when I try warping to volcano and sometimes magma worlds. Apparently it's an established bug.

Ah, yep, here too. That sucks. I really wanted to try those out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

That is amazing, reminds me of the Plymouth Arcology from Sim City 2000.

• Locked thread