Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Nah the cops didn't get involved. Dealing with insurance over $50 worth of damage isn't worth it because it'd bollock the no-claims bonus over basically nothing. The woman had no insurance, so gently caress her. No sympathy; when I'm ancient I certainly won't be driving if I'm that inept.

Girly's wrist is sore so she'll go get it checked out tomorrow on the government's dollar.

It's crazy - here you'd have to make a claim just so uninsured motorist insurance would cover the bills.

Glad she's ok and still cool with riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

It's crazy - here you'd have to make a claim just so uninsured motorist insurance would cover the bills.

Glad she's ok and still cool with riding.

Hell, insurance be damned. I'd get a police report so that Granny gets her license taken away before she kills again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ReelBigLizard posted:

I loving hate computers, I'm just too drat good at them.

This is my hell.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
People are dicks. My thankfully limited experiences with close calls have all been the result of old-rear end people not paying attention. This is why I have to pay enough attention for everyone in the road at once.

This round's on me, fellas.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

This is my hell.

It gets my goat when people I'm talking to assume that because I'm a programmer I am "into" computers. I usually try to flip it round on them.

"So, Gary, how do you spend your weekend? I bet you make up your own underwriters and insure the poo poo out of your car? Oh, Why not? You work in insurance right, you must love insuring things?!"

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm still stupidly astounded by how long it takes people to even accelerate to the speed limit from a stoplight sometimes and even on-ramps to the freeway.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

infraboy posted:

I'm still stupidly astounded by how long it takes people to even accelerate to the speed limit from a stoplight sometimes and even on-ramps to the freeway.

A thousand times this. My local Asda has on on ramp onto a national speed limit dual carriage way. The amount of oldies that trundle up to the top of it at about twenty miles an hour and then stop blows the mind.

This is it!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It IS actually safer to merge onto the highway at actual highway speeds. But I think that the only things most old people know about safety is to have a huge car and just mulishly pudsey about way under the speed limit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

captainOrbital posted:

It IS actually safer to merge onto the highway at actual highway speeds. But I think that the only things most old people know about safety is to have a huge car and just mulishly pudsey about way under the speed limit.

Ask Slavvy about what happens when old people drive.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
My logic is that's it's much easier to slow down my 4,100lb car than accelerate with my piddly 250hp engine. When I'm merging at the same speed as the highway traffic I can pick and choose what gap I can merge into safely; it's much easier to judge spaces between cars moving at a relative speed of 2mph than 20mph.

Plus I can floor it and my car sounds good.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I would say that a third of the cars around here merge onto the freeway sub-50mph, creating horrible, terrible traffic situations for everybody. Luckily I only experience this in a car since I can filter in front of the bad drivers on my bike on a regular basis.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This happens constantly here; often the speed differential is as much as 30-40km/h. If I can accelerate a 1985 1.3 corolla to motorway speeds without giving it death, your 2008 Rav4 will manage it fine. Just put. your. foot on the gas for gently caress's sake. It drives me insane in a car; on a bike it immediately leads to an angry twist of throttle and a dangerous pass.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've always said people don't merge on to the freeway here they taxi.
Go down on ramp at around 35mph. Shove your way into the right lane, maintain speed, change into next lane over, maintain speed, check to make sure you have no new texts, put foot to floor and bring it up to 90.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

quote:

girly 'came out of nowhere'.
_________/

Glad the ladyfriend is OK and in good spirits, but Christ man you really need to avoid old ladies!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Update: girly is off work for two weeks with a fractured wrist. Hooray!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Good job not calling the police!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The police wouldn't have mattered, state accident insurance covers the injury either way. The cops have her numberplate etc now, so they'll roll around to her house, affirm the side of the car is damaged, and nature will take it's course.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Xovaan posted:

I would say that a third of the cars around here merge onto the freeway sub-50mph, creating horrible, terrible traffic situations for everybody. Luckily I only experience this in a car since I can filter in front of the bad drivers on my bike on a regular basis.

Same issue here but the nice people that planned the roads didn't do much to help. Here's one of many such lovely on-ramps on this stretch of road, notice the 90 degree corner and very little space to get up to speed. Pellissippi is a 55 zone but if you're doing less than 70 you get passed constantly.

Also check out the nice side-road joining the off-ramp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Came out of nowhere" is old person for "I wasnt paying attention and I dont want to admit it"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I don't think that's limited to old people.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No, but I feel like they use it the most

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWXndP5zP58

I know it's not enough engine to be strictly on-topic but this driver uses "I saw you" as an excuse for pulling out in front of this cyclist...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
That just hurts my brain.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWXndP5zP58

I know it's not enough engine to be strictly on-topic but this driver uses "I saw you" as an excuse for pulling out in front of this cyclist...

I'm so confused :psyduck:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I think she's trying to say she misjudged his speed and thought she could pull out in front of him and get down the road before he got there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Armyman25 posted:

I think she's trying to say she misjudged his speed and thought she could pull out in front of him and get down the road before he got there.

"Literally nothing in the universe is moving except myself and I expect you all to stay in the same positions as where I left you." Got it.

edit

VVVVV
Sorry if it sounds like I was attacking you. That woman was pretty loving dumb.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 4, 2014

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

"Literally nothing in the universe is moving except myself and I expect you all to stay in the same positions as where I left you." Got it.

I didn't say it was a smart position to take.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Today's thorn in my side is about batteries, specifically the ban on shipping them to APOs. To get a Yuasa gel battery is twice the price of Amazon if I buy it off the market in Korea.

Gotta see if the guy I borrowed tools off of when my radiator hose popped off can get it cheaper, gawdamn.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would have thought it would be CHEAPER bought in Korea locally. That sucks. Still, your local bike contact probably has a lead on a good price one.

My current gripe is that our apartment maintenance contractor walked off with my sv650 toolkit, 50 in rearset parts (that I've since replaced because I have to ride), and a sentimental value multitool that is now discontinued and expensive to find. This all happened earlier this month but I JUST NOW got in touch with a manager who seems concerned for my loss. Before now my calls were ignored.

She was really nice and asked me to send an email listing the missing items and links/prices for replacements in case they needed to go that route. I picked the least expensive option when reporting, but I still worry they will have sticker shock when they get this email. :(

I've been more than nice so far. I'm sure they just misunderstood and thought my toolkit was one of theirs in the rush. Thing is, if I'd gotten notified they would be in my apartment before they came by, I'd have cleared my gear from the work area and none of this would have happened.

The leatherman was given to me by one of the leatherman founders, too. :(

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Coydog posted:

I've been more than nice so far. I'm sure they just misunderstood and thought my toolkit was one of theirs in the rush.

:lol: if you believe this. I work with a lot of contractors and they are generally a bunch of scoundrels. The ones that aren't would have returned your kit immediately if it was an honest mistake, as they know how important/valuable tools are.

I found straight bathroom-stall style Sharpie tagging of THE CONTRACTORS NAME at my work after one particularly rough group left.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A number of years ago the building I work in had asbestos remediation done, so the whole place was bagged and closed to anyone but the contractors for a couple of months. When the building was opened back up, nearly $20,000 in Snap-On tools from the engine lab had just up and vanished! No one knew anything about it.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

:smith: You and me buddy. I'd love to do something more physical, but I don't know anything else that would pay nearly as well as being a sysadmin does.

I, too, would love to be a carpenter or something but I'm an IT manager because of the money. I don't even like my job it's boring as gently caress.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

chia posted:

I, too, would love to be a carpenter or something but I'm an IT manager because of the money. I don't even like my job it's boring as gently caress.
Seems to be how we all end up feeling after the first few years of IT work. I've bounced from SA to IA to management, and now back into "cloud engineering". Doesn't matter how cool the tech is anymore, it's all the same bullshit grind. Only thing I haven't done is a real DevOps gig. Seems like that might be really interesting work, but I'm too old to fall for the "Work 16 hour days but it's ok because of free food and foosball" scam.

If not for having a wife who likes nice things, I'd move to CA and open a bike repair shop with my dad and live like a peasant.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I had a job for a while writing control software for a factory. I'd write a new module and then I could go down to the floor and watch the robots respond to the new code; sometimes I'd set up tests to gauge their behavior. It was actually pretty cool. I think the key is seeing your work in action, if you're writing stuff and then mailing it off without real feedback (or playing computer janitor BOFH and fixing the exact same problems day in and out) it's a recipe for misery.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

A number of years ago the building I work in had asbestos remediation done, so the whole place was bagged and closed to anyone but the contractors for a couple of months. When the building was opened back up, nearly $20,000 in Snap-On tools from the engine lab had just up and vanished! No one knew anything about it.

I know an asbestos removals contractor, he once phoned me up and asked if I needed a lathe.

I did, but I didn't have the space at the time.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I see where you are coming from. It just doesn't make sense why that tool kit would have any value to anyone but me.

Jobchat- I've thought many times how I'd love to work something physical outdoors, then I remember how much like comfort. My loss, for sure.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Coydog posted:

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I see where you are coming from. It just doesn't make sense why that tool kit would have any value to anyone but me.

Realtalk: you'll do well in keeping that attitude when making new connections, but it's a shallow pond and it runs out fast. Boredom and apathy are readily found in high-turnover quickpace jobs and you should never underestimate them. Learn to recognize a quick, low-risk take and how easily it applies to you. Your toolkit seems customized to your bike because you built it, but any half-competent gearhead with a Harley in his garage will see value in a neat toolbox with a few bike-related implements in it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I had a guy open his door on me while lanesplitting :sigh: he kept it open so I couldn't get past, and I'd have smashed into him if I were only a few feet closer.

This is California. It's legal, gently caress you, and the next time I see your PT Cruiser I'm plugging your windows for messing with my livelihood.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Hey if any of you guys are like HTML or wordpress wizards or whatever hit me up I need your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I had a guy open his door on me while lanesplitting :sigh: he kept it open so I couldn't get past, and I'd have smashed into him if I were only a few feet closer.

This is California. It's legal, gently caress you, and the next time I see your PT Cruiser I'm plugging your windows for messing with my livelihood.

I had one guy do it once not deliberately to me, stopped traffic on the sliproad into the airport (I think the tunnel was blocked or closed). I think he was just getting out for a better look or a stretch or something. Luckily I was being very wary and had time to stop, he was pretty apologetic. Very occasionally I'll have someone crowd me, whether on purpose or to get a better view of the jam and it's annoying, but as soon as one lane moves a bit, you can get around, or just skip over to the other lane gap. I always think "you might have cost me 5 or 10 seconds, but I'll be home in 10 minutes and you'll still be stuck in this traffic jam". Bike wins.