Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Lord Bude posted:

I've received so many PMs for my vindaloo recipe now that I'm just going to post it here. Consider it Goan style Chilli. If anyone gets their knickers in a knot over a vindaloo in the chilli thread I'll consider editing it out.

Vindaloo:

Vindaloo is properly made with pork, but you could do it with lamb or chicken if you wanted to. I use metric measurements for 1cup/1tablespoon/1teaspoon, you'll need to convert them.

Step 1: Blend the following ingredients in a blender or food processor to form a smooth paste. This paste can either be added to the pot during cooking, or you can marinate your meat in it first, then toss it in.

-small bunch coriander (cilantro)
-1 head of garlic (keep 4 cloves reserved for later, and use proper purple garlic, not that white poo poo that comes from china)
- piece of ginger, roughly thumb sized
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- half a teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (you can use jaggery to be more authentic (and also less healthy))
- 6 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar (strictly speaking, coconut vinegar is more Authentic, but I struggle to find it)
2 fresh birdseye chillis

Step 2: dry roast the following in a frypan, and then grind to a powder in a mortar and pestle

-2 teaspoons black peppercorns
-5 cloves
-2 teaspoons corriander seeds
-2 teaspoons cumin seeds
-1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
-2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
-20 dried kashmiri chillies

Step 3: Cooking the curry

Ingredients

-4 medium red onions, finely diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced (the ones left over from step 1)
-1kg diced pork shoulder (optional: marinade overnight in paste from step 1)
-5 fresh birdseye chillies, finely diced
-thumb sized piece of ginger, minced
(optional) 1 tin diced tomatoes (as I mentioned earlier, strictly speaking, it isn't a traditional ingredient, but as with making --chilli some people like to add it for extra umami goodness.) If you do decide to add tomatoes, be sure to pick a brand that has been imported from italy, these are guaranteed not to have added firming agents.
-1 cinnamon stick
-4 bay leaves
-1 small bunch coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
-mustard seed oil
-finger's width slice from a stick of butter

Cover the bottom of a large pot with mustard seed oil, and add in the butter. Once it gets hot, add in the spice powder from step 2, the cinnamon stick, and the bay leaves, and let it fry for a minute or so.

toss in the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, and saute for a good 10 mins or so.(Indian cooking calls for onions to be browned further than you might typically brown them for)

add in the meat, and once it's browned pour in the remaining marinade (or if you didn't use the paste as a marinade, add it now). Add the tomatoes if you chose to use them, and a cup of water (or vegetable stock if you prefer)

Simmer gently for 3 hours, stirring periodically so that nothing catches on the bottom of the pot. add a touch of water if the sauce gets too thick, or keep the lid off to reduce the sauce down if it's too runny. Once you take it off the heat, stir the chopped coriander through. Serve with rice, naan and a good dollop of greek yoghurt.

• does not have beans - passes chili test
  • has mustard oil and vinegar - passes vindaloo test
  • has meat - passes both tests, all lights green

welcome to the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

mindphlux posted:

• does not have beans - passes chili test
  • has mustard oil and vinegar - passes vindaloo test
  • has meat - passes both tests, all lights green

welcome to the thread

I've been in this thread a long time. My Chilli is pretty awesome too, but it has beans in it:can:.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Chili with beans is good, chili without beans is also good.

Who cares

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Martello posted:

Chili with beans is good, chili without beans is also good.

Who cares

I sure as gently caress don't.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm bummed that the local candy store owned by a chile head was sold and no longer sells dried peppers. The lady had a bunch of them at decent prices and the sad selection I can find in my county are mostly marked up way too high. :smith:

But, luckily, my mother-in-law sent me a giant sack of milder peppers that make decent base that I can doctor up with other chilis I find reasonably priced. But it is running low. Any decent webstores with bulk dried chilis worth ordering? Or should I nag my wife's mother to send me another jumbo sack she can just buy cheaper than dirt on the side of the road?

Where do you live? I could potentially ship you chili peppers and it might still end up being cost-effective cause where I'm from in California the things are dirt cheap. I sent a big box of chilis to Dane and Happy Hat a couple years ago.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Northern New Hampshire and my Mother-in-law is in San Jose, so I will try to talk her out of another sack. Thanks for the offer, if she won't toss me some more, I'll toss you a P.M. :)

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Another New Englander here, can anyone recommend a chili powder blend I can buy online so that I can experience what non-ground-meat+spice-packet chili taste like? I can't find any dried peppers around here, all the ethnic markets I've seen are Eastern European, and I don't have a spice grinder / mortar and pestle anyways.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Neptr posted:

Another New Englander here, can anyone recommend a chili powder blend I can buy online so that I can experience what non-ground-meat+spice-packet chili taste like? I can't find any dried peppers around here, all the ethnic markets I've seen are Eastern European, and I don't have a spice grinder / mortar and pestle anyways.

Never ordered from here but they have everything:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/catagories-spices---herbs-chilipods.html

Also, the best thing to grind peppers in is a coffer grinder or like a magic bullet type thing. Even the cheapest one will last for ever if you are using it for spices.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Neptr posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VNGLA8

I've used it quite a bit doctored up with some magic bulleted dried peppers and a bit of freshly toasted cumin as available when I make chili. It is better than the mostly salt poo poo at the grocery store. And a pound will last a long rear end time, share it with friends.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Neptr posted:

I don't understand why this isn't the first thing people linked: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschilipeppers.html

That's my go-to ordering spot for chiles. If you want a blend, they have some really nice chili blends, I hear. I haven't tried them, but someone told me their Chili 3001 is really tasty.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Never ordered from here but they have everything:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/catagories-spices---herbs-chilipods.html

Also, the best thing to grind peppers in is a coffer grinder or like a magic bullet type thing. Even the cheapest one will last for ever if you are using it for spices.

Butch Cassidy posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VNGLA8

I've used it quite a bit doctored up with some magic bulleted dried peppers and a bit of freshly toasted cumin as available when I make chili. It is better than the mostly salt poo poo at the grocery store. And a pound will last a long rear end time, share it with friends.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I don't understand why this isn't the first thing people linked: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschilipeppers.html

That's my go-to ordering spot for chiles. If you want a blend, they have some really nice chili blends, I hear. I haven't tried them, but someone told me their Chili 3001 is really tasty.

These are all great, thanks! I went with the chili powder blend on Amazon so I can get two-day shipping and make a pot this week. Very excited.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
https://www.penderys.com is about 20% cheaper, Texas local, and has a way bigger selection than Penzey's. I love them.

As for buying preground, you can do that, but if you have a blender, soak in hot water/beef broth, then blend them instead of grinding dry. It's what I have been doing instead for a few years now, and it works great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you still toast cumin seeds?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yup. Toasted cumin is great and I use it in pretty much everything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So soak the peppers, and toast the cumin. Do you blend them together?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I quickly mortar my cumin because the mortar is right next to the stove and convenient to dump into and grind while the oil heats and meat browns, some toss it in a spice grinder, blending it with liquids peppers will leave it chunkier, but it will all be good. Just do whatever works best and most conveniently for you. The biggest thing is toasting whole cumin and it would even work alright whole.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

quote:

Table salt
1/2pound dried pinto beans (about 1 cup), rinsed and picked over
6 dried ancho chiles (about 1 3/4 ounces), stems and seeds removed, and flesh torn into 1-inch pieces (see note)
2-4 dried árbol chiles , stems removed, pods split, and seeds removed (see note)
3tablespoons cornmeal
2teaspoons dried oregano
2teaspoons ground cumin
2teaspoons cocoa powder
2 1/2cups low-sodium chicken broth
2medium onions , cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
3small jalapeño chiles , stems and seeds removed and discarded, and flesh cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3tablespoons vegetable oil
4medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
1(14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2teaspoons light molasses
3 1/2pounds blade steak , 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of gristle and fat and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (see note)
1(12-ounce) bottle mild-flavored lager , such as Budweiser
Instructions
1. Combine 3 tablespoons salt, 4 quarts water, and beans in large Dutch oven and bring to boil over high heat. Remove pot from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse well.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Place ancho chiles in 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat; toast, stirring frequently, until flesh is fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes, reducing heat if chiles begin to smoke. Transfer to bowl of food processor and cool. Do not wash out skillet.

3. Add árbol chiles, cornmeal, oregano, cumin, cocoa, and ½ teaspoon salt to food processor with toasted ancho chiles; process until finely ground, about 2 minutes. With processor running, very slowly add ½ cup broth until smooth paste forms, about 45 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Transfer paste to small bowl. Place onions in now-empty processor bowl and pulse until roughly chopped, about four 1-second pulses. Add jalapeños and pulse until consistency of chunky salsa, about four 1-second pulses, scraping down bowl as necessary.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until moisture has evaporated and vegetables are softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili paste, tomatoes, and molasses; stir until chili paste is thoroughly combined. Add remaining 2 cups broth and drained beans; bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer.

5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Pat beef dry with paper towels and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Add half of beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer meat to Dutch oven. Add ½ bottle lager to skillet, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits, and bring to simmer. Transfer lager to Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil, steak, and lager. Once last addition of lager has been added to Dutch oven, stir to combine and return mixture to simmer.

6. Cover pot and transfer to oven. Cook until meat and beans are fully tender, 1½ to 2 hours. Let chili stand, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir well and season to taste with salt before serving.

I'm starting my chili endeavour with the Cooks Illustrated Chili Recipe. Anyone have experience with this recipe? I don't wanna make a big batch of chili that is bunk. Is there a goon favorite recipe?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

5436 posted:

I'm starting my chili endeavour with the Cooks Illustrated Chili Recipe. Anyone have experience with this recipe? I don't wanna make a big batch of chili that is bunk. Is there a goon favorite recipe?

That looks like a pretty good recipe (for a chili with beans). Looks pretty similar to what I do when I make chili. For a goon favorite recipe, iron leg posted a recipe towards the beginning of the thread.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

The recipe looks pretty standard. If it was me, I would buy masa harina flour and use that instead of the corn meal, and I would use water and more beer (a dark one) instead of the chicken stock.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

adorai posted:

The recipe looks pretty standard. If it was me, I would buy masa harina flour and use that instead of the corn meal, and I would use water and more beer (a dark one) instead of the chicken stock.

I use beef stock over pretty much any other diluent, personally. I would never use water in my chili as it serves no purpose than to thin it and I like my chili unreasonably thick and goopy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm used to doing a powder, so I'm curious about how many chiles you guys add when you do the paste. Do you add any other herbs or spices (oregano) into the mix? How much cumin do you toast before you grind it up?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So I want to do some chili for the superbowl this sunday. The only place I can find with what seems like the proper selection of chilis here in London is this: http://www.coolchile.co.uk/categories/view/chillies

Which of these and how much should I get? It'll be for about 4 people who like things spicy but not blow your head off completely macho man vindaloo type spicy. Also people have mentioned also using mild peppers as some vegetable bulk. What kind? Just any? We can get very good mild red and green carribean peppers. Oh I can also easily get fresh scotch bonnets etc.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

NLJP posted:

So I want to do some chili for the superbowl this sunday. The only place I can find with what seems like the proper selection of chilis here in London is this: http://www.coolchile.co.uk/categories/view/chillies

Which of these and how much should I get? It'll be for about 4 people who like things spicy but not blow your head off completely macho man vindaloo type spicy. Also people have mentioned also using mild peppers as some vegetable bulk. What kind? Just any? We can get very good mild red and green carribean peppers. Oh I can also easily get fresh scotch bonnets etc.

You actually have a better selection available to you than I do. The chili blend that I'm using for the chili I'm making today (I'll post a bit about it when it finishes) uses: 3 Ancho/Passilia/Mulato + 2 New Mexico/California + 1 Arbol/Pequin. Looking at what is available on that site, you can actually use the exact blend I'm using today which is: 3 Ancho + 2 New Mexico + 1 Arbol. I also added two chipotle peppers en adobo, but you could use a single dried chipotle if you wanted a smokey flavor and don't have those available.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

NLJP posted:

I get all my chillis from this guy on Amazon, much cheaper and a fantastic selection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Chillipepperpete&index=grocery&search-type=ss

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

My girlfriend's just bought me some dried cascabel, ancho and habaneros. What's the best way to incorporate these into a chili?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Convexed posted:

My girlfriend's just bought me some dried cascabel, ancho and habaneros. What's the best way to incorporate these into a chili?

The process I use is to first roast them in a pan/oven for 3-5 mins, then seed them and cut them into strips. Place those strips in pot with a cup of beef broth and simmer for about 5 mins, add your other seasonings (e.g. cumin, oregano, etc), and then continue to simmer until the chilis are soft, usually a couple more mins. Finally, place the liquid + chilis + seasonings in a blender and blend until smooth. This way you make a chili paste out of the dried chilis instead of a powder, which helps cut down on the grittiness of the final product.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

That sounds mighty fine! I'll get back to you with results. Thanks chili Gods!

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
The cooks illustrated recipe was solid. It wasn't super thick but which at first dissapointed me but I still liked it a lot. Needed a bit of salt at the end and I'd double the amount of crushed tomatoes next time. I also wouldn't use the food processor on the onions/jalapenos. It's better to just chop them.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This might get some hate but I usually make chili with one of those cheap "15 Bean Soup" bags. Lots of cheap healthy protein and fiber as well as some real variety. Sausage or ground pork for the meat.
http://www.hurstbeans.com/products/1/15-bean-soup

Getting them soft and fully cooked is kinda of a pain and can lead to overcooking the actual chili. This last time I boiled the poo poo out of them separately in highly salted water and rinsed them thoroughly in the strainer. Because of this I barely needed to salt the actual chili and great flavor all around. Unfortunately one of those small chipotle/adobo cans is still too spicy for my wife.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

This might get some hate but I usually make chili with one of those cheap "15 Bean Soup" bags. Lots of cheap healthy protein and fiber as well as some real variety. Sausage or ground pork for the meat.
http://www.hurstbeans.com/products/1/15-bean-soup

Getting them soft and fully cooked is kinda of a pain and can lead to overcooking the actual chili. This last time I boiled the poo poo out of them separately in highly salted water and rinsed them thoroughly in the strainer. Because of this I barely needed to salt the actual chili and great flavor all around. Unfortunately one of those small chipotle/adobo cans is still too spicy for my wife.

No, you don't usually make chilli.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah. It sounds like you're making spicy bean soup. Which I'm sure is delicious, don't get me wrong, but it's fundamentally not chili.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah. It sounds like you're making spicy bean soup. Which I'm sure is delicious, don't get me wrong, but it's fundamentally not chili.

Well I'm not sure he's making that either. I don't recall soups containing seasoning packets featuring:

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Maltodextrin, salt, artificial flavorings (including artificial smoke flavor), silicone dioxide (added less than 2% as an anti-caking agent)

Unless this is being left out and placed in the kitchen bin where it belongs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bunnielab posted:

You drink open wine after a month?

wait how long does wine last anyway, because I only use it sparingly in cooking, like a dash, so I can have an opened bottle for months and months.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

wait how long does wine last anyway, because I only use it sparingly in cooking, like a dash, so I can have an opened bottle for months and months.

It doesn't matter as much if you're just using it for cooking, especially if it has a screw top, but if you were drinking it you would ideally drink the entire bottle at once. Maybe it'd be ok-ish the next day, with a screw top but that would be it.

If you're leaving it for months and months for cooking purposes I would imagine at some point in its lifespan it would cease being a substance recognizable as 'wine' and become something more properly referred to as 'vinegar'.

That being said if you're using that disgusting substance that is specifically labeled 'cooking wine', that poo poo is usually full of added salt and preservatives.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

The Lord Bude posted:

Well I'm not sure he's making that either. I don't recall soups containing seasoning packets featuring:

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Maltodextrin, salt, artificial flavorings (including artificial smoke flavor), silicone dioxide (added less than 2% as an anti-caking agent)

Unless this is being left out and placed in the kitchen bin where it belongs.

Ha no this time I threw that away. Although I used 1 packet of Goya Foods Ham Flavor Concentrate I picked up, which seemed like a superior version of the same thing, it's also a flavorful way to add salt. The can of Coca-Cola in addition to the usual beer is a great call, from Iron Leg's recipe on Page 1. Next time I may seek out some Hominy or Masa.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

Ha no this time I threw that away. Although I used 1 packet of Goya Foods Ham Flavor Concentrate I picked up, which seemed like a superior version of the same thing, it's also a flavorful way to add salt. The can of Coca-Cola in addition to the usual beer is a great call, from Iron Leg's recipe on Page 1. Next time I may seek out some Hominy or Masa.

Flavour doesn't come in packets. It's produced from time, care, and quality ingredients.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Comb Your Beard posted:

This might get some hate but I usually make chili with one of those cheap "15 Bean Soup" bags.

Getting them soft and fully cooked is kinda of a pain and can lead to overcooking the actual chili.

I barely needed to salt the actual chili and great flavor all around.

Unfortunately one of those small chipotle/adobo cans is still too spicy for my wife.

I can't tell if this is the biggest troll of this entire thread, or if you and your wife are just incredibly boring people completely inept at cooking, but :psyduck:

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I am currently working my way through the worst chili I have ever had. A friend invited me over earlier to try what he made for a chili cook off and my god is it bad. Olives, onions that are nearly raw, whole pods with stems and seeds, ground beef, beans. What's sucks is I can't be a dick and say its poo poo so I am trying to grin and bear it. Why do people insist on adding so much to what is such a great and simple dish on its own?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Throwdown posted:

I am currently working my way through the worst chili I have ever had. A friend invited me over earlier to try what he made for a chili cook off and my god is it bad. Olives, onions that are nearly raw, whole pods with stems and seeds, ground beef, beans. What's sucks is I can't be a dick and say its poo poo so I am trying to grin and bear it. Why do people insist on adding so much to what is such a great and simple dish on its own?

Why do you have to force yourself to eat poo poo?

Worst yet, where did he place in the chili cookoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Going in for my first tomatoeless, beanless chili. Here goes.

(I live in the UK - the waste land of chili. You'd laugh at what goes for chili 'round here. :()