Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Conquistador posted:

I liked Vic the whole show tbh

This is a good question, I mean, I empathized with Vic the whole time, I could understand what, why, and how he was doing what he did. But I can't honestly say I liked him at all by the end. Pinpointing exactly where I started disliking him is kinda tough though.

Shane however, has always been on my shitlist, character wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Error 404 posted:

That's pretty much it. The last 3 seasons its easy to still like Vic(even if maybe you aren't rooting for him to succeed anymore) because he's always going up against Shane who is like the biggest dick ever.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I liked Vic up until he started blatantly putting his own interests before his family. I can see his "ends justify the means" perspective, even if I don't agree with it, but once he starts neglecting his family, in spite of them supposedly being his top priority, I want to start smacking his arrogant, short-sighted, deluded rear end around (not really though because he'd kick the poo poo out of me).

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I love when his mentor comes and is even more ridiculous than Vic. Just do more good than harm and its a-okay!

Spoiler was just about a minor character and references one line of dialogue so I doubt it would ruin much if you read it as a newcomer to the show.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Error 404 posted:

They would almost give you reason to really emphasize with Shane and then BOOM, he does something lovely again. But still a great character.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TUS posted:

They would almost give you reason to really emphasize with Shane and then BOOM, he does something lovely again. But still a great character.

Definitely a great character, and I like the hell out of Walton Goggins, but that man just has a tendency to always play characters I wanna nut punch.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Error 404 posted:

Definitely a great character, and I like the hell out of Walton Goggins, but that man just has a tendency to always play characters I wanna nut punch.

I don't know, I find Boyd Crowder to be downright likable, I'd have a Pappy Van Winkle with him.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't know, I find Boyd Crowder to be downright likable, I'd have a Pappy Van Winkle with him.

Not as likeable as Venus Van Damme

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Season 3 around 5ish episodes. Knowing what's already going to happen changes the way I view peoples motives. Still like Vic starting to dislike Shane even though if you wrote a check list of rear end hole things Shane would be on the lower end. The fact they had Vic kill the cop in the pilot sets a high bar and the rest of his actions make you forget that one little action all those episodes ago. Also really catching all of his quirks this time through, god that man has a nasty sneer/glare.

Found out the actor was ready working on a script for a cop show. Looking at his pictures when he was larger and had hair make him look like a entirely different show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Darth Freddy posted:

Season 3 around 5ish episodes. Knowing what's already going to happen changes the way I view peoples motives. Still like Vic starting to dislike Shane even though if you wrote a check list of rear end hole things Shane would be on the lower end. The fact they had Vic kill the cop in the pilot sets a high bar and the rest of his actions make you forget that one little action all those episodes ago. Also really catching all of his quirks this time through, god that man has a nasty sneer/glare.

Found out the actor was ready working on a script for a cop show. Looking at his pictures when he was larger and had hair make him look like a entirely different show.

Michael Chiklis' role in The Commish had him wearing a fat suit. Plus, he worked out like crazy for the role of Mackey.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Yeah his imdb says he dropped 50 pounds.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Vic and Shane were always irredeemable pieces of poo poo. Definitely great characters, and brilliant entertainment watching them get in and out of trouble, but I never liked or rooted for either of them, really. The Shield was the Claudette & Dutch show for me, if I was cheering for anyone.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
My girlfriend and I drunk speed watched these in like 1 weekend a few years ago. We stopped when Vic's team like held up a truck or something, using automatic weapons. I think they stole lots of cash? I really don't remember much.

After that we just kinda "forgot" and lost track of the show. I really want to pick it back up though. What season were we on?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

My girlfriend and I drunk speed watched these in like 1 weekend a few years ago. We stopped when Vic's team like held up a truck or something, using automatic weapons. I think they stole lots of cash? I really don't remember much.

After that we just kinda "forgot" and lost track of the show. I really want to pick it back up though. What season were we on?

That's the season 2 finale.

The "last time on The Shield..." will probably refresh your memory, but you're describing the strike team robbing millions of dollars (aka "the money train") from the Armenian mafia.

You're in for a ride.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

That's the season 2 finale.

The "last time on The Shield..." will probably refresh your memory, but you're describing the strike team robbing millions of dollars (aka "the money train") from the Armenian mafia.

You're in for a ride.

Sweet thanks.

What's the best way to watch the show? Is it on Netflix on demand or available online somewhere?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's free with Amazon Prime, if you've got that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

First 6 seasons are on Netflix (Canada) now, for anyone reading this who's interested.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
It's also on Hulu+ if you don't mind the commercials. I got a month subscription for the sole purpose of watching The Shield. Amazon is probably the way to go, though, if you're willing to pay the yearly membership. I think there is a free trial you can get as well.

oshuaj posted:

Vic and Shane were always irredeemable pieces of poo poo. Definitely great characters, and brilliant entertainment watching them get in and out of trouble, but I never liked or rooted for either of them, really. The Shield was the Claudette & Dutch show for me, if I was cheering for anyone.

Same for me, if I was rooting for anybody it was Claudette and Dutch. And Billings, Billings was the loving best. But there were points in the series when I found myself rooting for Vic, and often against Claudette.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Welp Dutch just S3.11 killed the cat again I really hate this part.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

Welp Dutch just S3.11 killed the cat again I really hate this part.

That scene has left an imprint in my mind I can never erase. I can watch people get killed on film, and it's no problem. I guess I'm desensitized to it. But a kitty cat? Traumatizing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Darth Freddy posted:

I really think that's the worst decision the writers made. I would have much rather seen Vic start out with extorting drug dealers and the like and build up, rather than have him go straight to murdering a cop right off the bat. It really hurt his character development, since it pretty much kills any shot the character has at redeeming himself in the eyes of the audience no matter what he does. Don't get me wrong, it's a great show, but that incident really should have been placed around Season 4.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 9, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^Spoiler tag that.

I disagree. I found it extremely shocking and it hooked me instantly. I continued watching, and to my astonishment, they had me rooting for Vic again by Season 4. It wasn't until the final few episodes that I realized how I can been conned by Vic too, just like everyone else, in spite of having more knowledge than the other characters. It was just masterful storytelling.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I agree with escape artist. I can't envision this show, let alone the first season, without the event that happened in the pilot happening in the pilot. If you really want to embrace the idea of an anti-hero, why not go all out in the first episode? We wouldn't have had that internal conflict between Shane and Vic, and the external conflict between the strike team and Aceveda. They wouldn't have established the culture of deception and lies that was a hallmark of this show. If they would have started out with Vic simply extorting drug dealers, built up, and eventually had him kill a cop in the fourth season, I don't know if I would have had the patience to watch that show. It would have just been like any other crime drama with your stereotypical crooked cop. I'm not exaggerating when I say The Shield's pilot is one of the best ever, if not the best, because it was such a shock to the system and it was so memorable. I remember thinking after the pilot, how are they going to top this? And to my surprise, and my delight, it kept that intensity and never really let up in 7 seasons.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Exploder posted:

I agree with escape artist. I can't envision this show, let alone the first season, without the event that happened in the pilot happening in the pilot. If you really want to embrace the idea of an anti-hero, why not go all out in the first episode? We wouldn't have had that internal conflict between Shane and Vic, and the external conflict between the strike team and Aceveda. They wouldn't have established the culture of deception and lies that was a hallmark of this show. If they would have started out with Vic simply extorting drug dealers, built up, and eventually had him kill a cop in the fourth season, I don't know if I would have had the patience to watch that show. It would have just been like any other crime drama with your stereotypical crooked cop. I'm not exaggerating when I say The Shield's pilot is one of the best ever, if not the best, because it was such a shock to the system and it was so memorable. I remember thinking after the pilot, how are they going to top this? And to my surprise, and my delight, it kept that intensity and never really let up in 7 seasons.

You also have to remember that They made it seem he was the focus of the show. He, CC Pounder and Michael Chiklis were really the only ones who have starred on network TV shows before. Your idea would also remove the money train and all the other poo poo that they did.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

escape artist posted:

^^Spoiler tag that.

I disagree. I found it extremely shocking and it hooked me instantly. I continued watching, and to my astonishment, they had me rooting for Vic again by Season 4. It wasn't until the final few episodes that I realized how I can been conned by Vic too, just like everyone else, in spite of having more knowledge than the other characters. It was just masterful storytelling.

I agree with this and I honestly think it's what differentiated itself from a lot of other 'classic cop show ensemble' pilots before and after it. The final scene of the pilot is what helped wear out my first copy of this on dvd because so many friends borrowed this once I showed it to them.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I remember reading that Crowley was originally scripted to get shot as the S1 finale but FX wanted a more memorable event for the pilot so they moved it and went from there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If I were to redo it, I'd maybe make it go down with Vic maybe not saving Terry when he easily could have, but him having orchestrated Terry being in danger in the first place. Like maybe Terry's about to fall to his death, and Vic barely tries to help him. Luther-style.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Goddammit, if you're gonna spoil other shows underneath your spoiler tag, then warn us. I just started Luther yesterday.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

escape artist posted:

Goddammit, if you're gonna spoil other shows underneath your spoiler tag, then warn us. I just started Luther yesterday.

It's the very first scene :psyduck:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's the very first scene :psyduck:

...I didn't start from the first episode...
:foot in mouth:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

escape artist posted:

...I didn't start from the first episode...
:foot in mouth:

Well, that's just more of a reason for -> :psyduck:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I thought The Shield was slowing down after a decent season 4, but season 5 just knocked my loving balls off. Holy crap! 5 is definitely my favorite season so far.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is there another thread where I can ask about a song used in season 2? I just want the song from a fairly major scene but haven't had much luck searching the internet for it. I don't want to say 'when x does to y' in a spoiler since I'd say it's significant.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nah, just post it here, under spoiler tags. Almost everyone here has seen the show, we'd love to help.

What you could also do is check IMDB for that specific episode, and look in the music credits. They sometimes list stuff that the show doesn't even credit at the end. Worked for me with Breaking Bad (Wang Chung / Dance Hall Days).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the reply, essentially it's the music on when Vic melts Armadillo's face

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
"Cuentan Que El" by Whitehouse

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks, now to make the relevant part into a ringtone :black101:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Terry Crowley's murder is one of those things where there isn't a perfect answer because who could have known they'd get a full seven seasons to flesh the characters out. At the time it was needed to instantly grab viewers, and I still agree that at the time it was the right decision. It was just unfortunate in light of where the show went in later seasons because it made it all but impossible for most viewers to feel like Vic could be redeemed in any meaningful way.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 4, 2014

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Lofty132 posted:

Thanks, now to make the relevant part into a ringtone :black101:

And make your wallpaper a pic of a stovetop coil to hold against your face each time a call comes in. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ratatozsk posted:

And make your wallpaper a pic of a stovetop coil to hold against your face each time a call comes in. :v:

Oh my god this is brilliant!

• Locked thread