Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

3Romeo posted:

did i call it or did i call it

Yes, you did, but to be fair, it's like calling that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

I actually loved Needful Things enough that the ending didn't bother me all too much. Just the visuals of some old, evil thing/man selling antiques and being generally a bad guy engrossed me.

I used to say that whatever my opinion of a King book was, the movie or miniseries would be the opposite. Needful Things was my prime example. Book = Loved it, hated the ending. Movie - Hated it, loved the ending.

kaworu posted:

But of course he got hooked and is (reluctantly) enjoying the hell out of listening to it. He finally got to the first set of 1958 flashbacks and is now *really* loving it. But he is also obviously quite disquieted. Something he mentioned was that he really liked the first Derry Interlude chapter, and that at least one of the oral historian sorta guys Mike Hanlon "talks" to was a real person, which I found amusing. It always is fun to read King as a Mainer because the amount of in-jokes and references that only Mainers would understand is pretty shockingly great.

One of the last times I spoke with my grandfather over the phone before he died, we discussed King's writing. Grandpa said he thought King was a hack, because in one of his short stories someone had a bird fetus growing inside their skull (I have no idea what story that's from if accurate), so he'd never read another story by King since. (We're both from Maine, too, though we'd never lived close enough to run into Mr. King ourselves.) I explained that though he had a lot of weird and creepy stories like that, he'd also written some great fun stories, like a Sherlock Holmes one where Watson figures out the mystery first, or about two brothers who try to save humanity but end up destroying it instead. He acknowledged that he might have been hasty in his judgment, and might get around to reading one of King's books afterward. If he did, I didn't get to talk to him about it, but it was a fun conversation...one of the very few subjects we talked about in detail besides painting.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Grillburg posted:

or about two brothers who try to save humanity but end up destroying it instead.

Which story is this?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Which story is this?

That sounds like The End of the Whole Mess.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The End of The Whole Mess, in Nightmares and Dreamscapes. There was a movie made out of with with Ron Livingston which was actually pretty good for a network Stephen King adaption (not that that bar is particularly high).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its such a goddamn depressing short story too.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Grillburg posted:

Grandpa said he thought King was a hack, because in one of his short stories someone had a bird fetus growing inside their skull (I have no idea what story that's from if accurate), so he'd never read another story by King since.

This sounds like a misremembering of The Dark Half, maybe. The guy has a tumor and he sees birds when it causes problems?

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

The Berzerker posted:

This sounds like a misremembering of The Dark Half, maybe. The guy has a tumor and he sees birds when it causes problems?

I'm pretty sure that's The Dark Half with the writer and his alter-ego and all the birds. That was one creepy book.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Pheeets posted:

I'm pretty sure that's The Dark Half with the writer and his alter-ego and all the birds. That was one creepy book.

Yeah, it's the way I like Stephen King - not a lot of hope, hella bleak, like Pet Semetary and The Bachman books. Bachman stories might be over-the-top and pulpy, but they didn't pull a lot of punches or introduce aliens/magical retards to get resolution.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I agree, I like King either at his darkest, bleakest, and most pronouncedly disturbing... or the stuff where he goes in another direction and decides to do subtle character pieces (The Body, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Hearts in Atlantis).

I honestly think the short story version of Shawshank almost gets short shrift at times because it happened to be adapted into what is probably the most loved film made in the last 40 years at least. But it was one drat fine story underlying that film and all the other things that makes it great, and part of it is that Stephen King has this wonderful to draw up the most loathsome, archetypally evil villains and then give them the most satisfyingly just comeuppance possible in the end... If he feels like it. I guess it wouldn't be special if it happened all the time.

Oh, and my dad continues to trudge slowly through IT, and I am sincerely proud of him. I think he is really, truly shocked at just how disturbing and how extreme the material in this book is; the truth is that King just goes in places in books like IT that most authors wouldn't loving dare approach, because it's so disturbing and so upsetting and so dark. I've always been so impressed by King's willingness to just let his psyche go there and open himself up to these horrid things. My dad is definitely feeling that, several hundred pages through IT now, heh.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think I can speak for the thread when I say that we'd all like to hear more of your dad's thoughts about IT and King as a writer. I've been reading him as far back as I can remember and so I'm interested in the perspective of someone not familiar with his work, or, I presume, with horror in general.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kaworu posted:

I agree, I like King either at his darkest, bleakest, and most pronouncedly disturbing... or the stuff where he goes in another direction and decides to do subtle character pieces (The Body, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Hearts in Atlantis).

I honestly think the short story version of Shawshank almost gets short shrift at times because it happened to be adapted into what is probably the most loved film made in the last 40 years at least. But it was one drat fine story underlying that film and all the other things that makes it great, and part of it is that Stephen King has this wonderful to draw up the most loathsome, archetypally evil villains and then give them the most satisfyingly just comeuppance possible in the end... If he feels like it. I guess it wouldn't be special if it happened all the time.

Another reason that Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption works so well since its the exact opposite as another short story in the book - Apt Pupil. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption is full of hope and how people can stay good in horrible situations Apt Pupil is the opposite. There is no hope in that story as all the characters are completely broken or get killed by the broken people. The shift in tone between the two is amazing.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
King really stands out as a writer in terms of his willingness to present people as being either genuinely quite good or exceptionally evil. I feel like most character driven author's you read, even more literary ones, will tend to present people one way or the other. King by contrast really does produce stories with characters who fall very far on one end of the spectrum or the other without it feeling like he's just describing a cardboard caricature. He isn't like Brett Easton Ellis where every character is an utter scumbag to the point that it becomes distracting and you start to wonder how much insight the author actually has into other people.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EDIT: Wrong goddamn thread

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 29, 2014

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

kaworu posted:

I do consider Different Seasons to be his finest, if atypical, work, and it has resulted in the best filmed versions of his work. Of course I love Stand By Me as well as Shawshank but I thought that Apt Pupil was quite good too and was really hopeful for The Breathing Method when the rights were bought a couple of years ago. There are quite a few actresses who could carry the part off exceptionally. Emma Stone springs to mind.

quote:

Oh, and my dad continues to trudge slowly through IT, and I am sincerely proud of him. I think he is really, truly shocked at just how disturbing and how extreme the material in this book is; the truth is that King just goes in places in books like IT that most authors wouldn't loving dare approach, because it's so disturbing and so upsetting and so dark. I've always been so impressed by King's willingness to just let his psyche go there and open himself up to these horrid things. My dad is definitely feeling that, several hundred pages through IT now, heh.

The late James Herbert, English horror writer, was a contemporary of King and they were in mutual admiration of each other. Herbert is more disturbing and extreme than King, though. I say this because when I finished his book Others I distinctly recall thinking "If I had these thoughts in my head I would get therapy, and never, ever write them down." Much as I truly love Herbert's work, I think there was something badly hosed up in his head that takes the edge off King's opus for me.

Sarah Bellum fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 29, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kaworu posted:

I agree, I like King either at his darkest, bleakest, and most pronouncedly disturbing

Consider checking out Full Dark, No Stars if you haven't already. I've read nearly his entire bibliography, and while a couple of the stories in that collection are a bit on the stupid side, they're all pitch, pitch, pitch black.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Oxxidation posted:

Consider checking out Full Dark, No Stars if you haven't already. I've read nearly his entire bibliography, and while a couple of the stories in that collection are a bit on the stupid side, they're all pitch, pitch, pitch black.

Seconded. As far as stories about directing violence toward other people go, these can't be beat. Bleak...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Thirding.

Just the first one was enough to make me cringe. Putting Big Driver into the collection was brutal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I had to read another book simultaneously with that one because it was so brutal to read. I needed something light every few days to break it up.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, my dad sent me an e-mail linking me to this today, the bastard. We have been having a discussion as to whether Derry is more like Bangor (his opinion) or more like Lewiston (my opinion). Big point in his favor here: this landmark is commonly known as "The Bangor Standpipe" since it's the oldest in the area, built in 1897.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hill_Standpipe

quote:

Widely regarded as the inspiration for the haunted standpipe in the Stephen King novel It. King's house is within walking distance.

Yeahhh. So if you ever wondered what The Standpipe really looks like more or less, there ya go.

Oh, and I found a nice used hardcover copy of Full Dark, No Stars at my local used bookstore for $4, so I'm feeling 'happy' about that, hah. I'm guessing this is one of those books I'm going to want to hide in a drawer somewhere when I'm done (like certain other King books) just so it's not sitting on my normal shelf with perfectly innocent books that don't creep the poo poo out of me, heh.

edit: can't type

kaworu fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 31, 2014

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

kaworu posted:

Hey guys, my dad sent me an e-mail linking me to this today, the bastard. We have been having a discussion as to whether Derry is more like Bangor(his opinion) or more like Lewiston (my opinion. Big point in his favor here: This landmark is commonly known as "The Bangor Standpipe" since it's the oldest in the area, built in 1897.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hill_Standpipe

Yeahhh. So if you ever wondered what The Standpipe really looks like more or less, there ya go.

Oh, and I found a nice used hardcover copy of Full Dark, No Stars at my local used bookstore for $4, so I'm feeling 'happy' about that, hah. I'm guessing this is one of those books I'm going to want to hide in a drawer somnewhere when I'm done (like certain other King books) just so it's no sitting on my normal shelf with perfectly innocent books that don't creep the poo poo out of me, heh.

Great find on Wikipedia, I had a totally different idea of how that looked.

And I have a totally separate section in one of my bookshelves for my King books, for the same reason. Sometimes I just don't wanna know.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I will not lie. I have always envisioned the Standpipe as a gigantic pipe sticking out of the ground.

Like in Mario.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I will not lie. I have always envisioned the Standpipe as a gigantic pipe sticking out of the ground.

Like in Mario.

I envisioned a 16 foot concrete high pipe mouth, horizontal, leading back through a cliffside above the swamps.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Like in Mario.

Glad I'm not the only one. The other day I was talking to a woman about Stephen King books and discovered that she liked Gerald's Game. (she bought From A Buick 8 that day though so her taste is suspect)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sarah Bellum posted:

The late James Herbert, English horror writer, was a contemporary of King and they were in mutual admiration of each other. Herbert is more disturbing and extreme than King, though. I say this because when I finished his book Others I distinctly recall thinking "If I had these thoughts in my head I would get therapy, and never, ever write them down." Much as I truly love Herbert's work, I think there was something badly hosed up in his head that takes the edge off King's opus for me.

Got any good recommendations for him? What's a good place to start?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Fog is a good read. '48 is decent, though it's more thriller than horror. The Ash trilogy - Haunted, The Ghost of Sleath, and Ash - are worth a shot too. The Ghosts of Sleath is one of my favourite books. Very creepy and disturbing.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Got any good recommendations for him? What's a good place to start?

I haven't read that many James Herbert books, but I personally liked The Fog, and if you're even slightly creeped out by rodents then The Rats is well worth terrifying yourself with.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
All of the above are sound suggestions, but I'd note that almost all of Herbert's fans started with The Rats and The Fog.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Aquarium Gravel posted:

I envisioned a 16 foot concrete high pipe mouth, horizontal, leading back through a cliffside above the swamps.

Definitely my mental image

April
Jul 3, 2006

So it looks like Stephen King is coming out with 2 books this year:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_king101

and

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Mercedes-Stephen-King-ebook/dp/B00GEEB52S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391200718&sr=8-1&keywords=stephen+king+mercedes

I think Revival looks like it'll be better, but it also looks like SK is going back to the issue of MAJOR ADDICTION. I liked the way he handled it in Doctor Sleep, but I really, really hope that addiction doesn't become the new click in the throat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, we have a full plot for Revival now. It sounds way better than Mr. Mercedes, which I think will be a disappointment.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Stephen King got himself into a little firestorm with his ~opinions~ on Twitter recently, in regard to Mia Farrow's writing about Woody Allen.

At first it seemed like he was calling Mia Farrow's writing "bitchy" (which is what almost everyone is assuming), but it's looking like he might have been responding to a (not bitchy if you understand any aspect of what she's talking about) article. If it was the first, that's pretty much the most mindblowingly wrong thing he's ever said in any writing.

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/02/04/dylan-farrow-woody-allen-stephen-king/

Either way he meant it... Yeah. :stare:

*edit* Reading it again, I'm 90% sure he's responding to the article. Still horrifically facepalm-worthy.

Locus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 4, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I love the guy, but he's culturally parked somewhere between 1960 and 1975.

Edit: That article really is poo poo, though.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 4, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I still don't understand why anyone uses twitter or why you'd express an actual opinion over it. I "get" other social media but twitter just seems stupid beyond words.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013

Helsing posted:

I still don't understand why anyone uses twitter or why you'd express an actual opinion over it. I "get" other social media but twitter just seems stupid beyond words.

I'm with you. Twitter seems like the equivalent of fiddling with an old piece of technology for nostalgia purposes, but is incredibly dumb for trying to communicate now.

"Hey, I figured out how to draw pictures with my old Commodore 64 in Basic. And now all of these celebrities and corporations are doing it to advertise themselves! What the hell?"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just finished IT. Definitely not disappointed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Taeke posted:

I just finished IT. Definitely not disappointed.

Would you care to elaborate?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would you care to elaborate?

Yes, of course. Sorry, it was late last night after a long day, so I didn't feel up to writing more.

It's been 15 years since I saw the movie. I was 11 at the time and it terrified me (and traumatized my little sister who absolutely wanted to watch it with us.) I'm glad I put off reading until now, since I'm a bit older, more experienced and can appreciate it more.
Some sections creeped me right the gently caress out, although to a lesser extent than I had anticipated. Still, the scene (for example) when Bev revisits her childhood home was excellent, and reminded me of Pet Semetary in that you know exactly what is going to happen but you can't look away. Other parts were kind of meh, particularly towards the end. There were some segments where I couldn't help but start scanning rather than reading in the aftermath. Yeah, Derry's going to hell, but I don't particularly need to read each and every detailed death occuring. When this was discussed in the thread I was about halfway through and I thought the direct victims of It were meant, which confused me because those deaths are interesting and creepy and I loved the detail.
Also, I was kind of forewarned about the sex scene, which wasn't as bad as I'd expected but still out of place.

All in all it took me around 2 weeks to get through it, which is a good sign for such a lengthy work. I remember lying in bed around 11pm, thinking I'd just read an hour or so before sleep, and the next moment I looked at the clock it was 2:30am. So yeah, it did not disappoint and I'm kind of sad it's over. Thankfully I still have plenty of his other works to read. I think I'm going to read The Talisman next.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Helsing posted:

I still don't understand why anyone uses twitter

Great source for funny things or for breaking news.

Helsing posted:

or why you'd express an actual opinion over it

Good question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Closing in on the finale of 'salem's Lot, I'm finding it kind of weird how King goes on about the power of whiteness. It's making me reflect on how the opposing force to "white" in nearly everything else is "black", but in King's universe it's red. The eternal battle between black and white is understandable, but that same battle cast between red and white just makes me want a candy cane.