Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
NANOG60 in Atlanta has blown up as far as attendance. When I registered mid-January there was only 180 attendees, now there is 447.

Agenda looks pretty good if anyone is still on the fence:
https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog60/agenda

I'm most looking forward to the Beer-n-Gear :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's not Cisco-related, but there's no general "enterprise networking" thread.

Juniper Firefly launched today, which is pretty awesome-sounding. I'd love to try it out if I had a support account. It's being advertised as a "cloud services security" solution, but it's basically an SRX-series in a VM.

It's about time Juniper released an officially-supported virtual router.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

QPZIL posted:

It's not Cisco-related, but there's no general "enterprise networking" thread.

Juniper Firefly launched today, which is pretty awesome-sounding. I'd love to try it out if I had a support account. It's being advertised as a "cloud services security" solution, but it's basically an SRX-series in a VM.

I've been using Firefly for about a year know (when it was just vSRX). It's awesome for a home lab environment.

I suggest turning them into Packet Mode routers (no security stuff) for practicing routing protocols, etc. Also, in VMWare, I suggest limiting their CPU aggressively (maybe to a few hundred MHz) to let you stack a lot of them on one box (they don't need all that CPU).

It looks like the new download is a few code revs newer (still 12.1), much more chatty at the console during boot (gives info on every loaded module and driver info instead of being completely quiet), and has no license associated with it (so it shouldn't expire!).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
But apparently I can't download it because I don't have a service contract :negative:

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

QPZIL posted:

Cisco released an officially supported virtual router?

QPZIL posted:

But apparently I can't download it because I don't have a service contract :negative:

That is available without a service contract?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I won't post any :filez: here but the email I got from our Juniper partner rep said: "And we invite you and your customers to download the software for test drives" so I can't imagine you'd have a hard time talking to your Juniper rep to get a d/l.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You could sign up for an "eval account" if you'd rather not talk to your rep for some reason. The link is on the right of this page:

http://www.juniper.net/support/downloads/?p=junosvfirefly-eval#sw

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

You could sign up for an "eval account" if you'd rather not talk to your rep for some reason. The link is on the right of this page:

I like the cut of your jib.

Grabbing to play :cool:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

NANOG60 in Atlanta has blown up as far as attendance. When I registered mid-January there was only 180 attendees, now there is 447.

Agenda looks pretty good if anyone is still on the fence:
https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog60/agenda

I'm most looking forward to the Beer-n-Gear :smug:

Last minute NANOG attendee registrations is pretty typical. Most people reserve the hotel and then go "oh gently caress i need to register" the week before they leave. Sad to miss Atlanta but I look forward to Seattle though~

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Well, I mispoke. I should have said switch - the Nexus gear can be virtualized.

SamDabbers posted:

Thanks!

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

I think there are VMs for the ASR1001 router and some Nexus switch.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The NX-OS virtual machine called "Titanium" is what I was thinking of.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

inignot posted:

I think there are VMs for the ASR1001 router and some Nexus switch.

CSR1000V (cloud services router). IOS-XE VM. Licensed based on throughput.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SamDabbers posted:

Thanks!

Existenzangst
Jul 19, 2013

pew pew

ragzilla posted:

CSR1000V (cloud services router). IOS-XE VM. Licensed based on throughput.

Huh... Cisco sells VM routers? Nice to know!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

So we recently replaced an old Juniper SSG with an ASA 5515-X. I've got everything working like it used to except one item. I have two internal web servers that need to be externally and internally accessible on external IPs. Since that's two of the same task, I'll just talk about one.

WAN1: 10.1.1.15/32
WAN2: 10.2.2.77/29
Inside: 10.3.3.1/24

web server: 10.3.3.10

config:
code:
object network WebServer
 host 10.3.3.10
 nat (inside,WAN2) static 10.2.2.79

*appropriate access list entries*
So this works to make the server accessible on the outside. The problem is, I'd like to allow inside clients to also access the server on its outside IP. I know this is inefficient, but it's only used by a handful of employees, and it saves me from loving around with an internal DNS zone matching our public site, and it worked with the SSG.

Cisco support has been very slow and seemingly unknowledgeable. Originally the tech told me I couldn't do this at all on an outside IP that isn't on WAN1, until I sent him the Cisco doc showing exactly what I'm trying to do. Most recently he recommended this:
code:
nat(inside,inside) source static any interface destination static 10.2.2.79 WebServer
...but issuing that command results in "Warning: all traffic destined to the IP address of the inside interface is being redirected. Users may not be able to access any service enabled on the inside interface" and besides, it didn't work. I guess the warning isn't a big deal since I don't have any services enabled on the internal IP, besides management? He said the warning is normal but didn't explain why.

Any idea how to accomplish this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a decent "NX-OS for IOS admins" reference guide somewhere? Not in terms of basics, I'm figuring this stuff out bit by bit just slamming "?" and honestly a lot of it is similar enough, but I'd love something to read.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 30, 2014

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Erwin posted:

Heading off to work, so I didn't scrutinize the Cisco-provided NAT statement. What you are describing can be accomplished by hairpin NAT and an inside<>inside NAT statement (assuming the server and hosts both reside on the inside interface). By default, the firewall blocks traffic returned through to the interface it received traffic on, so you need to enable "same-security-traffic permit intra-interface" in addition to the NAT statement.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Martytoof posted:

Is there a decent "NX-OS for IOS admins" reference guide somewhere? Not in terms of basics, I'm figuring this stuff out bit by bit just slamming "?" and honestly a lot of it is similar enough, but I'd love something to read.

http://petespacket.com/2012/11/15/cisco-nx-osios-configuration-fundamentals-comparison/

Erwin posted:

So we recently replaced an old Juniper SSG with an ASA 5515-X. I've got everything working like it used to except one item. I have two internal web servers that need to be externally and internally accessible on external IPs. Since that's two of the same task, I'll just talk about one.

config:
code:
object network WebServer
 host 10.3.3.10

So this works to make the server accessible on the outside. The problem is, I'd like to allow inside clients to also access the server on its outside IP. I know this is inefficient, but it's only used by a handful of employees, and it saves me from loving around with an internal DNS zone matching our public site, and it worked with the SSG.

Cisco support has been very slow and seemingly unknowledgeable. Originally the tech told me I couldn't do this at all on an outside IP that isn't on WAN1, until I sent him the Cisco doc showing exactly what I'm trying to do. Most recently he recommended this:
code:
nat(inside,inside) source static any interface destination static 10.2.2.79 WebServer
...but issuing that command results in "Warning: all traffic destined to the IP address of the inside interface is being redirected. Users may not be able to access any service enabled on the inside interface" and besides, it didn't work. I guess the warning isn't a big deal since I don't have any services enabled on the internal IP, besides management? He said the warning is normal but didn't explain why.

Try changing your nat statement to this: nat (inside,WAN2) static 10.2.2.79 dns

I haven't tested it but I believe that is the same as the old DNS alias command

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 30, 2014

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Erwin posted:

config:
code:
object network WebServer
 host 10.3.3.10

code:

You need two commands for hairpin/u-turn NAT:

First, to allow the traffic to leave on the same interface it arrived on (required regardless of NAT):
same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

Another to NAT:
static (inside,inside) 10.2.2.79 10.3.3.10 netmask 255.255.255.255
nat (inside,inside) source dynamic any interface destination static 10.2.2.79 10.3.3.10

madsushi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 30, 2014

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yup, his suggestions didn't work because intra-interface != inter-interface (my fault when I typed it). It's working now. Thanks for the suggestions.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Can someone give me a detailed honest assessment of the Nexus line? We have 5010's, 7010's, 5596's and 2148's and what have you and I am simply not impressed with the Nexus.

What am I missing about the Nexus that I should reconsider?

Edit: also we've been considering moving off of 12.2 SP train to 15.1 on 6500's

Anyone else move to 15.1? How is it?

z0rlandi viSSer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 31, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

dont change my name posted:

I am simply not impressed with the Nexus.
What are you planning to go with instead? I can't believe I am going to say this about something Cisco, but honestly the price is pretty good if all you need is a layer two device. I think we paid around $12k each for our 5548UP switches (could look up the invoice if you really want to know) with just the base licensing which is all we need for our servers and storage. We haven't done anything with the 2000 series expanders but I am considering picking up a few of them, and two more 5548UP switches for my other datacenter.

It's a good switch, I like vPC and it has a price that is reasonably low.

fake edit: I checked amazon and you can get 32 ports for under $10k. http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Nexus-5548P-UP-Chassis/dp/B004YWLDVU

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

I guess I just really hate the feature licensing nickle and diming that Cisco does on the nexus.

The coolest thing the nexus line has (along with ASR1000) is OTV. I just am not feeling NX-OS. Maybe we have a poo poo install with Cisco engineers who don't know how to do things right. I dunno.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I guess I just really hate the feature licensing nickle and diming that Cisco does on the nexus.
All part of John Chambers' "Cisco is a software company" push. But aren't there at most maybe 6 or 7 different feature packs for each platform? That's about what there was in the old IOS 12.4 model.

The coolest thing the nexus line has (along with ASR1000) is OTV. I just am not feeling NX-OS. Maybe we have a poo poo install with Cisco engineers who don't know how to do things right. I dunno.

My vote for coolest feature is FabricPath/TRILL. I want MRPVSTP++ in the data center to die a slow and agonizing death.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Edit: also we've been considering moving off of 12.2 SP train to 15.1 on 6500's

Anyone else move to 15.1? How is it?
I went from to 12.2SXI to 15.1(2)SY1 just last night on a few 720-3bxl's. Obviously it's been only about a day but there were zero issues during the upgrade. c-nsp reports that there were some really bad blackhole bugs in 15.1(1)SY1 that were fixed in (2). Most people in that thread chime in about things being OK. Out of the feature I see in this, BFD on SVI is what I'm most interested in

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know what the skinny is on VIRL? Is this going to be an open product that joe shmoe off the street can give Cisco money for, or is it going to require strict licensing or what?

Because from the little I know about it, it's got me salivating. A lot. Getting to play with IOS-XR is so exciting to me for some reason :)

Existenzangst
Jul 19, 2013

pew pew

Cenodoxus posted:

My vote for coolest feature is FabricPath/TRILL.

Is that what Cisco will call its own version of TRILL?

The first time I heard Cisco's name for port aggregation I thought it was meant as a joke.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Existenzangst posted:

The first time I heard Cisco's name for port aggregation I thought it was meant as a joke.

Are you talking about PortChannel?

Also, here's a dumb question - if I get a terminal server that has all RJ45 ports on the back, can I connect to my Cisco console ports via standard Ethernet? Or do I need a rolled cable? I feel dumb for asking, I should know this. I've just never been in the situation before.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

QPZIL posted:

Also, here's a dumb question - if I get a terminal server that has all RJ45 ports on the back, can I connect to my Cisco console ports via standard Ethernet? Or do I need a rolled cable? I feel dumb for asking, I should know this. I've just never been in the situation before.

Depends how it's pinned out- if it's pinned out as Cisco you'll need rollovers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ragzilla posted:

Depends how it's pinned out- if it's pinned out as Cisco you'll need rollovers.

Ah, I did some Googling and figured it out. I have a Cyclades TS3000 48-port (!!!) Terminal Server on the way to me, and looks like I'll just be crimpin' up some cables when it gets here.

Easy enough from the looks of it:

code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
| | | | | | | |
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

QPZIL posted:

For any of you who have worked in IOS-XR, it is now called a Bundle-Ethernet, oh, and you can't use shorthand when trying to go to the interface in config mode

code:
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:accsw1#show int des
Tue Feb  4 14:10:34.935 EST

Interface          Status      Protocol    Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BE2                up          up          

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:accsw1#show int be2
                                           ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
:argh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, that's pretty... bad.

It'd be nice to at least be able to type "int bund2" or something, I can't imagine "bund" would be that ambiguous.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish!

code:
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:accsw1#show int bundle2
% Ambiguous command:  "show int bundle2"

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:accsw1#show int bundle?
Bundle-Ether  Bundle-POS  WORD  

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Bundle-POS sure sums it up alright.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Is there a golden standard for patch panels and racks that you guys shoot for? We're gonna be grabbing a couple racks and need to get a bunch of patch panels eventually.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

sudo rm -rf posted:

Is there a golden standard for patch panels and racks that you guys shoot for? We're gonna be grabbing a couple racks and need to get a bunch of patch panels eventually.

Are you looking for a brand or a way of putting the rack together?

E:
Whatever fits your budget. Our data centre and secondary cores use APC racks, Tyco for copper and fibre.
Our distribution closets are mixed Tyco or Belden, depending upon the nature of the project at the time.
Offices with a lot of drops (24 to 48) have their own Hubbell cabinets with a fibre feed.

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 4, 2014

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We used chatsworth for relay, and now are into some sort of wrightline cabinets.

The vendors seem to have new datacenter gimmicks every week regarding angled patch panels, sliding patch panels, wire management, etc. We usually run Panduit for everything, but Siemen is out there too, whatever suits the installation.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

QPZIL posted:

Ah, I did some Googling and figured it out. I have a Cyclades TS3000 48-port (!!!) Terminal Server on the way to me, and looks like I'll just be crimpin' up some cables when it gets here.

Easy enough from the looks of it:

code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
| | | | | | | |
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

For super simple/fast crimping, get a spoil of Ribbon Cable. It's flat and you don't even have to strip anything, just crimp right through the jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Ashley Madison posted:

Are you looking for a brand or a way of putting the rack together?

E:
Whatever fits your budget. Our data centre and secondary cores use APC racks, Tyco for copper and fibre.
Our distribution closets are mixed Tyco or Belden, depending upon the nature of the project at the time.
Offices with a lot of drops (24 to 48) have their own Hubbell cabinets with a fibre feed.

I guess brands. We just got in two 5548s we're going to use as a collapsed core with 2k fabric extenders in an EoR position. Right now we don't have any patch panels and literally run our copper from switch to server for each instance. As you can imagine it's a bit of a mess and I'm trying to do everything that I can to make the lab/data center as standardized and efficient as possible.