Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
SNOW still seems like it might be a decent game when it's done in two years yep Early Access as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

Also I was under the impression they edit it some to make it sound better but I may be talking out my rear end

They do. In contrast, Jeff "Hardcore Champion" Gerstmann only accepts the rawest of podcasts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

Steam is opening a music store apparently. Timely.

I would be cool with a music store that sold game soundtracks for relatively cheap. Like, 2-5 dollars cheap depending on the price of the game, or just bandcamp for games. In fact, yeah, bandcamp for game soundtracks would rule.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle

Captain Invictus posted:

I would be cool with a music store that sold game soundtracks for relatively cheap. Like, 2-5 dollars cheap depending on the price of the game, or just bandcamp for games. In fact, yeah, bandcamp for game soundtracks would rule.

gently caress yeah that idea rules.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

This is completely true, though it should be noted you're unlikely to find another podcasting trio that has been working together for as long as they have. You can tell they know exactly what to expect out of one another with regard to timing.

The Hulk Hoagan/Andre the Giant slashfiction bit they have on their sampler was putting on a clinic when it comes to comic timing and improvisation.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nobody tell Vinnie about the Animals in space wikipedia article, it is nothing but sadness.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Nobody tell Vinnie about the Animals in space wikipedia article, it is nothing but sadness.

Even just the Laika one is heartbreaking.

Wikipedia posted:

Before the launch, one of the scientists took Laika home to play with his children. In a book chronicling the story of Soviet space medicine, Dr. Vladimir Yazdovsky wrote, "I wanted to do something nice for her: She had so little time left to live."
One of the technicians preparing the capsule before final liftoff states that "after placing Laika in the container and before closing the hatch, we kissed her nose and wished her bon voyage, knowing that she would not survive the flight."

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Captain Invictus posted:

Steam already has quite a few games offering their soundtracks on the side. I could see this proliferating into its own storefront, or an achievement like "You beat the game! Now buy the soundtrack for 25% off!"

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't there already a bandcamp for game soundtracks? It's called bandcamp. If I open the bandcamp mobile app, my purchase history is like 80% game soundtracks, and I think most of them were "pay what you want" or 5 bucks. I'm not saying Steam can't do it just as well, and more competition is always welcome in my mind, but it's not like bandcamp is terrible at it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Patrick just posted a writeup about the latest EVE kerfuffle that includes a bunch of interviews and stuff.

Nice to see that game continues to be batshit crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Chromatic aberration rearing it's ugly nose in a skiing simulator of all things. Give it 2 more years before developers get wise and drop that nonsense?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EVE is the most insane thing and every time I read this kind of thing I get an urge to try it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
With Wargame going on sale again, did Brad ever get into it? When he used to do Starcraft stuff back in the day, it always seemed like he'd have done better playing RUSE or World in Conflict. Would be interesting to see how he'd play something that largescale.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Wargame is a hella cool game for smart and attractive peeps.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Manatee Cannon posted:

EVE is the most insane thing and every time I read this kind of thing I get an urge to try it.

Oh God don't do it.

Just read about the crazy poo poo that goes down every 6 months or so.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Manatee Cannon posted:

I read the comp hardware forum a lot and every few months a new guy comes in looking to build a setup that will support ~16 eve clients at a time. Don't join those people.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Eastbound Spider posted:

Wargame is a hella cool game for smart and attractive peeps.

Then why do you have it :haw:

But seriously, as someone who has never really been good at these games, how accessible is it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rookersh posted:

With Wargame going on sale again, did Brad ever get into it? When he used to do Starcraft stuff back in the day, it always seemed like he'd have done better playing RUSE or World in Conflict. Would be interesting to see how he'd play something that largescale.

Brad can't ever get into anything ever again unless the DOTApocalypse happens.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

Then why do you have it :haw:

But seriously, as someone who has never really been good at these games, how accessible is it?

Pretty accessible. The battles are largescale, and APM doesn't matter at all. If you can figure out that guy with rocket > tank, and tank needs fuel to run ( ie managing supply trucks/helicopters and remembering where they are ), you'll do pretty fine. It helps that the battles most people play are 10v10 over a gigantic map, so your personal fuckups can be mitigated pretty quickly. Even if you get wiped out, you can still help out by keeping your antiair guys hiding in a forest somewhere so they can cover your allies flanks.

The biggest hurdle is setting up a deck to play with, but you can find youtube videos for that. I literally just started earlier, and the goons in the mumble are fairly helpful, won't yell at you, and you'll usually feel like you did something even if your overall contribution is relatively minor. It's extremely fun watching an entire map just start exploding as people rush, counter, ambush, and fight each other in gigantic battles.

Campaign is alright. EE has a better campaign that has a bit slower pace. Airland Battles campaign is one of those "you'll either love it or loathe it" things, being a fight over Scandinavia Battle for Middle Earth worldmap style. Except this time to enemy AI will be taking your territories at the same time you are taking it's. Also no real story outside of the initial briefing.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 4, 2014

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

SerCypher did a Let's Play of the single player,
thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573864

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?
The best part of all the big EVE poo poo that goes down is that it's always because someone didn't pay the space bills.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Did they just push out the new player or is my internet just wonky?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

JuHoZ posted:

Did they just push out the new player or is my internet just wonky?

https://twitter.com/dannichi/status/430795167151697921

quote:

Danny Chi ‏@dannichi 5m
massive code update coming to @giantbomb in 5 minutes. Hold tight!

:w00t:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

fuxxo posted:

The best part of all the big EVE poo poo that goes down is that it's always because someone didn't pay the space bills.

Just like real life.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Man the Informer joke in the Snow quick look really made me feel old. :negative:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Man the Informer joke in the Snow quick look really made me feel old. :negative:

I can't watch or read anything by Game Informer without that song popping into my head.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
For some reason the site's twitter reader just pushed a bunch of Ryan's old posts to the front page. Made me go :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
New player lets you set the quality you want even if you're using 'Streaming' :woop:

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Yeah and the fill browser below the full screen one is pretty nice for dual monitor stuff.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The 'embiggen' button doesn't seem to be working for me though. Just me?

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

Noxville posted:

The 'embiggen' button doesn't seem to be working for me though. Just me?

Nah, it's not working for me either.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Works for me in chrome. I was just cursing the old video player earlier today so this is a nice surprise, changing what quality you want for streaming is an addition I have wanted for a while.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, this EVE stuff is always crazy interesting to read about from an outsider perspective, I really like how Pat is paying attention to this one specific, kind of crazy, aspect of gaming. Looking forward to the following podcasts from it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Time seeking with the new video player is much faster (or, well, works at all).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That was an awesome eve article. Also good poo poo on winning the war, goons.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The new player is infinitely better than the old one. You can actually get within seconds of parts of the video now instead of minutes. Embiggen is broke, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New thing on the upcoming list: "Breaking Brad: Demon's Soulsathon"

Is it finally going to happen? Is Brad going to finally play 24 hours straight of a Souls game that he promised during the charity drive?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Haha, Drew just couldn't resist making that Back to the Future joke in the Sun at Night QL. I would complain but those movies rule.

Welcome to the Cafe Bomba, where it's always morning on the Internet, even in the after-noo-noo-noon. Heh heh heh heh!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

New thing on the upcoming list: "Breaking Brad: Demon's Soulsathon"

Is it finally going to happen? Is Brad going to finally play 24 hours straight of a Souls game that he promised during the charity drive?

It looks like it's starting a couple hours early. 4pm instead of 6:30pm EST. Don't worry, the first 30 minutes will be Brad running in circles. The 3-1 can be kind of confusing if you haven't played it a while. I know it by heart because I always used to farm Old Spice there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Clearing my cookies and logging back in fixed the Embiggen button not working, so try that if you're having the same problem.

• Locked thread