Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

Yes but companies can count on young people not knowing their rights or being too poor or desperate to pose a credible threat of legal action.

Schools are often complicit in this by requiring an internship (which the student must find himself) to graduate. Scummier schools charge the student 3 semester hours of tuition to count the internship or even require that the internship be unpaid at the behest of business. Fashion degree programs in particular are notorious for these abuses.

For my school (as an engineer) we don't have a required internship but we have a 'capstone' project where a company will send us a problem and we spend the entire semester making the solution.

So basically the company gets small teams of essentially fresh out of school engineers working on their stuff for the price of maybe one or two salaries worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

bobservo posted:

Yeah, I would say this is the real issue. Historical factors have made it so a lot of white people can go through their day without interacting with anyone non-white in a meaningful way. The blowback from the Coke commercial is coming from people being confronted with the idea that people unlike them exist in the United States and also consider themselves American.

(I'm from Northeast Ohio and didn't meet an Asian, Indian, or Arab person until college.)

Kent is kind of weird in that regard.

You kind of drive like two minutes out to Brimfield, and you see a lot NRA-types.

Then you drive back into town and see people protesting for a Palestinian State.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Spacedad posted:

Some details about the guy who made that petition: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mark_Dice

Meaning he should have his own talk radio show or permanent guest spot on FOX News any day now.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
This is probably the strangest reply to one of the cokegate vids I've seen yet... :psyduck:

quote:

Magic Trixx2 hours ago

These conservatives should always remember who founded the United States of America. It was immigrants! This nation is a cauldron of various cultures. Just as the My Little Pony horror story Rainbow Factory literally uses the blood of Pegasus foals to make rainbows. America uses the blood of immigrants to create this fine country. Though not literally I might add. Now it's like all immigrants are not welcome in this nation, legal or otherwise. Republicans, you have forgotten what made America in the first place. You want our borders closed from a immigrant to start a new life as a legal citizen of this country. Oh my god! America the Beautiful being sung in different languages other than English? The nerve of Coca-Cola!

From here.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Though not literally I might add

[citation needed]

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

[citation needed]

Here you go:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just think it's hilarious how the right had a perfect opportunity to say "See we're not as crazy and reactive as you libs say we are. :smug:" all lined up when they didn't react to the Cheerios commercial, and then they completely squandered it by losing their minds over a different commercial.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

This is just ducks. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vn30fcw2gY

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/01/31/gop-obamacare-sabotage-works/

quote:

aul Krugman has a great item up on “Bette in Spokane,” the woman who was featured in the nationally watched GOP response to the State of the Union speech as a symbol of victimization at the hands of Big Bad Obamacare. As GOP Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers put it in the response, Bette “hoped the President’s health care law would save her money – but found out instead that her premiums were going up nearly $700 a month.”
That does sound awful. But then a local reporter got in touch with Bette Grenier, and found out the story is far more complex than it first appeared. As Krugman puts it:
Her previous plan was catastrophic coverage only, with a $10,000 deductible — and the “$700 a month more” was the most expensive option offered by her insurer. She didn’t go to the healthcare.gov website, where she could have found cheaper plans. So this wasn’t sticker shock, at least as described. This was someone finding out that the ACA requires that you have a minimum level of insurance, and that minimalist plans are no longer allowed — and it was also Ms. Rodgers misrepresenting what had happened.

But this may be a lot worse than Krugman says. Indeed, it may be a case of Republican sabotage of the law actually working.
A Democratic source makes a very good point, arguing that this may actually be better seen as a ”Republican sabotage success story.” He points to these details from the report by David Wasson in the Spokesman-Review:
Melanie Colette, McMorris Rodgers’ spokeswoman, would only say Bette is “one of hundreds of people in Eastern Washington that have contacted the congresswoman with their concerns about the president’s health care law.”
Grenier, contacted Wednesday evening at her home, said she didn’t know McMorris Rodgers had mentioned her insurance travails during the GOP rebuttal.
“That probably was me she was referring to,” Grenier said. “A guy from her office called me last week but I never called him back.”
She said she contacted the congresswoman late last year to complain after getting a letter from Asuris Northwest advising that her $552-a-month policy no longer would be offered. She sent the congresswoman’s office a copy of the letter, which included the rate quotes for the suggested replacement policies.
So what really happened here is that this woman contacted Rep. McMorris Rodgers to complain about the health law — and there’s no indication her Congresswoman’s aides pointed her to the exchange or indicated she could have gotten a better deal from it. Perhaps they did; this makes for a good follow-up question. But it’s certainly possible they didn’t. After all, some Republicans have openly said they won’t be helping constituents with the law. Obamacare foes like to say that’s fair game for Republican lawmakers, but even if that were true, the point is that this tactic may be harming their own constituents.
Bette from Spokane, to be sure, might not have used the exchange even if her Congresswoman’s office had pointed her to it. As Bette put it in the local report, “I wouldn’t go on that Obama website.” There’s no denying this woman was adversely impacted. But it’s at least possible if she’d been told there were better deals there, she’d have taken advantage of them — and if so, the outcome would have been better for her than what did happen, which is that she’s gone without coverage.
What we do know is that McMorris Rodgers’ office did contact this woman just before the Congresswoman’s big speech citing her. Did her office contact Bette to help her get a better deal, or only to let her know her story would be used against the law in a national setting? Also good fodder for a follow-up question.
One other point: While McMorris Rodgers’ office claims “hundreds” from the region got in touch with concerns about the law, Timothy Egan reports that in her district, signups for coverage on the exchange are well above the national average. This, even though McMorris Rodgers “has been screening town hall meetings to highlight only critics of the new law.”
The case of Bette fits into this very neatly. Even though the exchange could have gotten her a better deal, it was a better political outcome for Republicans that she didn’t avail herself of that option. And precisely because she didn’t, she was turned into a poster woman for Obamacare victimization.

A couple details to note: After Obamacare, her own insurance company was offering plans as low as $56, and her new plan was the super high-end plan - so forget Obamacare - she was too lazy to even check up ON HER OWN PREFERRED INSURANCE COMPANY. Her old $552 plan also had a $10,000 deductable :eyepop: which is effectively about as bad as not actually having insurance.

*punches self in balls* THANKS, OBAMA.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 5, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

So...in order to have actual health insurance, she ends up paying ~350 more a month most likely. Yet she's somehow mad about that when she was already throwing away 550 dollars a month for literally nothing under her old plan.

edit: where do you see that ultra low cost plan you mentioned? didnt see it in the spokesman review article

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 5, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

joeburz posted:

So...in order to have actual health insurance, she ends up paying ~350 more a month most likely. Yet she's somehow mad about that when she was already throwing away 550 dollars a month for literally nothing under her old plan.

edit: where do you see that ultra low cost plan you mentioned? didnt see it in the spokesman review article

Under AHCA, she qualifies for a low cost plan through Asuris Northwest - with the government footing most of the bill. But I guess she didn't want to do her homework let alone use the AHCA site, and wound buying a lot more health insurance than she may actually need.

So basically, she's a little old lady who's been made a victim on a certain level by the dumbass fear-mongering extremist rhetoric of the right wing - she could be rocking an insurance bill that's super low and gets her the coverage she needs. Instead she's taken a plan that's more of a financial burden on her and is now blaming Obama for it somehow. I'm kind of torn between seeing her as a dumbass herself or as a victim of predatory people like the cardboard cutout political personality who cited her disingenuously in a speech.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 5, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spacedad posted:

Under AHCA, she qualifies for a low cost plan through Asuris Northwest - with the government footing most of the bill. But I guess she didn't want to do her homework let alone use the AHCA site, and wound buying a lot more health insurance than she may actually need.

So basically, she's a little old lady who's been made a victim on a certain level by the dumbass fear-mongering extremist rhetoric of the right wing - she could be rocking an insurance bill that's super low and gets her the coverage she needs. Instead she's taken a plan that's more of a financial burden on her and is now blaming Obama for it somehow. I'm kind of torn between seeing her as a dumbass herself or as a victim of predatory people like the cardboard cutout political personality who cited her disingenuously in a speech.

My understanding is actually that she's not a little old lady but that her and her husband run their own roofing business or something like that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

My understanding is actually that she's not a little old lady but that her and her husband run their own roofing business or something like that.

Like usual obfuscation and carefully articulated half-truths touted as facts to make the black guy in office look like the most evil commie hitler jew that ever existed. At this point whenever I hear a republican soundbyte on the radio, I want to punch someone in the face. IT's always atack the president for something and not offer anything to the actual problem.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Like usual obfuscation and carefully articulated half-truths touted as facts to make the black guy in office look like the most evil commie hitler jew that ever existed. At this point whenever I hear a republican soundbyte on the radio, I want to punch someone in the face. IT's always atack the president for something and not offer anything to the actual problem.

That's the entire GOP platform. Obama can't miracle everything into a perfect paradise so he's obviously inferior. Just ignore the fact that the GOP is sabotaging literally everything he does, that's irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that a Democrat is in office and he's darker than your average Republican. He isn't kowtowing to the will of important (meaning rich) people and proper, patriotic (meaning wealthy, racist white people) citizens so he's obviously new Hitler.

I mean, the guy wants to track guns better so he can more easily find out where the gun came from if somebody crimes with one and then give the victim free health care if they get seriously hurt. That's like peak fascism, man.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Oh wow, I don't know how to feel about this. Sure I'd like to see Zimmerman get his lumps but it's terribly lame that he is famous and making money on this because he killed Trayvon.

:siren:DMX to Fight George Zimmerman in Boxing Match:siren:
http://pitchfork.com/news/53846-dmx-to-fight-george-zimmerman-in-celebrity-boxing-match/

quote:

Yes, this is real. George Zimmerman, the man acquitted of killing Trayvon Martin, has signed a contract with celebrity boxing match promotor Damon Feldman. And Feldman has delivered on his reputation for head-spinning matchups (see: Tonya Harding vs. a waitress) by selecting DMX as Zimmerman's opponent, TMZ reports. To break it down further: George Zimmerman will fight DMX.

As you can imagine, the list of people willing to fight Zimmerman was long. Among the 15,000 candidates was the rapper Game, who told TMZ: "I would not be boxing for me... I'd be boxing for the legacy of Trayvon Martin and his family." DMX also told TMZ that he wants to fight on behalf of "every black person who has been done wrong in the system...I am going to beat the living gently caress out of him. I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I gently caress him up right." He also threatened to piss on Zimmerman's face.

Details of the fight, which takes place on March 1, will be announced during a news conference next Wednesday.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Man, Zimmerman seems like he's pulling the full OJ Simpson. I'm sure he's gonna get popped in Vegas on some charge related to Trayvon memorabilia, and go to prison for a long time. In prison the story will morph into American History X, and he'll eventually be paroled so he can murder the ghost of Stacey Keach.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there any reason to think DMX will be an especially skilled boxer? Imagine if Zimmerman wins.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any reason to think DMX will be an especially skilled boxer? Imagine if Zimmerman wins.

Well, according to Zimmerman's MMA instructor, he's a weakling who can't fight at all. At least that's what he said in court.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As much the scene of Zimmerman getting pounded in the face while "X GON GIVE IT TO YA" blares in the background appeals to me, I feel like this just cheapens the whole tragedy and just in general gently caress giving Zimmerman more time in the limelight.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

As much the scene of Zimmerman getting pounded in the face while "X GON GIVE IT TO YA" blares in the background appeals to me, I feel like this just cheapens the whole tragedy and just in general gently caress giving Zimmerman more time in the limelight.

Yeah, as much as I'd want to see DMX beat the crap out of Zimmerman, the whole thing will probably be really cheesy and lame with a whole lot of safety equipment and helmets and possible some pre-matches with Screech and Tanya Harding. It's not going to be a bare knuckle, alley fight to the death that we all really want to see.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yep although if Zimmerman wins I'm really going to push that in the face of relatives that bought the he's such a lovely martial artist he is like a baby line.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, as much as I'd want to see DMX beat the crap out of Zimmerman, the whole thing will probably be really cheesy and lame with a whole lot of safety equipment and helmets and possible some pre-matches with Screech and Tanya Harding. It's not going to be a bare knuckle, alley fight to the death that we all really want to see.

I'd watch the Screech fight only with the proviso that Dustin Diamond die.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, as much as I'd want to see DMX beat the crap out of Zimmerman, the whole thing will probably be really cheesy and lame.

So, something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3M_wGfYewo?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DMX should get into the ring with Zimmerman, then proceed to yell out 'I FEEL THREATENED!', pull out a gun and shoot him

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FlamingLiberal posted:

DMX should get into the ring with Zimmerman, then proceed to yell out 'I FEEL THREATENED!', pull out a gun and shoot him

That would only work if the fight was in florida. And if DMX was white.

(and the joke's been done when it was rumored to be Kanye)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Wait a second...piss on his face? Are we sure they didn't get R. Kelly and just hosed up the press release?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wait a second...piss on his face? Are we sure they didn't get R. Kelly and just hosed up the press release?

It is in fact possible for two black people to say similar things and not be literally the same person, yes.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Notorious QIG posted:

It is in fact possible for two black people to say similar things and not be literally the same person, yes.

Yeah cause it's totally not a joke about known Golden Shower enthusiast Robert Kelly.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watch Joe Arpaio consider this a violation of DMX's parole.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm pretty sure he's alluding to the fact that R. Kelly does actually fancy peeing on people. He made some news when he peed on an underage girl a while back.

ebf;

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Oh wow, I don't know how to feel about this. Sure I'd like to see Zimmerman get his lumps but it's terribly lame that he is famous and making money on this because he killed Trayvon.

http://pitchfork.com/news/53846-dmx-to-fight-george-zimmerman-in-celebrity-boxing-match/

This is profoundly dumb for obvious reasons, but aside from that this won't even be an entertaining fight. Zimmerman testified under oath that he is a weak marshmallow incapable of defending himself without a firearm, and DMX is a middle-aged 140 lb asthmatic. The only people interested in this fight will be assholes vicariously acting out their race-based revenge fantasies.

:cripes: oh god it's going to be a loving media sensation isn't it?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Lord, Limbaugh has been out for the last couple days with the flu or something so Mark Steyn has been filling in. He has just been non-stop bitching about Obamacare. While definitely a frequent topic on the show at least Limbaugh varies the focus of ire to keep things fresh. With Steyn though it is basically all Obamacare all the time. A recent tirade of his had him basically :tinfoil:ing about how Obama is going to call in drone strikes on people not signing up for Obamacare. He did take a brief moment to whine about how he is being sued for being a climate denier though :laugh:

Steyn also claimed to be more intelligent than Obama because he was multilingual right on the heels of the rage-o-sphere losing their poo poo over the multilingual Coca-Cola ad during the Super Bowl.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I think the only reason Rush uses Steyn is to make himself look good. Steyn is terrible at radio and I hate him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I know I'm turning 30 this year but I'm just not ready for a world that doesn't instantly flash on a R. Kelly peeing on people gag :(

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

kik2dagroin posted:

Lord, Limbaugh has been out for the last couple days with the flu or something so Mark Steyn has been filling in. He has just been non-stop bitching about Obamacare. While definitely a frequent topic on the show at least Limbaugh varies the focus of ire to keep things fresh. With Steyn though it is basically all Obamacare all the time. A recent tirade of his had him basically :tinfoil:ing about how Obama is going to call in drone strikes on people not signing up for Obamacare. He did take a brief moment to whine about how he is being sued for being a climate denier though :laugh:

Steyn also claimed to be more intelligent than Obama because he was multilingual right on the heels of the rage-o-sphere losing their poo poo over the multilingual Coca-Cola ad during the Super Bowl.

How many languages can Mark "more smarter" Steyn falsely accuse climate scientists of fraud and child molestation in? :allears:

Iron Crowned posted:

That's my fault, actually. I presumed because she apparently doesn't know how to work the internet, she must be a little old lady.

Apparently not, so she literally has no excuse.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 5, 2014

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'll give Dmx $500 if he does nothing but punch Zimmerman in the nuts.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Rorus Raz posted:

I agree with you but the mental image is just marvelous :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadspin is pointing out on their site that the promoter in this Zimmerman fight has a long history of fixing matches. He did the match where Rodney King fought one of the cops who beat him to a pulp on the freeway.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's my understanding that Zimmerman has been travelling from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart eating ice cream and has probably reached new heights of obesity. If DMX spends the next few weeks training his left hand and footwork we could be in for the most entertaining/sad spectacle in the history of boxing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Weird question but have any of the usual suspects gotten pissy over CVS's decision today to stop selling cigarettes and tobacco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

comes along bort posted:

Weird question but have any of the usual suspects gotten pissy over CVS's decision today to stop selling cigarettes and tobacco?

FNC is frequently on at my car dealership :negative: and the Five was "Just asking questions" about whether the Obama Administration played a role in CVS decision