Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

20 points to master craft a ranged weapon is really high, especially when Salamanders get to master craft a single piece of wargear on every character for free. For reference, it cost 15 points to make any weapon master crafted in the 4th edition Space Marine codex, which is a time when Rhinos cost 50 points.

For additional reference, the Imperial Fist supplement has a master-crafted bolt pistol that ignores cover for 5pts.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

At another point, a Ministorum orphanage will come under attack. If the Imperium succeeds in keeping the xenos away for the duration of the the game, they will receive the Blessing of the Ecclesiarch. Any Imperium character with an invulnerable save receives an additional 1+. I don't know what the xenos counterpart will be.

+1 to an invuln save is pretty nuts. That can easily turn into a 3+ invuln, or a 2+ with a storm shield. Perhaps a reroll on invuln saves for the duration of the next battle, and if they do not have an invuln, they get a 5+ (with no reroll) to represent the blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

The Heckler posted:

Looks great! Very similar to the pre heresy Emperors children. You've got a few mold lines along the side of the power armour though.

Come to think of it, the noise marines are pretty much armed with dubstep guns.

Yeah, I just finished reading Fulgrim last week. If/when I get a Chaos army I'm going full tilt Emperors Children.

It also plays well to the gimmick. And if my opponent is down, I get to pretty much go over the top on anything I can imagine doing and be "in character" and "cinematic".

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

koreban posted:

Yeah, I just finished reading Fulgrim last week. If/when I get a Chaos army I'm going full tilt Emperors Children.

It also plays well to the gimmick. And if my opponent is down, I get to pretty much go over the top on anything I can imagine doing and be "in character" and "cinematic".

I was long tempted to go for a Noise Marines / Emperor's Children army, paint them in ghostly neon blues and fluff them as focusing on the 'ultimate sonic sensations' or something. Would be nice to see some Slaaneshi models that weren't either stock or converted to dick/titbeasts.

'Course I ended up going Iron Warriors afterall but eh, they're cool and metallics are easy to paint.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So in a couple of weeks (President's Day Weekend), I'll be back down in MD for a game of Apocalypse. The game will be around 7-8k points with Shadow Daishi and I taking on ANAmal.net, Night Lords and Iron Warriors vs. Dark Angels. We're loosely planning to do a year-long narrative campaign type deal, with each game having some kind of impact on the next one.

For this first game, the concept is that Chaos is making a push on Solar Mariatus in the Cadian system, a mining planet primarily used for imperial war resources. The Despoiler has sent ahead an advance force to secure a key planetary landing station to use in launching his campaign against the planet. The station is currently manned by a reserve company of Dark Angels. They picked up the approaching chaos force on their scanners, but were only able to send off a single distress call before warp storms (the work of the Night Lords' Sorcerer) cut off their communication channels. Now they have to hold the station against the Chaos forces until help can arrive.

The mission we're going to be using is a homemade Apocalypse-modified version of the "The Last Stand" mission in Stronghold Assault, with the orbital landing station as the focal point. The station consists of two bunkers, a fortress of vengeance, an aegis defense line, a runway, and two skyshield landing pads.

Here's the mission doc, if you'd like to replicate this battle at home. It's called "To the Last Man":
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ba1xcz4hm6k10t3/To_The_Last_Man_Mission.pdf

The general concept is that the Chaos forces need to capture the landing station. Any other outcome is basically failure to the Despoiler, i.e. death. The defender starts with 40-50% of his force on the board defending the station. The first session lasts 3-4 turns (Saturday), then the reinforcements can arrive for the 2nd/3rd sessions (Sunday). We're still mulling over forces, but the general idea is that ANAmal's Dark Angel reinforcements will more or less be the entire Deathwing company, plus Belial, using the Apocalypse formation (minus the silly Deathwing Knights requirements). We may post some lists next week, if anyone is interested.

We haven't figured out consequences for the next game but I'm thinking that if Chaos loses they'll have to deep strike/hold in reserve a more significant portion of their forces.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Broniki posted:

Anyone with a purple and gold colour scheme is obligated to make their chapter emblem the Prince logo :colbert:

The Astartes Formerly Known as Prince

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If I was going for Dredd themed SM, what would I use? GK with Inquisition?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

koreban posted:

I decided to forgo the usual color schemes for space marines in favor of a custom chapter that would let me play around and find the chapter tactics I really enjoyed, plus there aren't enough purple chapters. I'm really tempted to run with a "3rd Founding Saints" gimmick chapter.

I got a little bored putting together a piranha and modeled it like a drive-by. It made me want to repaint my Tau as a "Third Sphere Sept" army.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Space Marine bikes are pretty much just rebranded Lawmaster bikes. The old ones from Rogue Trader moreso. Marines is fine.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Broniki posted:

Anyone with a purple and gold colour scheme is obligated to make their chapter emblem the Prince logo :colbert:

I only wanted to see you laughing in the STEEL REHN.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Noise Marine

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

drgnvale posted:

so after being somewhat disappointed by my recent finecast purchase, today I got my first forgeworld shipment. It was just some shoulderpads and rhino doors, but the quality seems much higher. I think I'm going to get that inquisitor Lok soon.

I hate Forgeworld and believe their quality sucks, but their smaller pieces are much better quality. $500 titan model? Quality Control says that can have giant bubbles, gaps, and cauliflower marks. One dude for a fraction of the price? Flawless (more often than not). I painted Inquisitor Lok on commission: he is a seriously cool model, fun to paint, and manufactured to a high standard.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

I hate Forgeworld and believe their quality sucks, but their smaller pieces are much better quality. $500 titan model? Quality Control says that can have giant bubbles, gaps, and cauliflower marks. One dude for a fraction of the price? Flawless (more often than not). I painted Inquisitor Lok on commission: he is a seriously cool model, fun to paint, and manufactured to a high standard.

The only issues I've ever had have been related to release agent, and even then a coat of matte varnish on the warhound was plenty. But that's good to know about the small stuff--I need to start ordering some LR doors.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

koreban posted:

This is my first attempt at edge highlighting. I think my colors are too dark/too close to work as well as I had wanted.
squad.

Looks pretty good man.

As others have said, trimming off mold lines goes a long way in makinging a model look "done".

I agree that the edge highlight turned out a little too dark. If you want to try and make it look a little better, you could add an additional brighter edge highlight on the inside of the existing ones so both are showing. It works as kind of a poor mans gradient, but pretty :effort:

For you're first attempt though, it looks great. Definitely table-top quality

Also, there's an Ultramine successor chapter, the Hawk Lords, that are purple. If you're trying to find one.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Nit pick time: I think in the 6e codex, it states that Hawk Lords are a Raven Guard successor.

EDIT - Lexicanum says that info might come from IA8:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hawk_Lords#.UvFML_ldXl8

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Sure thing. Green bits is Waaagh Flesh, gun and other assorted metal doodads Leadbelcher. The rest is paints from GWs old line; Mordian Blue for the outside of the coat, Enchanted Blue for the inside and the cuffs, and Snakebite Leather for the boots, backpack, gasmask, and assorted straps.
Cover everything in Devlan Mud, or Agrax Earthshade as they call it nowdays, and go back and highlight with the original colour. Mask lenses is just a flat red with gloss varnish on it.
The base is one of GWs texture paints > black wash > drybrush.

Thanks a ton. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the mask lenses, I feel like that would look better in a vomit green. I'll test it out if I don't meet the reserve on this auction.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

We talked about this a few pages back. SM, Grey Knights are too beefy looking. If you don't use the old 80's Judge Dredd colour scheme I will hunt you down and slit your throat, by the way.

:)

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 4, 2014

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So, I'm trying to think of unique results for campaign missions that could make the game more interesting going forward. I have a few results for a few scenarios.

At one point, the Imperium will (possibly) defend an ancient vault (which will be, for gameplay purposes, an Imperial Bunker that's basically an immobile vehicle with 5 HP) filled with relic weaponry. If the Imperium succeeds, any SM model with the type (Character) will be able to mastercraft any item from the Ranged Weapons list for 20 points. If the Xenos succeed, they'll be able to do the same, and will be able to take a minimum sized Troop squad from the codex free of points cost, which are non-scoring.

At another point, a Ministorum orphanage will come under attack. If the Imperium succeeds in keeping the xenos away for the duration of the the game, they will receive the Blessing of the Ecclesiarch. Any Imperium character with an invulnerable save receives an additional 1+. I don't know what the xenos counterpart will be.

Any feedback?

Instead of giving both sides a bonus for victory, how about giving giving a malus for losing? Something like if the Imperials win, all their units are stubborn in the next battle and if they lose they have -1ld. It helps keeps things varied and fluffy, I don't really see Imperial relics having much strategic value to the xenos, but losing them would be a blow to the Imperial morale.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

Nit pick time: I think in the 6e codex, it states that Hawk Lords are a Raven Guard successor.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hawk_Lords#.UvFML_ldXl8

I got my info from here-

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Hawk_Lords

Its a myyyyystery

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I'm no Space Marine lore expert, but I've always heard Ultramarines. Then again, Lexicanum is usually more correct.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I'm no Space Marine lore expert, but I've always heard Ultramarines. Then again, Lexicanum is usually more correct.
6th ed codex says Ultramarines. I just went to my bookshelf to check.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SRM posted:

6th ed codex says Ultramarines. I just went to my bookshelf to check.

But is the 6th edition codex a valid source? :psylon:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I've been painting my brother's Descent minis for him because I got the itch to paint, and he casually mentioned that he has the Dark Angels five-man sprue from the basic paint set.

I haven't played in something like over a decade. I am not a strong man.

I guess what I'm saying here is, how lovely are the actual Dark Angels nowadays?

EDIT: And/or: if I use a successor chapter, can I still use whatever the DA ruleset is?

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 4, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kinda lovely. They're still marines, but they're also still marines who trade a lot of great marine toys for expensive upgraded terminators and bikers. Where other chapters get neat chapter tactics, they get stubborn and fearless on Inner Circle units, which is meh. Their flyers compare really poorly to regular marine flyers as well.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

I've been painting my brother's Descent minis for him because I got the itch to paint, and he casually mentioned that he has the Dark Angels five-man sprue from the basic paint set.

I haven't played in something like over a decade. I am not a strong man.

I guess what I'm saying here is, how lovely are the actual Dark Angels nowadays?

I've never played them myself, but the main complaint I've heard recently is that all their stuff is overpriced out of game and in-game. The points costs on their flyers especially are allegedly pretty horrendous.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

IA: 8 says they're thought to be "related through later foundings" to the Raven Guard. Maybe they got Maury Pauviched like the Soul Drinkers and found out who their Gene-Daddy was.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

IA: 8 says they're thought to be "related through later foundings" to the Raven Guard. Maybe they got Maury Pauviched like the Soul Drinkers and found out who their Gene-Daddy was.

When descriptions of chapters/warbands/regiments are this ambiguous, we should probably just go with whatever GW originally wrote and take IA stuff as extra flavour.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think the 6th Edition codex is more recent than IA8 so it seems more likely that they're actually UM.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I think the 6th Edition codex is more recent than IA8 so it seems more likely that they're actually UM.

I read Commubot's post as IA12 for some reason. Yeah, since the 6E SM codex is more recent, let's go with that lore rather than some outdated FW book.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That's kinda what I thought about DA. If I make this impending army some sort of successor chapter, do I have to use the DA rules or can I go with vanilla marines?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

That's kinda what I thought about DA. If I make this impending army some sort of successor chapter, do I have to use the DA rules or can I go with vanilla marines?

All depends on your opponent, really. Some people are total spergs and say things like "well, if they're a successor chapter, use their ancestor's rules" and won't play you if you do otherwise, but these people are few and far between. It boils down to personal preference if it's a casual army, I'm not sure how that goes down as far as tournaments.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You're ideally 'supposed to' but no one but the hugest of autists is actually going to care.

You mean like making a DA successor chapter but using something like White Scars Chapter Tactics?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

I mean, at the end of the day they're still dudes in power armor with boltguns. Most people won't give you trouble unless you're using really obtuse counts-as with your modeling or painting. Even so, 5 starter set Marines is barely a start to an army - I wouldn't let those 5 dudes tie you down.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I feel like it's on GW to make every marine variant desirable on its own terms and if when they don't manage to do this, counting whatever as vanilla marines is perfectly valid. This is assuming that the original codex is actively deficient, which the consensus seems to be that DA are. If it's just so that the player in question can min-max a little thing, I'm going to roll my eyes a lot harder.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Well, to be honest, I was already looking at making a DA successor so these five dudes are sort of just a tip in the direction I was already thinking of going down. I know they're not going to define my army and that five dudes is a drop in the bucket. In the interest of avoiding sperginess, though, I may just do the color scheme I was thinking of and throw some blank shoulder pads on instead and run vanilla SM.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Dark Angels are actually really really cool, fluff and model wise, the rules are just decidedly sub-par.

I played a guy who kept insisting his Ultramarines were Crimson Fists when I was playing my store's Orks. It was pretty cheeky.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PantsOptional posted:

Well, to be honest, I was already looking at making a DA successor so these five dudes are sort of just a tip in the direction I was already thinking of going down. I know they're not going to define my army and that five dudes is a drop in the bucket. In the interest of avoiding sperginess, though, I may just do the color scheme I was thinking of and throw some blank shoulder pads on instead and run vanilla SM.

Why not consider having a sperg-triggering army to be a feature rather than a bug? A screening procedure if you will.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013
Honestly I am of the opinion that the current DA codex is usable as a competitive codex. It isn't as flexible as the space marine codex but it really shouldn't be as it details a single chapter where as the space marine codex is designed to represent a large number. If you want to run a list that uses lots of bikes supported by terminators or vice-versa the DA codex is the right codex to go. But if you want anything other than that from a codex I would have to recommend the space marine codex. Just as if someone wanted to play a list that uses lots of assault marines I would suggest the blood angels codex.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Nah, Codex: Space Marines do still do "lots of bikes supported by terminators" better than DA. DA are good for a few support pieces as an allied army to Imperial forces, particularly IG.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Dark Angels are actually really really cool, fluff and model wise, the rules are just decidedly sub-par.

I played a guy who kept insisting his Ultramarines were Crimson Fists when I was playing my store's Orks. It was pretty cheeky.

Well, they have pretty similar paint schemes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I have never understood people who are totally fine playing against any codex, unless your models are painted the wrong color and then they leave in a huff.

They would be fine if you said Space Wolves and put down UNPAINTED models, but RED models are a bridge too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
xposting look at my lovely mini

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Dredd marine WIP, still not close to done but I'm having fun.

edit: for some reason my mind when I was younger always filled in the 'blue' of his costume being an comic book artist's trick to make a dark looking black, but now I can't tell if he's actually supposed to be blue or black.

• Locked thread