Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Variety posted a pretty funny article. Hopefully this isn't a repost of something Marc mentioned recently on the show. I'm not quite caught up. Also looks like we'll hopefully get a Kevin McDonald ep soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

urk the quack posted:

Variety posted a pretty funny article. Hopefully this isn't a repost of something Marc mentioned recently on the show. I'm not quite caught up. Also looks like we'll hopefully get a Kevin McDonald ep soon.

Kevin Mcdonald would be good. I think he was on You Made it Weird some podcast that I can't remember and if I remember correctly there's a bunch of interesting topics that could come up. 'Course I'll be damned if I can think of any now. Mostly his dad being an alcoholic and old animosity with Dave Foley. That's been cleared up by now. And didn't he start some improv or sketch group in college with someone big? I guess I should Google him.

Edit:the podcast was Improv Nerd [http://www.feralaudio.com/22-kevin-mcdonald/] and the guy I was thinking of was Mike Myers.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 18, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The latest live episode's intro was so cathartic. If you've ever gotten your hair cut at Sweeney Todd's in LA, then you've probably wanted to yell at them the way Marc did.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

New ep with artie is classic. Top ten episodes for sure.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Incredible stories from Artie, yeah. Never knew about his father, which is just an insane story, even on top of his adult lifetime.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
During the Phil Stutz episode marc mentions he read a book called some thing to do with the "fear of death"? Does any one remember what it's called?

Thanks prawn.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 7, 2014

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
Think you're thinking of 'The Denial of Death', he's mentioned it a few times.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
While looking for poo poo to waste time listening to, I figured I'd check out Maron's appearances on Opie & Anthony, one of which he discusses his relationship with Margaret Cho and her surprising the gently caress out of him by talking about his penis for 15 minutes on a live show, so I immediately had to jump to watching that as well. Jesus Christ, this is just perfect WTF. Love this show so much, and only Marc Maron could pull something like this all off, since anyone else would WISELY think to not have crazy one-time sex partners on the show in front of a live audience. Similarly, Morgan Murphy. I feel sorry for her, because it's clear Marc was abusive to her. She's funny as hell on the live shows, but it says a lot that her family was literally like WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING at her appearing there. I love Maron, but I still feel really sorry for everyone who he hurts.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Morgan Murphy episode is up! This episode excites me in ways I've never felt going in before, since I know those two had a crazy relationship and Morgan is funny as hell.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That was a great episode, but I hated how Marc interrupted at the very end just as she was going to talk about her first writing job. I read an interview that said she was hired by Scott Aukerman and BJ Porter out of college to write on their Showtime sketch pilot with BJ Novak and Dan Mintz. But that's all it said.

On that note, have Aukerman or Porter ever done WTF? I can't find any info online about their falling out... or if there even was a falling out.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
I just watched Morgan's Irish Goodbye on Netflix last night, so I'm excited to hear she was on the show.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/195138

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Marc did a kind of reverse-WTF episode with aspiring comedian Danny Lobell:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/modern-day-philosophers-danny/id684158414

They use Spinoza and Hillel as a starting point and go in a lot of interesting directions. Marc sounds less bitter, but still jaded!

(fun fact: this is the first time Marc has sat in his own guest chair and given his host seat away)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

substitute posted:

I just watched Morgan's Irish Goodbye on Netflix last night, so I'm excited to hear she was on the show.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/195138

I'm halfway through the podcast but I definitely recommend Murphy's special on Netflix, it was hilarious.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Analytic Engine posted:

Marc did a kind of reverse-WTF episode with aspiring comedian Danny Lobell:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/modern-day-philosophers-danny/id684158414

They use Spinoza and Hillel as a starting point and go in a lot of interesting directions. Marc sounds less bitter, but still jaded!

(fun fact: this is the first time Marc has sat in his own guest chair and given his host seat away)

I saw this on twitter the other day and gave this podcast a try since I love hearing Marc's super intellectual wankfest WTF episodes. I gotta say Lobell seems like a funny guy but he really didn't do it for me here. At all. Marc delivers though, and i'd recommend the whole episode just to hear him.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

The Berzerker posted:

I'm halfway through the podcast but I definitely recommend Murphy's special on Netflix, it was hilarious.

This episode was very awkward towards the end. I got the feeling that Marc felt like crap, and Morgan just wanted to GTFO.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Quick Morgan Murphy story while she's on topic. I saw her with Comedians of Comedy several years ago (at a rock club), and the cruelest heckle I have ever witnessed was when she was up. Some rear end in a top hat said "I liked you in Mask" pretty early into her set. She seemed to handle it well, and even explained the reference for people that didn't get/hear it. (Eric Stolz movie from the 80s)

After her set, the next up dude just went off on that douche, and even Patton addressed it when he got up at the end. Every time I see her I think about how hosed up that was.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I'll never be able to forget that although I didn't even know what she looked like until just now. It's not that bad since she's not unattractive let alone deformed, but the hair really makes it.

Haha, Mask :iamafag:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

substitute posted:

Quick Morgan Murphy story while she's on topic. I saw her with Comedians of Comedy several years ago (at a rock club), and the cruelest heckle I have ever witnessed was when she was up. Some rear end in a top hat said "I liked you in Mask" pretty early into her set. She seemed to handle it well, and even explained the reference for people that didn't get/hear it. (Eric Stolz movie from the 80s)

After her set, the next up dude just went off on that douche, and even Patton addressed it when he got up at the end. Every time I see her I think about how hosed up that was.

Cat's Cradle, Durham?

The girl that Patton brought up (Darth Vader belt buckle) to help cuss out the heckler was wonderful.

e: vvv sure, but it was the opposite of well-crafted, and came off as mean-spirited as it was likely intended

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 5, 2014

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

substitute posted:

That's a decent joke. If a comic said a crafted version of it I'm sure laughs would be had.
EDIT: You obviously shouldn't heckle, but I don't see what the big deal of that joke is?

^^^^ yeah I mean in the realm of mean-spirited roast. If I was in the audience my reaction would've been "shut up no one cares about you..... That's pretty funny"

roach cum puddle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 5, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

roach cum puddle posted:

EDIT: You obviously shouldn't heckle, but I don't see what the big deal of that joke is?

LIFEHACK: Don't call a woman ugly.

I too get the Mask-vibe from certain pics of her. But I thought she looked pretty hot in her stand-up special. Her sultry voice, sense of humor, and love of manly man sports certainly helps.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
She has a lot of unruly hair. :D

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

jpotts posted:

This episode was very awkward towards the end. I got the feeling that Marc felt like crap, and Morgan just wanted to GTFO.

it was the classic marc maron apology where he re-opens some old wounds so he can feel better and make the person he's apologizing to uncomfortable. typical step 9 behavior

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Astrochicken posted:

I saw this on twitter the other day and gave this podcast a try since I love hearing Marc's super intellectual wankfest WTF episodes.

I'm probably in the minority view here, but his "intellectual wank fests" are extremely superficial. It's almost like he has a checklist of things to read/see/do ("HEY MAN, AS A JEW HOW INFLUENTIAL WAS PHILLIP ROTH TO YOU?") then always replies with "Oh yeah, man? Cool." without actually delving into it at all. The "search for self authentic self" is not an intellectual process at all, either, and that's what the bulk of the show has devolved into... from the humorless monologues at the beginning "I'm naked, haha. Liberating" to the questions he invariably asks his guests.

I think I'm done with the podcast after a year or so. He's a fantastic comedian, but completely pretentious and up his own rear end as a podcaster. Maybe I just need to stop listening to his interviews with musicians and actors and stick to the interviews with comedians, explicitly. And probably not one's he has any sort of past with, either.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

There is no amount of money you could pay me to listen to WTF episodes featuring a musician or non-comedy world actor.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

There is no amount of money you could pay me to listen to WTF episodes featuring a musician or non-comedy world actor.

Yup. Anything else gets deleted without a second thought.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

a_big_dog posted:

Yup. Anything else gets deleted without a second thought.

All of the episodes featuring 70s rock guitarists are like The Chris Farley Show sketch from SNL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKCM0u99II

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Between this and skipping through the monologue as quickly as possible I've found I don't yet have to unsubscribe, but it's getting close.

E- how can Jeff Daniels' head be that much larger than Chris Farley's??

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 9, 2014

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Well, I guess I know where the somethingawful hivemind stands on maron now.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I stopped listening to Maron about a year ago. Originally I had no problem with the opening angst-fests, but after a while it just began to feel like he was constantly looking for a wound to pick at. There's a difference between coming to terms with your flaws versus languishing in your insecurities.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm with most of you guys on the music episodes in that I usually skip them, although occasionally they can be good (Dave Grohl). I don't really get the anti-angst stuff though, I mean you kind of sign up for that when you start into anything Maron does.

Also he's boning Moon Zappa now. Facial hair daddy issues already have been mentioned.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think the problem is Marc has already done all the good interviews, there's just not many people left in the comedy world he hasn't talked to. There's still some good content here and there but sometimes I look at the guest and think wow the mom from Jurassic Park? Like really? There was nobody else? Nobody?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Laura Dern, of Blue Velvet (and other David Lynch movies) fame (and more)?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Also the star of what was widely considered to be one of the best, if not the best, shows of last year, Enlightened.

And eh, if you listened every week I could see why you'd dislike WTF now, but Marc is still pretty consistent for me when it comes to interviews with people I like, so I'm happy to know it's chugging along and that I can drop in every now and then.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, nothing wrong with Laura "The 'mom' from Jurassic Park" Dern.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Laura Dern is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNR4hKbSH7I
not the momma

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I suppose she could be considered the mother of all triceratops doctors.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Pryor on Fire posted:

the mom from Jurassic Park?

Hahahaha

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

WTF With Marc Maron: The mom from Jurassic Park

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

WTF With Marc Maron: The mom from Jurassic Park

Someone put this on the back burner for when the thread needs updating because holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I enjoyed his interview with the Rabbi from Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

• Locked thread