Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Troy Queef posted:

My mother (a big Jeopardy fan who raised me on the game) loved Chuck when he was first on, so she was excited for this episode and the return of the Forrest Bounce and Alex saying "Chuck?" a lot.

Personally I'm excited for the return this week of Former Port Authority Police Lt. Frank Spangenberg.

Look at this loving Jeopardy contestant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Tonight's episode sucked rear end. Just because these are champions doesnt mean the questions have to be insufferable for the people at home. Also for those playing jeopardy bingo you can mark off the bible bullshit and president squares, as expected.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

escape artist posted:

You realize he did that on purpose, right? He was being kind. "If you get the question right, we both win!" It was super cool of him to do.

I wonder if there is value in bringing someone you have beaten to the next game. Instead of two possible usurpers, one slot is taken by someone you could have beaten if you wanted to.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
When will regular Jeopardy be back? Yes I'm one of those annoying goons that only wants to watch because of Arthur employing actual game theory strategy to this contest.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Korak posted:

When will regular Jeopardy be back? Yes I'm one of those annoying goons that only wants to watch because of Arthur employing actual game theory strategy to this contest.

3 Tournaments of 15 is 3 x (5 + 3 + 2) episodes.

Prelims is 5 episodes.
Semis are 3.
Finals are 2.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Or you could just say 'six weeks'

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Persona non grata posted:

I wonder if there is value in bringing someone you have beaten to the next game. Instead of two possible usurpers, one slot is taken by someone you could have beaten if you wanted to.

I wanna see a group of three people agree before the game to tank final jeopardy on purpose with the top 2 wagering enough to tie the guy with the least money who bets 0 so all 3 move on. Then just keep doing this every game forever.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

zVxTeflon posted:

I wanna see a group of three people agree before the game to tank final jeopardy on purpose with the top 2 wagering enough to tie the guy with the least money who bets 0 so all 3 move on. Then just keep doing this every game forever.

Yes I also saw A Beautiful Mind.

Seriously, though, I think what you're describing is illegal.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I never saw it is that seriously the plot?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

That's literally a violation of federal law thanks to the quiz show scandals.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
^^Yup, literally a violation of federal law.

zVxTeflon posted:

I never saw it is that seriously the plot?

No, but a big part of the movie is the development of Nash Equilibrium.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Whole lot of non-jeopardy watching people acting like arthur chu is the messiah of tactics when its something people have done before many times.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Allen Wren posted:

I did it, specifically in case any of my assumptions are wrong. For example, I'm assuming that each decade tournament plays out to completion. There may be extra games to have the winners of each decade play each other. There may be less games if they just treat the decades as brackets, and have a combined set of playoffs for them all together.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Oh my that Jessica answer was embarrassing.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I rather dislike this Arthur fella and am quite happy to be rid of him for the next several weeks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Alex's joke at the end was the best part about it.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I rather dislike this Arthur fella and am quite happy to be rid of him for the next several weeks.

Its really hilarious how his 15 minutes of fame are being wasted because all the news and articles are getting people to tune in only to see the multi-week champion tournament and theres no way they are booking him again on news tv.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Allen Wren posted:

Or you could look at the website. The tournament isn't all airing consecutively. Regular shows will be back next week.

StarryEyed
Oct 5, 2006

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I know, everyone knows baby Jessica was the one that fell into the well!! I'm glad Leslie is gone. She was loving annoying.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How come a bunch of these "1980s" champions were from shows aired in the 90s?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

How come a bunch of these "1980s" champions were from shows aired in the 90s?

Bad naming. It's a 30 year anniversary tournament, so the brackets are really 84-93, 94-03, & 04-13.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

I did it, specifically in case any of my assumptions are wrong. For example, I'm assuming that each decade tournament plays out to completion. There may be extra games to have the winners of each decade play each other. There may be less games if they just treat the decades as brackets, and have a combined set of playoffs for them all together.

It's not six weeks it's five weeks. The fifteen winners from the three decade weeks will then play a normal Tournament of Champions format that will last two weeks. The 2 week tournament will air much later. Arthur will be back after three weeks, not six.

Oh and those with a hard-on for Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings:

[I was wrong their doing 90s week and 00s week much later]

cf1140 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 8, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

And Spangenberg's Glorious Mustache is on tonight!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
^ ^ ^ E: Holy poo poo, not only does he have a glorious stache, he's crazy tall. :stare: ^ ^ ^

cf1140 posted:

Brad Rutter will be on Friday, February 14.
Ken Jennings will be on Thursday, February 20.

Ok, but when is Watson coming back? :colbert:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 7, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zakharov posted:

And Spangenberg's Glorious Mustache is on tonight!

And he lost. :( I love his indecipherable voice.

Hell of a game though. Should I be annoyed or proud that I got 3 triple-stumpers right in a Tournament of Champions game?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It was worth having him on for the Stop and Frisk question. :lol: at everyone's reaction to that.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
That guy in the middle wasnt having any of jeopardy's poo poo tonight. Did anyone catch what some of his remarks were after incorrect answers and judges rulings? Ended up winning by luck too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So this is a thing now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaimM7ZnTc8

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

oh my god the Forrest Bounce

DAILY DOUCHE

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That Arthur Chu guy is cool. Doesn't give a gently caress that dude is playing to win man. And pissing everyone off in the process good stuff.

I don't even watch jeopardy.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I don't get all this Chu poo poo. His tactics are something you see relatively often with 3+ day champs. I think the whole reason this pudgy jerk is getting the attention is because of the tie bid and the fact he routinely cuts off and annoys Trebek.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Perfidus posted:

I don't get all this Chu poo poo. His tactics are something you see relatively often with 3+ day champs. I think the whole reason this pudgy jerk is getting the attention is because of the tie bid and the fact he routinely cuts off and annoys Trebek.

Yeah I've been watching him and while he's kind of annoying, I never expected to see people talking about him, or articles saying he "broke" Jeopardy. He's only been there four days.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perfidus posted:

Because Twitter has latched onto it, and reporting on Twitter trends is a low-effort, high-payout form of journalism these days.

But not the Taiwanese news animation -- that was magic.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Yeah, the Chu articles have been really annoying. "LOOK AT HIM USING GAME THEORY!" No, he's just hopping around categories, which I can remember at least two other people doing in the past year. I mean, I guess he's defecting from the commonly understood but not-written rule that you go straight down a category, but that's hardly Nobel Prize-level stuff that CNN and others feel like they're making it out to be.

But really, last night's game was the best Jeopardy I've seen in a long time. I'm really excited for this tournament now and disappointed to hear we're going back to normal episodes next week. What's even worse is that my affiliate airs Jeopardy reruns from ~6 months ago after the local news, but it's been one of the teen tournaments this week. :gonk:

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone

FadingChord posted:

Yeah, the Chu articles have been really annoying. "LOOK AT HIM USING GAME THEORY!" No, he's just hopping around categories, which I can remember at least two other people doing in the past year. I mean, I guess he's defecting from the commonly understood but not-written rule that you go straight down a category, but that's hardly Nobel Prize-level stuff that CNN and others feel like they're making it out to be.
The media have been awfully quick to jump on the Chu bandwagon considering he's only won four times and not by particularly large margins. Is it possible that he's already had several more wins taped, the information leaked, and this primed the media to think he's so great?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Holy loving poo poo, just got my Jeopardy taping callback an hour or so ago. They penciled me in for March 11-12, so I have a month to prepare, I guess. So loving excited. Not really sure what else to say at this point... The lady who called me told me not to put it out on blast on social media that I was going to be at a taping and possibly on the show until the show I'm on is actually recorded, but I figure letting you guys know wouldn't violate that since unless you pull off some internet detective poo poo, you people here don't really know who I am personally and get me in trouble.

Been talking with a Jeopardy watching cousin about what I'll do when I do get on, and he asked me if I would employ the Chu strategy and do the Forrest Bounce. Told him that while I understand the methodology behind it, and that it seems to be working for Chu, I probably wouldn't use it myself, since it doesn't make for good TV and it could backfire if I mess it up. Probably just going to hunt for Daily Doubles in categories I feel comfortable in, after taking a lower value clue or two in the category first.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 8, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Google "Jeopardy strategies," it's what Arthur did. :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

Holy loving poo poo, just got my Jeopardy taping callback an hour or so ago. They penciled me in for March 11-12, so I have a month to prepare, I guess. So loving excited. Not really sure what else to say at this point... The lady who called me told me not to put it out on blast on social media that I was going to be at a taping and possibly on the show until the show I'm on is actually recorded, but I figure letting you guys know wouldn't violate that since unless you pull off some internet detective poo poo, you people here don't really know who I am personally and get me in trouble.

Been talking with a Jeopardy watching cousin about what I'll do when I do get on, and he asked me if I would employ the Chu strategy and do the Forrest Bounce. Told him that while I understand the methodology behind it, and that it seems to be working for Chu, I probably wouldn't use it myself, since it doesn't make for good TV and it could backfire if I mess it up. Probably just going to hunt for Daily Doubles in categories I feel comfortable in, after taking a lower value clue or two in the category first.

Do it man. gently caress good tv get that money. Eyes on the prize!!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Congrats! Prepare for the most surreal experience ever, and get ready to be blown away by their ultra high-tech method of picking when it's your turn to play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

The Human Cow posted:

Congrats! Prepare for the most surreal experience ever, and get ready to be blown away by their ultra high-tech method of picking when it's your turn to play!

Do they literally pull names out of a hat?