Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerrMorden
Sep 5, 2004

Thought begets Heresy, Heresy begets Retribution.
WH40K 6.5 Superfriends Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

For additional reference, the Imperial Fist supplement has a master-crafted bolt pistol that ignores cover for 5pts.

If only yellow wasn't such a difficult color for me to paint... if only...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Badgersmasher posted:

Grav guns are certainly better against marines but against literally anything else I'd rather have plasma. As for deathwing being fragile; they may not have storm shields but you don't need storm shields against most threats and those that you do, you should be able to cripple turn 1 when the entire army arrives at point blank range. And yes, I conceded that Khan allows space marine bikes to perform as well as ravenwing bikes and if you want to just run lots of bikes white scars are the army to run but if you want to run a list that uses bikes and terminators I still believe that Dark Angels are the more viable option. And paying 4 points a model for fearless, split fire, and guaranteed reserves seems like a good deal to me.

As a Dark Angels player: I can run a bike/termie army with the SM book and come out ahead, easily. DW terminators are not really worth the points you spend on them, and Ravenwing are straight-up worse than White Scars with the exception of Black Knights.

C:SM is overall miles ahead of DA, and their only real use is as allies for Azrael in a 50-man IG blob.

It might look good on paper, and maybe in theory, but in practice it suffers from being (yet again) the first Marine codex in a new edition.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I am loving pumped for this game. Probably won't have the warhound painted in time though.

Well I guess you can't use it then. Sorry pal, your rules, not mine. :colbert:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Which IA book contains the assault rules for the DKoK?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Which IA book contains the assault rules for the DKoK?

Siege of Vraks. IA5.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Siege of Vraks.

That contains the Assault Brigade rules? I thought that only contained the Siege List stuff.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh whoops, I missed that part of your post.

I have no idea.

Wait now I do. It's Vol. 12.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Oh whoops, I missed that part of your post.

I have no idea.

Wait now I do. It's Vol. 12.

Okay, cool, thanks. Negotiating with this guy to lower the price a bit so I can actually afford this DKoK stuff. The Assault Brigade appeals to me for one reason and one reason only:
"Forlorn Hope

If the player chooses to use this rule, when Infantry Platoons get destroyed they go into ongoing reserves, meaning an endless supply of guardsman.
If you do take this option though, you get to place an Assault objective in the opponent's deployment zone that gets them a victory point if the Death Korp player does NOT claim it. Though the assault brigade gets 2 points if they do manage to get it.

This list also includes it's own set of krieg Orders, similar to those of the Imperial Guard, as well as it's own warlord trait table. "

This seems like the most OP thing ever and I love it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's really not, the whole platoon being destroyed means something terribly wrong is happening to you.

Unless they get some special mode of deployment afterwards, like outflank, then they're just going to be back on your board edge.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I just watched Season 2 of Downton Abbey actually, and Death Korps has a really strong appeal for me now.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Cassa posted:

It's really not, the whole platoon being destroyed means something terribly wrong is happening to you.

Unless they get some special mode of deployment afterwards, like outflank, then they're just going to be back on your board edge.

Well, yeah, but you can technically run the game for as long as you want and eventually win by means of attrition if it's a kill point game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Would it not end at Turn 7?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Those five dudes multiplied fast. I mentioned to one dude at work that I was thinking about getting back in and he gave me a box with some truly ancient pieces and a Rhino still in the plastic. From what I can tell, among the miscellenea the box contains a 1990 Ultramarines Captain, a Blood Angel Captain from the same year, a 3rd edition limited Space Marines captain with a power axe, the '91 Games Day captain, a few old Grey Knights, a Rogue Trader Librarian, and another old school Librarian that I can't identify. I guess I'm set for HQ choices...

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Would it not end at Turn 7?

Is that the cut-off point for 40k games at the moment? Bare with me, I'm EXTREMELY rusty on rules at the moment.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

As a Dark Angels player: I can run a bike/termie army with the SM book and come out ahead, easily. DW terminators are not really worth the points you spend on them, and Ravenwing are straight-up worse than White Scars with the exception of Black Knights.

C:SM is overall miles ahead of DA, and their only real use is as allies for Azrael in a 50-man IG blob.

It might look good on paper, and maybe in theory, but in practice it suffers from being (yet again) the first Marine codex in a new edition.

The only advantages a Dark Angels list would have over a White Scars list are the Banner of Devastation (twin-linked salvo 4 bolters on my bikes? Yes please), and Deathwing Assault. Otherwise the White Scars do most of the same things for cheaper.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Is that the cut-off point for 40k games at the moment? Bare with me, I'm EXTREMELY rusty on rules at the moment.

Yeah, games end somewhere between turns 5 and 7. It's left up to the dice. :rolldice:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

Those five dudes multiplied fast. I mentioned to one dude at work that I was thinking about getting back in and he gave me a box with some truly ancient pieces and a Rhino still in the plastic. From what I can tell, among the miscellenea the box contains a 1990 Ultramarines Captain, a Blood Angel Captain from the same year, a 3rd edition limited Space Marines captain with a power axe, the '91 Games Day captain, a few old Grey Knights, a Rogue Trader Librarian, and another old school Librarian that I can't identify. I guess I'm set for HQ choices...

Post the librarian here and we can probably identify it for you.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, games end somewhere between turns 5 and 7. It's left up to the dice. :rolldice:

Oh, I forgot about that. I looked it up and you guys are right - there go my hopes of an endless human wave of DKoK.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It wasn't a librarian as I thought (I was posting from faulty memory), it's the Terminator Captain from the 80s. The actual model is being stripped right now, but this is the one:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Oh, I forgot about that. I looked it up and you guys are right - there go my hopes of an endless human wave of DKoK.

Well you can kind of do it with the Imperial Guard codex and Commander Chenkov.

You have less of a killpoints problem, (each unit nowadays is a single kill point, so a guardsmen platoon is at minimum 3) and can decide when you want to pull it off the board for your reinforcements.

Human wave tactics aren't exactly terrible nowadays, but there aren't any armies that get the kind of reinforcements for free like you want.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

It would also invariably lead to min-maxed super builds as people figure out the best combination of upgrades to make unkillable 4E WHFB style super lords.

Yes but the issue is not whether there are dominant strategies but rather the number of them. It is OK to have a system that creates 10 different options per army where only 2-3 are viable because that still creates a large enough number of playable options at the highest tier to make the game interesting and the choices matter.

The ultimate example of this was Marvel vs. Capcom 2, which had 56 playable characters. Of these, about 15 are seriously tournament-playable (i.e. they are "god" or "top" tier), creating around 30 teams you could play at the tournament level without handicapping yourself. While you could look at that and focus on the 40 or so characters that aren't worth playing at the tournament level, you should also recognize that 15 characters and 30 options is a hell of a lot for a fighting game and enough to keep things interesting for a long time!

Yes, more options is going to inevitably lead to dominant builds, but with enough options per army, this will balance itself out.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Dredd marine almost done, bonus shot of my couch

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

You didn't prime that mini before you started painting, all that work is going to be undone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Icon Of Sin posted:

The only advantages a Dark Angels list would have over a White Scars list are the Banner of Devastation (twin-linked salvo 4 bolters on my bikes? Yes please), and Deathwing Assault. Otherwise the White Scars do most of the same things for cheaper.

And Divination Librarians. Not much else though, which is really too bad. Dark Angels have a really great visual style that makes them pretty unique compared to the other Space Marines.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Dredd marine almost done, bonus shot of my couch

Your yellow looks bad, frankly, but the rest of the miniature is pretty solid and you got the colours dead-on. Pretty neat.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I need to do another few coats of the yellow, and find a way to basically re-do the bottom boot Aquila. After that it's just the backpack, the helmet, and then some washing and touch ups.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I need to do another few coats of the yellow, and find a way to basically re-do the bottom boot Aquila. After that it's just the backpack, the helmet, and then some washing and touch ups.

Yellow is a pain, I don't blame you. If this turns into a full army it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Yellow is easier if you work with an actual base paint first, then apply the layer color. The way to do the yellow on eagle emblems is this:

- cover with a very light coat of Averland Sunset (or just raised areas if you primed black)
- cover with a coat of Reikland Fleshshade
- hit raised areas/drybrush with Flash Gitz Yellow

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I started with Averland, then washed Bloodletter for a unique effect, then painted Flash Gitz. I hosed up, though, and just decided to paint the whole thing Flash Gitz. I'm going to touch it up when I do the final wash for the whole mini.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So I convinced the seller to lower the price on the DKoK auction.

Included are:
- 45 guardsmen
- 1 command squad (5 men?)
- 1 Leman Russ
- 1 Hellhound
- 1 Death Rider

Is this a good list? Will I lose every game? Will I stomp everything? Help me out here. I plan on using the assault list.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't have the IA that's from but that's not a whole lot of units.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I don't have the IA that's from but that's not a whole lot of units.

45 guardsmen isn't enough? Surely that's enough to blob my way to victory. :?:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

45 guardsmen isn't enough? Surely that's enough to blob my way to victory. :?

That's a single blob that's one artillery shot away from not being a threat. Best to go with 2 blobs and add commissars, just to be sure :unsmigghh:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

That's a single blob that's one artillery shot away from not being a threat. Best to go with 2 blobs and add commissars, just to be sure :unsmigghh:

poo poo, well, work with me here. I can only afford this and the offer is too good to pass up. Could I separate them into 4 tiny blobs and have the army still be viable?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So I convinced the seller to lower the price on the DKoK auction.

Included are:
- 45 guardsmen
- 1 command squad (5 men?)
- 1 Leman Russ
- 1 Hellhound
- 1 Death Rider

Is this a good list? Will I lose every game? Will I stomp everything? Help me out here. I plan on using the assault list.

What part of the country are you in?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That's like two turns of being shot by a Tactical Squad or like a turn of being shot by any Large Blast weapon.

It's a fine start but no, it's not a particularly large number of troops. But then again I think that would come to like 800 points or something. A single Death Rider is a novelty, Hellhounds are okay in some scenarios, and Leman Russes are also good.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

That's like two turns of being shot by a Tactical Squad or like a turn of being shot by any Large Blast weapon.

It's a fine start but no, it's not a particularly large number of troops. But then again I think that would come to like 800 points or something. A single Death Rider is a novelty, Hellhounds are okay in some scenarios, and Leman Russes are also good.

gently caress. $430 for 800 points? Maybe I'll pass this up.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

gently caress. $430 for 800 points? Maybe I'll pass this up.

I don't have the IA this is from, again, but the 800 points just thoughtcrafting in the dark. 45 models could probably be split up adequately in <1250 games if you got some legitimate backfield firepower and picked up something like an ADL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

poo poo, well, work with me here. I can only afford this and the offer is too good to pass up. Could I separate them into 4 tiny blobs and have the army still be viable?

They'll work fine as a meat shield for your Russ, but if you're going to run a large blob like that you'll need a commissar to make them stubborn (and to re-roll failed ld checks, for the low, low price of one sergeant). Having a blob get swept because a vindicare sniped out the commissar then a GK squad got in and started cracking skulls is something you'd be better off avoiding :v:

• Locked thread