Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
My apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

I'd like to expand my US political news/analysis podcast list and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I currently subscribe to:

- all the typical Sunday shows
- My History Can Beat Up Your Politics
- New Yorker: The Political Scene **
- PBS' Washington Week
- KCRW's Left, Right & Center
- Slate's Political Gabfest
- KCRW's To the Point
- Shields and Brooks
- Cato Daily Podcast

** The Political Scene is my absolute favorite and I'm always disappointed that episodes are only 20 minutes long at most. It provides both a depth of analysis and thoughtful civility that I just haven't found anywhere else. I'd kill for something like this in an hour-long format; MHCBUYP comes pretty close.

Any podcast that could take any of the posts in this thread as topics to run with would be cool.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Re: The thread title, does anyone even care about Rubio at this point? I assume he's still puttering around out there in the 2016 back alleys, but he has nothing to offer at this point. Cruz has pretty much stolen his thunder, especially after the immigration fiasco.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SombreroAgnew posted:

Re: The thread title, does anyone even care about Rubio at this point? I assume he's still puttering around out there in the 2016 back alleys, but he has nothing to offer at this point. Cruz has pretty much stolen his thunder, especially after the immigration fiasco.
Cruz is well and truly hated by pretty much everyone within the Republican establishment, and he did a lot of damage to himself by leading the GOP into that shutdown debacle last fall. Rubio was written off for dead early last year, but given how much of a train wreck the rest of the GOP field has become, I think Rubio is going to get a second look from the usual kingmakers. I'm bullish on Rubio.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SombreroAgnew posted:

Posted this a couple days ago, but yes apparently some people do care about Rubio.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/197176-gop-insiders-buying-stock-in-rubio-2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'd like to expand my US political news/analysis podcast list and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I currently subscribe to:

- My History Can Beat Up Your Politics
- New Yorker: The Political Scene **
- PBS' Washington Week
- KCRW's Left, Right & Center
- Slate's Political Gabfest
- KCRW's To the Point
- Shields and Brooks
- Cato Daily Podcast

I can't even begin to imagine what listening to all of that on top of the Sunday shows would do to my brain, but Decode DC from former NPR anchor Andrea Seabrook sounds like something you'd enjoy. I stopped listening to it after the fourth episode because it's very much a View from Nowhere product.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
[sorry, stupid post]

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Joementum posted:

I can't even begin to imagine what listening to all of that on top of the Sunday shows would do to my brain, but Decode DC from former NPR anchor Andrea Seabrook sounds like something you'd enjoy. I stopped listening to it after the fourth episode because it's very much a View from Nowhere product.

Thanks, Joe. I'll give it a shot though I tend to prefer a bit of analysis in addition to purely objective reporting.

Most of the shows obviously cover much of the same ground, but there are pearls here and there. I get bored easily and love to have this stuff on in the background and am lucky to have to opportunity to be able to do so.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Thanks, Joe. I'll give it a shot though I tend to prefer a bit of analysis in addition to purely objective reporting.

Most of the shows obviously cover much of the same ground, but there are pearls here and there. I get bored easily and love to have this stuff on in the background and am lucky to have to opportunity to be able to do so.
Agree with Joe that Decode DC is too noncommittal about the truth. ReindeerF has a thread with recommendations:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573801

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

pangstrom posted:

Agree with Joe that Decode DC is too noncommittal about the truth. ReindeerF has a thread with recommendations:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573801

Thanks for the link -- that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Book it! There's gonna be a Koch party in April with all your favorite people who won't be President.

quote:

Featured speakers include Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Mike Lee (R-UT), Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Donald Trump, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, and American Enterprise Institute (AEI) President Arthur Brooks.

Citizens United and Americans For Prosperity Foundation are joining forces to host the April 12 event, titled the “Freedom Summit,” in Manchester, New Hampshire. Breitbart News will be live broadcasting the event online on Breitbart TV.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, those criticisms ring pretty hollow when you consider that there's nobody close to being an Obama 2008 level candidate, Hillary 2016 is a lot stronger than Hillary 2008 and Hillary 2008 had a really strong showing anyway. Plus, it seems disingenuous to suggest that Hillary 2008's biggest flaw was that she 'acted too much like the presumptive nominee,' because you can tout that you're the presumptive nominee and not have a miserably run campaign. Also, Iraq etc
The other problem is there's no challenger from the left that would provide an alternative to HRC either. If Warren was running, I could see her with the right people in a campaign putting a dent in Hillary's numbers, although ultimately Hillary has a ridiculous money advantage.

But it's blindingly obvious that the party is clearing the deck so she can run mostly unopposed, while the Republicans beat the crap out of each other in their primaries again. I don't think anyone in the party wants a repeat of those 2008 primaries.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Book it! There's gonna be a Koch party in April with all your favorite people who won't be President.

Well let's not be too hasty there...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm pleased to see Christie still has 10 points in that pack, but that is merely for a nomination, not the clown-show that the general seems doomed to be.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I really, really don't think christie is out, by a long shot. 2016 is, in terms of the 24 hour news cycle, an era away. I will fo so far as to say that barring charges levied against christie himself, and no less, then bare minimun he throws his hat in the ring in 2016. Winning debates and primaries are a different deal entirely, But I'm sure he'll close that bridge when he gets to it. The republicans have proven their ability to shape the narrative as they see fit far outstrips the democrats. Having a media outlet that is essentially a republican party PR firm will do thay.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm pleased to see Christie still has 10 points in that pack, but that is merely for a nomination, not the clown-show that the general seems doomed to be.

Oh I know, I just wanted an excuse to post a funny poll.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I really, really don't think christie is out, by a long shot. 2016 is, in terms of the 24 hour news cycle, an era away. I will fo so far as to say that barring charges levied against christie himself, and no less, then bare minimun he throws his hat in the ring in 2016. Winning debates and primaries are a different deal entirely, But I'm sure he'll close that bridge when he gets to it. The republicans have proven their ability to shape the narrative as they see fit far outstrips the democrats. Having a media outlet that is essentially a republican party PR firm will do thay.

A lot'll depend on whether the donor class gets cold feet toward him, which there's been some rumblings of, but it's pretty much impossible to determine this far out. I still think he'll run and wind up the nominee if he's not impeached/resigns/in prison too.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 5, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

FlamingLiberal posted:

The other problem is there's no challenger from the left that would provide an alternative to HRC either. If Warren was running, I could see her with the right people in a campaign putting a dent in Hillary's numbers, although ultimately Hillary has a ridiculous money advantage.

But it's blindingly obvious that the party is clearing the deck so she can run mostly unopposed, while the Republicans beat the crap out of each other in their primaries again. I don't think anyone in the party wants a repeat of those 2008 primaries.

If Hillary's nomination really does take on the character of a coronation, I imagine the real competition will be for the number 2 slot then. It'd make sense to pick one of the younger up-and-comers to groom for the party's future, since once Obama and Clinton have each had the presidency the Democrats' will have tapped out their biggest star power options.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Republicans got dominated on narrative in the last election.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

comes along bort posted:

A lot'll depend on whether the donor class gets cold feet toward him...

Yes. This is the real danger -- not if Christie will be electable come 2016, but how the mega-donors and bundlers feel about things right now. The longer this drags on, the more likely they'll get cold feet and commit to someone else. This could all be done and forgotten by the summer of 2016, but that will matter little if Christie can't get his financial ducks in a row first. Because he won't make it there otherwise.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Republicans got dominated on narrative in the last election.

And why would they shape it around him anyway. Political nerds got their bee in a bonnet about christie for some reason during sandy and have completely ignored the myriad of reasons he's got virtually no chance in the primaries with or without dead grandmas on bridges.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

De Nomolos posted:

O'Malley 2016 exploratory committee is now official.

A little surprised he's the one going this early. He could have Cardin or Mikulski's seat if he wants it, easily (no idea if he'd want it). One of them will likely be gone in a cycle or 3. May as well get out in front of everyone else and get the publicity if you really want to run, I guess.

I expected someone with no other possible future other than the presidency or a cabinet secretary appointment, like Schweitzer.

Schweitzer could have easily ran for the open seat in Montana this cycle and would probably have been the favorite to win it. Retaining it in the face of national politics would be a tougher issue though.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ugh, really? The Sunday shows are almost entirely mouthpieces for Official Washington - remember, they were a major platform for selling that whole Iraq thingy. I suppose if you want to know what the party line is it's a fair thing to watch, but I'm inclined to say don't waste your time.

Three additions from my my own list. Bill Moyer's Moyers & Company, NPR's On the Media, and FAIR's Counterspin. The last is more explicitly leftist and confrontational than the others, which I like purely from a bracing, 'WTF' perspective.

De Nomolos posted:

O'Malley 2016 exploratory committee is now official.

O'Malley's presidential ambitions got us marriage equality in Maryland. For that alone I'd say it was worthwhile.

De Nomolos posted:

A little surprised he's the one going this early. He could have Cardin or Mikulski's seat if he wants it, easily (no idea if he'd want it). One of them will likely be gone in a cycle or 3. May as well get out in front of everyone else and get the publicity if you really want to run, I guess.

Mikulski ran for re-election in 2010, when it was widely rumored she'd retire. Apparently Chris Van Hollen got pretty torqued off, as he was gunning for that seat. She was about to become appropriations chair, so in retrospect is was probably always unlikely she'd give up a shot at that. There was also word Mikulski wants to be replaced by a woman, and there honestly aren't that many in statewide politics in Maryland. Donna Edwards is the only Maryland woman in the House.

Cardin isn't up until 2018, and probably isn't going anywhere any time soon. He likes the gig and is too bland to be worth primarying.

Come to Maryland! We're Bland! (Hence all the Old Bay)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

My apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

You could add in Democracy Now too. It's an interesting mix of current political events and interviews from a really leftist perspective.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Platonicsolid posted:

Ugh, really? The Sunday shows are almost entirely mouthpieces for Official Washington - remember, they were a major platform for selling that whole Iraq thingy. I suppose if you want to know what the party line is it's a fair thing to watch, but I'm inclined to say don't waste your time.

I totally get what you're saying and am aware that I'm getting party-line talking points. I value these shows more for who they have on than what they actually say.

Take, for example, Giuliani's recent appearances. Who cares what he's going to say in defense of Christie, right, because it's all going to be boilerplate. What's more telling is the fact that Giuliani--someone fairly removed from active politics and thus with not much to lose in that arena--seems to be the only one mounting a vigorous defense of Christie. Most any Republican with skin in the game is keeping their head down. That tells me more about what the inter-party feelings towards Christie's prospects are more than anything they'll say.

So that's kind of how I approach the "sunday shows."

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
IRL Joe Biden Continues Transformation Into Onion Joe Biden

quote:

“Everyone wants to know whether or not I’m going to run for president,” Biden said. “There’s a lot of reasons to run for president, but there’s one overwhelming reason not to run for president. I’d like to get that Z06 with 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. 3.4 seconds!”

“You tack that sucker up to six grand and this comes out of the hole like a bullet, man,” Biden went on.

quote:

“I still have my ‘67 Corvette. By the way, my grown sons had it rebuilt for me, and it cost seven times the sticker price, rebuilt. But it’s a quarter horse, man. That’s all it is, is a quarter horse,” Biden said. “But that new Stingray, yoooo. Oh, it’s more than a quarter horse, even though it goes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds — not that I like speed. It also can track on a curve. It has a 106.7 inch wheelbase. It has more weight in the back, for the first time ever. And I could hardly wait, if I were just not in this job, to take on my friend’s Porsche.”

:allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

If the president gets an Air Force One, the vice president needs a Muscle Car One. :colbert:

Also, Joe should be VP for life.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I thought SS only prevented VIPs from driving on public roads. Couldn't he go to a track day or something?

Biden's love for driving is like watching a street urchin look through a bakery window. Put a SS man in the passenger seat and let the poor man drive.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They let him do burnouts in his driveway.

quote:

The vice president has a 1967 Corvette Stingray that his father bought him as a wedding gift. He lamented that the Secret Service doesn’t allow him to drive it anymore due to security reasons, but that hasn’t stopped him getting behind the wheel in his driveway at his home in Delaware.

He said he told his Secret Service agent last year “either get in the passenger seat with me or shoot me, because I’m moving.” Mr. Biden said he did a 60-foot burnout—in his driveway, not on a public road

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I thought SS only prevented VIPs from driving on public roads. Couldn't he go to a track day or something?

Biden's love for driving is like watching a street urchin look through a bakery window. Put a SS man in the passenger seat and let the poor man drive.

Maybe they could use a chase helicopter.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Just modify a corvette so it seats the VP and a SS agent with NASCAR style safety restraint systems. The VP has to supply his own aviator glasses but now the VP has the ultimate symbol of America, a gas guzzling muscle car. And to really make it :911: make it candy apple red with a wind blown flag painted on both doors and an American eagle on the hood.

Hell, Chevy should just present one to him at this point for us bailing them out a few years ago.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm always amazed that the VP and president can't just tell the SS to pound sand on issues like that. He's got his own license and his own car, it would be assault to drag him out of it if he was not violating the law and didn't want to be removed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm always amazed that the VP and president can't just tell the SS to pound sand on issues like that. He's got his own license and his own car, it would be assault to drag him out of it if he was not violating the law and didn't want to be removed.

Well they're perfectly willing to lock gates and lose keys if it comes to that, but I'm sure he could figure it out eventually if he wanted to be openly shamed in the news after the SS closed down the entire neighborhood so the VP could go joy-riding.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just modify a corvette so it seats the VP and a SS agent with NASCAR style safety restraint systems. The VP has to supply his own aviator glasses but now the VP has the ultimate symbol of America, a gas guzzling muscle car. And to really make it :911: make it candy apple red with a wind blown flag painted on both doors and an American eagle on the hood.

Hell, Chevy should just present one to him at this point for us bailing them out a few years ago.

If Diamond Joe doesn't get this paint job then the terrorists have won.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHQQ2dyJ_YE It's even more :911: in video. Check out 2:30 where they get around to the hood.

They'd have to put it on a vette though.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 6, 2014

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHQQ2dyJ_YE It's even more :911: in video. Check out 2:30 where they get around to the hood.

They'd have to put it on a vette though.

I hope that is actual paint instead of just a wrap because holy poo poo the amount of time that must have taken.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

The VP has to supply his own aviator glasses

The only person I might suspect of having a more ample supply of aviator glasses than Biden is Stan Lee.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Cliff Racer posted:

Of course the President could throw around his constitutional authority if he wanted to but there's a fairly obvious reason not to openly antagonize the organization that protects his wife and childrens' lives.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, Romney's definitely running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhZYyhhMnqI&t=310s

After that, skip to the beginning of the video to hear him talk about how he'd handle exploding toothpaste.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha, :wow: really wants him to run again. Every time Mitt said "no" he just kept on trying to convince him.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Of course the President could throw around his constitutional authority if he wanted to but there's a fairly obvious reason not to openly antagonize the organization that protects his wife and childrens' lives.

The overreach of the security state is crazy. Homeland Security gets the most attention, but in DC, navigating Secret Service requirements is almost a full time job.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

The overreach of the security state is crazy. Homeland Security gets the most attention, but in DC, navigating Secret Service requirements is almost a full time job.

SS is part of HS though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Lycus posted:

Haha, :wow: really wants him to run again. Every time Mitt said "no" he just kept on trying to convince him.

Wolf Blitzer is in permanent horse-trading mode.

• Locked thread