Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

It's recommended that you only use cold water for cooking, even if you're heating it, because hot will leach small amounts of lead from pipe solder. In reality, I think the vast majority of people use warm or hot water to start, I know I do.

I just start with cold. Takes a little longer to boil but i'd have to wait for the hot water to finally work its way to the faucet so it's a wash either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bunnielab posted:

Wait, isnt America 120v/20amp? Or is that just commercial stuff? I have metered a ton of outlets for work and most are like 18-19amp.

Most outlets in the average American home will be 15A. Some homes may have a few 20A outlets in the bathroom and/or kitchen, and if they have outlets on the outside of the house, those might be 20A as well. But most are just 15.

Here's a picture so you can tell a 15A outlet from a 20A.
\

And yeah, a lot of commercial applications are typically 20A, IIRC.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I prefer my leftovers cold, and I know I'm weird. Lukewarm maybe.

It's a snow day and my plans got derailed after I was dumb enough to drive in it and got stuck (and then the state trooper who came to check on my car did too, whoooops) so I'm going to sit at home in a snuggie and drink wine all afternoon. Bachelorette life.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey I just learned a thing.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
220, 221, whatever it takes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

Ehhh, a little lead never hurt anybody.
I should qualify that by saying that I've tested my water and there's no detectable level of lead.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Grape Soda posted:

It's a snow day and my plans got derailed after I was dumb enough to drive in it and got stuck (and then the state trooper who came to check on my car did too, whoooops) so I'm going to sit at home in a snuggie and drink wine all afternoon. Bachelorette life.

Everyone who talks poo poo about snuggies doesn't know what they are talking about. They are wonderful for couch drinking in the winter.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Grape Soda posted:

Cold leftover pizza
Cold leftover pork chops
Cold leftover taco meat

Anyone who doesn't like either of these is not a true bachelor :colbert:

e: One of my favorite quick-n-easy meals is just to fry up some shredded pork with frozen wok veggie mix (must include sliced water chestnuts, or no deal!), add some random-rear end spices and drown the whole thing in hot sauce. Usually lasts 2 days on a 1lb pack of pork, and awesome at any temperature.

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Feb 4, 2014

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

ladyweapon posted:

What kind of weirdo doesn't reheat leftovers and just eats them ice cold from the fridge? :confused:

v: not literally ice cold, but my fridge does do its job of keeping things cold.

what kind of weirdo puts left overs in the fridge. So far I have not met a food that doesnt last room temp for a day or two. I do reheat food in the microwave...sometimes.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

JEEVES420 posted:

what kind of weirdo puts left overs in the fridge. So far I have not met a food that doesnt last room temp for a day or two. I do reheat food in the microwave...sometimes.

Enjoy your inevitable food poisoning? There's no shame in using the refrigerator for its given purpose. After all, you should have a designated beer fridge so you don't need to compromise.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Nastyman posted:

Cold leftover pizza
Cold leftover pork chops
Cold leftover taco meat
Cold pizza is good, gonna disagree on pork chops, I'll meet you half way about cold taco meat. I have never met anyone who just leaves a day or two worth of leftovers on their kitchen counters. :psyduck:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Everyone who talks poo poo about snuggies doesn't know what they are talking about. They are wonderful for couch drinking in the winter.
This is the 100% truth.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
I've always left leftovers sitting out. You have to be more careful and make sure it doesn't have fish or milk in it in the summertime but its really not a big deal.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The only thing I'll leave out overnight is pizza, because leftover pizza is best at room temperature.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Most outlets in the average American home will be 15A. Some homes may have a few 20A outlets in the bathroom and/or kitchen, and if they have outlets on the outside of the house, those might be 20A as well. But most are just 15.

\

And yeah, a lot of commercial applications are typically 20A, IIRC.

It's even worse than this, 15A is the limit of the outlet. Devices are permitted to draw no more than 80% of the power of the outlet rating. A 15A device is limited to 12A, or 1,440W. I'm envious of 230V countries :(

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

LorrdErnie posted:

I've always left leftovers sitting out. You have to be more careful and make sure it doesn't have fish or milk in it in the summertime but its really not a big deal.

Anything that could spoil I just dont make extra of. In Texas AC is a must so place stays 70 degrees.

I like to throw a ton of vegetables and either strip steak or strips of chicken in a big rear end skillet with some oil and spices. Eat out of the pan and then just put the lid back on till I am hungry again and eat some more out of it at room temperature. Lasts a day or two and saves me from having to do dishes except for rinsing the pan out every couple days.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Went to the store, got a funny look from the cashier. I told her I was just picking up a few essentials before the snowstorm came through. Got a laugh out of her.

My cart:

24 rolls of toilet paper
Three cases of beer
Two packs of Oreos

Bachelor life :smug:

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Captain Trips posted:

Went to the store, got a funny look from the cashier. I told her I was just picking up a few essentials before the snowstorm came through. Got a laugh out of her.

My cart:

24 rolls of toilet paper
Three cases of beer
Two packs of Oreos

Bachelor life :smug:

Happens on a routine basis to me as well. Have a few things on a list jotted down. Often end up coming out with some form of meat, cheese, and beer combination regardless of the list. Gotta satisfy those selfish needs regardless of judgmental looks.

onemanlan has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Feb 5, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

We haven't done shopping in 2 weeks. Last Tesco trip was Magners, chicken and wine. And a chorizo sausage maybe. Living off rice/ risotto rice and stock cubes.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just lost my job, so the past two weeks have been nothing but rice, vitamins, and protein powder.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Snuggies are ok but I've got a kigurumi. It's super warm, super soft, has pockets, keeps me warm on all sides, and I can walk around in it. The best part is the look on the pizza guy's face when I answer the door.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Drink and Fight posted:

Snuggies are ok but I've got a kigurumi. It's super warm, super soft, has pockets, keeps me warm on all sides, and I can walk around in it. The best part is the look on the pizza guy's face when I answer the door.

As a 27 year old male, this looks like a tempting purchase.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Drink and Fight posted:

Haha this reminds me, I had the flu the other month and ordered a pizza, and because I was a feverish and responsible citizen I answered the door with everything but my eyes covered. I'm a big guy, so the pizza dude understandably looked ready to pull a gun on me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

A normally not at all "cutesy" friend of mine bought a chipmunk one of those and is currently blowing up FB with pictures of herself in it while all hopped up on painkillers from wisdom teeth removal.

I suspect there may be some regret at some point.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Find one of those dinosaur snuggies to fit a 6'4" 230lb man, and I will buy myself one for every day of the week.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm going to buy the penguin one.

LINUX PRYDE

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Trips posted:

How has no one commented on this yet? Holy poo poo, a few DOZEN cups a day?

Why is this so hard to believe? I probably consume 4-5 cups (as in 8 oz. per) of strong, black coffee an hour over the course of anywhere between 12-14 hours a day. Some of us have a pretty high tolerance to caffeine.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Captain Trips posted:

How has no one commented on this yet? Holy poo poo, a few DOZEN cups a day?

I drink tea instead of water, and usually low caffeine green/white tea. You build up a pretty strong tolerance.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You build up a pretty strong tolerance.

I consume between 600-800 mg of caffeine per day. It's well over the recommended daily allowance, but I've built up a serious tolerance to caffeine over the last two decades or so. It's surprising how little of an effect I feel from a single cup of coffee or an energy drink unless it's the first one of the day.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Captain Trips posted:

Find one of those dinosaur snuggies to fit a 6'4" 230lb man, and I will buy myself one for every day of the week.

As a tall man, I'd be happy with the classic red union suit (with buttflap), but I would never be opposed to rocking a dinosaur onesie.

On another note, I want to get drunk and steal one of these for a downtown festival, like Mardi Gras. I think I'd have a lot of fun. gently caress the haters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb3mFgFV_1c
I might have to practice beforehand.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I drink tea instead of water, and usually low caffeine green/white tea. You build up a pretty strong tolerance.

It's more that two dozen cups (at 2dl) is almost 5l of tea - and that's way more than I drink in a day, caffeinated or not.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Semi bachelor question, how early is too early to dishwasher / washing machine / vacuum in an apartment? I say 7AM weekdays 9AM weekends, girlfriend says 9AM any day. She also does not get my Bubb Rubb "You're supposed to be cooking breakfast for somebody, it's like an alarm clock" jokes so I may dump her.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pudgygiant posted:

Semi bachelor question, how early is too early to dishwasher / washing machine / vacuum in an apartment? I say 7AM weekdays 9AM weekends, girlfriend says 9AM any day. She also does not get my Bubb Rubb "You're supposed to be cooking breakfast for somebody, it's like an alarm clock" jokes so I may dump her.

I usually wait until 9 just to be courteous. My dishwasher has a timer on it, so I can have it start after 9 when I go to wokr in the mornings.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Pudgygiant posted:

Anytime before marriage is too early.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Pudgygiant posted:

Semi bachelor question, how early is too early to dishwasher / washing machine / vacuum in an apartment?

Confirmed bachelor Stephen Fry posted:

Look inside your pants. If you find a penis in there, it's not time.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Pudgygiant posted:

You should probably dump her. That said, would running the dishwasher/washing machine really wake her up? Get her earplugs.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

That's a Jo Brand joke.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Shannonmcn posted:

That's a Jo Brand joke.

It could be, I thought it was too, but at least on QI it was Stephen who said it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bunnielab posted:

Do electric kettles whistle? Not doing that would be a deal breaker for me.

If I'm going to be in another room where I won't be able to hear the click of the switch, I balance a spoon against it so that when it shuts off it flicks the spoon onto the floor and makes a racket. It wouldn't be too tough to expand this into a Rube Goldberg machine that ends with a whistling toy train.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

JEEVES420 posted:

Fried Rice Syndrome

Quit rolling dice every time you eat. Hasn't happened yet does not equal won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Drink and Fight posted:

I'm sorry but those things look far to similar to the "Onsie" craze sweepng the UK and I will be no part of it, Hoodie's and sweatpants if it's that cold.

Luckily my tiny studio flat is cheap to heat so it's normally boardshort's,vest's and Jimmy Buffett CD's for me.

• Locked thread