Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Thanks everyone. Suffice to say I was extremely lucky in that last game. I was boxed into a hole by extremely tight play by mike works, and with 10 or so tiles to go managed to pull the only tile that could save me, not once or twice but three times. Could easily have gone the other way, I was super lucky.

I'll be up for another tourney as well, any expansion, but would prefer no P&D, that poo poo sucks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, way to go, Kelt!

I'd be up for another, with any expansion (only one please), but I vote against crosses and remaining tiles again. When you say you don't know anyone who plays with that off, have you only ever played this on your iDevices? Because there's no handy tiles remaining guide or "this space is forever hosed" indicator on a tabletop covered in cardboard. If you want to count tiles on your own and look at the tile count guide in the rules screen, that's fine. That's how it works over the table. Having it done for you just takes one more skill piece out of the equation, and this is a tournament setting.

I also want to suggest we seed by Elo again like TACD did for this one. I'm willing to set the event up if needed.

Rules change from physical to digital all the time. At a table it isn't feasible for one player to have a hidden checklist of tiles that he marks off as he goes. In a digital version That Guy (TM) would have a significant advantage if he were the only guy keeping track with pen and paper. So no, it doesn't remove skill from the equation, it removes the ability to sperg for advantage.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The tile count and the resulting X'd out tiles are just applying publicly available game state info faster than a human can. Because it's a turn-based game the speed you figure out the game state doesn't matter. It's nothing but a time advantage, and having it turned off only benefits spergs.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

The tile count and the resulting X'd out tiles are just applying publicly available game state info faster than a human can. Because it's a turn-based game the speed you figure out the game state doesn't matter. It's nothing but a time advantage, and having it turned off only benefits spergs.

Yeeeeeeah, I'm actually coming around on this one

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Beelzebozo posted:

I'd be up for another, with any expansion (only one please), but I vote against crosses and remaining tiles again. When you say you don't know anyone who plays with that off, have you only ever played this on your iDevices? Because there's no handy tiles remaining guide or "this space is forever hosed" indicator on a tabletop covered in cardboard. If you want to count tiles on your own and look at the tile count guide in the rules screen, that's fine. That's how it works over the table. Having it done for you just takes one more skill piece out of the equation, and this is a tournament setting.

I also want to suggest we seed by Elo again like TACD did for this one. I'm willing to set the event up if needed.
I play Carc pretty much all the time so I'm down for another tournament (with whatever expansions) if somebody wants to set one up. I know that even at the start of the last one some people in GroupMe were talking about tournament fatigue after the recent Ascension and Lost Cities ones as well though.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TACD posted:

I play Carc pretty much all the time so I'm down for another tournament (with whatever expansions) if somebody wants to set one up. I know that even at the start of the last one some people in GroupMe were talking about tournament fatigue after the recent Ascension and Lost Cities ones as well though.

There was a Lost Cities tournament and I missed it? Dang.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Seems like this took long enough...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/colossal-news-tabletop-card-game-7-wonders-coming-ios-april-may/

Pocket Tactics posted:

I spoke this week with tabletop publishers Repos Productions, who have been working on an iOS edition of the popular 7 Wonders for the last couple of years. Repos tell me that they’re expecting to have 7 Wonders up in the App Store this spring — specifically in April or May.

Card drafting game 7 Wonders was a big hit when it launched in 2010, shooting to the top tier of Board Game Geek’s rankings and pulling down awards like an angry chimp in a trophy cabinet. Talk of an iOS version of the game started almost immediately.

Repos Productions might be handling the development themselves, but this isn’t their first rodeo. They’ve already created a couple of well-recieved iOS apps: a digital version of the board game Ghost Stories and a companion app for the 7 Wonders tabletop game.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Niiiiiice. 7 wonders is still one of my favorite go to games.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone still playing Hero Academy? Got into it late but I'm really enjoying it.

Ign: VirulentVirus

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There are a ton of Reiner Knizia games in the OP, and they all look pretty interesting. I already have Lost Cities and Ingenious and want to add to that.

I'm wondering which the most accessible / polished / supported game is. Tigris & Euphrates, Qin, Battleline, Samurai, and Through the Desert All look cool, roughly in that order, but I could get more than one if there are multiple standouts. I've read bad things about crashes in some of the games, as well as the AI Cheating in Qin and T/E. I primarily play offline but if I got good at one I would get online and get my butt kicked by some better players.

Any recommendations?

xian fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 18, 2014

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

xian posted:

Any recommendations?

They go on sale often, wait and buy them all :)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How does one best find when games go on sale?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

xian posted:

There are a ton of Reiner Knizia games in the OP, and they all look pretty interesting. I already have Lost Cities and Ingenious and want to add to that.

I'm wondering which the most accessible / polished / supported game is. Tigris & Euphrates, Qin, Battleline, Samurai, and Through the Desert All look cool, roughly in that order, but I could get more than one if there are multiple standouts. I've read bad things about crashes in some of the games, as well as the AI Cheating in Qin and T/E. I primarily play offline but if I got good at one I would get online and get my butt kicked by some better players.

Any recommendations?

Samurai was my personal favorite. Simple to learn but plenty of strategy, AI didn't seem to cheat, looked good, controls were fine, etc.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Fix posted:

How does one best find when games go on sale?

1. Create an account at http://appshopper.com
  2. Find games you want
  3. Add them to your wishlist
  4. Download their app to your phone
  5. Wait for it to tell you something you want is on sale

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Alternatively, put them on your wishlist in the App store and just check it every so often.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
My method:

1. Subscribe to this thread and/or the iOS games thread.
2. Wait for Bummey to tell you the game is on sale.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Alternatively, put them on your wishlist in the App store and just check it every so often.

This leaves me susceptible to impulse buying. Appshopper it is!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

xian posted:

Any recommendations?

T&E is probably his best-regarded game, and as said before, goes on sale pretty often. When I first read about it, the game seemed pretty intimidating (it's an abstract strategy game), but the tutorial on the app is REALLY good. I'd definitely recommend it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

PFlats posted:

My method:

1. Subscribe to this thread and/or the iOS games thread.
2. Wait for Bummey to tell you the game is on sale.

You'll be waiting a long time.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 19, 2014

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Bummey posted:

Translation: if I own it I'm not watching prices

Spoiler: Bummy owns them all

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Bummey posted:

Bummey I'm not sure how to go on without you! Bummey please say it ain't so!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Hey thread wake up

Shwqa posted:

:ducksiren: ascension just went free. There is no reason not to get it. :ducksiren:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ascension-chronicle-godslayer/id441838733?mt=8

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ascension is still being removed in July, right?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eegah posted:

Why?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Licensing issues and so they can put out a bullshit HTML5 web app. You'll also have to buy everything again because the new people won't be able to transfer our existing license ownership.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bummey posted:

Licensing issues and so they can put out a bullshit HTML5 web app. You'll also have to buy everything again because the new people won't be able to transfer our existing license ownership.

I will just add them to my growing blacklist of app / software developers.

Edit: I got my money's worth so ehh

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Eegah posted:

Stupid questions but
1) When they pull it from the store, do they also pull it off all your devices and
2) Do they offer you a refund?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Aren't they just removing multiplayer? That's what another thing I read said, I thought...

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Stupid questions but
1) When they pull it from the store, do they also pull it off all your devices and
2) Do they offer you a refund?

That would be a 1) no and 2) also no.
Unless it's been nuked for violating App Store terms you can still re-download it on your devices later from Purchases, though I don't know if IAP would be restorable.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

Aren't they just removing multiplayer? That's what another thing I read said, I thought...

Their servers are going down when they lose the license. The game will be pulled from the store, yes, but the loss of servers is essentially a loss of the game considering the multiplayer-focused design.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Ropes4u posted:

I will just add them to my growing blacklist of app / software developers.

Edit: I got my money's worth so ehh
Playdek isn't doing the web version. Stoneblade (the makers of the physical game) is just bringing it in-house.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Playdek is actually quite upstanding and certainly the best board game app developer on iOS, I wouldn't be too quick to blacklist them for something that is entirely out of their control. If anything, blacklist Stoneblade for what appears to be a misguided cash grab. (Unless you were talking about Stoneblade originally...)

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 5, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Playdek lost me with the anime maid panty shot game.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

parasyte posted:

That would be a 1) no and 2) also no.
Unless it's been nuked for violating App Store terms you can still re-download it on your devices later from Purchases, though I don't know if IAP would be restorable.

Not entirely the case. Developers can disable access to versions of an app for legal issues.

Anony Mouse posted:

Playdek is actually quite upstanding and certainly the best board game app developer on iOS

Bummey posted:

Playdek lost me with the anime maid panty shot game.

Yeah I gotta say that The Coding Monkeys (Carcassonne, Lost Cuties) are the best board game app makers out there. They just need to release more than 3 apps.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 6, 2014

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anony Mouse posted:

Playdek is actually quite upstanding and certainly the best board game app developer on iOS, I wouldn't be too quick to blacklist them for something that is entirely out of their control. If anything, blacklist Stoneblade for what appears to be a misguided cash grab. (Unless you were talking about Stoneblade originally...)

I redacted my original thought because I got my $5, or whatever I paid for the app, worth of wasted time.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I know this is the iOS board game thread, but seeing as how I didn't seem to get any response in the Android Games thread, this might be the next best place to ask. None of my friends have an iPhone or an iPad. Are there any good asynchronous board or strategy games that me and some friends could play on our android phones? I saw Carcassonne was also on android, but as far as I know it doesn't have the asynchronous multiplayer.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Dragonrah posted:

I know this is the iOS board game thread, but seeing as how I didn't seem to get any response in the Android Games thread, this might be the next best place to ask. None of my friends have an iPhone or an iPad. Are there any good asynchronous board or strategy games that me and some friends could play on our android phones? I saw Carcassonne was also on android, but as far as I know it doesn't have the asynchronous multiplayer.

Are you looking for cross platform between android and iOS, or just android games? Either way, Frozen Synapse would work. If you're just looking for android games, I would think http://www.pockettactics.com/ would be a good place to look, they cover all mobile platforms.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Quickpull posted:

Are you looking for cross platform between android and iOS, or just android games? Either way, Frozen Synapse would work. If you're just looking for android games, I would think http://www.pockettactics.com/ would be a good place to look, they cover all mobile platforms.

Cross platform is a possibility, but not necessary. I have an android phone. I try to convince my friends to get an iPad, but every single one seems either dead set against it or can't afford it. I even show them all the badass games we could play if they bought one, but it doesn't seem to help. So basically, I'm just looking for Android games. I'll check that site out though. Thanks.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dragonrah posted:

Cross platform is a possibility, but not necessary. I have an android phone. I try to convince my friends to get an iPad, but every single one seems either dead set against it or can't afford it. I even show them all the badass games we could play if they bought one, but it doesn't seem to help. So basically, I'm just looking for Android games. I'll check that site out though. Thanks.

So why don't you buy an iPad then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Doctor Zero posted:

So why don't you buy an iPad then?

I'm not sure if you're trolling me or if I'm being unclear. I own an iPad. None of my friends own any iOS devices. I even own most of the games in the OP, but have no one to play with. Anyway, that wasn't my question. This being a board game thread, I was hoping some posters would know of some comparable games on android on par with these iOS games. I've been Googling and haven't found anything so my hopes are not very high.

• Locked thread