Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

It's been a while since I watched through all of DS9 and TNG but I don't remember Keiko being that bad. I mean sure they fought, but isn't that normal?

That said:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Get the gently caress in

What the gently caress is this? <:mad:> Keiko is a Ravenclaw - intellectual and irritable. Christ, even the quote they used in the image is pretty much the opposite of the affable Hufflepuff type. I mean obviously I obviously agree with her (gently caress your Prophets, Wynn), but she got her back up pretty quickly in that and every other conflict she was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Keiko-antipathy largely stems from TNG, where she could be a bit mean to O'Brien. She's actually not that bad on DS9, but then, that's really the pattern for TNG characters that become regular or recurring characters on that show isn't it?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Of what we've seen, especially in TNG, it's not an easy marriage. Not necessarily a bad one, but definitely not an easy one. I don't think they had a long engagement, and that usually spells trouble for me.

How do you not know your S.O.'s preferred breakfast? Especially when you don't have to cook it. Blade's right that the difficulties make the relationship special, especially in the Star Trek universe. But still, from what you see, it's a rather antagonistic relationship, and it's not always Miles' fault.

They love each other, but man do they fight like Cardassians and Bajorans sometimes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Who wants a Terok Nor wall clock with convoluted viewing angles?

http://technabob.com/blog/2014/02/03/star-trek-deep-space-nine-clock/

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Anyone could probably do this for way cheaper than $299 with a model kit of the station and a clock of your choice. Neat idea though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gonz posted:

Wouldn't it turn into Empok Nor as soon as you hang it on a wall? :v:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Kekio isn't too bad. I agree with kelvron, but it's well within the bounds of normal.

I can think of a friend who's wife loves to 'give poo poo', as we say in Australia, which basically means to insult you and make fun of you. She gives me poo poo as well as her husband and when I got fed up with it one day it was explained that she 'gives poo poo because she likes you, she wouldn't give you poo poo if she wasn't comfortable with you'. I've encountered this more than once with Aussie women.

I don't like it and think it makes her a bit of retard, but it's just how she is. Kekio does a very benign and reserved version of this, which considering how gruff Miles can be at times, probably fits.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

Tony Montana posted:

it makes her a bit of retard

Tony Montana posted:

it's well within the bounds of normal
Uh, this makes you sound like a misogynist rear end in a top hat. Some women give poo poo, and some men give poo poo to their wives. Some people can take it, some people can't. It doesn't make Keiko a bitch, and it genuinely makes it one of the most (only) believable marriages in Trek.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You just read it that way.

I said Keiko isn't a bitch at all and she's pretty chill actually. As poo poo givers go she's really pretty meek. I don't think poo poo giving is such a great thing, and I think pretty dopey people often do it. Male or female, I don't care, if you have to pick at people to break the ice I think you're a bit poo poo yourself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How did moving to DS9 sabotage her career? I don't remember her going on away teams on the Enterprise. They couldn't set up an arboretum anywhere on that bigass space station? It's been awhile since I've seen first season DS9.

Honestly, I have no idea how it does, but it does. This is said explicitly that her career has been sidelined by his accepting the posting, so thoroughly she tries to be a schoolteacher instead because there's nothing for her to do there. And Miles does indeed make for her an arboretum in one of the cargo bays. And none of it works, so their relationship slowly becomes poisonous and he winds up hunting down a fellowship on Bajor for her, which removes her from his life for months at a time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was it sidelined by moving to DS9, or by DS9 moving away from Bajor? I can imagine the original plan was her having a job with the ecological reconstruction of Bajor but then all of a sudden Bajor is a six hour runabout drive away instead of just beaming down.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's still silly though, isn't it. You can take field trips to Bajor for a few days each month and gather samples and data and come home to the station to work on them each day and be with your family. With replication technology and data gathering abilities such as they have, you could have people anywhere in the Federation finding stuff on field trips and shooting you the info electronically that then you can work on. We do that now, a biologist can be in a University somewhere and get asked for their professional opinion on someone's project in the middle of nowhere remotely.

Perhaps the Enterprise gave her the opportunity to be the first biologist on the ground when they ran into new stuff. A bit like Dian Fossey going and living in the jungle with the gorillas because she wants to be right there and apply her abilities as the stuff happens - real time. I don't remember Kekio being on many away teams, if any, in TNG though.. she seemed to chill on the ship.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The only bit I remember about Keiko was that episode with :byodood:Molly:byodood: and the ending being them deciding to just send her back to her timeline instead of helping her adjust or something. I can't even remember that much so that must say something about her character.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Flipswitch posted:

The only bit I remember about Keiko was that episode with :byodood:Molly:byodood: and the ending being them deciding to just send her back to her timeline instead of helping her adjust or something. I can't even remember that much so that must say something about her character.

Time's Orphan was too bizarre. What the hell were Keiko and O'Brien thinking. They are the worst parents.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apple Jax posted:

Time's Orphan was too bizarre. What the hell were Keiko and O'Brien thinking. They are the worst parents.

The writers have admitted that the script kinda got away from them and kept going through different revisions and things made more ethical sense at one point and then it just morphed into the end product.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Time's Orphan, like a lot of Star Trek, wastes a perfectly good guest star in favor of having her do dumb feral poo poo on camera.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think it would have been rad as gently caress if Molly had stayed damaged for the rest of the series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Keiko is not bonkers, and it's honestly a little uncomfortable the way some people go overboard with that.

No, she really is, though. She doesn't start that way. At first she's written as a "hilarious" nag wife for the working joe transporter chief, which makes you just want to punch the writers for making a "take my wife!" joke into a character, but the way that she says "Miy-ules!" and then yells at him in just about every episode featuring them together turns into a more manipulative, bordering on abusive spouse. Everything he does that doesn't fit in with her worldview of him is worthy of angry, derisive criticism.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Bicyclops posted:

No, she really is, though. She doesn't start that way. At first she's written as a "hilarious" nag wife for the working joe transporter chief, which makes you just want to punch the writers for making a "take my wife!" joke into a character, but the way that she says "Miy-ules!" and then yells at him in just about every episode featuring them together turns into a more manipulative, bordering on abusive spouse. Everything he does that doesn't fit in with her worldview of him is worthy of angry, derisive criticism.

Keiko is really intolerable, and I hate the writers for portraying her in such a bad light. They still could have had conflict between her and Miles, without turning her into an over the top cartoon version of a annoying wife.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Well you see Miles is Irish so he has a genetic predisposition to be miserable in life in all its aspects, including marriage. As a man of Irish descent, these are issues I deal with daily.

True fact: my brother wanted to name one of his kids Miles, but his wife figured out that he was going to name him after a Star Trek character so she said no. Instead, he chose Colm. Crafty.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Keiko was pretty good when she called out Miles for being a racist bigot towards Cardassians, because you totally sided with her and she was right.

But then there's that time when, a few hours after Miles gets home from spending subjective decades in prison, she acts exasperated and annoyed that he hasn't fully adjusted to life on the station yet.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
There is a 9000% chance Kirayoshi ain't Miles's kid. "I'm home from months on Bajor and WHOOPS I'm pregnant from, uh, that one time I visited you ALSO we have to teleport the baby into Kira so if for any reason it comes out with some nose ridges that's why."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

DirtyRobot posted:

Keiko was pretty good when she called out Miles for being a racist bigot towards Cardassians, because you totally sided with her and she was right.

But then there's that time when, a few hours after Miles gets home from spending subjective decades in prison, she acts exasperated and annoyed that he hasn't fully adjusted to life on the station yet.

In the 24th century, humanity has evolved beyond the need for therapy :downs:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

1st AD posted:

In the 24th century, humanity has evolved beyond the need for therapy :downs:

I contend The federation sent their worst psychologists out to DS9.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

sonatinas posted:

Hey now, Ezri went to DS9 of her own volition :colbert:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Has anyone seen or read anything about the season 6 of TNG on Blu Ray?

I have been searching but haven't turned up anything.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

sonatinas posted:

I never saw Deanna Troi on DS9.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It turns out that Aatrek was single-handedly propping up Bluray sales and his departure from the online Trek community has tanked the entire project.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
House of Quark S3 E3.

Heh, after the great eps over the change of season this one is a bit more 'normal' Trek. Quark has married a Klingon woman who if she cut her hair and trimmed those eyebrows.. perhaps took a orbital sander to her forehead.. would be quite attractive. After the Keiko talk it's funny I've gotten this ep, this is the one where she closes the school and Miles is basically being the best husband ever while she sulks. I hope she appreciates it, he's just gotten permission from Sisko to make the arboretum in the cargo bay. We'll see..

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

1st AD posted:

It turns out that Aatrek was single-handedly propping up Bluray sales and his departure from the online Trek community has tanked the entire project.
Where is this coming from

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Tony Montana posted:

House of Quark S3 E3.

Heh, after the great eps over the change of season this one is a bit more 'normal' Trek. Quark has married a Klingon woman who if she cut her hair and trimmed those eyebrows.. perhaps took a orbital sander to her forehead.. would be quite attractive. After the Keiko talk it's funny I've gotten this ep, this is the one where she closes the school and Miles is basically being the best husband ever while she sulks. I hope she appreciates it, he's just gotten permission from Sisko to make the arboretum in the cargo bay. We'll see..

House of Quark is a fantastic episode, I love it so much

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

Yeah without slo mo montages of every effects sequence from every episode nobody knew what to buy

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I am very grateful for what you've done Quark.. which is why I'm going to allow you to take your hand off my thigh rather than shattering every bone in your body :D

ok this owns

edit: omg Nog you loving little poo poo

edit2: Klingon divorce is the best divorce. The crossing of the arms and everyone turning away from you in the Klingon council when you've been disgraced is one of the most comical things I've ever seen in Trek. loving Kaplah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ5TsoDDky4

the best part is that's it, paperwork has no honor.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 5, 2014

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just heard about it on The Economist podcast, but here is a link from NASA directly.. 3D printing food in space.

http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/home/feature_3d_food_prt.htm

What I heard about specifically was pizza, a 3D printer that made pizza. They were talking about the 3D printing 'killer app' on the podcast and how it could be food, rather than plastic and making lovely little versions of useful things.

Our people on the Mission to Mars going to the food printer/REPLICATOR and asking for pizza? Next step is harvesting those skin cells getting caught in the air system and breaking that protein down to go back into the printer's stores?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Pizza will unite the quadrant.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

sonatinas posted:

Pizza will unite the quadrant.

Pizza... and root beer.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

1st AD posted:

Ooooh, Rascals is coming out in Hi-Def. I know where my paycheck is going.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Patrick Stewart can't stay out of space:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Kingdom posted:

Patrick Stewart can't stay out of space:

*tsk* Made in Britain :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Quark has married a Klingon woman who if she cut her hair and trimmed those eyebrows.. perhaps took a orbital sander to her forehead.. would be quite attractive.

Yeah, Na'toth2 is pretty hot.

For a while, I was convinced Divatox was First Na'toth, but she wasn't. She is a slutty augment in DS9, though :v:

• Locked thread