Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

astr0man posted:

I don't understand why the server would have any affect on client side graphics junk. Do you get choke/loss on BB?

Not really. I don't notice any lag and my ping is usually around 40ms. My rates are set to 128. I guess I should be more clear and say it doesn't happen 100% of the time on BB. I've played two or three games that were completely fine, but I'd say I have the issue at least 75% of the time.

kcer posted:

Do you use -processheap in your launch options?

No. Should I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

DTaeKim posted:

The only time I used a decoy to great effect was on cs_Italy. With fifteen seconds left, I threw a smoke and a decoy in the smoke and ran away from the last CT. He spent several seconds firing at the decoy before realizing I wasn't there and lost the round.

I'll buy a decoy sometimes and throw it obviously around a corner where I know an enemy is, because most people can't tell the difference between a decoy and a flashbang mid-flight and will instinctively turn away from it while I pop out and kill them while they're turned around. It's a pretty niche usage of course but if for some reason you don't have $200 and you do have $50 it's better than nothing.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

It's a quick fix for some fps issues, so without knowing exactly what's causing it, it's worth a shot.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I ran into a bug in a competitive game last night where 2 of my team members were unable to join the game, instead seeing the background shot of 2 counterterrorists over and over and spectating from a fixed camera, watching my team lose pistol round.

Upon leaving and rejoining the game the same bug persisted, and then randomly they were able to join 3rd round. The other team also had 1 player suffer this, so it wasn't just us. Has anyone seen this bug and have any suggestions on avoiding it in the future?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dvsilverwing posted:

How does a molotov not? I usually buy both, and just drop one when the other runs out; the only way to counter a molotov is to drop a smoke on it, which would kind of be screwing your own team over when it comes down to it.

I'm not saying it can't stop or delay a rush, I'm saying a smoke is always the better alternative because the enemies straight up can't see poo poo and it's cheaper.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Fire can be useful but I never buy it because I prefer having a 2nd flash.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The best bug I've had so far is when for 3 rounds at the start of the match my view was 100ft above my character. I couldn't shoot anybody but I could tell my team where the T's were going every round :shepface:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Lemming posted:

The best bug I've had so far is when for 3 rounds at the start of the match my view was 100ft above my character. I couldn't shoot anybody but I could tell my team where the T's were going every round :shepface:
Jump.

astr0man posted:

Fire can be useful but I never buy it because I prefer having a 2nd flash.
If mollys were $500 on CT I'd probably buy them more but then they'd be OP. I usually don't buy them T because I don't have a bind set up for them.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 4, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mcvey posted:

Jump.

If mollys were $500 on CT I'd probably buy them more but then they'd be OP. I usually don't buy them T because I don't have a buy bind for them .

If that's meant to be advice on how to fix it you're making the very erroneous assumption that I'm more useful to my team as a shoot man than as a fragile security camera.

Last night I had a game where I got 2 TK's in one round :toot:

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Bloodplay it again posted:

Anyone have a solution for crazy framerate drops on BB? I feel like it might have happened on Wex, too, but I've tried dozens of other community servers (and matchmaking :v:) and it only happens when I play with goons. My game runs at ~150 FPS (fps_max 150) until I look in the direction of anyone and then it drops down to the teens. If I shoot at anyone, I'm looking at <5 FPS. If I didn't drop to single digits while actually shooting at people, I'd almost feel like I'm cheating because it happens regardless of distance to the player. It's like I'm playing with the worst wallhack.

edit: Specs, even though I think they're probably irrelevant:

i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz
Radeon 7870
240GB SSD
8 GB RAM

It's an issue that's been present for a lot of people ever since the weapon skins were released. Only way around it is to restart the client and reconnect.

It is a memory leak related to the weapon skins, which is why it occurs more often when player models appear on the screen, best thing to do to avoid it is to monitor your fps during the warmup, and if it starting chugging down when you are looking at someone, restart the client. It seems not to occur if you are joining a match/server for the first time, but after map changes...it rears it's ugly head...sometimes...

It's pretty clear after almost a year that Valve has no idea how to fix it, so best to try to avoid it.

There's no such thing as fps drops only related to goons/ButtmenBrigade, that's just your confirmation bias talking.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Everything's current. I don't think it's a common problem, but the last time I played on BB, someone else said they had the same issue. I just don't understand why it only happens on the one server, regardless of map. Occurs if I set all of the settings to low, as well.

This happened to me once last weekend. Rates and poo poo are all good. Embedded up having to just restart.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dvsilverwing posted:

How does a molotov not? I usually buy both, and just drop one when the other runs out; the only way to counter a molotov is to drop a smoke on it, which would kind of be screwing your own team over when it comes down to it.

Smoke can also SLIGHTLY hinder you. You also can't see past the smoke, and while its true someone who runs right out of smoke has an inherent disadvantage because they're blind for a bit even if their model is fully visible, if there's a rush through smoke, you are gonna see a bunch of people just pop right out. A molotov inhibits them even more if you have a good angle because if they push through it, they take damage, and they can't stop moving to shoot back at you, so they are very exposed visibly AND taking damage the more time they are in the fire.

Different strategies call for different grenade usage, but molotovs can pay off quite heavily. In no way am I saying smoke should be underestimated, no one wants to push through into the open being completely blind.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Really the best use I ever get out of decoys is on a pistol or other hectic rush round where I can throw it into a bombsite we're taking and create radar clutter.
It won't fool anybody on it's own but it's useful to create that small handicap to their gamesense

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Daeno posted:

It's an issue that's been present for a lot of people ever since the weapon skins were released. Only way around it is to restart the client and reconnect.

It is a memory leak related to the weapon skins, which is why it occurs more often when player models appear on the screen, best thing to do to avoid it is to monitor your fps during the warmup, and if it starting chugging down when you are looking at someone, restart the client. It seems not to occur if you are joining a match/server for the first time, but after map changes...it rears it's ugly head...sometimes...

It's pretty clear after almost a year that Valve has no idea how to fix it, so best to try to avoid it.

There's no such thing as fps drops only related to goons/ButtmenBrigade, that's just your confirmation bias talking.

Glad to finally read a solution. It's hard to search for a fix because I just wind up finding posts about people complaining their toasters won't play the game on max settings. I'll take a look at the task manager next time it happens to see if the program is using ridiculous amounts of memory.

On the topic of bugs, I played a MM game last night on Nuke where I managed to spawn in the abyss. Only blackness and everything I shot played the "you're shooting metal" sound effect. Even after typing kill in console, I spawned there again. Had to restart the client for some weird reason.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Glad to finally read a solution. It's hard to search for a fix because I just wind up finding posts about people complaining their toasters won't play the game on max settings. I'll take a look at the task manager next time it happens to see if the program is using ridiculous amounts of memory.

On the topic of bugs, I played a MM game last night on Nuke where I managed to spawn in the abyss. Only blackness and everything I shot played the "you're shooting metal" sound effect. Even after typing kill in console, I spawned there again. Had to restart the client for some weird reason.

Here's the best part, sometimes it isn't a memory leak, and it just drops your fps whenever you see a player/skin. :iiam:

But restarting the client is still the only way...

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I only experience the FPS lag on the goon server.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

kcer posted:

It's a quick fix for some fps issues, so without knowing exactly what's causing it, it's worth a shot.

That was before they started applying "fixes". It might not do anything now (but there's still no real fix for framedrops or memory leaks)

Apogee15 posted:

It happens to me in goonpug, mm, dm, pubs,

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Apogee15 posted:

I also have never had it happen in MM or other servers. But I also never have the smoke bug happen outside of goonpug. :iiam:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I wish Valve guys still posted here :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I only experience the FPS drop when people are shooting at me and I did not kill them.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shadowlz posted:

I also have never had it happen in MM or other servers. But I also never have the smoke bug happen outside of goonpug. :iiam:

I get odd FPS drops everywhere I play along with the smoke bug. :smith:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Awesome Welles posted:

I get odd FPS drops everywhere I play along with the smoke bug. :smith:

Same. I notice the fps drop more in goonman because I rarely ever play more then one or two mms in a row. With goonmans I might play a number in a row, and the fps drops will happen on the third or fourth map. I am pretty sure it has to do with apt tabbing out or with Chrome. I am not 100% sure though.

Chuggles
Mar 2, 2013

I have this problem whenever I spawn CT, typing "retry" into console then reconnecting works for me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Really dumb question from a newbie: How much impact does reporting actually have? Is this game like dota-likes where I can get suspended and banned for bad manners? I don't know if I should be worried at threats of being reported.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Twerk from Home posted:

Really dumb question from a newbie: How much impact does reporting actually have? Is this game like dota-likes where I can get suspended and banned for bad manners? I don't know if I should be worried at threats of being reported.

Voice chat and text are not replayed in overwatch demos. But "griefing" such as purposely blocking/damaging teammates, hiding the bomb or similar things do appear in overwatch demos.

It wouldn't be as severe as a ban for hacking would be, but yes, people reported for griefing can be suspended from matchmaking.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I always report people for text chat racial slurs because I'm amused at someone tossing out N words and then screaming at their PC when they realize they have a week long competitive cooldown or something. I don't know if it actually does anything, but there is a text abuse and voice abuse option when reporting.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Xenaero posted:

Smoke can also SLIGHTLY hinder you. You also can't see past the smoke, and while its true someone who runs right out of smoke has an inherent disadvantage because they're blind for a bit even if their model is fully visible, if there's a rush through smoke, you are gonna see a bunch of people just pop right out. A molotov inhibits them even more if you have a good angle because if they push through it, they take damage, and they can't stop moving to shoot back at you, so they are very exposed visibly AND taking damage the more time they are in the fire.

Different strategies call for different grenade usage, but molotovs can pay off quite heavily. In no way am I saying smoke should be underestimated, no one wants to push through into the open being completely blind.

I'm arguing for molotovs, not against them.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
>That feel the split second before a double kill lines itself up in your scope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Necc0 posted:

>That feel the split second before a double kill lines itself up in your scope gently caress I thought we were T

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
A bit of a noob question, but I was watching a guide about firing while moving and the author mentioned that in CSGO there's a certain window of time where you can fire while moving and suffer only a small among of accuracy penalty. I was wondering if someone can explain to me how this work? When does this grace period happens? Is it when you just start to strafe or when you stop strafing?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pedro0930 posted:

A bit of a noob question, but I was watching a guide about firing while moving and the author mentioned that in CSGO there's a certain window of time where you can fire while moving and suffer only a small among of accuracy penalty. I was wondering if someone can explain to me how this work? When does this grace period happens? Is it when you just start to strafe or when you stop strafing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mvXfnY8wU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqsSs_VJAs

watch these, p. sure the second one covers that a little.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Twerk from Home posted:

I remember one of the devs saying their typical completion time or whatever on reports was about 3 hours. So if you've been being a jerk and you're not banned after 3 hours you should be okay :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Can someone please explain to me why there are guns other than the bizon in the game, they just seem superfluous.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lemming posted:

Can someone please explain to me why there are guns other than the bizon in the game, they just seem superfluous.

Not everybody feels comfortable manipulating such phallic magazines.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I think it'd be cool to just downrank to silver forever.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Xenaero posted:

Getting to the lower silvers is hard. I tried, the lowest I got was silver II and I ended up getting banned for a week because I got kicked for throwing so many times.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Xenaero posted:

You're in luck

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Xenaero posted:

Keep at it Xen, if anyone can do it it's you :)

Lemming posted:

I remember the Bizon. It was good.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Lemming posted:

Can someone please explain to me why there are guns other than the P90 in the game, they just seem superfluous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I always report people for text chat racial slurs because I'm amused at someone tossing out N words and then screaming at their PC when they realize they have a week long competitive cooldown or something. I don't know if it actually does anything, but there is a text abuse and voice abuse option when reporting.

Alright, I'm not too worried then. This was a low silver game where I ran around with dualies and no armor, my team won 16-3, and I would reply to them accusing me of hacking or calling me a human being with "no u".

• Locked thread