Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Haha well I was gonna see the new Robocop in theaters anyway. Since I don't have the coupon, I'll just use the AMC gift card I have instead. And I'll the use that $7.50 on Amazon to buy Only God Forgives on Blu-Ray because I've been meaning to do that for a while anyway.

I figured I'd try to help you out, since I got the Robocop BD as a gift - but after emailing Amazon, they said that the movie was bought before the promotion was started, so I wouldn't be due a coupon code.

:smith: Sorry, RM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Red posted:

I figured I'd try to help you out, since I got the Robocop BD as a gift - but after emailing Amazon, they said that the movie was bought before the promotion was started, so I wouldn't be due a coupon code.

:smith: Sorry, RM.
Aw, no worries! It's all good. Thanks for trying to help! :)

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Red posted:

How often are they available on Amazon?

They're not available on Amazon first-party so the prices are always jacked up at least a little ($35+shipping, they cost $35 direct after shipping), even more so if it's not available anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

frumpsnake posted:

I have a fairly old Panasonic BD60 I modded many moons ago, still works like a champ and it wasn't too difficult for an amateur like me.

The BD60 doesn't even need a mod chip, it can be flashed with custom firmware which allows you to switch DVD/BD regions with a remote code. Also unlocks x264 playback and a few other things.

E:ah started with the 65 it seemed, not 60.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 4, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Upcoming Flicker Alley releases...

Charlie Chaplin Mutual Comedies (1916-1917) Dual Format 5-disc Steelbook (!)
Palace of Silents (2010, Iain Kennedy) - Documentary on the LA Silent Movie Theatre (Dual Format)
Mack Sennett Keystone Comedies, Volume 1 (Dual Format)
3-D Rarities (collection of vintage 3-D short films)
Seven Wonders of the World (1956) - in Cinerama (Dual Format)
Search for Paradise (1957) - in Cinerama (Dual Format)
Masterworks of American Avant-Garde Film (1920-1970)

The Mutual Comedies will be from the new 2K restorations with new music scores. The Keystone comedies are also new HD restorations. The 3-D Rarities collection will at least include a 3-D Beany & Cecil short, among others all in proper Blu-Ray 3D instead of anaglyph. The Cinerama films will be in Smilebox from new digital restorations. This is the first I've heard of the avant-garde set, but I'd expect it to be similar to the Kino collections and the Anthology Film Archive set "Unseen Cinema".

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 5, 2014

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Egbert Souse posted:

Blazing Saddles: 40th Anniversary Edition - May 6

Early word is that it's basically the same except with a new Mel Brooks featurette and DTS HDMA 5.1 instead of DD 5.1. No new transfer.
I can't be the only one who would pay for yet another dipping if they could be bothered to create a new edit of the movie with the deleted Mongo scenes integrated into it.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The BD60 doesn't even need a mod chip, it can be flashed with custom firmware which allows you to switch DVD/BD regions with a remote code. Also unlocks x264 playback and a few other things.

E:ah started with the 65 it seemed, not 60.

You don't even need a custom firmware for the BD60. Just insert the Bluray disc, and wait for the disc to load. When the player says something about wrong region, press stop. The player will return to its main screen (empty blue screen). Press '1' and 'ok'. The player will start at chapter 1 of the movie. If it says something about chapter not found, press '1' and 'ok' again, and it should work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Zoolander - June 3rd
Inside Llewyn Davis - March 11
The King of Comedy - March 25

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Zoolander - June 3rd

I hope the transfer is really really really ridiculously good looking. I love that movie.

Also, I've never seen The King of Comedy, I'll have to rectify that when it comes out.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Cheesus posted:

I can't be the only one who would pay for yet another dipping if they could be bothered to create a new edit of the movie with the deleted Mongo scenes integrated into it.

If that was a feature, sure. I don't own a copy but without anything like this, I'm just going to go get the $9.99 version I see at Best Buy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw, no worries! It's all good. Thanks for trying to help! :)

Oh, sure thing - there should be some benefits to being a goon, so I'm always up to share stuff like that when I can.

leokitty posted:

They're not available on Amazon first-party so the prices are always jacked up at least a little ($35+shipping, they cost $35 direct after shipping), even more so if it's not available anymore.

Well, if I miss the pre-sale on TT's site, I'm okay paying a slight markup. Much better than paying a huge markup for something like the Criterion of Man Who Fell to Earth now. :smith:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Red posted:

Oh, sure thing - there should be some benefits to being a goon, so I'm always up to share stuff like that when I can.

Well, if I miss the pre-sale on TT's site, I'm okay paying a slight markup. Much better than paying a huge markup for something like the Criterion of Man Who Fell to Earth now. :smith:

Anecdotal, but keep an eye out on SA Mart if you're looking for OOP criterions/other movies like that. I got a copy of MWFTE for $50 two years ago because someone randomly decided to sell it there.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Zoolander - June 3rd

Weird. I thought this was already available on blu ray. At least amazon has copies for order right now. Is the current one barebones or really bad transfer or something?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Zoolander - June 3rd
Inside Llewyn Davis - March 11
You know, when I saw Inside Llewyn Davis in theaters, I wasn't that blown away by it, but now I find myself wanting to rewatch it since it's been a few weeks since I saw it. I might pick that one up, especially if the extras are solid.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ApexAftermath posted:

Weird. I thought this was already available on blu ray. At least amazon has copies for order right now. Is the current one barebones or really bad transfer or something?

The one on Amazon is a region-free UK release.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

A movie everybody should see that most people haven't seen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caiman posted:

I did this as movie of the month a couple years back. You guys have no loving excuse.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

caiman posted:

Yeah, that movie is loving amazing. It's kinda cool going back and seeing all these movies De Niro did. He was everywhere!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lawrence of Arabia is back down to :10bux: on Amazon, I've actually never seen it so I went ahead and ordered it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Xenomrph posted:

Lawrence of Arabia is back down to :10bux: on Amazon, I've actually never seen it so I went ahead and ordered it.

Good decision that anyone in this thread that hasn't seen it should make. In terms of PQ I think it might just be my favorite Blu Ray I Own.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

Excellent. Jumped on it this time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Personperson14 posted:

Good decision that anyone in this thread that hasn't seen it should make. In terms of PQ I think it might just be my favorite Blu Ray I Own.
The review for it on blu-ray.com couldn't stop raving about how it's one of the best blurays ever made in their opinion, and it's been on my to-watch list for forever, so for $10 I figured it was worth taking the plunge.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Xenomrph posted:

The review for it on blu-ray.com couldn't stop raving about how it's one of the best blurays ever made in their opinion, and it's been on my to-watch list for forever, so for $10 I figured it was worth taking the plunge.

You're in for a real treat. Not only does it look mindblowing but it's one of those rare movies that flies by despite the run time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

Sit on the floor near the TV, you need it to fill your field of vision for some of the breathtaking scenes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 7, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Anyone have the boxset of it? Is the Scorsese interview good?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Anyone have the boxset of it? Is the Scorsese interview good?

I don't know if it's the same interview, but when I went to see the restoration in theaters around when the disc was released, they played it before the movie (that I was there to see for the first time). Scorsese goes ahead and talks about all the best parts and the interview cuts to clips of just those shots, which kind of took away from the impact of seeing those very shots in the movie immediately following it.

I guess I'd say the interview was strange when presented like that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Goddamn, this might be the thing that finally makes me go region-free.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
I REALLY REALLY hope Shout! Factory releases a boxset of all the Herzog they've acquired the rights for. And what the heck, no Signs of Life in that set?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still need to get that region free release for Aladdin since it not looking to be out in the US for another year due to the Platinum lineup for the year already being announced. Anyone ever buy that UK release to see how the quality was on it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Goddamn, this might be the thing that finally makes me go region-free.

Whoa, sweet.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

The bluray/DVD of Short Term 12, that just released on Tuesday, is on amazon.ca for $12.99 right now - if only The Spectacular Now was at the same price to buy them together!

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 8, 2014

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Rirse posted:

Still need to get that region free release for Aladdin since it not looking to be out in the US for another year due to the Platinum lineup for the year already being announced. Anyone ever buy that UK release to see how the quality was on it?

Region B transfer is good and I've no doubt it'll be the same transfer they use for the US if they ever release it there.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Can anyone elaborate on the Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day anime series? There's a new movie based off the series that's now released theatrically in Canada & US, and it caught my eye being that it's not something you see every day shown on the big screen.
From what I've read, it's not smart to see the movie before watching the TV series first. Is this worth picking up?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone heard anything as to the quality of the Blu-Ray release of Jungle Book yet? I love the movie but Disney's last few releases scares me a little.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Squallege posted:

Has anyone heard anything as to the quality of the Blu-Ray release of Jungle Book yet? I love the movie but Disney's last few releases scares me a little.

Nothing on Blu-Ray.com yet, but it is a Diamond release, which are usually the ones they actually take their time with.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVDTalk has screencaps:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62557/jungle-book-the/

While they're not full resolution, it's clear we're not dealing with another Sword in the Stone or Mickey's Christmas Carol. Even framed at 1.75:1, which is exactly how it was released in 1967.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see it's looking good. I might buy two copies just so I can send one to my nephew to enjoy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

friendo55 posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day anime series? There's a new movie based off the series that's now released theatrically in Canada & US, and it caught my eye being that it's not something you see every day shown on the big screen.
From what I've read, it's not smart to see the movie before watching the TV series first. Is this worth picking up?

I actually can't answer your question, but wanted to let you know there is a bluray thread in ADTRW that you could ask in. I'd bet someone there can assist: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3370508

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Rirse posted:

Looks like you asked the same question earlier in this thread and I answered you:

Zat posted:

Rirse posted:

I mentioned it last page but never got a response, but how is the EU Blu-ray for Aladdin? I was going to wait on importing, but it starting to look very likely it won't be out in the US until 2015, which his due to the fact it listed as a Diamond title and the next two entries are Jungle Book and Sleeping Beauty.
I happened to watch this today. Absolutely no problems as far as I could see; a great release, audiovisually. The menu background is like a terrible Aladdin fan art though.

And what I meant by the menu background is this:

click for bigger

But the point is it's a great blu-ray release nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Kino is having a sale on all their Russian stuff. It has gone from insanely priced to slightly less insanely priced. I might just drop 10 bucks for Dersu Uzala because who knows when we'll get a bluray of it.

• Locked thread