Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A ticket came in!

No screenshots, no error message, not even the names of the reports they're trying to access.

FIX IT!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
A Resignation Came In Today....

It was my own. I haven't shared many of my stories but most of them would just be rehashes of all the bullshit it seems like we as techs deal with on a daily basis. Was in the ER over the weekend with a panic attack after being berated by the director of my department on a conference call for 1.5 hours.

The reason for the 'disciplinary action' was that a co-worker patched all our exchange boxes in the middle of the day and said that i told him to do it. He had no proof or email chain, just simply said i told him to do it.

Got a job makin pizzas for now ,and it'll pay the bills and might even be a nice reprieve from office life.

So anyone in the midwest have any bones they wanna throw my way I've got a neat little resume.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Loose Ifer posted:

It was my own. I haven't shared many of my stories but most of them would just be rehashes of all the bullshit it seems like we as techs deal with on a daily basis. Was in the ER over the weekend with a panic attack after being berated by the director of my department on a conference call for 1.5 hours.

The reason for the 'disciplinary action' was that a co-worker patched all our exchange boxes in the middle of the day and said that i told him to do it. He had no proof or email chain, just simply said i told him to do it.

Got a job makin pizzas for now ,and it'll pay the bills and might even be a nice reprieve from office life.

So anyone in the midwest have any bones they wanna throw my way I've got a neat little resume.

My job (I think) is looking for a windows server 2012 admin and also Hyper-V capable people, if you've got experience in either of those and don't mind moving/live near here already (not going to say exactly... but it's outside chicago) I can try to help you out.

Also, sorry to hear that, sounds like a poo poo situation, but at least you recognized it and got out for your own health/sanity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Six years of Windows Server 2012 admin experience!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Loose Ifer posted:

Where in the Midwest?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

Six years of Windows Server 2012 admin experience!

LOL we are an MSP I would hope that my higher ups would have better postings than that! Unless you are one of the goons I work with loving around... :tinfoil:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shouldn't have resigned. Instead you should have berated the director back and then seen how long it took them to fire you while you didn't give a gently caress and continued to do your normal duties competently.

Thats just my opinion, whatever you do Just get happy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MF_James posted:

LOL we are an MSP I would hope that my higher ups would have better postings than that! Unless you are one of the goons I work with loving around... :tinfoil:

Na, Madison WI here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KoRMaK posted:

Shouldn't have resigned. Instead you should have berated the director back and then seen how long it took them to fire you while you didn't give a gently caress and continued to do your normal duties competently.

Thats just my opinion, whatever you do Just get happy.

If you're likely to have a panic attack just confronting the idea of going back in to work then it's probably best to resign.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Caged posted:

If you're likely to have a panic attack just confronting the idea of going back in to work then it's probably best to resign.

You may be able to claim disability if you get your doctor to sign off on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I meant vs the idea of going in to wind people up. But you're right, doctors are there for this sort of poo poo too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
While I am a huge cheerleader for people not being doormats and telling clients, coworkers or bosses to gently caress off if you're having panic attacks the best course of action is just to not bother and gtfo as soon as humanly possible

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

While I am a huge cheerleader for people not being doormats and telling clients, coworkers or bosses to gently caress off if you're having panic attacks the best course of action is just to not bother and gtfo as soon as humanly possible

It's all about taking care of yourself because in this industry it seems unlikely that anybody else will. Sometimes that requires you pushing back at clients, sometimes that requires getting the hell out. No job is worth either your health or your self-respect.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hackbunny posted:

Our new QA guy talks and writes like an overexcited puppy. One day I'll make him read Q.A. Confidential

fake edit: WHAT IF I'M GAY

What the hell did I just spend the last half hour reading :psyduck:

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Loose Ifer posted:

I don't have any assistance to offer but I just wanted to chime in with a good for you for having the courage to leave a lovely situation. To be honest one of my favourite jobs was working as a delivery driver for a pizza chain so it will probably be a nice break for you as you mentioned.

Hope you get back to what you want to do soon.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

hihifellow posted:

Some days I look at the two big red buttons we have in our data center (main breaker and fire system discharge) and I get this sort of nervous paranoia that says "one of these would be the end of you, and the other will fill the room with oxygen destroying gas" and I suddenly don't really want to be in there anymore.

Why are we hard-wired to want to push big red buttons :sigh:

In our last building, we had a big red button to open the doors from the inside to get out, if the magnetic locks didnt automatically disengage.

We also had a big red button on the outside to let you into the building if there was a fire. Guess what happened. Constantly?

(Let's not get into the poor design of this. It was awful. Basically, the elevators would take you up into a small area with no stairs to escape in case of a fire... so you needed an emergency button to get "into" the work area in case of a fire so you could get "out" again through the stairs.)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Loose Ifer posted:

Was this the same job as:

Loose Ifer posted:

:aaa: - User
:clint: - Me

:aaa: Hey i can't log into this computer in the conference room and we have a big meeting in here in 5 minutes and everyone is sitting here waiting for me to log in and i keep getting this error that says there no logon servers availble
:clint: Can you check if there's network connectivity?
:aaa: I don't know what that is, come over and fix it 'click'.\
:clint: *walks to conference room* (It's actually an office with 6 people crammed into it with only one network jack)

As i enter the room, i can already see someone has removed the cat5 from the PC and plugged it in their laptop.

:clint: So you know that laptops have wireless so they don't need to be plugged in right?
:aaa: Yeah but this is faster!!!
:clint: Well that needs to be plugged into the desktop computer for it to get a network connection
:aaa: YOU JUST TOLD ME THEY ALL HAVE WIRELESS ENABLED LOL DO YOU EVEN KNOW YOUR JOB

I just shrugged and said 'guess not, you go ahead' and walked out. They're still calling my desk but i'm too busy writing this, and an email to HR. We'll see if our HR department has any balls or not.

If so, it was probably overdue

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

If you know Macs I'm aware of an opening you may want to take a look at. Send a PM if you can, or let me know a way to reach you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A ticket came in!

No screenshots, no error message, not even the names of the reports they're trying to access.

The "majic" reports, duh.

Your user is obviously a Djinn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Capture the user in a ring and sell the ring on ebay.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Source Element pointed me to this thread. Didn't know it existed!

I get a lot of support tickets from our Moscow office, and some IT dude over there occasionally opens tickets with me. Rather than attaching an error log or a copy-paste of the terminal, he sends pictures. Not screenshots. Pictures. As in using a very bad camera phone at some weird janky angle (ie: super high/low and up close). Half of them are basically impossible to read. Given that this guy is entrusted with numerous IT duties in the office, I find it weird he'd do this sorta stuff. If he was some 60 year old dude with no computer experience? Sure. But that's not the case.

This morning, I got a ticket and it has a photo which is completely impossible to read. No amount of zooming can help me decipher it. The only description aside from pic is "when parallel job crushes". Not sure why, but they always write crash as crush; I think it's charming :v: I know what he means in the error, but there are dozens of things that could be going wrong. One phrase doesn't help.

I respond saying that I just can't read the picture, and his problem is WAY too broad; it's impossible for me to make use of the photo and would like a screenshot instead. Within a few minutes, he responds! Rather odd, considering the time-zone differences in-play.

His response?

"what is screnshut"

:suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wonder if he is expertly trolling you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Geop posted:

Source Element pointed me to this thread. Didn't know it existed!

I get a lot of support tickets from our Moscow office, and some IT dude over there occasionally opens tickets with me. Rather than attaching an error log or a copy-paste of the terminal, he sends pictures. Not screenshots. Pictures. As in using a very bad camera phone at some weird janky angle (ie: super high/low and up close). Half of them are basically impossible to read. Given that this guy is entrusted with numerous IT duties in the office, I find it weird he'd do this sorta stuff. If he was some 60 year old dude with no computer experience? Sure. But that's not the case.

This morning, I got a ticket and it has a photo which is completely impossible to read. No amount of zooming can help me decipher it. The only description aside from pic is "when parallel job crushes". Not sure why, but they always write crash as crush; I think it's charming :v: I know what he means in the error, but there are dozens of things that could be going wrong. One phrase doesn't help.

I respond saying that I just can't read the picture, and his problem is WAY too broad; it's impossible for me to make use of the photo and would like a screenshot instead. Within a few minutes, he responds! Rather odd, considering the time-zone differences in-play.

His response?

"what is screnshut"

:suicide:

I work with a Russian guy. He is awesome but he has the same sort of spelling ticks. Shall is always spelled shell. Launch is spelled lunch. And so on.

I do our technical documentation, including proofreading and approval of new knowledgebase articles, so I always have to fix those things.

I find it sort of charming too, and don't have the heart to tell the guy that 'shall launch' and 'shell lunch' are completely different.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's because they use a completely different alphabet there and the phonemes don't match up.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I hate excel. Hunted a bug where a certain (bigint) number could not be found in the database. Turned out the User opened the csv file in Excel and looked for the wrong numbers, because Excel turned the last digits into zeros. I want to be mad at the user for wasting our time but .csv automatically opens with Excel and how should the user expect that Excel ignores the data in the file and just displays whatever the gently caress it chooses?

By now I almost always assume that it is an excel problem when a user reports an error with a data import. Yes, let's turn all those perfectly valid dates into the internal Excel number representing that date because I am sure all other programs understand the Excel format!

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

BabyFur Denny posted:

By now I almost always assume that it is an excel problem when a user reports an error with a data import. Yes, let's turn all those perfectly valid dates into the internal Excel number representing that date because I am sure all other programs understand the Excel format!

Not exactly an IT guy, but I had to chime in here to say gently caress Excel for the way it zeroes out the last digit of a long number. I work with power companies and when people want to switch their supplier, they need to give them their meter number - which is 16 digits, all numbers, in the worst and not uncommon case. If that number goes through Excel at any point (which it will) and the guy doing so isn't on the ball and knows to format it as a string, you end up with the last digit set to zero. Ideally, that's a whole 'nother electricity meter at the same address. I get to clean that poo poo up every day.

Why is this even the default behavior? If I put a number with that many digits into a spreadsheet, wouldn't it make sense to assume that this is the precision I want? On the flipside, if it does have to round, why leave the first fifteen digits alone and only zero out the last one? If it at least rounded off multiple digits, it would be easier to spot the error. It just boggles my mind.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Excel follows the IEEE 754 specification on how to store and calculate floating-point numbers. Excel therefore stores only 15 significant digits in a number, and changes digits after the fifteenth place to zeroes.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

That's due to double-precision limitation, right?

As a work-around, would you be able to change the cell formatting from numbers to something alphanumeric? I mean, if it's a serial number, you might not really need the quirks that come with regular cells (which do math).

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Where in the Midwest?

I live downtown Milwaukee, WI. Might be moving a west, towards Madison if i can't find anything out this way. You guys can PM me or email me kylepantss@gmail.com so we don't poo poo up the thread with my cries of unemployment.

But yeah, i'd been trying to step up to the higher ups here, but it's like talking to a wall most of the time. HR doesn't fight for either side, just really makes sure no laws are broken. Other than that, i don't think they give much of a gently caress.

They haven't talked to me about training anyone on any of the stuff i know, and as much as it sucks for the guy who will have to replace me, I'm probably going to delete all of the documentation I've made over the past 3 years, because they've never given me a KB to put it all into, after about 10 requests to the SP team to spin me up a page.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Okay, so it's not that it drops the last place. It's that it (well, the IEEE spec it's based on) specifically exists to gently caress with me. Good to know.

And yeah, I can just format the serial number as a string, I learned about that pretty quick. The issue is with other people who don't know about it pasting those serial numbers into Excel and then using them from there. The entire process of supplier change in Germany is highly automated, so the good outcome is immediate failure, but the real headache is when it goes through, i.e. finding those little bastards when the customer finally notices his bill doesn't line up with how much power he's using, which can take a year...or two. I've seen that poo poo go back literally a decade across six different suppliers, guess how much fun it is to call them all and figure out how to fix it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Loose Ifer posted:

gently caress yeah! Good for you!

Any job that sends you to the ER is a lovely job that must be left ASAP.

Sure, there were other ways you could have handled getting lambasted by the director on a conference call that would have saved you this job, but gently caress that. The job wasn't worth it and there will always be others.

Like a manager of mine one said, "These things have a way of working themselves out."

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Excel straight up destroying my data is getting really old.
I frequently deal with data from a database in the form of strings like '5-11', '5-12', '5-13' etc.
Dammit Excel, those are strings, not dates!

Wouldn't mind too much if it only presented them as dates, but nooo.
Paste '5-11' in a default cell and excel changes it to '5.nov' (I'm in Europe) what excel actually stores is the int representing the number of days from 01.01.1900 untill nov 5th this year, i.e what you get when you change the formatting to text is '41948'.

Thanks excel. Didn't want that data anyway. :argh:

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013

Loose Ifer posted:

They haven't talked to me about training anyone on any of the stuff i know, and as much as it sucks for the guy who will have to replace me, I'm probably going to delete all of the documentation I've made over the past 3...
I kinda became this guy but it's worked out for the best. My old boss DBAN'd the DC and I've recreated nearly everything at this point. I'm in the "good for you" camp. Best of wishes for you.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Gatac posted:

Okay, so it's not that it drops the last place. It's that it (well, the IEEE spec it's based on) specifically exists to gently caress with me. Good to know.
It's still mostly Excel screwing with you. Even ignoring the bad decision of converting when input, double precision floats can handle all the 16 digit numbers that don't start with a 9. Excel only pretends they can't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Excel is a useful and versatile tool about 70% of the time, and a psychopath that hates you personally about 30% of the time.

The insistence in business on using it for goddamn everything (it's a database! It's a presentation tool! It's an ice-cream maker!) doesn't really help, either.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

docbeard posted:

Excel is a useful and versatile tool about 70% of the time, and a psychopath that hates you personally about 30% of the time.

The insistence in business on using it for goddamn everything (it's a database! It's a presentation tool! It's an ice-cream maker!) doesn't really help, either.

Don't forget using it as a Gantt chart. Updating someone's bastard Excel Gantt chart with a new task or adjusting deadlines of dependencies is a private little joy of mine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

docbeard posted:

Don't forget a data transfer format! I'd say half of my headaches at work stem from the hundreds of various excel-to-csv or vice versa scripts written by half a dozen different people for different purposes, all obviously specialised for their specific data flow.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Don't forget using it as a Gantt chart. Updating someone's bastard Excel Gantt chart with a new task or adjusting deadlines of dependencies is a private little joy of mine.

This actually gives me the chills :smith:

In other news, a termination came in... With an offer to sign back on as a 'project employee' with a time-limited contract. Not even sure about the legalities of that in the communist paradise that is Norway...

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

I'm probably going to delete all of the documentation I've made over the past 3 years, because they've never given me a KB to put it all into, after about 10 requests to the SP team to spin me up a page.

Please don't do this. If your old employer are as bad as you say, they could come after you. Besides, leaving them with a hunk of random information with no organization is so much better. Or let them delete it when they reimage your machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Please don't do this. If your old employer are as bad as you say, they could come after you. Besides, leaving them with a hunk of random information with no organization is so much better. Or let them delete it when they reimage your machine.

Don't delete it - that would possibly implicate you (no plausible deny-ability).

File it. File it deep. File it away somewhere no one will ever find it, and is likely to be deleted before anyone looks.

It's a PITA not to have e.g. your predecessor's docs, but the reason we don't is that our employers/managers are dicks. Once they stop being dicks, people will leave useful docs.

• Locked thread