Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Lufia posted:

Pretty sure you can't screw yourself out of genomes. Those two bosses respawn, and for the early game ones, they appear again in the bonus dungeon.

Yeah, I know they respawn, but I'm pretty sure you can only still fight them a set number of times so it's theoretically possible that you'd end up killing them all without learning the skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Phone posted:

Is there a fake internet StreetPass functionality? It seems to be fairly important to have StreetPasses to actually build the village, but if I can't get dudes from the tubes because StreetPass in America is broken, I think I won't buy this game. :/

Yes there is, you can get ~4 villagers a day as long as you have a working wifi connection. Unless you're playing 24/7 this is easily enough to keep pace with story progression - in fact, having too many villagers early on will give some quite overpowered equipment which might make things a little too easy anyhow.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Is village restoration rate not capped by story progression? I mean I was just assuming it was this whole time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Is village restoration rate not capped by story progression? I mean I was just assuming it was this whole time.

No, you can get endgame equip in chapter 1. Provided you have the cash of course.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spoiler: you can't afford it in chapter 1 and there's not many pieces of it that are really end game gear.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

To be honest, maxing the Accessory-Shop as soon as possible is probably the smartest thing to do, it helps with the copious amounts of Jobleveling. I don't get why the gently caress the JP Requirements jump like that, though. It's not even like the Final Abilities are all that gamebreaking, especially since Ninja is amazingly broken at Joblevel 5, pretty much.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Phone posted:

Is there a fake internet StreetPass functionality? It seems to be fairly important to have StreetPasses to actually build the village, but if I can't get dudes from the tubes because StreetPass in America is broken, I think I won't buy this game. :/
You don't need Streetpass, you can get villagers from people on your friends list or via SpotPass. And seriously, it's not a reason to not buy the game. You can carry over 3 villagers from the demo, and even with just those 3 it'll just take a while to rebuild some stuff. Just leave the game running in sleep mode overnight.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 4, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can actually carry over 20 from the demo if you used that exploit.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

fezball posted:

At least in the EU version (which I would assume to be what the US is getting as well) it was changed to being a reward for beating a certain boss fight, all that hard mode gets you is bragging rights.

Which boss fight is that? We are talking about Agnès's Bravo Bikini, right?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

cap601 posted:

Which boss fight is that? We are talking about Agnès's Bravo Bikini, right?

Oh, that was supposed to be for Agnes? In that case I might have mixed something up there - you do get it for Edea on one of the Red Mage re-fights regardless of difficulty, and the vestal garb for Agnes when beating the game. I didn't know about an Agnes version of the Bikini.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Jesus christ the Mephilia fight is completely brutal. I've been destroying basically everything to this point since I got swordsage, but what the hell do you do against attacks that oneshot members of your party.

Edit: I figured it out

So she performs her helldeath summon every third turn. So you just default every third turn to deal with that. When she summons her adds, you can kill the one vulnerable to lightning and then have your black mage mash sleep on the other to keep it from moving, that handily prevents her from summoning more guards and limits her to (admittedly painful) autoattacks. Pissed she only gave a fairy wing on theft.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 4, 2014

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't finished the demo and with the game releasing on Friday I don't know if I'll have time. I've cleared the demo up to the point of cheesing the population of Norende up to 20, and I've finished rebuilding the town. Are the remaining bonuses worth getting to import to the full game?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't finished the demo and with the game releasing on Friday I don't know if I'll have time. I've cleared the demo up to the point of cheesing the population of Norende up to 20, and I've finished rebuilding the town. Are the remaining bonuses worth getting to import to the full game?

Getting the village done is the hardest part, so you can probably get all the rest with little hassle now. They're not especially worth it, but they help. I'd say yes, do it if you want to play Hard. Don't if you aren't and don't feel like playing the demo further.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

finally got a delivery estimate from Amazon. Feb. 13th for locker delivery.

For the "secret" ending, do I have to be on Hard mode for the entire game?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I don't think any ending is affected by the difficulty setting

Edit: hard does unlock a costume or two

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 4, 2014

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Does Nintendo have a logical reason for not releasing games on Tuesdays like every other publisher? :argh:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Does Nintendo have a logical reason for not releasing games on Tuesdays like every other publisher? :argh:

I don't know but I like Friday releases. I can pick games up after work and play the rest of the evening and as late into the night as I like. Then wake up Saturday morning and keep going. I've hated Tuesday releases forever.

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010
Bare this in mind, really wish I knew before I finished the game.

One of the Thief abilities is 'Rob Blind' which you get at level 11. This ability states 'Steal two items instead of one when stealing'. I assumed this meant that you would steal BOTH the drops from enemies/bosses with multiple drops... Which is wrong. It means whatever you steal you steal 2x the amount.

So, when stealing from bosses for awesome weapons/accessory's (Herme's Shoes, for example) make sure you equip this ability to get multiples of whatever you steal (twice for bosses, i.e 2x Herme's Shoes and 2x Wizard Rod...)

If this was already common knowledge, then I'm an idiot.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

AnotherGamer posted:

Yeah, I know they respawn, but I'm pretty sure you can only still fight them a set number of times so it's theoretically possible that you'd end up killing them all without learning the skill.
Hmm... I thought you could redo the chapter 8 boss gauntlet as many times as you wanted by talking to Braev. And the crystal bosses definitely re-spawn if you save after you finish the game.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Sooo, has anyone else in BC, Canada get a shipping notification and scheduled delivery for like, today?

edit: Literally just arrived. Thanks bestbuy, you da bomb.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 4, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yes Man Kablam posted:

One of the Thief abilities is 'Rob Blind' which you get at level 11. This ability states 'Steal two items instead of one when stealing'. I assumed this meant that you would steal BOTH the drops from enemies/bosses with multiple drops... Which is wrong. It means whatever you steal you steal 2x the amount.

So, when stealing from bosses for awesome weapons/accessory's (Herme's Shoes, for example) make sure you equip this ability to get multiples of whatever you steal (twice for bosses, i.e 2x Herme's Shoes and 2x Wizard Rod...)

Hahaha this makes no sense at all, I love it.

"I'm so good at being a thief that not only can I steal someone's possessions, I can take more than what they actually have :smug:"

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Lufia posted:

Hmm... I thought you could redo the chapter 8 boss gauntlet as many times as you wanted by talking to Braev. And the crystal bosses definitely re-spawn if you save after you finish the game.

Well, you can, but I haven't checked if DeRosso is one of the guys you can fight again.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

Sooo, has anyone else in BC, Canada get a shipping notification and scheduled delivery for like, today?

edit: Literally just arrived. Thanks bestbuy, you da bomb.

drat you Canada! :argh:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Eddain posted:

drat you Canada! :argh:

Must be a BC thing because I don't know anyone who has it early here in Ontario yet anyway.

Anyway is there going to be an e-shop version of the full retail game? I know the demo is out there but I cannot seem to find any concrete evidence on an E-shop retail version. Also if it is coming out, roughly how many blocks?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Evil Canadian posted:

Must be a BC thing because I don't know anyone who has it early here in Ontario yet anyway.

Anyway is there going to be an e-shop version of the full retail game? I know the demo is out there but I cannot seem to find any concrete evidence on an E-shop retail version. Also if it is coming out, roughly how many blocks?

I believe there will be and it's something ridiculous like 25000 blocks.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

dreffen posted:

I believe there will be and it's something ridiculous like 25000 blocks.

Jeez, is that just the European version then, or is that also confirmed for NA? I know sometimes the euro versions of games are quite a bit larger to account for multiple language tracks(is there even multiple language tracks in Bravely default?).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Evil Canadian posted:

Jeez, is that just the European version then, or is that also confirmed for NA? I know sometimes the euro versions of games are quite a bit larger to account for multiple language tracks(is there even multiple language tracks in Bravely default?).

English/Japanese voices only. There is a LOT of voice acting though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah, everything comes out on the eShop. Also:

Terper posted:

So, uh.

This game is pretty big. :psyduck: (source)

Here's a comparison to other games.

It's over 3GB.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am for sure going to buy the cartridge version of Bravely Default. Between it being the biggest 3DS game to date, and eshop turning into a piece of poo poo that Nintendo won't fix, it just isn't worth it to buy digital games for 3DS.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I am for sure going to buy the cartridge version of Bravely Default. Between it being the biggest 3DS game to date, and eshop turning into a piece of poo poo that Nintendo won't fix, it just isn't worth it to buy digital games for 3DS.

This, I'm pretty sure that would take a week to download on their lovely system.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
what the

What exactly is wrong with the eShop?
Also, download speeds have basically never bern an issue in my experience and from what I've heard from others.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dunban posted:

what the

Also, download speeds have basically never bern an issue in my experience and from what I've heard from others.
If you're the kind of person who loses $200+ worth devices on a regular basis, after you replace it you might need to phone Nintendo to get your previous purchases back.

Also sometimes their servers get hammered and can't handle the number of people connecting, something which has never happened anywhere else in the history of the Internet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dunban posted:

what the

The download speeds are fine, when the downloads can actually happen. They stop constantly and you have to go through a long process to start them again. Just getting into the eshop lately has been terrible, it takes me a couple tries. It use to never do this too when I first got my 3DS. Ever since Pokemon X&Y came out though, the eshop has been terrible. It got even worst when that online service for Pokemon came out.

I bought SMTIV a week ago and it took me 20 attempts to download it. I counted. That's when I said gently caress this and will only buy cartridges for now on.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 5, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The download speeds are fine, when the downloads can actually happen. They stop constantly and you have to go through a long process to start them again. Just getting into the eshop lately has been terrible, it takes me a couple tries. It use to never do this too when I first got my 3DS. Ever since Pokemon X&Y came out though, the eshop has been terrible. It got even worst when that online service for Pokemon came out.
Aside from problems relating to Pokemon Bank around Christmas, I don't think anyone else is having any issues with it. I don't think you can blame the eShop.

Yeah, they hosed up with releasing Pokemon Bank at Christmas, and a few things relating to NNIDs, but it all got fixed within a day or two.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Aside from problems relating to Pokemon Bank around Christmas, I don't think anyone else is having any issues with it. I don't think you can blame the eShop.

Yeah, they hosed up with releasing Pokemon Bank at Christmas, and a few things relating to NNIDs, but it all got fixed within a day or two.

I don't have connection issues with any other devices I own, so its eshop for sure.

Nintendo isn't ready for digital distribution, that's okay, i'm really not surprised they are still stuck in the early 90s. I can just buy the cartridge for Bravely Default, like a smart person, and be happy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I don't have connection issues with any other devices I own, so its eshop for sure.
Hmmmmm ok then smart person!!!

The eShop has loads of problems, but people really blow it out of proportion.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It's your fault for choosing download now and not download later and then leaving the 3DS in sleep mode. That way it picks up downloading again if it loses the connection.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dunban posted:

what the

I thought the eshop was great until I tried to buy something over the holiday and it rejected my card and held the amount up at my bank for a week. Now instead of just being able to get stuff as soon as it comes out I'm kinda weary of having them charge my card.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This is pretty funny you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JyGhbsPp4

EDIT: Default isn't very funny

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is pretty funny you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JyGhbsPp4

EDIT: Default isn't very funny

Man, if there was any doubt left about it, this goes beyond proving that Nintendo are poo poo at actually advertising products they want to sell.

• Locked thread