Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

GrizzlyCow posted:

[H] reviews the Mantle preview and actually includes frame time data.

Mantle is a boon for those who have weak processors and who game at 1080p or lower. Most of AMD's big numbers came from pairing a relatively weak processor with a strong graphics card and using Mantle to relieve the load on the weak processor, achieving big gains.

Anyway, Mantle is in its infancy. Both the API and the drivers they are attached are in beta, and BF4 implementation probably isn't that great either. Once they mature some more, I'm sure Mantle will be a viable alternative to DirectX 11. It's still not there yet. Look at that [H] link. I do believe [H] are the first ones who actually plotted the frame latency numbers, and they paint an interesting picture. While, Mantle is smoother overall, it has some infrequent big spikes that disrupt gameplay. Hopefully that can be ironed out in the near future.

20fps difference between dx and mantle at 1080p with lower frame latencies on a i73770k @4.8GHZ? Pretty impressive to me. But then again I don't give a gently caress about brand loyalty.

Also laughing at Agreeds autistic breakdown in this thread :lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

iuvian posted:

20fps difference between dx and mantle at 1080p with lower frame latencies on a i73770k @4.8GHZ? Pretty impressive to me. But then again I don't give a gently caress about brand loyalty.

Also laughing at Agreeds autistic breakdown in this thread :lol:

You okay buddy? This is a nice place to chill out and talk about graphics cards, get your nerd on, kick up your feet. I don't think you're doing any of those things :( (well your feet might be up idk about your feet)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
^^^ I was just about to say to take a look at his rap sheet and ignore him, but it seems that a mod's already taken care of it. :respek:

veedubfreak posted:

For those of you having the black screen issue, have you tried putting a 290x bios on the card? All my cards have an unlocked bios from day1 and I have never had this issue. Perhaps the 290x bios gives more power to the memory along with the gpu.

Yeah, I'm running the Asus 290X bios (my card was among the lucky ones that unlocked). I tried increasing the power limit by 10%, which seemed to do the trick in Borderlands 2 (for now), but Unigine Heaven produced black screens. Now at 25%, Unigine has run 3 passes without an issue. I won't know for sure for a day or two, but things seem to be looking up.

Thanks for the suggestion, Stanley!

Straker posted:

Any way to check without taking off the cooler? I remember using that one utility to check if my 290s were unlockable but forget its name or if it gave any hints as to RAM manufacturer. I think I posted in this thread but I was getting some pretty loving infuriating bluescreens, driver problems etc. myself, but those have all cleared up for whatever reason. I'd reboot half a dozen times and get things working with new drivers, then BSOD for a seemingly unrelated (but obviously actually related) reason. I ended up taking out my ATI TV tuner and making one or two other small hardware changes that I can't remember, and still had the BSODs, and then they magically went away. Might have also been nudged along by a flaky hard drive that I think has caused just a small handful of BSODs over the past month or two.

That'll have everything you need. Just run "MemoryInfo.exe" within the "Hawaiinfo12" folder.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 3, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostpilot posted:

^^^ I was just about to say to take a look at his rap sheet and ignore him, but it seems that a mod's already taken care of it. :respek:

Yeah, I'm running the Asus 290X bios (my card was among the lucky ones that unlocked). I tried increasing the power limit by 10%, which seemed to do the trick in Borderlands 2 (for now), but Unigine Heaven produced black screens. Now at 25%, Unigine has run 3 passes without an issue. I won't know for sure for a day or two, but things seem to be looking up.

Thanks for the suggestion, Stanley!

That'll have everything you need. Just run "MemoryInfo.exe" within the "Hawaiinfo12" folder.

No worries, black screens were the bane of my existence for a while. Lots of tinkering and it came down to memory timing issues. Since I'm not skilled enough to hack up a bios to change memory timings (nor do I even know what timings would be good) I figured more power usually works ;).

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

That was the utility I was thinking of, even had it unzipped in my download folder still :)

Looks like my first GPU has Elpida RAM, and can't tell for sure with that utility but probably also the second, since they're both HIS cards ordered at the same time and neither unlocked. No black screen issues though, and like I said, they've been good lately.

edit: also, in just what way is this RAM supposed to be flaky? because mine ran for days at 1500MHz no problem.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Straker posted:

Is there any particular reason for saying this? Just curious - I know I mentioned in at least one thread but I mined a couple gimmicky altcoins for fun for just a few days and to get the best performance out of 290s you generally have to oc the VRAM and sometimes even underclock the GPU. You can get pretty crazy overclocks on the RAM without any special cooling, especially if you don't have to worry about dealing with heat from an overvolted OCed GPU, and mining makes it super obvious once you start getting errors, more than just a couple flashing pixels does at least. Unless you're just saying not to bother because it's generally not very helpful, in which case yeah of course, nobody overclocks their system RAM any more either.

If you'd like a really detailed response and he's in the mood for it, ask Professor Science about the stability of GDDR5 and overclocking. The basic gist is that while you can post some (visually, pretty remarkably) high numbers, you start running into errors very quickly into the adventures of trying to run out of spec the GDDR5 and the memory controller and, consequently, the whole memory subsystem (as such... not really analogous to a CPU's memory subsystem but not germane to the topic). You can see a pretty good breakdown of some older behavior-as-intended with Fermi SMs vs. VLIW SIMD cards (5000-series from AMD) in this paper - http://www.ece.lsu.edu/lpeng/papers/iiswc11.pdf - no longer applicable, since SMX is weird and we're one update to VLIW and two iterations of the newer GCN u-arch (which went from VLIW SIMD to RISC SIMD) away from what's being discussed in the paper there. The main thing is just that it's all a very delicate process, that GDDR5 without error correction is difficult to trust when run outside of its intended parameters (and can kick up issues even at nominal speeds, as we're seeing with the Elpida memory sucking monumental amounts of rear end).

Hopefully VRAM overclocking issues that aren't showstopper system crash issues won't ever manifest as anything other than some mistakes in geometry or textures or whatever, but a supposed-stable VRAM overclock is a good place to start looking if you notice instability that doesn't follow a consistent pattern in active use but artifacts or crashes out inexplicably, even after hours of stability.

It's a totally different matter talking about stability under GPGPU conditions where math errors manifest more readily - a Memtest86-like program for GDDR5 would be pretty damned revealing even when pointed at overclocks that we as gamers probably consider stable, throwing around bit errors left and right.

CrazyB
May 14, 2003
The world needs more zombies.
I've seen a few graphic cards "the mod" to put a CPU watercooler on the card and some talk about Kraken X10, but does anyone have any experience setting up the Kraken X10it up? I just got mine in the mail and a few reviews/forum posts suggestion putting some copper VRAM heatsinks and was wondering if anyone found any that would fit well.

I'm sort of in a bind as I have a 760 and I'm thinking this is a lot of work for this card and thinking maybe I should upgrade to 780 or 290X if I want to mess with this. Would water cooling a 760 be overkill if I'm not hitting serious heat problems?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

CrazyB posted:

I've seen a few graphic cards "the mod" to put a CPU watercooler on the card and some talk about Kraken X10, but does anyone have any experience setting up the Kraken X10it up? I just got mine in the mail and a few reviews/forum posts suggestion putting some copper VRAM heatsinks and was wondering if anyone found any that would fit well.

I'm sort of in a bind as I have a 760 and I'm thinking this is a lot of work for this card and thinking maybe I should upgrade to 780 or 290X if I want to mess with this. Would water cooling a 760 be overkill if I'm not hitting serious heat problems?

I put together a The Mod card using a non-Kraken adapter bracket.

It would be pretty overkill to The Mod a 760, yeah. The Mod can handle hugely more power dissipation than a GeForce 760 can put out, which is handled fine and at low volumes by air cooling.

I didn't use any copper on my VRAM or whatnot and it's working fine. The VRAM just doesn't get that hot; the rear fan on the bracket does just fine moving air and cooling the chips. That said, I'm not overvolting the VRAM any or overclocking it particularly hard; I'm focusing on the GPU itself.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Agreed posted:

It's a totally different matter talking about stability under GPGPU conditions where math errors manifest more readily - a Memtest86-like program for GDDR5 would be pretty damned revealing even when pointed at overclocks that we as gamers probably consider stable, throwing around bit errors left and right.

There is a MemtestCL that works on the gpu memory.
https://simtk.org/home/memtest/

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does Vsync work with odd refresh rates? I remember a long time ago I used a monitor with an 85 Hz refresh rate. When I wasn't getting 85FPS how was it syncing "42.5" frames? Did it throw out alternate frames or would there be tearing from exactly half the screen updating? It doesn't really matter now, it's just something I was wondering about and couldn't find the answer by searching.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Phuzun posted:

There is a MemtestCL that works on the gpu memory.
https://simtk.org/home/memtest/
the associated paper is interesting in that they find lots of soft errors independent of temperature or overclocking, but overclocking definitely exacerbated the problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

craig588 posted:

How does Vsync work with odd refresh rates? I remember a long time ago I used a monitor with an 85 Hz refresh rate. When I wasn't getting 85FPS how was it syncing "42.5" frames? Did it throw out alternate frames or would there be tearing from exactly half the screen updating? It doesn't really matter now, it's just something I was wondering about and couldn't find the answer by searching.

As I've recently discovered, some programs won't force triple buffering by default with VSync enabled and so will immediately downshift to double buffering (42.5fps on your monitor) when the framerate dips below maximum. You can solve this by downloading a program like D3DOverrider to force triple buffering or using NVidia Inspector / Radeon Pro to set the framerate limit with Adaptive VSync enabled.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just add more resolution until your FPS drops below max of the monitor then vsync isn't an issue :)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The veedub method :golfclap:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thinking about it some more, the length of a second probably isn't what matters. It's probably just doubling the length of time a frame is displayed.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
A question for people who use a dedicated PhysX card: how hot does that card get, and what kind of fan does your main GPU use? The fan on my 560 Ti 448 is starting to become louder than I really like when under load, and I've been looking to get a new GPU anyway (the 770 has been going up in price though, which is annoying), but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the old card. At 40% fan speed it's still fine, so if being used as a PhysX card won't make it go over, say, 60 C, I can probably get away with just leaving the fan on minimum. I imagine it will be affected by the type of fan on the other GPU, since a non-blower type will be dissipating heat into the case rather than out of it, so that's another consideration.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Mine's an EVGA 650 Ti, it doesn't get very hot at all (maybe 45-55ºC under heavy PhysX load, and right under a 780Ti with an internal exhaust cooler) and uses a single 90mm fan to cool it. It exhaust internally.

I can make it get hotter with FluidMark, but games don't do that.

Should probably note that I have a really weird airflow setup designed to cool the poo poo out of the PCI-e slots and bottom half of the mobo generally.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

GokieKS posted:

A question for people who use a dedicated PhysX card: how hot does that card get, and what kind of fan does your main GPU use? The fan on my 560 Ti 448 is starting to become louder than I really like when under load, and I've been looking to get a new GPU anyway (the 770 has been going up in price though, which is annoying), but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the old card. At 40% fan speed it's still fine, so if being used as a PhysX card won't make it go over, say, 60 C, I can probably get away with just leaving the fan on minimum. I imagine it will be affected by the type of fan on the other GPU, since a non-blower type will be dissipating heat into the case rather than out of it, so that's another consideration.

I use a reference GTX 670 and the highest I've seen is 58 C. It's unnoticeable.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Nostrum posted:

I use a reference GTX 670 and the highest I've seen is 58 C. It's unnoticeable.

When you say reference do you mean it has the crappy reference cooler on it but the GPU temp only peaks at 58 C while under load? :stare:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

spasticColon posted:

When you say reference do you mean it has the crappy reference cooler on it but the GPU temp only peaks at 58 C while under load? :stare:

Nvidia Reference coolers aren't all that crappy since the 600 series came out. They're actually pretty good by blower standards.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

spasticColon posted:

As a dedicated PhysX card, which shouldn't tax a 670 too much.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rumors/leaks about the first nVidia Maxwell cards are starting to firm up. The first Maxwells will be be built on the existing 28nm manufacturing process and will be released as the GTX 750 and GTX 750 Ti to slot in below the GTX 760 in the product lineup, and as you might expect will be a few percent faster than their GTX 650 and GTX 650 Ti counterparts. nVidia's plan seems to be to test the Maxwell architecture on 28nm for a while before doing a process change to 20nm for the 800 series.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That would suuuuuuuuck. It'd mean a March launch date without any cool cards for, what, 6-9 months later?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Means I made the right decision in buying 290s :)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Factory Factory posted:

That would suuuuuuuuck. It'd mean a March launch date without any cool cards for, what, 6-9 months later?

That just means I can buy a new PC without fretting about whether I should wait another month just to be sure.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Lord Bude posted:

That just means I can buy a new PC without fretting about whether I should wait another month just to be sure.

But what about those of us who are using 500 series cards and were gonna upgrade? Sooooo long now

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ramadu posted:

But what about those of us who are using 500 series cards and were gonna upgrade? Sooooo long now

Should have bought a 780 when the price drop hit, I'm feeling pretty smart right now.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

Means I made the right decision in buying 290s :)

:pcgaming::respek::pcgaming:

I thought I was pretty badass with 2 of these cards...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What's something useful I can get from Newegg for 42 bucks. I got a gift card from them because they put the 290s on sale the day after I ordered mine. Expires on the 9th, so I'm trying to figure out what to buy that won't just be a waste.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

What's something useful I can get from Newegg for 42 bucks. I got a gift card from them because they put the 290s on sale the day after I ordered mine. Expires on the 9th, so I'm trying to figure out what to buy that won't just be a waste.

http://promotions.newegg.com/premier/trial/index.html

You seem to buy enough stuff?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Update on the 25% Power Limit increase Stanley recommended a few days ago: have not had an issue since (and I've gone fishing for them). Fingers crossed!

I recall there being someone who wondered why Elipda memory was plagued with issues, I believe this thread goes into it.

veedubfreak posted:

There was a deal on a Seasonic 660 X2 a day or two ago that may still be on-going (recalled hearing about it in the PC Part Picking thread). Beyond that, hmm...a pre-order for something? Diablo 3 expansion? :shrug:

Mmm, this is a little worrying, as most of them are things Newegg has traditionally provided anyway. But then maybe they cut me slack since I've dealt with them since 2001 or so.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now that the good Maxwell cards have been pushed back I'm really tempted to get an R9 290 after the price gouging ends but would my Corsair 650(HX or TX?) be enough to power it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spasticColon posted:

Now that the good Maxwell cards have been pushed back I'm really tempted to get an R9 290 after the price gouging ends but would my Corsair 650(HX or TX?) be enough to power it?

Easilly. This system in this review is only pulling 350 with a 290/290x. You could use a 450w power supply if you wanted too. Anand was hitting around 380w with 32gb ram and a Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz

http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page8.html

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Easilly. This system in this review is only pulling 350 with a 290/290x. You could use a 450w power supply if you wanted too. Anand was hitting around 380w with 32gb ram and a Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz

http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page8.html

That's good news. I was afraid I'd have to get a new PSU if I got a 290.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

SwissCM posted:

That's good news. I was afraid I'd have to get a new PSU if I got a 290.

Yeah, you won't have a problem. My old PSU was an Antec BP-550 that ran it just fine alongside an overclocked i5, 4 hdds and an ssd. I only replaced it because the PSU was coming on 4 years old and I got a great deal on a Seasonic 760 XP2 Platinum.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 5, 2014

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The good news is that 700 series cards are starting to go "on sale" and that at least a couple sub-$400 R9s were in stock over the last week, if only for a few milliseconds.

Things are looking up. :smith:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
That's disappointing news about the Maxwell cards getting bumped back. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade from my 3GB 580 SLI setup but I think a 780Ti would be at most a sidegrade, and I'd be better served using that money for literally anything else.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

FYI those with money to blow, the MSI GTX 780Ti GAMING GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB is on sale at newegg for $669.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127770

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is the price gouging on the R9 cards going to end by springtime? I really want to get an R9 290 for my birthday in late April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostpilot posted:

Update on the 25% Power Limit increase Stanley recommended a few days ago: have not had an issue since (and I've gone fishing for them). Fingers crossed!

I recall there being someone who wondered why Elipda memory was plagued with issues, I believe this thread goes into it.

There was a deal on a Seasonic 660 X2 a day or two ago that may still be on-going (recalled hearing about it in the PC Part Picking thread). Beyond that, hmm...a pre-order for something? Diablo 3 expansion? :shrug:

Mmm, this is a little worrying, as most of them are things Newegg has traditionally provided anyway. But then maybe they cut me slack since I've dealt with them since 2001 or so.

Sweeet, I'm glad it's working. Took a look through that thread and it seems that +25% seems to be the magic number for power. Both for running blackscreen free AND overclocking. I almost regret getting the Sapphire cards because of the Elpida memory they us. Almost.