Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the vocal evolutionists and scientists got kicked off of FR sometime around 2007. Most of them moved to darwincentral.org, which in practice is a place for right-wing nerds to hang out and hate on FReep. Kind of like SomethingSensitive is to SA. One of them, a guy who goes by the handle PatrickHenry, maintains a fairly decent blog dedicated to trolling creationists called "The Sensuous Curmudgeon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

Whatever you read about his background is probably lies put out to make this fraud seem smart.

I feel like this is a perfect encapsulation of freep's approach to research: You start with your opinion about something, and dismiss any source that contradicts you as "probably lies"

At least this guy had the balls to do it pre-emptively rather than trying to make up some poo poo about actual sources. Though that "probably" makes him sound kinda wishy-washy so he'll probably be banned soon

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
If they do go on an earnest zotting run in that thread, there are some serious dissenting voices. Freeper Zarthras is probably only still around due to his regdate (1998).

Posts like this:

quote:

And still the Earth is more than 4000 years old.
See how debating this is stupid.

I’m not saying YOU are stupid or your faith is wrong.
The debate is pointless since Faith can never be proven.

If you’ve never been to Israel, I suggest you find a way to go visit. The people are very nice and you will see strange things which confirm scripture and others which say “Ok that’s impossible”.

They call it “The Probable, The Possible and The Impossible tour”

For instance, much of the Probable is in Galilee. You will see the town Peter lived, where Jesus did the sermon on the mount. Even local Jews believe this happened near these locations.

The Garden of Gethsemane is also highly considered Probable.
The description matches portions of Scripture and it has been there a long time.

On the Impossible side is many (but not all) of the Churches built in the Old City on Religious sites. Most were built in 1400 AD based on rumor and Religious tradition.

are far more reasonable than any Freeper has a right to be.

In contrast, there's this post by A Formerly Proud Canadian which aptly sums up how Biblical literalism hangs on a tiny, delicate thread:

quote:

Actually, mankind, per the Bible is approximately 6,000-7,000 years old, not 4,000 years old. Jesus never said, "Oh, BTW, that Adam and Eve thing? Wrong! Those dates are REALLY off!" Instead, He said in Matthew 5:18, "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." In 2 Timothy 3:16, Paul writes, 'All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness'.

Jesus believed that the scriptures were true. The Apostles believed that Jesus is God the Son, the second person of the Trinity. As a Christian, I also believe this. God is defined as omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient; and incapable of lying by His nature. Old Testament cannon was established in the 1st century BC, therefore each synagogue had the same scrolls (or at least some of them) and did not uses non-canonical scrolls. What Jesus and the disciples read at various synagogues were therefore, the same. Since Jesus (God the Son) cannot lie and did not correct anything from the Old Testament, I have to believe that it is true.

If there is one error in the Bible, it cannot be 'God-breathed', so therefore, one error makes it is worthless. Likewise, if Jesus either lied about the truth of the OT, or misunderstood it, then by definition, He cannot be God and our hope is lost, Christian belief is wrong and we, all people, have no hope of salvation and the whole Bible needs to be thrown out.
57 posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:20:23 PM by A Formerly Proud Canadian (I once was blind, but now I see...)

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 4, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yep. Turns out the Bible is all sorts of hosed up and everybody's soul is damned because of a multitude of copying errors in the Bible down through the ages.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

In contrast, there's this post by A Formerly Proud Canadian which aptly sums up how Biblical literalism hangs on a tiny, delicate thread:

It also sums up how they think they can destroy science by pointing out holes in a theory. They really believe that if a theory not 100% bulletproof it has to be thrown out and start all over from scratch instead of trying to close those holes by revising the theory. It also probably explains why they're so obsessed with Darwin's original Theory and not Modern ToE, which while Darwin was a good starting point was shaky as hell simply due to data being so hard to collect in that era

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah, this guy doesn't have a serious engineering or science background at all!

It doesn't even matter, anyway. What was Christopher Hitchens' background that made him so credible to debate this subject for years? His background was being Christopher Hitchens. Other than that, he was a writer and a fan of pissing off creationists.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

When God created man he did so as a fully developed mature being. God did not raise Adam and Eve from a baby.

If He were to create the earth wouldn’t it make sense that he would create a planet fully formed and mature?

Uh what? Did God create Adam complete with fake scars so it would look like he had a childhood?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yep. Turns out the Bible is all sorts of hosed up and everybody's soul is damned because of a multitude of copying errors in the Bible down through the ages.

When I was growing up I was taught that copying errors just didn't happen, period. Oh and there was no loss of meaning in the translations from Hebrew, Aramaic, or Ancient Greek when changing over to modern English :psyduck:

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

VitalSigns posted:

Uh what? Did God create Adam complete with fake scars so it would look like he had a childhood?

When God created Adam he arrived in Eden like how the Terminator arrives in the past.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's mainly because it's easier to make absurd syntax arguments to justify your personal theological interpretation using the English text than it is to learn Greek and Hebrew to do it there.

Evangelical Protestantism was founded on a strong distrust of any scholarship you don't personally understand.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

VitalSigns posted:

I've just realised how confusing children would have been to Adam and Eve. Beings like them would have no frame of reference. Heh bitter jealousy that their spawn got to have a maturation process instead of God just assuming they have adult decision making skills.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I've just realised how confusing children would have been to Adam and Eve. Beings like them would have no frame of reference. Heh bitter jealousy that their spawn got to have a maturation process instead of God just assuming they have adult decision making skills.

They got their adult decision making skills from the apple, dummy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

quote:

To: Uncle Chip
What the article doesn’t state is there is a gang of midgets dressed as Girl Scouts doing home invasions in the area.

Very brutal, kicking people in the shins thus disabling their defenses.

24 posted on 2/4/2014 1:58:02 PM by ImJustAnotherOkie (zerogottago)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

This is a joke post. There is absolutely no way someone can type this out and not be bursting out laughing at how ridiculous of a concept this is.

What the gently caress am I saying, this is FReep we're talking about. :eng99:

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

:unsmigghh: Report: Sandra Fluke Mulls Run for Henry Waxman's Seat :unsmigghh:

quote:

To: 2ndDivisionVet

I wonder how many guys she will “reward” for their promise to vote for her; possibly enough to win given her level of activity.

4 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:57:46 PM by Pollster1 ("Shall not be infringed" is unambiguous.)

quote:

To: Pollster1

My dog has higher standards than that.
6 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:03:17 PM by 2ndDivisionVet (Jealousy is when you count someone else's blessings instead of your own.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

That fitting result of this, however, would be that if she runs, wins, and then also serves twenty terms as did her predecessor, she will provide the same enduring service - only this time for females, how fitting! - to America as he: that of being the most physically repulsive person in congress.

9 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:07:34 PM by Belteshazzar (We are not justified by our works but by faith - De Jacob et vita beata 2 +Ambrose of Milan)

Perhaps a rare moment of clarity from a freeper?

quote:

Women's vote carries Obama to victory on historic election night

Gee THANKS FOR DESTROYING AMERICA, LADIES!!!!! /s
13 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:16:34 PM by Obama_Is_A_Feminist

Wait for it...

quote:

To: Obama_Is_A_Feminist

The sarcasm tag was for the ‘THANKS’ part, not the ‘DESTROYING’ part. The destruction isn’t sarcasm.

14 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:17:26 PM by Obama_Is_A_Feminist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

quote:

Let’s see ....going from a man whose face qualifies as instant birth control to a woman who wants everybody else to pay for her birth control? Seems like a one issue congressional district.

19 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:20:59 PM by Cyman (We have to pass it to see what's in it= definition of stool sample)

quote:

Well now.. The crappy hooker goes to
Washington.

23 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:33:47 PM by ScottinVA (Obama is so far in over his head, even his ears are beneath the water level.)

quote:

To: Cyman

Let’s see ....going from a man whose face qualifies as instant birth control to a woman who wants everybody else to pay for her birth control? Seems like a one issue congressional district.

She wants to keep government out of her bedroom,
but wants it to pay for everything that
goes on in there.

25 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:40:23 PM by markoman (The man with the rubber glove was....surprisingly gentle.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

This is strangely poetic, like some horrible freeper haiku

Slut runs for congress
wants me to pay her for sex
just lay down and DIE!!!

quote:

How would she have the time to run with all the birth control she needs?

30 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:11:55 PM by The Great RJ

quote:

Well...I suppose that she’ll be very busy in the Congressional Cloak Room. Will they refer to her as Congresswoman Choo-Choo?

I can just see it now.

31 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:15:37 PM by Howie66 (Molon Labe, Traitors!)

quote:

To: Cyman

President Reagan was famous for keeping a huge jar of jelly beans nearby.

Congressslut Fluke will have a jar full of rubbers and morning-after pills nearby?

33 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:19:55 PM by Howie66 (Molon Labe, Traitors!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Freep's answer to e e cummings:

quote:

slut

34 posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:21:20 PM by Elle Bee

California 33rd is a D+11 district, but it doesn't stop this freeper from dreaming!

quote:

I hope that bimbo slut does run. That will give us a chance to take that seat away from the Dems.

40 posted on Monday, February 3, 2014 11:07:12 AM by Din Maker

For those of you playing War on Women bingo at home, this thread has:

Abortion Barbie, skank, slut, hooker, Congresslut, bimbo

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Wow, how do you own a gun without ever finding out that pointing a gun at someone is assault?

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

That and "plain and simple."

'Common sense' is the big trigger term for me, although it's not entirely specific to Freepers. Whenever you hear one of these types describe something as 'common sense', you know there's a big ball of assumptions and prejudices running down a hill towards you.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Ghetto Prince posted:

Wow, how do you own a gun without ever finding out that pointing a gun at someone is assault?

No idea, I don't own a gun but was taught from day one around them to never point one at someone unless you intend to shoot them. I guess that's pretty well-known gun ownership teaching.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Wasn't it Einstein who said common sense is just a set of prejudices you collect till you're eighteen?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
E: Wrong thread.

Bob James fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 5, 2014

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The average :freep: is a bubbling cauldron of spite, fear, and various neuroses. But every once in a while an honest-to-god crazy person shows up:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3117843/posts

quote:

To: LyinLibs
Wait till they discover Obama's NOT BLACK.

My guess?

He's an IRANIAN plant (from Indonesia/South Pacific) with afro hairplugs (CORRECTION: shaved head + theatrical hair panels on latex base).

Notice all these scalp sections, divided by scars/seams?

ALL those scars?

Go see for yourself -- do a search and look at photos.

He's had hair work done.

His scalp is fully sectioned off.

ORANGE line: Why is there a 'vein' running the entire edge of his temple hairline? Because it's a seam (the edge of his LATEX THEATRICAL WIG PANEL, smoothed by stage makeup).

PURPLE line: Another SEAM (aka 'scar') along the rear edge of that same 'side/section' of hair.

PS if I 'die of natural causes' anytime soon, it means I got Fuddy'd or Breitbarted. I'm in PERFECT HEALTH.
47 posted on 1/31/2014 8:09:50 AM by LyinLibs (If victims of islam were more "islamophobic," maybe they'd still be alive.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

Member since 2001. And his other posts are generally just as crazy. The best part is that he's never called on any of it, since the worldview of a paranoid schizophrenic is only very slightly different from freep's.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If I was a congressperson, I'd keep a jar of condoms on my desk simply to troll the gently caress out of fascists like Freepers. I wholeheartedly support that idea.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Georgia Peach posted:

No idea, I don't own a gun but was taught from day one around them to never point one at someone unless you intend to shoot them. I guess that's pretty well-known gun ownership teaching.

Either the guy was crazy or being a deliberate, major rear end in a top hat. I lived in a totally poo poo neighborhood for years and there's no way that I would have pulled a gun on anyone as I opened my front door, especially not a little kid.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Threatening children with firearms is ok, because I'm one of those responsible gun owners. Not like one of those crazies giving us all bad names.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Isn't violent crime the lowest it's been...ever? It's just so sad to see people subsist on a diet of nothing but FOX News and Drudge Report thinking that there's riots in the streets and they have to be armed 24/7. :(

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Did school shootings and violence happen as frequently in the 1880s or 1930s and just wasnt reported, or remembered?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Georgia Peach posted:

I don't think a freeper would listen to any instruction in gun ownership training and instead be daydreaming about the [insert demographics they hate] they will shoot in the inevitable Civil War II.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Did school shootings and violence happen as frequently in the 1880s or 1930s and just wasnt reported, or remembered?
I think so, at least on a per capita basis. (There were a lot fewer people back then, naturally, so you have to correct for that.)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Holy poo poo that's my district. Awesome.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Multiple-shootings and mass-shootings weren't reported in the 1930s, but as always, Wikipedia's got you covered on on the terrible things you need summarized in an easily readable list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DarklyDreaming posted:

Holy poo poo that's my district. Awesome.

There's nothing awesome about Waxman retiring, dude's a legislative beast.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's nothing awesome about Waxman retiring, dude's a legislative beast.

Yeah I'll admit that stings a little, I'm gonna miss voting for that glorious human being :smith:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah I'll admit that stings a little, I'm gonna miss voting for that glorious human being :smith:
:freep:: B-b-b-b-b-but he's funny looking!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3116116/posts

Viennacon posted:

The thing is the Muzzies always blow up regular people. If they blew up idiots like Macklemoore and Queen Latifah, I wouldn’t care at all. Everyone who participated in this satanic ceremony is an ENEMY of the country.

Should we seize power at some point in America’s future, we can redo the ceremony except with firing squads.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

I know how much it gets repeated in this thread, but I love the hilarity of Freepers talking about Obama's military rule and scary authoritarian dictatorship and yet their ideal vision for America usually involves televised firing squad executions, secret police to round up enemies of the state, brutal and indefinite prison sentences for political reasons, etc.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently Freep Loves their cigs and tobacco is some kind of god given right enshrined in the constitution.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3119435/posts

quote:

I find these sorts of erosions of freedoms disgusting.

This is about government control; nothing less. If the government truly was interested in the public health, suppressors would be mandatory for all shooters.

Once there are no smokers to eradicate, look for the government (followed by business) to go after caffeine.

And on. And on.
1 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:01:07 AM by Red in Blue PA

quote:

To: FlingWingFlyer

Forgot to ad in my OP, this is about business pandering to government initiatives. The CEO should be canned for this, as should any CEO who does this sort o thing.

Coca-Cola got on the obesity wagon with the govt and check their stock out for the past few years. This is a stock killer and CVS shareholders ought to take note!

5 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:07:49 AM by Red in Blue PA (When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty.-Thomas Jefferson)

quote:

To: Red in Blue PA

Okay. I’ll buy that.

With any luck, CVS stock will follow the Coca-Cola route, CVS will see the error of their ways, and they will reverse the decision.

11 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:12:18 AM by WayneS (Respect the 2nd Amendment; Repeal the 16th (and 17th))

Yup, that's it, eventually CVS will single ban everything.

quote:

To: caver

How many people die from the side effects of prescription drugs every year?

What about banning sugars? After all, a few people may become diabetic because they cannot control themselves.

An caffeine is not the healthiest product out there. Gotta stop that.

What about makeup for women? It is claimed that some cause cancer.

By the time we are done saving the world, CVS will have a total of 8 SKU’s.

What a pathetic excuse for a CEO.

16 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:17:34 AM by Red in Blue PA (When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty.-Thomas Jefferson)

quote:

I will never spend another dime there!

24 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:25:34 AM by BigCinBigD (...Was that okay?)

quote:

To: tanknetter

19% of the population smokes. CVS is saying to 19% of the population that they don’t want their business. (and this does not include the business they will lose from people like me who are non-smokers but are pi&&ed t these types of moves)

If you think that is a good move in any way, then I have a bridge to sell you.

26 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:27:06 AM by Red in Blue PA (When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty.-Thomas Jefferson)

Ahh. The real reason behind it.

quote:

I know they had a recent CEO change and I think a woman is at the helm now.

40 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:53:30 AM by PistolPaknMama

quote:

I find these sorts of erosions of freedoms disgusting. This is about government control; nothing less.

I agree it's ridiculous. I think CVS here is trying to get PC publicity.

Hey, they sell narcotics at CVS. What's the problem with tobacco?
50 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 6:05:02 AM by Pearls Before Swine

quote:

To: DoodleDawg
[b]And for every person like you there's probably 10 who are saying this morning, "Great for CVS. I'm going to start shopping there."[./b]

And they make their purchases with food stamps as they proclaim their love for big government.
It's still marginally a free market economy and if CVS chooses to alienate a portion of their prospective patrons by going PC all power to them.
It matters not a wit to me.
57 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 6:36:18 AM by Amagi (Lenin: "Socialized Medicine is the Keystone to the Arch of the Socialist State.")

quote:

10 years from now, CVS will no longer exist. The brand just committed suicide.

64 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 6:54:02 AM by NorthMountain

They hate the free market if it goes against their idea of what the world should be. I have to assume that Red in Blue PA smokes like 3 packs a day and lives next to a CVS or something. He's so loving pissed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Interestingly the bar I like to go to recently fell in line with Ohio law and stopped allowing people to smoke in the bar. Now all the regulars will flip-flop between bitching about having to go outside to smoke, and exclaiming how much money they've been saving without chain smoking in one spot and how much better they feel.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I don't think CVS does that much cigarette business to begin with. I can't recall ever seeing somebody buy a pack of cigarettes at a CVS, even though they have a big wall of tobacco products behind the register counters. This is all anecdotal, of course. But if I had to guess it's probably gas stations that depend more on the cigarette business. Unfortunately for Freep I think we'll all find that CVS will do just fine without tobacco, seeing as how they're a loving pharmacy in America, the country that is absolutely dependent on prescription and over-the-counter drugs to survive.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Article I read said something to the effect of 1.6% of its yearly revenue comes from tobacco, so yeah, they'll probably be fine. Or dead within 10 years. One or the other.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I don't think CVS does that much cigarette business to begin with. I can't recall ever seeing somebody buy a pack of cigarettes at a CVS, even though they have a big wall of tobacco products behind the register counters. This is all anecdotal, of course. But if I had to guess it's probably gas stations that depend more on the cigarette business. Unfortunately for Freep I think we'll all find that CVS will do just fine without tobacco, seeing as how they're a loving pharmacy in America, the country that is absolutely dependent on prescription and over-the-counter drugs to survive.

The CVS near my apartment sells a shitload of tobacco products, mostly because it functions as the 'local convenience store' much like a gas station shop or a 7-11 here. There are a non-negligible number of people doing their grocery shopping there as well. Note that this store is located directly on a major subway/bus connection outside of Boston, so it's probably not typical.

Plinkey posted:

quote:

To: FlingWingFlyer

Forgot to ad in my OP, this is about business pandering to government initiatives. The CEO should be canned for this, as should any CEO who does this sort o thing.

Coca-Cola got on the obesity wagon with the govt and check their stock out for the past few years. This is a stock killer and CVS shareholders ought to take note!

5 posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:07:49 AM by Red in Blue PA (When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty.-Thomas Jefferson)

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Just wait until that Freeper boycott kicks in! :fsmug:

• Locked thread