Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Clairvoyant should be MODOK. Not a crappy reimaginining designed of help non-nerds suspend disbelief. It should straight-up be a giant head on a weird, floating, manbaby body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, after the horrible, horrible start this season got off to, I must begrudgingly admit I was quite impressed by this episode. It had that little 'spark' that the show hasn't really had up until now.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Pretty good episode.

GLOSS posted:

Hahaha jesus, another month long hiatus? Way to keep people interested in the show, ABC...

EDIT: I realize they may be trying to avoid the Olympics but it's only the Winter Olympics, no one cares about those except for the hockey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=effb2JYiKXM

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
I really enjoyed it.

Problem is these Smallville-esque forced mysteries to hide the serialization. Just tell a compelling story with a beginning, middle and end, dammit.

The only way 'the Clairvoyant' will be interesting is if it's literally Coulson from the un-alterable future, back to destroy S.H.E.I.L.D. But even if it is, I know there's going to be 10 "let's investigate this shiny guarded item" - episodes to get there :(.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Goredema posted:

Because what the world needs more of is Whedon trotting out his so-stale-it-might-as-well-be-M-Night-Shyamalan "twist" of killing off characters in order to generate dramatic tension.

Whedon has killed off very few characters, and when it has happened it has always led to great stories. Peoples exaggerations about how he murders characters left and right are way worse.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I want to love this show.

I got so excited when I thought Skye was going to die.

My hopes and excitement were immediately dashed when I realized they were going to find a way to save her.

I can't defend this show anymore. I'll keep watching, because I don't want Clark Gregg to think I'm an idiot. :ohdear:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

A Big Dark Yak posted:

the preview literally said something like "What they find leads to AN EVEN BIGGER MYSTERY!" because Jesus gently caress that's not old yet

There was a preview for Lost once that hyped up something like "5 mysteries will be revealed" and it turned out to be a really lame episode about one of the characters tattoos. I'm not sure anything we learned in the episode was a revelation. Certainly not 5 things. What I'm saying is the marketing people are dumb and make the previews.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

Whedon has killed off very few characters, and when it has happened it has always led to great stories. Peoples exaggerations about how he murders characters left and right are way worse.

All I can really think of, main cast wise is Doyle, Cordelia, Wash, Book, BuffMom, Fred, magic lesbian woman, and the watcher who's name I forget.

Which honestly, you're averaging a decent chunk per series there. Though the first two were due to circumstances outside the show, and the second two was a movie outside the show, and the last one was a series finale.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This was a decent episode overall, and was fairly enjoyable when the focus was on Coulson/Ward/May. The team really should have consisted of one tech kid instead of 3, with 2 other high level agents who could engage in field work. There were still a few things that bugged me like Skye turning into Agent May lite when she has had a few months of training from Ward at the most. This was the second episode where she seemed to have no qualms engaging armed opponents. I also missed how Skye and Fitz were able to get off the train and to the house where where the sale was being made to Quinn.

Overall the show seems to be on an upward trend, but it's still has a long way to go before it reaches the standard of a lot of other network dramas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've said this before, but this show reminds me of an 80's show, like The A-Team. Specifically in the "comic book" nature of the bad guys. They're always stereotypes, they're always ultimately harmless, and they really are just plot obstacles in order to create drama for our heroes.

Which made me think: Is there a "Comic Book" style that Marvel has developed/implemented? Consistent through the movies and this show? I mean, comics themselves follow this formula to the nth degree. Bad guys are just story points, and nothing that will ultimately upset the status quo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oasx posted:

Not to mention, what's the alternative? Never killing off any main characters ever? How exciting that sounds.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BreakAtmo posted:

Not to mention, what's the alternative? Never killing off any main characters ever? How exciting that sounds.

What a coincidence. I just rewatched Zombieland the other day and I think it might be the only zombie movie where none of the main characters die. Despite that, it still manages to be really exciting and fun.

How strange.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redshirt posted:

I've said this before, but this show reminds me of an 80's show, like The A-Team. Specifically in the "comic book" nature of the bad guys. They're always stereotypes, they're always ultimately harmless, and they really are just plot obstacles in order to create drama for our heroes.

The part where they always try to shoot the bad guys with their "night-night gun" so they only stun them and not kill them is like something out of the loving Super Friends cartoon.

Metropolis posted:

This episode actually would have been a bombshell if they didn't show Mike having survived the explosion before so we don't find out he's alive until Skye does, and if they didn't advertise Deathlok being in the show.

spikenigma posted:

The only way 'the Clairvoyant' will be interesting is if it's literally Coulson from the un-alterable future, back to destroy S.H.E.I.L.D.

This thread sometimes reminds me of the time Mark Twain reviewed a play he'd had to sit through by basically rewriting a better version of the entire thing to show where the playwright had hosed up. I wanna see the show you guys are imagining. :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

What a coincidence. I just rewatched Zombieland the other day and I think it might be the only zombie movie where none of the main characters die. Despite that, it still manages to be really exciting and fun.

How strange.

Yes, I'm sure that was the exact reason Zombieland was fun. Also, a movie is exactly the same as an ongoing TV series and therefore comparing the two isn't dumb at all.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Really enjoyed this episode, but it's killing me that they're taking another break. Was it ever mentioned if you could possibly overdose on dendrotoxin? If so, then Fitz double-tapping is pretty loving stone-cold. :stare: But like it was mentioned before, it's standard Metal Gear Solid strategy. Also Ward going Chow Yun Fat at the end of the episode was pretty great.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 5, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What would be best is if they handle Skye as if this was real life. They gently caress around trying to save her for a week, she looks to be stable then dies overnight.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The preview for the next episode says they're looking for "a cure" for Skye.

The cure....for getting shot in the gut twice? What?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ded posted:

What would be best is if they handle Skye as if this was real life. They gently caress around trying to save her for a week, she looks to be stable then dies overnight.

This would be brutal and pretty awesome. But no, it'll be the gateway to discovering why she was an 084, which I hope will be interesting by itself.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Was it implied Ward was kinda freaking out about how much Coulson was freaking out aboue Skye?

Also, aren't these people all highly trained super agents? Death comes with the territory, yes?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

The preview for the next episode says they're looking for "a cure" for Skye.

The cure....for getting shot in the gut twice? What?

My guess is it'll tie into how Coulson was revived.

Edit: could the bullets have been loaded with toxin? If so the cure line makes more sense.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 5, 2014

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

redshirt posted:

Also, aren't these people all highly trained super agents? Death comes with the territory, yes?

I don't think anyone gets adjusted to seeing an innocent human being dying. You could also argue that Skye is way too green to be out in the field on missions and Coulson blames himself for her situation.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Was it implied Ward was kinda freaking out about how much Coulson was freaking out aboue Skye?

I got the sense that Ward was freaking out a bit because Coulson has always been the unflappable, cool and collected agent, always crusing along smoothly with a slight smile on his face, no matter what. Suddenly Coulson is angry, or sad, or panicking, and having a boss who's suddenly become erratic is probably freaking out a "by the book" guy like Ward.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Mokinokaro posted:

Edit: could the bullets have been loaded with toxin? If so the cure line makes more sense.

Maybe Loeb kept on hearing people compare Arrow favorably to SHIELD, and thought they key to turning things around was people getting shot with poisonous bullets? :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Goredema posted:

I got the sense that Ward was freaking out a bit because Coulson has always been the unflappable, cool and collected agent, always crusing along smoothly with a slight smile on his face, no matter what. Suddenly Coulson is angry, or sad, or panicking, and having a boss who's suddenly become erratic is probably freaking out a "by the book" guy like Ward.

This. Remember earlier in the episode. Ward felt the mission was getting too personal for Coulson, and then he saw Coulson's reaction to Skye. Ward is worrying that Coulson is losing it, which he probably feels is a "very bad thing".

BreakAtmo posted:

Yes, I'm sure that was the exact reason Zombieland was fun. Also, a movie is exactly the same as an ongoing TV series and therefore comparing the two isn't dumb at all.

Stories are stories and I am pretty sure his point is that you don't have to kill off a main character for either dramatic reasons nor because a genre demands it. Zombieland is a zombie movie, a genre in which almost everyone in the cast is usually killed, and in it, no one in the main cast dies, and the movie does not suffer one bit for it. It tells a zombie story that is perfectly entertaining without killing the main cast.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ToastyPotato posted:

This. Remember earlier in the episode. Ward felt the mission was getting too personal for Coulson, and then he saw Coulson's reaction to Skye. Ward is worrying that Coulson is losing it, which he probably feels is a "very bad thing".

That actually makes me re-think Ward's line at the end, when he says he doesn't blame himself. I originally thought he was hinting that he was blaming Skye for getting in over her head, but now I'm thinking he's blaming Coulson for encouraging Skye to take a risk. At the beginning of the episode Ward did note that Coulson had sent Skye on a "warpath."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Especially since Ward says his line, then they cut to May thinking about it and coming to a realization of what he means then a direct cut to Coulson.

Add that to the fact that Coulson was "cool with it" when talking to May about the May/Ward relationship but when Ward brings it up, Coulson busts his balls about it. From Ward's POV, then, Coulson is not only being erratic but actively hypocritical both in the difference in the way he treats May over Ward but also in encouraging Skye to take risks against protocol and now seeming to show the kind of emotional investment in her that Coulson warned Ward against.

All told, Ward's got some pretty good reasons to start to distrust Coulson's judgement.

Which, frankly, is all to the good, I think one problem with the show has been a lack of realistic conflict on the show. It's pretty much just been "Skye's being shady" while everyone else is "Yay, Coulson!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jng2058 posted:

Add that to the fact that Coulson was "cool with it" when talking to May about the May/Ward relationship but when Ward brings it up, Coulson busts his balls about it. From Ward's POV, then, Coulson is not only being erratic but actively hypocritical both in the difference in the way he treats May over Ward but also in encouraging Skye to take risks against protocol and now seeming to show the kind of emotional investment in her that Coulson warned Ward against.

Well remember that there was a bit of a difference in how May and Ward handled the situation. May told Coulson about it, and he respects her enough to keep it professional. Ward only said anything because he found out May had said something, and he jumped around the issue like an immature kid "Oh, uh, May and I have been, uh, doing..."it"...but not on the plane!!" Coulson chewed him out over it because just in that little interaction, he proved that he's not handling it in a mature manner like May was.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like they could do it on the plane. These "agents" are imprisoned 24/7.

They have no lives, right?

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

greatn posted:

I heard the next episode starts with Jeremy Renner in Hawkeye garb breaking into Disney offices, and shouting "Jeff Loeb! You have failed this series!"

Talking of Hawkeye.. hands up if you noticed this in the new Captain American trailer?

Yeah, not really Agents of Shield, but c'mon, that's awesome attention to detail!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

jng2058 posted:

Which, frankly, is all to the good, I think one problem with the show has been a lack of realistic conflict on the show. It's pretty much just been "Skye's being shady" while everyone else is "Yay, Coulson!"

Agreed, it's nice to have something that actually feels serious for a change, even though Skye is most likely ultimately going to be fine. Also, this situation kind of points out how silly it is that SHIELD apparently just has a thing that can bring people back to life. I really, really hope that they don't have an episode where Coulson has to struggle with the decision to ask Fury to revive Skye, and then pretends that having some bad memories or a different soul or whatever is somehow less preferable than being dead.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

achillesforever6 posted:

I swear they are going by the Cartoon Network model of Superhero show schedules.

Wow that is a super mean thing to say, but most likely true.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TyrantWD posted:

This was a decent episode overall, and was fairly enjoyable when the focus was on Coulson/Ward/May. The team really should have consisted of one tech kid instead of 3, with 2 other high level agents who could engage in field work. There were still a few things that bugged me like Skye turning into Agent May lite when she has had a few months of training from Ward at the most. This was the second episode where she seemed to have no qualms engaging armed opponents.

I was thinking that too, but then she got discovered like a chump and shot a bunch of times in the stomach so that seemed about right. The rest of her performance seemed about right; I can buy the idea that even an apprentice SHIELD agent can take out a mook so long as they're facing them one on one with a tech advantage and they get the drop on them. That tranq gun is great for an unskilled agent, since even a grazing shot is a takedown, you don't need great aim.

TyrantWD posted:

I also missed how Skye and Fitz were able to get off the train and to the house where where the sale was being made to Quinn.

Yeah that was a bit annoying, and they didn't explain how May followed the French dude either. I guess she hid in his car but then why not take him out earlier? But it's a minor complaint. If they tried to explain how the characters followed the enemies that could easy come out overly-expositiony anyway.

What were worse were the practical effects, like May's knife injury. God that looked terrible. I guess they blew their budget on Mike's leg, which to be fair looked really cool, and the tech gadgets had cool effects too. It's probably a good way to produce the show; if you don't have enough money to make all your effects look good, you have to either make them all look like C-grade, or choose a few important ones to make A/B grade and make the rest D/F grade. Really, that was one of the big problems with the first half of the season; it was just middling/bad all-around, without a lot of either low points or high points. This way is better.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

ded posted:

Dexter did this sorta and it was loving horrible.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

XboxPants posted:

What were worse were the practical effects, like May's knife injury. God that looked terrible. I guess they blew their budget on Mike's leg, which to be fair looked really cool, and the tech gadgets had cool effects too. It's probably a good way to produce the show; if you don't have enough money to make all your effects look good, you have to either make them all look like C-grade, or choose a few important ones to make A/B grade and make the rest D/F grade. Really, that was one of the big problems with the first half of the season; it was just middling/bad all-around, without a lot of either low points or high points. This way is better.

Her wound looked believeable enough for the first couple of shots, but then they just kept focussing on it and giving you close ups, in the age of high-def TV you can't get away with that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha just saw the Stan Lee cameo, do they give him dialogue in the movies?

May has some weird eye makeup when she first gets into the train car room with Biff McHardcheese.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

That actually makes me re-think Ward's line at the end, when he says he doesn't blame himself. I originally thought he was hinting that he was blaming Skye for getting in over her head, but now I'm thinking he's blaming Coulson for encouraging Skye to take a risk. At the beginning of the episode Ward did note that Coulson had sent Skye on a "warpath."

The first thing that popped into my mind when Ward said that line was that he was pissed at Fitz for letting her go in by herself.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

"Superheroes? In NEW YORK?! Get outta here!"

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

May has some weird eye makeup when she first gets into the train car room with Biff McHardcheese.

Never as long as in the episode. He had a small line in Thor, Captain America, Avengers, and a few others outside the current marvel movie cannon (Spider man 3 had a long one as well if memory serves)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow Coulson and Whatshisname trying to use the hologram table? That's loving great. I really loved that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spiffster posted:

Never as long as in the episode. He had a small line in Thor, Captain America, Avengers, and a few others outside the current marvel movie cannon (Spider man 3 had a long one as well if memory serves)
He was also a character in the Fantastic Four movies

• Locked thread