Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Liquid Communism posted:

What the gently caress do they teach these loving people in culinary school these days?

I spent fifteen minutes trying to get my hand to stop I'm going to the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society meeting tomorrow at the SF Conservatory of Flowers. My roommate is gonna get super high and come with me. I'm excited! I hope I can pick up some cool sundews and get advice on helping along my seedlings. Anybody here gonna be there? I remember someone mentioning BACPS earlier in the thread. tonight at work. Ended up resorting to just walking around swearing with it elevated and under pressure, and then supergluing a skin flap down on my knuckle. How'd I cut it?

Our newest baker, who just finished her degree at Johnson & Wales in CO, apparently doesn't have the sense god gave little green apples. Not only did she decide to use one of the store's paring knives to open loving boxes of butter, she left that cocksucker in the fridge. So of course, when I go digging for the blood orange curd I made yesterday for today's danishes, I found it. With the back of my hand to the sharp side.

I wish to do murder right now.

That's pretty hilarious/idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
I was always taught that you don't leave knife lying around (in dish sinks, in walk-ins) because if somebody cuts themselves, they'll be pissed off and have a knife within easy reach.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Liquid Communism posted:

What the gently caress do they teach these loving people in culinary school these days?

I spent fifteen minutes trying to get my hand to stop bleeding tonight at work. Ended up resorting to just walking around swearing with it elevated and under pressure, and then supergluing a skin flap down on my knuckle. How'd I cut it?

Our newest baker, who just finished her degree at Johnson & Wales in CO, apparently doesn't have the sense god gave little green apples. Not only did she decide to use one of the store's paring knives to open loving boxes of butter, she left that cocksucker in the fridge. So of course, when I go digging for the blood orange curd I made yesterday for today's danishes, I found it. With the back of my hand to the sharp side.

I wish to do murder right now.

The last time I "accidentally found" someone's paring knife in the sink, I asked everyone the brigade who it belonged to. When nobody owned up to it, I told them that if it didn't belong to anyone I was going to keep it. It's a MAC, probably worth about $40 and I'm surprised that whoever left it there didn't want to keep it. It's not like I was actually going to stab them with it (much).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tweek posted:

I was always taught that you don't leave knife lying around (in dish sinks, in walk-ins) because if somebody cuts themselves, they'll be pissed off and have a knife within easy reach.

Unfortunately, she's safe from my immediate wrath, as she works the opposite shift, 10-6 to my 12-8.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Haven't had knife problems, but I did once find a spatula encased in a block of ice in our walk-in freezer. It was a pretty huge :psyduck: moment because I'd been looking for that thing for a month.

Also, the general manager comes in today, starts unplugging and deep cleaning poo poo about an hour and a half before the 'busy period' starts. When I'm usually baking up extra stock. I think I'm going to put in my resume for that front desk job in a chiropractor's office. I don't have any medical office experience, but I learn fast, have 4 years of office IT experience, and almost an associates degree in business administration. At worst, I can sell myself on being able to understand their EMR system. Right? :eng99:

Else I wait for my FASFA, and as soon as I get money, jump ship and join the ranks of the full time students and get my old IT job back. Pay'll be lower, but at least the management I had to deal with on a day-to-day basis wasn't utter poo poo.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Customers confuse me. A good Tuesday night third shift during the winter has been $300 from 11PM to 7AM. But get a travel advisory because we've had several inches of (ongoing) freezing rain and we do a $200 hour from 11-midnight. Where the gently caress are these people when you don't have to risk life and limb to get here?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Kenning posted:

That's pretty hilarious/idiotic.

What's with the edited quote and am I the only one who noticed?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Sir Spaniard posted:

What's with the edited quote and am I the only one who noticed?

woah what the gently caress

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't usually use the quote button, unless I wind up on the top of a page and the post I'm responding to isn't visible directly above my own post. Then I go back and edit in the quote to which I am responding.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Tonight a waitress came back and asked for a knife to cut a cake for a birthday party we had in. I was on break (read, spending five minutes standing outside to calm down, tonight was hosed. Half the shift was late, and half the previous shift left early). The only person on the line handed over one of my knives, because why loving not? It comes back and the waitress tosses it into the silverware bus tub without telling anyone. If the dishwasher hadn't gotten incredibly lucky and happened to grab the handle...

The worst part is the same waitress did the same loving thing a month ago, and I tore her a new one for both borrowing a personal knife (we have a ton of shop knives), and for throwing the loving thing into the dish pit. I'm not sure if she's too stupid to learn, or just doesn't care if other people have fingers. Or both. I'm leaning towards both.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
My housemates don't understand why I keep saying "no knives in the sink NO KNIVES IN THE GODDAMN SINK" and I expect the only way anyone will really "get it" is a hospital visit.

The worst part is people often just drop them in point first rather than laying them down gently, and several of my knives are longer than the diagonal of the sink (since it curves in at the bottom) so literally every knife in the house has a bent tip. :smith:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

My housemates don't understand why I keep saying "no knives in the sink NO KNIVES IN THE GODDAMN SINK" and I expect the only way anyone will really "get it" is a hospital visit.

The worst part is people often just drop them in point first rather than laying them down gently, and several of my knives are longer than the diagonal of the sink (since it curves in at the bottom) so literally every knife in the house has a bent tip. :smith:

Sounds like you need to change the rule to NOBODY TOUCHES MY KNIVES.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

At least they don't put your good knives in the dishwasher.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

Wroughtirony posted:

I sadly put my fiancee on this system. I at least bought her a block of knives from goodwill though for her own abuse.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

This has always been my policy with roommates. As much as I enjoy sharpening my knives (I really do), I don't enjoy doing it because someone put it in the sink or scraped it along a fork or some poo poo.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Wroughtirony posted:

Without other people's chef's knives, how would #10 cans of tomato paste ever get open?

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Cercies posted:

I sadly put my fiancee on this system. I at least bought her a block of knives from goodwill though for her own abuse.

I know you were making a joke. Have you considered trying to educate said fiancee? If I couldn't learn my SO how to properly handle a knife I don't know if it'd be possible to continue that relationship. I mean that's like pretty basic common sense. It's not like you're training someone to use the force, it's pretty basic. One end sharp, other end not sharp. No touch sharp. Metal no touch sharp. Good.

"Here is a tool. Do this with the tool. When finished with the tool this is what you do. Here are the reasons why you the treat tool like this."

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Tweek posted:

At least they don't put your good knives in the dishwasher.

:shepface:

Ask me about how one of them got new dishwasher racks for Christmas (a year ago). Racks that had all the pegs, and weren't covered in thousands of rusting cuts through the vinyl layer to the steel below. Ask me what the new ones look like now.

:shepicide:

The knives in the house before mine moved in were a 60-year-old never-sharpened set of CutCos. That one of them still swears are better. They don't cut Jello. Sentiment is a hell of a drug.

e: I should point out that my knives are nice, but not $Pro nice. And the upsides of the people I live with do in fact make the knife treatment issue easy to tolerate. They're good people. I'm complaining because GWS (especially this thread) is probably the only people who will understand my frustration. :shobon:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 5, 2014

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

I'm complaining because GWS (especially this thread) is probably the only people who will understand my frustration. :shobon:

Hey, man. We get it. There is a reason when, if Chef wanted you to sharpen your knife, he would say, "You need to make love to your knife."

Shh. No one else understands your love.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tweek posted:

Hey, man. We get it. There is a reason when, if Chef wanted you to sharpen your knife, he would say, "You need to make love to your knife."

Shh. No one else understands your love.

Preach that poo poo. I love my knives. They're not the best or most expensive, but I take care of those fuckers, and they can take just about anything in a single stroke.

And my housemates know to ask me permission before using the good stuff in the kitchen. And they know not to touch my knives.

Because if they do, someone will find the body.

And keep finding it. :unsmigghh:

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Warmachine posted:

I love my knives. They're not the best or most expensive, but I take care of those fuckers, and they can take just about anything in a single stroke.

What'd you want, a cookie? You're supposed to take care of your knives you low-expectation-having mother-fucker!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you have lovely housemates just switch to Chinese cleavers, no tip to mangle and they sharpen back up in seconds.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

This has always been my policy with roommates. As much as I enjoy sharpening my knives (I really do), I don't enjoy doing it because someone put it in the sink or scraped it along a fork or some poo poo.

Same here. My good knives are in my knife roll in my room, all I leave out is my chinese cleavers and a beat up Chicago Cutlery santoku I don't have much other use for.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've finally given up on maintaining nice knives while I live with roommates. When I have my own place I'll go out and buy a few nice knives and keep them neat and razor sharp. Until then I'll just have to sadly remove them from the sink and grimace when I find them point down in the silverware rack. Thank God for Victorinox.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I got lucky. My roommate is happy with one of my nice knives. He just kind of picked out his own favorite from my nice things and it stays in the kitchen. I've only seen it in the sink a couple times over the last year, it's usually cleaned after every use, so I don't bitch. For the most part my other knives get locked up at work (we have lockers) when I'm not using them. I consider the extra wear on my knife part of my rent, since I pay basically nothing.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

So of course, when I go digging for the blood orange curd I made yesterday for today's danishes, I found it. With the back of my hand to the sharp side.

"Well boss, the good news is today's blood orange curd is seriously loving real."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

"Well boss, the good news is today's blood orange curd is seriously loving real."

So, in Thrilling Tales Of Culinary School Graduates :

I came in last night to 'Hey Commie, make cranberry filling.' on the whiteboard. No big deal, I make most of our fruit fillings anyway for breakfast pastries, it's almost theraputic. Crack the fridge, and pull out the container of cranberries, and notice something's off.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never seen a 1" wide cranberry with a crater from being pitted. Same wonderful girl decided that 'welp, it's red, it's obviously cranberries!' and somehow missed out on the giant bloody label on my 10lb box of frozen cherries.

Not exactly monumental, but how do you make -that- mistake? We didn't even have any cranberries in the store. I ended up running to HyVee at 3am to pick some up.

I'm getting too old for this poo poo. Luckily, I finally managed to take a long weekend. Only took six months!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

So, in Thrilling Tales Of Culinary School Graduates :

I came in last night to 'Hey Commie, make cranberry filling.' on the whiteboard. No big deal, I make most of our fruit fillings anyway for breakfast pastries, it's almost theraputic. Crack the fridge, and pull out the container of cranberries, and notice something's off.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never seen a 1" wide cranberry with a crater from being pitted. Same wonderful girl decided that 'welp, it's red, it's obviously cranberries!' and somehow missed out on the giant bloody label on my 10lb box of frozen cherries.

Not exactly monumental, but how do you make -that- mistake? We didn't even have any cranberries in the store. I ended up running to HyVee at 3am to pick some up.

I'm getting too old for this poo poo. Luckily, I finally managed to take a long weekend. Only took six months!

why didn't you just make cherry filling? is it like a contract requirement for whoever you're cooking for?

honestly I would have just done that poo poo with a grin : "here's your cranberry filling! =) =)"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nah, it was for one of my favorite wholesale customers, and they promised someone cranberry. I like their business too much to dick around. :)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Just looking for a bit of validation here. I've turned down jobs at my 2 favorite hangouts for the 2nd time today because I enjoy them too much as a customer. They're both really excellent places to work that both are near the top of their respective games for this city and having astoundingly good business.

I'm not being too stupid am I?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Taking a job at my favourite hangout was what got me into this industry and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I could see not wanting to spend all day at the place you currently like to unwind at though. I dunno, I'd personally ignore that aspect and take/not take the job based on normal job-taking criteria.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Today was a rockin' service out front on bitch detail omlette station, tons of business, lovely customers, and either early-90's David Bowie or his doppleganger tipped me bus fare and beer money. Good times, great oldies. But HOLY loving GOD my runner. This loving guy...

After two straight hours of slamming service I'm finally out of arugula. Normally its spinach, we had no spinach, gently caress it arugula owns. With the third hand I didn't know I had I wave the runner over and ask for more--he says we have none. Huh? In the last twelve hours we've gone through like four flats of arugula? Okay, gently caress it stranger things have happened. "Get me kale, get me mixed greens, just give me something leafy and green in a six pan"

He comes back holding a six pan with two bunches of cilantro in it, and he's definitely not kidding, and I get that vertiginous feeling where either some really loving absurd poo poo is going down or the terminally large gulf between myself and the rest of humanity has at long last opened.

He claims that after our produce delivery there was simply no sorting everything out, stuff was all over! I check the cooler after service and not only is there there approximately 2.5 fuckloads of arugula that hasn't been touched since I touched it yesterday, in the section of the cooler that is specifically for leafy green poo poo, there's also a bunch of other greens we got in the delivery that would have been really great to have about three hours ago.

Homie was getting the gears for a bunch of other poo poo too so I let it slide because aside from that things went really really well, but, drat.

e; oh, also, his idea of cutting strawberries is ripping off the leaves at the top and leaving the woody part of the stem 100% intact, but we can work on that later. baby steps.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Also, temps in this neck of the woods have taken a dip and interior temps front of house get as uncivilly low as *gasp* sixty degrees!! And: If I see. One more. loving. Server. Huddled in their little kiosk, shoulders slumped, going "bbrrrrrrrrrr oh my gosh! its so cooollllddd!!!" I swear to the beautiful black baby jesus I will warm them up with a can of sterno and a matchbook.

Here's a fun winter survival tip from a reared and raised Vermonter: MOVE AROUND. You are a server. You have tables. You are wearing long sleeves and at least an undershirt. Walk! Left foot, right foot, repeat as necessary. If it gets too bad, go to the loving kitchen, there's a window there with heat lamps and everything. At no cost to you, we've also placed in that warm spot the plates your customers have been asking after for twenty loving minutes now. You know, the plates? The things with food on them the cooks have gotten disgusted looking at as tickets pile up and taken out themselves?

e; I gotta restate though, this was a really loving great day really. This is not actually a poster typing these words, this is a big ol' ball of adrenaline breating out the fire on the internet aided with the gains of his David Bowie's Clone's beer money. Thank you GWS, I feel much better now.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 7, 2014

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When it was in the teens a few weeks ago maintenance thought it would be a good idea to turn the heat off on Tuesday when we're closed since no one is there when we're closed right?
Nope, there's always an overnight baker there whether we have dinner service that night or not. That night it happened to be me trying to get bread dough to proof in low to mid 50's temperatures inside.
Everyone just simple forgets that we(the overnight bakers) exist.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:arghfist::chef:awful appppp

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Willie Tomg posted:

Homie was getting the gears for a bunch of other poo poo too so I let it slide because aside from that things went really really well, but, drat.

e; oh, also, his idea of cutting strawberries is ripping off the leaves at the top and leaving the woody part of the stem 100% intact, but we can work on that later. baby steps.

He is so toally going to get himself fired very soon. Information just does not stick with that guy.

E; the guy is also a walking safety hazard. I think he's been responsible for more accidents than the rest of the hotel combined last year.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 8, 2014

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Things I Love: Corporate master comes rolling in, starts to wave his dick around. Managers go into a TURDS OUT WARBLING PANIC and start screaming and rushing around and mandating edicts that just... gently caress. Shut the gently caress UP. You only care that you'll get fired or fined, your panic is an active detriment to the servers and backwaiters. I'm over here keeping my cool doing appetizers by myself on 3 hours of sleep with NO PROBLEMS because the morning kid called me for a last second fill so he can go do stuff, and I am just being screamed at over literally the smallest of details, all because some pencil neck guffawing dork whose limp hand I shook is around to make the playboys quiver in their trousers.

And I still only made $20 in tips. This is loving stupid, and I am finding a new job. I'm not working 3 hours a day like I'm some disposable college flunkie. At least the kitchen is cool.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Willie Tomg posted:

Also, temps in this neck of the woods have taken a dip

The dining room isn't 60 degrees during service is it?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

pr0k posted:

The dining room isn't 60 degrees during service is it?
Our dining room(we work together) is in a gigantic glass atrium, and there is no way for us to control the temp, just because of the design of the hotel. So yeah, it can be as low as 50F in the lobby/restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

When it was in the teens a few weeks ago maintenance thought it would be a good idea to turn the heat off on Tuesday when we're closed since no one is there when we're closed right?
Nope, there's always an overnight baker there whether we have dinner service that night or not. That night it happened to be me trying to get bread dough to proof in low to mid 50's temperatures inside.
Everyone just simple forgets that we(the overnight bakers) exist.

They do this to me every Sunday. Turn the heat down at close of business noon Saturday, and by the time I come in it's 40 in the bakery. I always just toss a couple of the big stock pots on the range and boil 'em with the hood off until it's 70 and steamy in there.

• Locked thread