Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Improbable Lobster posted:

It can't be worse than GAY THOUGHTS and DIKPIX, the Slurpuffs I got off Wonder Trade.

GAY THOUGHTS is an excellent name for a Pokemon, or indeed anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Hammerite posted:

I think it's pretty antisocial to pollute Wonder Trade with illegitimate mons. Unfortunately, there are probably a whole load of people who think that it's a good idea to wondertrade loads of illegitimate stuff they got through bank, so I guess I probably won't wonder trade any more.

Luckily, you don't need to keep my Dittos. They're not, like, competitive. They don't have Impostor. They're just good for breeding. Personally, I'd like a little less busywork in my grinding for the perfect mon. People like me are gonna be in the minority anyway. Nobody's really gonna trade away their hyper Garchomp twink.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm breeding for HP Ice, Infiltraitor Litwicks. Got one with 31/x/31/31/x/31! Not bad at all, great breeding stock. Check out the IVs. 5 in Attack, 29 in SpDef. Very, very nice! Only then do I recognize that she's Flash Fire. :bang:

Anyone want a Timid 4IV Flash Fire Litwick? v:v:v

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 5, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kuhmondo posted:

The only issue is that i'm not going to bother making HP specific Dittos because it's too much effort. They're just going to be standard 6IVs with silly names if I come up with any. I can make HP specific ones on special request if people really want it that bad though. We'll just have to wait and see if everything works out when bank comes out for NA.

I just want a 5-6IV Ditto because the amount of time it'd save for breeding is simply immense.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I love Mandibuzz :allears:

Dude sends out Smeargle, I lead with Talonflame. Talonflame brings it to 1% *yay sash*, it Spores. I bring in the MVP. He Shell Smashes. I whirlwind.
Baton Pass to Dragonite! Dragonite uses White Herb to Restore stats!
:wave: Bye Dragonite!
So in comes Pinsir! He Swords Dances, I Foul Play, crit, and 1HKO it. Out comes Landorus. I don't feel like saccing something for a clean switch to Greninja, so I whirlwind that out for now.
In comes Dragonite again. He Dragon Dances.
Did you not just see the part where you are only making me stronger?
Forfeit after I whirlwind it out anyway.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I would also be interested in one of these perfect breeding ditto if anyone is keeping tabs.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-84773833

:allears: Escavalier is the best you guys.
I loving love that thing. With a choice band and the right moves, it can wreck poo poo.
Mine has Drill Run (in case I notice a Heatran and need to ruin its' poo poo), Iron Head (for Fairy-type and all-around poo poo-ruining), Pursuit (for hit-and-run poo poo ruining) and Megahorn (for grass, psychic, and Dark-type poo poo ruining).
Banded Megahorn will always OHKO Trevenant, Breloom, Goodra, good chance for Garchomp SERIOUSLY injures Genesect on the switch in (when you promptly get the gently caress out)...This thing is the star player of my team and he came out of nowhere. I love him.

I DID have Swarm but then it occurred to me that Spore is a Powder move, and thus I can block this fucker from being shut down by Breloom too easily.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MinistryofLard posted:

VV Oh yeah I'm keeping him and he's going to be my best friend and I'm gonna pet him and feed him all the pokepuffs he can eat :3:

I feel like they really missed an opportunity with Feebas and friendship evolution. Milotic would make sense as fairy/water, too.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I feel like they really missed an opportunity with Feebas and friendship evolution. Milotic would make sense as fairy/water, too.

That might actually hurt its' bulk (adding a weakness, taking away steel resistance) though.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

I have multiple spare Ruby and Sapphire cartridges if you want one/if it would help to farm jirachi's to give to people here. I'll mail you one if you'll spread Jirachis around

I would love to take you up on the offer but I'm also missing the GBA link thing for it and I just tested my bonus disc and it can't be read by my Wii. I guess that's what I get for not treating my stuff right when I was a teenager.

Hammerite posted:

Besides, in the event that the illegitimate mon fills in pokedex data that wasn't previously filled-in, that's an accomplishment erroneously registered by the game. For example, in the case of the posited French Ditto, if I go on Wonder Trade and receive a French Ditto which I consider to be illegitimate, I get a French Pokedex entry for Ditto which as far as I'm concerned ought not be be there. I can release the offending pokemon, but there isn't any way to delete that data from the pokedex. Given that I like to try to fill in the pokedex by legitimate means, this reduces my enjoyment of the game.

How do you even tell in a lot of cases whether something is hacked or just RNG abused or something? The most obvious hacked stuff won't pass either the pokebank filter or can't be used online in any way (and that includes wondertrades).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Classtoise posted:

That might actually hurt its' bulk (adding a weakness, taking away steel resistance) though.

I'm not talking about that kind of stuff, I don't know anything about competitive pokemans. It just seems fitting.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not talking about that kind of stuff, I don't know anything about competitive pokemans. It just seems fitting.

It can be pretty without being a Fairy :colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Gonna post this to vex Kraken :3:

Team :hitler: coming through-

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-84783938

Bulky Landorus-I is pretty cool, although it's tempting to run Focus Miss sometimes :negative:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 5, 2014

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'm breeding for HP Ice, Infiltraitor Litwicks. Got one with 31/x/31/31/x/31! Not bad at all, great breeding stock. Check out the IVs. 5 in Attack, 29 in SpDef. Very, very nice! Only then do I recognize that she's Flash Fire. :bang:

Sup pain in the rear end, candle breedin' buddy :hf::smith:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

Just hold onto it imo, Flash Fire is also a great ability in a lot of situations (like in doubles against a charizard).

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh god, horde battles are so intense with Wonderlocke runs. Please don't die, Zorua. :ohdear:

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Man, I have lost four in a row this morning. That hurts.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-84838473

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

planetarial posted:

How do you even tell in a lot of cases whether something is hacked or just RNG abused or something? The most obvious hacked stuff won't pass either the pokebank filter or can't be used online in any way (and that includes wondertrades).

Gen 4 and 5 (and hopefully Gen 6 eventually) Pokecheck.org has a legality checker. It copies your Pokemon when uploading to their fake-GTS and you can check it there.

RNGed mons aren't actually hacked, though. But Pokecheck.org's checker will denote it as "Edited or RNG Abused". Green means okay, yellow is caution, red is illegal/hacked.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Militree posted:

Man, I have lost four in a row this morning. That hurts.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-84838473

At least you're *presumably* not losing to horrible luck.
Fully Paralyzed, then missing 3 Megahorns. Then Mega Tyranitar Thunderwaves the next guy...fully paralyzed. Then the next. Same.
Next match, missing Thunder on an easy OHKO and getting confused with Swagger to break my sash.

:sigh: Not a good day for Pokemon.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

planetarial posted:

They're basically indistinguishable, but I consider RNGed stuff to be just about as bad - in either case, you're abusing the game to instantly generate Pokemon with superior stats without putting in nearly as much effort as legitimate breeding. Then again, I must be the only person who doesn't want a hacked 6IV Ditto - if I'm going to resort to Pokecheck myself up a 6IV Ditto to save time, then clearly I have no issue with hacking so why not just save a little bit more time and Pokecheck up the exact breeding parents I want with perfect IVs and the exact egg moves I want? If I'm opposed to one I ought to be opposed to the other, and if I'm opposed to doing it myself then I ought to oppose trading for it too; I'm not interested in trying to sneak around my personal objections to hacking and try to find ways of using hacking that "don't count".

Now, that's entirely a personal conviction. I don't care if other people hack (unless Battle Spot pits me against someone with a team of 6IV shiny legendaries, in which case I think I can rightfully be annoyed), it's a videogame and everyone should enjoy it as they please as long as they keep it to themselves and are not using their hacking to gently caress with other people's fun. But there's no way to opt out of receiving hacked stuff on Wonder Trade and, frankly, I'd rather get another loving elemental monkey than a 6IV Ditto.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't care if other people hack (unless Battle Spot pits me against someone with a team of 6IV shiny legendaries, in which case I think I can rightfully be annoyed) but there's no way to opt out of receiving hacked stuff on Wonder Trade and, frankly, I'd rather get another loving elemental monkey than a 6IV Ditto.

If you happen to un-luck int a 6IV Ditto I will gladly take it off your hands.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Statistically, considering the number of people who've purchased and played X and Y, there's probably at least one 6 IV Ditto out there that has been legitimately generated. Maybe you got that one? :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Main Paineframe posted:

But there's no way to opt out of receiving hacked stuff on Wonder Trade and, frankly, I'd rather get another loving elemental monkey than a 6IV Ditto.

You can always, you know, just loving release it and stop being such a weirdo. That's kind of opting out of using it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You can always, you know, just loving release it and stop being such a weirdo. That's kind of opting out of using it.

No man you don't get it their poke-honor has been tainted forever and the only option is to burn their SD cards.

Gonna be honest I don't get it either, and honestly I feel like this treatment of hacked/cloned pokemon is inhumane. Haven't any of you seen the first two mewtwo movies? Just because they're clones/made differently doesn't make them any less of pokemon! Don't blame the pokemon, blame the maker. That said, I'll be opening my house for unwanted, unloved hackmons.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches
Sometimes using an outside advantage is a slippery slope for people and leads to cheapening the experience through lack of self control. I say this being one of those people- any time I have a way to work around something just for convenience, like hacking in event legendaries for the pokedex, I wind up going a bit nuts with the freedom, like a bunch of shinies I wound up frivolously generating a few gens ago. Sometimes not having the option is the way to go.

That said, just toss out any obviously hacked crap if you don't want them and you're fine.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

CasualMaleXL posted:

Sometimes using an outside advantage is a slippery slope for people and leads to cheapening the experience through lack of self control. I say this being one of those people- any time I have a way to work around something just for convenience, like hacking in event legendaries for the pokedex, I wind up going a bit nuts with the freedom, like a bunch of shinies I wound up frivolously generating a few gens ago. Sometimes not having the option is the way to go.

That said, just toss out any obviously hacked crap if you don't want them and you're fine.

This ^^

I won't start genning pokemon because I know I won't stop at just the event mons I don't have. Half the fun is getting the teams ready to battle, not just the battling itself.

Also I got traded a Korean 5IV Jolly Shiny Landorus. I feel really bad about using it in wifi battles, but when I put it up for trade on the GTS for another Landorus noone took it for a full week :shrug:
At this point I figure I'll just keep using it until I can find a legit Jolly one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

CasualMaleXL posted:

"I have poor self-control so other people shouldn't be able to do things that wouldn't affect me if I had a reasonable sense of moderation."

This is a really crap argument. I'm going to flat-out say it - I'm okay with gen'd mons as long as they're completely legit pokemon and not being used in official competition - if I want to do simulator battles in real life with a friend and we want to use movesets that are really stupidly hard to get on pokemon that are hard to get good stat spreads on, there's nothing wrong with generating one for a casual battle so long as that set has the legal EV total and all legal, released combinations of moves, natures, and abilities (for example, Espeed Genesect can only be Hasty).

If you're battling on VGC, they have their own legality checker. It sucks that battle spot can be bogged down with hacked 'mons but honestly I don't see a problem with any particular sets as long as they follow the criteria of "legal EV total and all legal, released combinations of moves, natures, and abilities".

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

pokebank for America is live

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Pixeltendo posted:

Holy poo poo, it really is! Woohoo!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pixeltendo posted:

motherfucker, they're gonna remove it before I get home from work probably

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Better late than never! Now to begin my quest to get all the rare-rear end event legends.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Pixeltendo posted:

No more hostages!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zoness posted:

"I have poor self-control so other people shouldn't be able to do things that wouldn't affect me if I had a reasonable sense of moderation."

This is a really crap argument. I'm going to flat-out say it - I'm okay with gen'd mons as long as they're completely legit pokemon and not being used in official competition - if I want to do simulator battles in real life with a friend and we want to use movesets that are really stupidly hard to get on pokemon that are hard to get good stat spreads on, there's nothing wrong with generating one for a casual battle so long as that set has the legal EV total and all legal, released combinations of moves, natures, and abilities (for example, Espeed Genesect can only be Hasty).

If you're battling on VGC, they have their own legality checker. It sucks that battle spot can be bogged down with hacked 'mons but honestly I don't see a problem with any particular sets as long as they follow the criteria of "legal EV total and all legal, released combinations of moves, natures, and abilities".

Whenever I unwisely start an argument like this (it's always unwise), it invariably turns into an argument about whether it's fair to people taking part in link battles that other players might use dubious means of obtaining pokemon. It is understandable that arguments would wind up focussing on this because for the most part, generation of illegitimate or dubious-legitimacy pokemon is typically with the aim of obtaining pokemon that are optimised for use in battles. However, I want to point out that I do not actually care if you use pokemon in battle that you cheated to obtain, as long as they are not literally something that you could not have got otherwise. In other words, if you are battling me I don't care if you RNG something with egg moves in gen 5, but I probably will care if you give something a move it shouldn't be able to have.

However, I do care that I don't want to receive dubious-legality mons in trade because as I said in a previous post I derive enjoyment from filling out the dex through entirely legitimate means. If that activity is to be an achievement then it has to be with certain boundaries imposed. To go to an extreme, it's not an achievement to pokegen everything I could possibly want in Gen 5 and then transfer it up, because that's nothing more than a bunch of busywork. (You might feel that filling in the pokedex is intrinsically a bunch of busywork anyway, but at any rate it is a different flavour of busywork.)

It only becomes a problem that other people pokegen things when they spread them liberally around other players, some of whom (like me) may prefer not to take receipt of them. This is usually more of a problem with shinies, since people who pokegen mons often make them shiny just because they can. For me it's not enough to say "well just release it if you don't want it", because 1) maybe I traded something else good for it in good faith 2) it's already been added to the dex by that point.

This was a lot of words but I wanted to make it clear what I am actually whining about so that there are no misconceptions about what it is I am actually butthurt about, thankyou.

Green Bean posted:

Statistically, considering the number of people who've purchased and played X and Y, there's probably at least one 6 IV Ditto out there that has been legitimately generated. Maybe you got that one? :colbert:

You can tell whether something came from Kalos or not by checking the summary page, so this isn't really an argument. If I received a 6iv Ditto that said it was originally from Kalos I would not know what to make of it at this point, because I don't think game manipulation of XY is at all widespread yet. Yes it's likely that a few have occurred naturally (the probability of a Friend Safari Ditto having 6 perfect IVs is only about one in one million) but it's unlikely that I would receive one in trade (you have to also take into account that if the person who found it knows what IVs are and has checked it with the Judge, they most likely won't trade it away).

planetarial posted:

I don't see a difference between hacking and RNG abuse. To answer the question of how you can tell whether something is illegitimate (by my definition) though, sometimes you cannot. If it is plausible that something is legitimate then I assume that it is. This excludes, for example, things from Gen 5 with perfect IVs, because I don't regard it as plausible that you would legitimately (my definition) achieve that in Gen 5, nor that you would trade it away if you did.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to tell if our black/white pokemon are hacked? I'm a little cautious because I bought a used copy and kept some of the pokemon on it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

This ^^

I won't start genning pokemon because I know I won't stop at just the event mons I don't have. Half the fun is getting the teams ready to battle, not just the battling itself.

I don't think think the preparation part is fun at all, so I appreciate anything that expedites the process. Something like an RNG'd and cloned 6IV ditto is a huge time saver and the only way to get something like that legitimately is through blind luck and loads of free time, there's really no skill, effort, or merit to doing things the 'legitimate' way. All it really required is wasting large amounts of time.

Now I'm not saying I'd use a wondertraded pokemon in battle if I didn't know its origin, since that may not pass the hack check, but I have no qualms about using it to breed, since it doesn't 'taint' the resulting offspring in any tangible way.

Immer posted:

No more hostages!

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

It's so clunky switching from Pokemon Transporter to Pokemon Bank to Pokemon W2/B2 (to put stuff in box 1) for each box you want to transfer, but at least it works.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I don't think think the preparation part is fun at all, so I appreciate anything that expedites the process. Something like an RNG'd and cloned 6IV ditto is a huge time saver and the only way to get something like that legitimately is through blind luck and loads of free time, there's really no skill, effort, or merit to doing things the 'legitimate' way. All it really required is wasting large amounts of time.

Now I'm not saying I'd use a wondertraded pokemon in battle if I didn't know its origin, since that may not pass the hack check, but I have no qualms about using it to breed, since it doesn't 'taint' the resulting offspring in any tangible way.

I don't like using dittos for breeding pokemon which have an egg group at all personally. I also like using chains of other pokemon to get males to breed the final ons I need. And then you can use the things you made and spent time on as something valuable to trade for other people's pokemon they spent a long time working on.

That said, that's merely a personal preference and I don't think its wrong to use 'hacked' pokemon for breeding use. At the same time, I would love a 6IV ditto to attempt to breed shiny mons with good IVs like Rotom and Beldum that the designers have not offered any other way to make.

I also agree that it takes a lot of time and a little luck to get the RNG to give you the 'best' results, and that it is in a lot of ways pointless. However I find it quite relaxing and stress-relieving to breed things, especially since I'm not in any hurry to do anything much other than have fun with them with friends or online occasionally.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In general, I have no interest in using hacked Pokemon to battle with illegal moves, or to generate Shinys. I have nothing but scorn for the people I meet in Ratings Battles who only acquired like 65 Pokemon, and evolved 12 times. That said, I do want a 6 IV Ditto for breeding Golurk, and a handful of other genderless Pokemon. Because gently caress that noise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I intend to, but I already release half the crap I get by Wonder Trade, and flooding with even more things I don't want means getting a lot less things I do want. Getting something cool over Wonder Trade is a lot less exciting in general if hacking and duping are rampant, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Speedboat Jones posted:

Is there a way to tell if our black/white pokemon are hacked? I'm a little cautious because I bought a used copy and kept some of the pokemon on it.

Upload to pokecheck.org

• Locked thread